REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #101
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
What makes Surrey's neighbourhoods "crappy"?
One's perception.

My neighbourhood in Burnaby.. two houses on my street are for sale for >$2,000,000. This should make it a 'nice' neighbourhood, and while it generally is, I know at least 3 houses in proximity that were grow-ops, and we had a guy case the neighbourhood with a visible firearm last summer - presumably an attempted grow rip.

Panicked call from the nanny saying police were at our door warning people to lock themselves inside.

Not cool, and you can't say that doesn't mirror many people's perception of what goes on in the average Surrey neighbourhood.
Advertisement
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #102
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
There are crappy suburbs like Surrey, and then there are more "agreeable" suburbs like Burnaby, Richmond, West Van, North Van with many/most of the amenities that Vancouver has. World of a difference. I would consider living in many of the nicer suburbs, but Surrey, hell no. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. Life is short, why live in a crappy neighbourhood when you can work a little harder/smarter and live in the neighbourhood you want (unless of course, if Surrey is your first choice).
I earn a comfortable income, and thus could choose to reside in any Lower Mainland city. I enjoy life East of the Fraser, so I choose to live here. There's nothing positive or productive about arrogance.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #103
My homepage has been set to RS

Grew up in Fleetwood for most of my life. Had an amazing time as a kid and teenager, playing street hockey, tons of local parks, good library, community centre, lots of golf courses including one right behind my parents place. Someone mentioned Two Ee's Market which hands down offers you everything you need fruit and veggie wise. Wouldn't trade it for anything, loved my neighborhood. As I reached my 20's I wanted more of urban living though... it was tough being in my mid-20's and still living in Surrey as people have mentioned, it is pretty much all chain restaurants and everything is shut down by 9pm.

Moved to midtown Toronto 2 years ago, living in a super dense area, all condos and apartments. Haven't used a car in 2 years because I'm right near the subway and everything I need is within walking distance. 5 minutes walking are 2 grocery stores, lots of pubs, coffee shops, specialty shops, etc. Gave me what I was always wanting in my mid-20's.

Now I'm moving from Toronto back to Surrey at the end of May and I'm not sure how I am going to feel. Still love the neighborhood, so many positives, but driving for 10 minutes just to get some groceries is going to suck. I'm going to miss the vibrancy that an urban setting provides as you walk out your front door.

As a single male in his late 20's, not sure if Surrey is right for me at the moment, but if I was settling down with a family, I would definitely not hesitate to set up shop in Surrey. Always going to be home to me, good and the bad.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #104
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
There are crappy suburbs like Surrey, and then there are more "agreeable" suburbs like Burnaby, Richmond, West Van, North Van with many/most of the amenities that Vancouver has. World of a difference. I would consider living in many of the nicer suburbs, but Surrey, hell no. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. Life is short, why live in a crappy neighbourhood when you can work a little harder/smarter and live in the neighbourhood you want (unless of course, if Surrey is your first choice).
LOL so ignorant. Come over to my house and see how ghetto and shitty my Surrey neighbourhood is...Be sure to PM when you get here, I'll open the gates for my shitty Surrey home.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #105
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
LOL so ignorant. Come over to my house and see how ghetto and shitty my Surrey neighbourhood is...Be sure to PM when you get here, I'll open the gates for my shitty Surrey home.
Do you live in a $10 million house (Is there such a thing in Surrey?)? And even if you did, what's it like a 10 minute drive away? Trailer parks on King George? Kilometre after kilometre of cheaply built McMansions and strip-malls? What good restaurants are there near your house? Where do you go shopping, Guildford Mall? How many years of life is wasted stuck behind the wheel for a typical Surrey resident commuting to/fro work? What makes Surrey memorable? Would Canadians be proud to present Surrey to the world?

People who live in Surrey clearly value quantity > quality. And hey, if that's your thing, then props to you. And assuming that you live in a multi-million dollar home, what would your house cost in Vancouver, North Vancouver, or Richmond? Would you still be able to afford your "gated" house? And if so, what made you choose Surrey over these others cities? I'm genuinely interested.
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #106
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Do you live in a $10 million house (Is there such a thing in Surrey?)? And even if you did, what's it like a 10 minute drive away? Trailer parks on King George? Kilometre after kilometre of cheaply built McMansions and strip-malls? What good restaurants are there near your house? Where do you go shopping, Guildford Mall? How many years of life is wasted stuck behind the wheel for a typical Surrey resident commuting to/fro work? What makes Surrey memorable? Would Canadians be proud to present Surrey to the world?

People who live in Surrey clearly value quantity > quality. And hey, if that's your thing, then props to you. And assuming that you live in a multi-million dollar home, what would your house cost in Vancouver, North Vancouver, or Richmond? Would you still be able to afford your "gated" house? And if so, what made you choose Surrey over these others cities? I'm genuinely interested.
LOL, you are SO dumb; you have NO idea what you are talking about...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #107
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
LOL, you are SO dumb; you have NO idea what you are talking about...
Okay... so you made an assertion (that I'm dumb), but where's the argument? This thread is about the livability of Surrey, so please enlighten those of us that don't view Surrey in a positive light. Note: Calling someone "dumb" is not an argument.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #108

Quote:
Okay... so you made an assertion (that I'm dumb), but where's the argument?
How do you argue with someone who is simply spitting stereotypical bullshit....Yes, there's shitty parts of Surrey, but there are also several awesome parts of Surrey; just like every other nice city out there...
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #109
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
there's shitty parts of Surrey, but there are also several awesome parts of Surrey
1 + 2 = 3 so.. 2 +1 = 3

Maybe I'm just "dumb" as you put it but there are hundreds of other members reading this thread. Why not make your argument why you think Surrey is a great place to live? You can start by countering my "stereotypical bullshit" that I posted in the post above and prove your point. Calling people who have a different perspective "dumb" doesn't exactly add weight to your argument. If I don't like the car you drive and I call you "dumb," does that make me more "right?"
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #110

Quote:
If I don't like the car you drive, and I call you "dumb," does that make me more "right"... or does it?
No, it doesn't, but if you try telling me that my car is slow because it only has 200 hp when it actually has 300 hp, then yes, you are dumb.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #111
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
1 + 2 = 3 so.. 2 +1 = 3

Maybe I'm just "dumb" as you put it but there are hundreds of other members reading this thread. Why not make your argument why you think Surrey is a great place to live? You can start by countering my "stereotypical bullshit" that I posted in the post above and prove your point. Calling people who have a different perspective "dumb" doesn't exactly add weight to your argument. If I don't like the car you drive and I call you "dumb," does that make me more "right?"
You don't have a "different perspective," you are just 'of the stupid'. It is difficult to communicate with such ignorant people such as yourself.
Spy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #112
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

I agree that some families do value quantity > quality. Each home owner has their own reasons towards this approach ie. "getaway" from more urban areas, affordability, reasonably sized homes for larger families, NEW home owners...and the list goes on.
Personally, if I were to decide between an 40 year old house with 4 bedrooms in Vancouver going for 850,000 versus a new/recently built house in Surrey Fraser Heights with 6 bedrooms and plentiful of land going for 800,000...I'd go with Surrey. Why? Affordable, spacious "gated" house, and to be honest, in a family of 5's perspective, sharing a room does eventually get in the way as teenagers get older. Also, I don't really think an old house is worth the investment unless you're willing to fork out for home maintenance (considering older the house = more problems). Lastly, you may be aware of this but didn't express it; the price of an house does not necessarily correlate with the HOUSE itself, but more-so the LAND...
Now, my statement may seem to completely agree with your argument, but does this shed some light into your eyes among other families and their decisions? It's not simply just "you have a choice...why'd you choose Surrey?" or "I/my parents makes x amount of money; get ball like me and live in Vancouver peasants".
I believe each family tries their best to incorporate their lifestyle and budget (if money is an issue) towards the BEST outcome possible.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #113
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy228 View Post
You don't have a "different perspective," you are just 'of the stupid'. It is difficult to communicate with such ignorant people such as yourself.
I always thought that if you want to debate someone you have to present an argument but I guess calling your opponent "dumb" and "just of the stupid" and "ignorant" is argument enough.

This back and forth is not going anywhere so you guys win, I'm "just of the stupid." I either don't understand Surrey engrish or Surrey logic or a combination there-of.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #114
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
You're perfectly correct. There's absolutely nothing within a ten minute drive of Coal Harbour or Yaletown that would detract from the desirability of living there.

Oh wait, the DTES is less than a ten minute drive from some of Canada's most expensive properties... So what was your point again?

BTW, Surrey =/= King George Blvd. That's like saying Kingsway is Burnaby, sketchy parts and all. Speaking of Burnaby (and pretty much every other city in BC), you do realize there are strip malls and shitty houses there as well, no? Hell, you were making fun of Guildford Mall, but Burnaby has freakin' Metrotown.

Quote:
Have you ever been to White Rock or Crescent Beach? I guess all those people who own multi-million dollar homes along the ocean have been sorely misinformed and should sell their homes immediately in order to move to a shitty Vancouver Special shoebox downtown.

You do realize that some people don't like living in the city and actually prefer to own property and not be surrounded by god awful skyscrapers around them? I tried living in the city, but hated it. I prefer to be sitting in my 3/4 acre wooded property watching the squirrels and birds play around me. Or, if I'm feeling extra outdoorish, I could always drive up north and play around on 22 acres of hilltop property. No one gives a shit up there if you're mudding, blaring your music at 2 in the morning, or if you have a giant bonfire because you feel like it.

I don't need fancy overpriced restaurants for dinner or speciality shops to buy high priced groceries. All I have to do is shoot a deer wandering through the property, go to one of the local lakes or rivers to catch some fish, and go outside to my garden for some super fresh, pesticide free vegetables. Oh, an I can walk over to my neighbour's house, which happens to be a vineyard, and pick up some great wine to have alongside dinner.

Yeah, sound like I'm terribly missing out by not living in Vancouver.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #115
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Come on guys, enough with the Surrey bashing. Some of our country's finest, most upstanding citizens make Surrey their FIRST choice when choosing a place to live. It is considered the city of parks and has proven that with plenty in every neighbourhood. Perfect for children of all ages.

Quote:
SURREY (NEWS1130) – The province’s Justice Ministry is giving people the heads-up as Jeffrey Goddard, a convicted sex offender, moves to Surrey. He was released from prison in January.

Goddard is 23-years-old and has been the subject of several warnings from police in the past.

His criminal history includes failure to comply, touching a person under the age of 16, communicating via computer to lure a child under 16 and impersonating a peace officer. The ministry says Goddard has “maintained a versatile pattern of sexual offending, having offended against male and female children, in both an opportunistic and predatory manner.”

http://www.news1130.com/2013/03/28/c...ing-to-surrey/
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #116
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
Come on guys, enough with the Surrey bashing. Some of our country's finest, most upstanding citizens make Surrey their FIRST choice when choosing a place to live. It is considered the city of parks and has proven that with plenty in every neighbourhood. Perfect for children of all ages.

Convicted sex offender moving to Surrey | News1130

Totes bro, but Surrey isn't the only great place to live those fine citizens call a lot of great locations their home.

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The BC Ministry of Justice has issued a warning about a sexual and violent offender released from jail today.

A public warning has been issued about 39-year-old Daniel Michael Perrault.

The ministry says Perrault has a criminal history including sexual assault, robbery, being unlawfully at large, break and enter and failing to comply with court orders.

Perrault has offended against strangers, both male and female, and is known to have used weapons during his crimes.

He’s subject to 14 court orders on his release including not to consume alcohol or non-prescribed drugs, not to possess any weapons and to obey a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

Perrault plans to live in Vancouver and is 5-foot, 10-inches tall, weighs 300 pounds, is aboriginal with blue eyes and has grey hair and beard.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #117
I am Hook'd on RS

Despite the fact that Surrey will never be my cup of tea, you make some compelling points Lomac and I in reality agree with many of them (ie. the desirability of having a large wooded lot, the plague of the DTES).

