REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #26
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
yep. full load pro-4x (bilstein shocks, skid plates, shorter final drive, aux lights, tranny cooler) is about 37k without incentives..... haha. 10k out of your price range!

although I do find it a bit more civilized than the jeep (no bias opinion, im not crazy into trucks)
Advertisement

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I want to heavily get into off roading
The regulars of the SUV/4x4 forum and I can help identify exactly what you need but firstly, what precisely do you intend on doing with the truck? Does it have to be a rock crawler/mud slinger/snow chucker/trail rider... Do you need storage capacity to be able to sustain longer trips/any trips? In order to go camping with more than two people and any amount of gear or just two people and a lot of gear you will need a trailer. I packed my Jeeps very efficiently and still was unable to carry the gear that I'd wanted. Keep that in mind.

Quote:
I don't like the Fj at all, Too expensive for me new, and i want a new truck this time around. And offroad a wrangler will always be better then an Fj. And the new wrangler is alot faster than an fj.
Offroad a RUBICON is approximately a match for an FJ Cruiser. Even comparing the two isn't really fair though. There will always be obstacles that suit a wider tracked or longer vehicle and obstacles that suit a small vehicle. There are places that an H1 will go that an FJ won't, and your mighty Wrangler will get stuck in places a $2000.00 Samurai will pass with ease. It's okay to say that FJ's are too expensive but they're every bit the equal of the Jeep (and I say that having happily owned many Jeeps over the years - yes I know I haven't owned a 2013 but the fundamental problems still exist: they're tippy, squirrely in slippery conditions if you have offroad tires thanks to the tiny wheelbase, lack of storage space, tradeoff between doors/roof off fun and not being coated in mud/bugs/etc, questionable secure storage space inside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinari-kun View Post
The FJ is much easier to live with, and significantly more tame on the road than the Wrangler. I'd highly suggest looking at certified pre-owned FJs over a new Wrangler any day.
I tend to agree. I feel strongly that the FJ will be a more reliable vehicle long term and I can't agree enough that they're much nicer to drive on road in terms of it's driving characteristics. The downside of no sunroof/removable roof are offset from an airflow perspective by the tailgate window which when I had down provided a ton of air into the cabin.

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm driving an 07 FG2 right now... I'm not liking it. It's small, drones way too much for me even with stock exhaust, tired of not being able to go off road, and tired of getting stuck in 5 inches of snow. Wrangler just suits my needs i guess... Unless you wanted to hook me up with a 2013 Xterra for a similar price?
I don't even know what I'm rambling about anymore but I'll conclude with the Wrangler is an awesome vehicle but don't be fooled by the salespeople. Until you get into a Rubicon trim and/or upgrade a ton of stuff you aren't 'that' capable offroads. Remember that the Trail Rated emblem is on the side of the Liberty too. Although it's a beast offroads. To be frank if you want to do some serious offroading what you do is you keep your city driving car/suv/whatever and you build an older vehicle to your whatever your necessity may be. You could spend 25k on a Wrangler, 40k on a Rubicon, 50k on a Trail Teams FJ, or (generously) spend 5-10k on a 4Runner/Land Cruiser/1st gen Xterra/TJ/etc/etc/etc with 8k into mods and be more capable and you won't shed tears every time you scratch it or break something. Because you will break things. Anyways a stock Wrangler will probably take you more places than you may think but the upgrade bug will hit or a big rock will hit and I don't even know what I'm saying I'm pretty tired so yeah
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.

Last edited by Brianrietta; 03-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
The regulars of the SUV/4x4 forum and I can help identify exactly what you need but firstly, what precisely do you intend on doing with the truck? Does it have to be a rock crawler/mud slinger/snow chucker/trail rider... Do you need storage capacity to be able to sustain longer trips/any trips? In order to go camping with more than two people and any amount of gear or just two people and a lot of gear you will need a trailer. I packed my Jeeps very efficiently and still was unable to carry the gear that I'd wanted. Keep that in mind.

Offroad a RUBICON is approximately a match for an FJ Cruiser. Even comparing the two isn't really fair though. There will always be obstacles that suit a wider tracked or longer vehicle and obstacles that suit a small vehicle. There are places that an H1 will go that an FJ won't, and your mighty Wrangler will get stuck in places a $2000.00 Samurai will pass with ease. It's okay to say that FJ's are too expensive but they're every bit the equal of the Jeep (and I say that having happily owned many Jeeps over the years - yes I know I haven't owned a 2013 but the fundamental problems still exist: they're tippy, squirrely in slippery conditions if you have offroad tires thanks to the tiny wheelbase, lack of storage space, tradeoff between doors/roof off fun and not being coated in mud/bugs/etc, questionable secure storage space inside).

I tend to agree. I feel strongly that the FJ will be a more reliable vehicle long term and I can't agree enough that they're much nicer to drive on road in terms of it's driving characteristics. The downside of no sunroof/removable roof are offset from an airflow perspective by the tailgate window which when I had down provided a ton of air into the cabin.

I don't even know what I'm rambling about anymore but I'll conclude with the Wrangler is an awesome vehicle but don't be fooled by the salespeople. Until you get into a Rubicon trim and/or upgrade a ton of stuff you aren't 'that' capable offroads. Remember that the Trail Rated emblem is on the side of the Liberty too. Although it's a beast offroads. To be frank if you want to do some serious offroading what you do is you keep your city driving car/suv/whatever and you build an older vehicle to your whatever your necessity may be. You could spend 25k on a Wrangler, 40k on a Rubicon, 50k on a Trail Teams FJ, or (generously) spend 5-10k on a 4Runner/Land Cruiser/1st gen Xterra/TJ/etc/etc/etc with 8k into mods and be more capable and you won't shed tears every time you scratch it or break something. Because you will break things. Anyways a stock Wrangler will probably take you more places than you may think but the upgrade bug will hit or a big rock will hit and I don't even know what I'm saying I'm pretty tired so yeah
Trust me, I'm not thinking a stock wrangler with those pathetic tires they come with are off road capable. I'm not going to be rock crawling, but i want to run some of the local trails, head out to stave, do some island wheeling i've seen/heard/read about, i NEED deep snow ability, i love the idea of no top and no doors, tire wise i'm going to be running a 33" DuraTrac, and a 2" old man emu lift. Most likely going to upgrade to 35" KM2's and a 4 inch TeraFlex lift, with ARB air lockers front and rear, and a warn 9000, possibly going to a dana 44 front. once i get this payed off, and a daily driver.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinari-kun View Post
Toyotas 4.0L V6 engines are rather loud, reminiscent of Ford's old 4.0L V6 engines, and unfortunately they're not too powerful, like you say. I guess it really depends on what you'll be using the truck for? The FJ is the all around more livable choice, whereas the Wrangler is a more "fun" choice.
Exactly.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Trust me, I'm not thinking a stock wrangler with those pathetic tires they come with are off road capable. I'm not going to be rock crawling, but i want to run some of the local trails, head out to stave, do some island wheeling i've seen/heard/read about, i NEED deep snow ability, i love the idea of no top and no doors, tire wise i'm going to be running a 33" DuraTrac, and a 2" old man emu lift. Most likely going to upgrade to 35" KM2's and a 4 inch TeraFlex lift, with ARB air lockers front and rear, and a warn 9000, possibly going to a dana 44 front. once i get this payed off, and a daily driver.
Sounds like you've got a decent idea of it's perks and limitations. I haven't looked at new pricing since probably 09 so I really don't know the costing but I wouldn't expect until they start to clear out the 13's that you'd be able to get it too much lower. I dunno though. Good luck and see you on the trails!
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: