REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Surrey (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682154-surrey.html)

mr_chin 03-25-2013 08:13 PM

Surrey

Is it that bad living in surrey? What are the some pros and cons for people living there?

OTG-ZR2 03-25-2013 08:17 PM

Better safe than Surrey

shawnly1000 03-25-2013 08:17 PM

inb4 fails

Mike Oxbig 03-25-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_chin (Post 8194852)
Is it that bad living in surrey? What are the some pros and cons for people living there?

cons: skytrain gang fights

fsy82 03-25-2013 08:22 PM

really depends on which part of surrey. i live close hwy 10 and 144 and the area is very quiet. i guess thats cause the city of surrey and rcmp station is near by

bloodmack 03-25-2013 08:28 PM

I personally think its taken way out of proportion, you should try looking up some crime rate statistics etc.

trancehead 03-25-2013 08:31 PM

beyond looking at the cost of living,

think of whether or not you would fit into their culture. not just racial, but the kind of minds and mentality that the surrounding area would bring. its a bit more difficult to quantify that, you may have to go explore this facet yourself

if you go downtown Vancouver a lot on weeknights, take that into account too

AAnthony 03-25-2013 08:35 PM

-----

dinosaur 03-25-2013 08:46 PM

There are pros and cons to every city. In reality, Surrey is no different than other places to live.

Keep in mind that Surrey is a HUGE city and each area is totally different. Areas around the skytrain tend to be a bit rougher, but that seems to be a trend in most cities. Newton doesn`t have the best reputation, but there are a lot of neighbourhoods within that area that are pretty nice.

I own a townhouse in Surrey...Clayton Village area. VERY nice neighbourhood, but still considered `surrey`.

Are you asking about a specific area in surrey?

Newton
Walley
Guildford
Fleetwood
Strawberry Hills
Cloverdale
Panorama Ridge
White Rock area
Bridgeview

??

Gridlock 03-25-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8194889)
Newton

We both dated some 'Newton' and that just worked out wonderbar for us all lol.

Bad things happen on the other side of the Patullo bridge. Or great things, if great things to you is drugs.

trix4kids 03-25-2013 10:03 PM

How's fraser heights generally speaking?

dinosaur 03-25-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trix4kids (Post 8194978)

Quiet area. Pretty nice. Family-oriented neighbourhood.

Houses tend to be a little newer (90s-ish) and there is some more development going in now that they put in that under-pass thing.

BurnoutBinLaden 03-25-2013 10:10 PM

Fraser Heights, you mean the area around 160 St and 108 Av? One of the safest parts of North Surrey. It reminds me of Lochdale/Lake City in Burnaby. Newer houses around $800,000ish, a large Chinese and Korean population which means low crime rates and good schools. Great for families. Close to Guildford Mall and nearby civic services, and the Port Mann.

Cons: the C74 is the only bus route and the service is not great. But if you're driving that is a non issue.

What is the neighborhood south of Newton that's a hub for the megahomes East Indians build? Panorama Ridge, right?

Jas29 03-25-2013 10:21 PM

Yep panorama ridge is correct houses are huge
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 03-25-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas29 (Post 8194999)
Yep panorama ridge is correct houses are huge
Posted via RS Mobile

With some great views!

bballguy 03-25-2013 10:24 PM

YOOOOOO BUDDDDYYYYY YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW BUDDY, SHIT IS HECTIC BROOO, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!!

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-25-2013 10:27 PM

the ONLY reason i'll move to Surrey is for FIVE GUYS burgers =D best burger EVER!! =)

bballguy 03-25-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa (Post 8195013)
the ONLY reason i'll move to Surrey is for FIVE GUYS burgers =D best burger EVER!! =)

You're crazy if that's the only reason why you'd move there, because if you've gone to that area where the 5guys is, you'd probably know that it's probably one of the best (if not THE best) places to live in BC: South Surrey.

But BUDDYYYYY, SHIT IS HECTIC YO!!!

drunkrussian 03-25-2013 10:35 PM

i think the cons are really th-*gets shot*

dinamix 03-25-2013 10:38 PM

I just recently moved to south surrey a year ago(originally for raised in van).

Cons.
-far from family and friends
-no good restaurants
-expensive asian food
-crappy asian food
-all restaurants close at 9.
-craxkheads
-surrey blocks
-everything is far
-surrey jacks.
-mma culture.smet.ed hardy
-everybody calls everyone "bro" for some reason
-your friend will never ever visit you
-different culture all together.

Pros

-Tim hortons
-closer to states
Surrey sucks. Only reason I live here Is because I landed a good job.dont go here

-
Posted via RS Mobile

Ronin 03-25-2013 10:47 PM

I've been to Surrey maybe 5 times ever.

!oHenry 03-25-2013 10:53 PM

Pros:
Affordable Housing
Surrey is currently undergoing a phase of development
Lots of parks
Easier to spell than any other regional district in the GVRD
It rhymes with Curry
Streets are easy to navigate/locate
We just got newly issued disposal bins (They're really nice)
Liquor stores everywhere
Bigger than Vancouver
It's always interesting
Samosas (2 for $1)

Cons:
None

DEADBEA7 03-25-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8195008)
YOOOOOO BUDDDDYYYYY YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW BUDDY, SHIT IS HECTIC BROOO, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!!

BUDDDYYY LIKE MY COUSINS AND SHIT YOO ITS SO FUCKING LEGIT BUDDY SO LEGIT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW BUDDY FUCKING SHIT N SHIT

SURREY WUUUTTT

spideyv2 03-25-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8195008)

IS IT YO!?!
Posted via RS Mobile

jbsali 03-25-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trix4kids (Post 8194978)

Extremely quiet and safe. Very family orientated. There are a few elementary schools and a highschool within the area. A majority of the housing in mid Fraser Heights was developed 20+ years ago so some of the exterior finishes may look outdated. Past 108th/ 160th (towards guildford) and 168th/104th (towards port kells) is where you will find a majority of the new housing (5+ years old) and there are some brand new condos in development on the other side of 176th behind the local fire hall. Really modern looking.

The area is constantly expanding and new areas are being developed (construction =hellaslow!). Some of the recent developments were the rec centre, tennis courts, "shopping" complex at 108th/160th and a new secondary school expansion under way. Pretty much everything you need to keep you on that side of the highway. Restaurants and fast food chains aren't that common around here. You'll find yourself driving out into fleetwood or guildford. Having basic transit in the area really filters out crime IMO. Pretty sure there's a single bus route for the area.

Majority white and korean area but east of 160th is more of a brown and white area. Overall I find there is a good mix so you wont find one ethnicity dominant over another IMO.

When people ask where I live i used to say Surrey. I would always get the "Surrey" comments from the "outlanders". I grew up in a great community but I almost always refer to my area as the "Fraser Heights Area" and not surrey for a clear reason. Best to avoid Guildford and City Centre area. Newton and Delta are personal preference.

hope this helps