And thank you for having the decency of writing a proper response given that we clearly have divergent perspectives, giving credence that not all RS members (from Surrey? ) have the mental equivalent of a peanut and that one can still have a proper conversation on this forum.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #118
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:

I think based on your life experiences and you lifestyle, you've never had reason to go anywhere but the crackhead alleys of Surrey. Someone who references King George and the trailer park homes on that street, obviously has been trolling around the late nights look for some crackheads and hookers. Maybe our crack is cheaper and are hookers are better, I don't know, but I do know that you have absolutely no reason to look for or travel to the nicer areas of Surrey because you would stick out like a sore thumb. And yes, I would be proud to show my out of town friends around Surrey as I have many times. My location is a 5 minute drive from the US Border, 15-20 minute drive from Richmond and about a 30-45 minute drive from Downtown Vancouver. I'm about 25 minutes away from Burnaby as well. I have plenty of options to travel to other cities and live in my own if I'm not satisfied with my dining and shopping options. LOL people usually don't move to a city because of their restaurants or their shopping malls. Also, my parents only commute about 15 minutes to get to work every day and not everyone needs to drive out to Vancouver for their jobs. But enough of this, you don't like Surrey, that's fine lol. You can bash it all you want, it won't affect my property value and it won't affect my outlook on the city that I live in. You can throw news articles and list out street names and areas where poverty and drugs and crime are abundant in ANY city in this province, you're just too ignorant to see that.

Enjoy the 2 links below...not because your city won't have them as well but because you failed to recognize that they exist in Surrey...

REALTOR.ca -Property Details F1300186

REALTOR.ca -Property Details F1301244

Last edited by parm104; 03-30-2013 at 09:39 AM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #119
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Despite the fact that Surrey will never be my cup of tea, you make some compelling points Lomac and I in reality agree with many of them (ie. the desirability of having a large wooded lot, the plague of the DTES).

And thank you for having the decency of writing a proper response given that we clearly have divergent perspectives, giving credence that not all RS members (from Surrey? ) have the mental equivalent of a peanut and that one can still have a proper conversation on this forum.
The problem is you set it off with a holier than thou attitude and look down your nose at everyone that lives in Surrey. I don't think most people are saying Surrey is perfect or without it's issues. That said many people choose to live here, like to live here and enjoy raising there family here. There are some real dirtbags here true, but there are also some really good people who like living here.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I wouldn't leave here, I'd buy a bigger property and build a bigger house. I have no desire to live in Richmond or Vancouver even if I could get the same house for the same price there, I loathe going downtown and the Vancouver core but that's just me my personal preference. I know there are plenty of people in Richmond, Burnaby, Vancouver ect. that feel the same way about where they live. It doesn't mean there wrong it's just different strokes for different folks.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #120
Banned By Establishment

Spend 10+ mill to go live in west van so you can spread your arms and touch your neighbors house and yours

Some people value privacy.
Posted via RS Mobile
Sniperslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #121
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

I think that's your problem. You're not opening your eyes enough to see what Surrey DOES have to offer. It may not be YOUR cup of tea, but that does not necessarily mean it isn't for others also.
People are too interwinded with media to the point where they can't even differentiate it with common sense/reality.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #122
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

99% of the people that I know that hated Surrey had only been here maybe 3 times at most. Most people hate on Surrey because of what they hear. None of them ever come here and see what it's all about because they're too lazy or ignorant to get out of their comfort zone. It's real easy to talk shit about anything when you have not experienced it or have had very little experience.

As Quasi had stated above, if I win the lotto, I wouldn't move from here either. I've lived here for nearly 25 years and have loved every bit of it. My family was the first one to buy a lot and put up a house in our area when it was still all woods. I've seen this city grow from barely anything to becoming the 2nd largest city. Within the next decade, it's going to overtake Vancouver as the largest city. Coincidence?

About Surrey, City of Surrey, Surrey Facilities & Communities | Tourism Surrey
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #123
Banned (ABWS)

People who are so judgemental of Surrey from what they've heard on the news or seen on the skytrain are stupid. Most of Surrey is actually nicer and quieter then living in Van or Burnaby. If your going to judge Surrey just from Whalley, which is a tiny part of Surrey, maybe we should start judging other cities from what we see in some parts of South Burnaby and East Van. Or am I just generalizing saying East Van and South Burnaby is bad?
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #124
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

and this trend doesn't stop... riiiiightttt

Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #125
Banned By Establishment

No matter how much you surrey people try and make surrey look nice, it still and always will be surrey.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: