REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxmonkey View Post
Any painter that can perfectly match pearl white would be a god. Get it as close as you can to the adjacent panels, and time will do the rest. I know never to get pearl white again.

Keep in mind that the paint adheres to the material differently, be it metal or plastic. But aging paint will slowly blend. In some cases, ICBC doesn't allow for blending with adjacent panels based on some measurement, but if youre paying for this, they really ought to blend it, or else there will always be a clear difference between the new and old paint.

I'd love to find a painter that can match it well, as I'm having to constantly deal with mismatched paint too
Posted via RS Mobile
It doesn't matter if icbc doesn't pay to blend, if a shop seriously took his bumper off 6 times, prepped it for paint, mixed the paint and put it back on the car. I would assume the shop is no longer in business for such wasted materials/money. Blending both quarter panels most likely would have solved the problem and could have been done the second time around. Not prepping and mixing paint over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
to get a decent color matching, request the shop to use the color matching camera provided by their paint supplier. as this will generate the closest color match without actual blending.
Not always the case, bad information
Advertisement
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #27
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post

Not always the case, bad information
Nah u just don't know. I forgive u.

Icbc des not pay time to blend the quarters. Plastics do not get blend time according to icbc. This is always the case. No shop would blend the rear quarters for a rear bumper. It doesn't work that way.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
Nah u just don't know. I forgive u.

Icbc des not pay time to blend the quarters. Plastics do not get blend time according to icbc. This is always the case. No shop would blend the rear quarters for a rear bumper. It doesn't work that way.

Of course icbc doesnt pay to blend but you seriously think mixing the paint 6 times is the best solution to this problem? Even after 6 times its still not correct. You also think that this shop didn't use there color scanner? Are you a troll or just stupid?
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #29

color scanners are never 100% accurate. For 100% accuracy, you need the paint code of the Pearl White that was exactly used on your car. That paint code tells the painter how much of colourant is to mix/blend.
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #30
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Just don't buy pearl white next time. I know I won't!
Taxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Went to Penney Autobody on Main and Marine. Did the Fiji Blue Pearl on my Civic perfectly, had both bumpers repainted due to lots of scratches/scrapes from previous owner. Super quick work and if you talk to one of the guys he can usually give you a cash deal. Ended up paying $150 to fully paint each bumper. Which is not bad for the 3+ coats that most pearl or metallic paints require to match properly, plus blending.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Fiji blue pearl is an easy color. But then again I really dont hear much bad things about Penney autobody. As for what vr6gti stated is true..color machine is not always accurate but just gives you a better idea on formula calculations when mixing the paint. Most knowledgable painter know to always do a letdown spray panel. Meaning spraying several test panels with each panel having a different number of pearl coat to achieve the proper colormatch but most painters don't do that either lazy or time constraint cause jobs are piling up. Looking at OP picture the pearl coat isnt the issue but the ground (
Posted via RS Mobile
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #33

Oops..as i was saying...the issue is the ground coat (the white layer under pearl coat) is too white/bright. Most painter dont realize thats the basisof pearl white issues.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #34

Damn phone!!. Anyways thats where the color correction needs to start at. Also most painters that do the letdown panels just toss it into the garbage when done when they should be saving it for future references.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #35
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've done quite a few pearl white vehicles lately.

2012 Acura MDX
2010 F150 Platinum
2011 Ford Edge Limited

PM me for shop info.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #36

Have you guys looked at your original bumpers? They don't even match from the factory.

If the shop was able to get your pearl within 90% of the original color I would be satisfied. So many variable and you'll never get 100%.
It comes down to if the paint line their using was able to match the color.
Not the painters or the shops fault.

ps. Im a painter.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
It doesn't matter if icbc doesn't pay to blend, if a shop seriously took his bumper off 6 times, prepped it for paint, mixed the paint and put it back on the car. I would assume the shop is no longer in business for such wasted materials/money. Blending both quarter panels most likely would have solved the problem and could have been done the second time around. Not prepping and mixing paint over and over.
Agreed. It shouldn't need to be done 6 times. By then the paint would be flaking off.

Painters are willing to accept the 1st redo. After that..if it still doesn't match. The painter will ask for shop to pay him to blend the quarters.
If the boss isn't willing to do that. The paint rep gets called and he's asked to match it and paint it cause it's THEIR product.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
ps. Im a painter.
Should we have a RS Painters Thread?

ps. im a painter

anyways theres some good info in this thread. but alot of people who have no idea what there talkin about.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: