REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Truth Behind Calorie Labels (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682480-truth-behind-calorie-labels.html)

Culverin 04-02-2013 10:04 PM

The Truth Behind Calorie Labels

For your calorie counters.

Those who know me probably know that I have a reputation to eat unhealthy meals.
However, home cooked, home grown veggies while you use spices and less salt is actually rather quite healthy.

Have fun with your "healthy" sandwiches and "vegan" diets.

Presto 04-02-2013 10:13 PM

What you're eating is more important than the calories you consume

xilley 04-02-2013 10:21 PM

all people look at is calories, everyone forgets how important fat and Carbs are to watch out for.

The_Situation 04-02-2013 10:28 PM

What exactly is your point here?

dinosaur 04-02-2013 11:17 PM

Although this "study" (a VERY loose term) raises valid points in regards to this law, I'd like to see the calorie content vs. nutritional content. The dude would have had a leg to stand on (though, small) if he avoided the end comparison to eating doughnuts and big macs.

Example: 200 calorie doughnut vs. 200 calories of apple slices.

Obviously if you eat 1500 calories a day of shit food or 1500 calories of nutrient dense food...your overall body weight will react the same. However, the fundamental structures that make your body work will react completely differently.

Side-note: Something to think about: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-20...-look-like.htm

SkinnyPupp 04-02-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8202333)
Obviously if you eat 1500 calories a day of shit food or 1500 calories of nutrient dense food...your overall body weight will react the same.

No

bballguy 04-02-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8202334)
No

o ok

SkinnyPupp 04-02-2013 11:26 PM

I don't feel like reiterating everything; you're welcome to go read some Gary Taubes instead of posting smartass replies

bballguy 04-02-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8202341)
I don't feel like reiterating everything; you're welcome to go read some Gary Taubes instead of posting smartass replies

o ok

Yodamaster 04-02-2013 11:51 PM

Subway! :alonehappy:

xilley 04-03-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Although this "study" (a VERY loose term) raises valid points in regards to this law, I'd like to see the calorie content vs. nutritional content. The dude would have had a leg to stand on (though, small) if he avoided the end comparison to eating doughnuts and big macs.

Obviously if you eat 1500 calories a day of shit food or 1500 calories of nutrient dense food...your overall body weight will react the same. However, the fundamental structures that make your body work will react completely differently.

Side-note: Something to think about: What Does 200 Calories Look Like?

you clearly have never diet before.

1 big mac with 1500 calories doesnt = 5 chicken breast with 1500 calories

1 big mac probably has 30grams of fat, while 5 chicken breast have under 10 grams of fat. (I didnt google the values but you get the idea)

dinosaur 04-03-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 8202365)
you clearly have never diet before.

1 big mac with 1500 calories doesnt = 5 chicken breast with 1500 calories

1 big mac probably has 30grams of fat, while 5 chicken breast have under 10 grams of fat. (I didnt google the values but you get the idea)

le sigh.

quite clearly "a calorie isn't just a calorie". i was simply saying that in relation to what the dude in the vid was trying to correlate.

Manic! 04-03-2013 12:58 AM

Subway is ripping people off. you paid for 360 calories but only got 350 calories.

StylinRed 04-03-2013 02:33 AM

I was expecting him to test some McDonalds sandwiches to see what their true calorie ratings are...

instead he rags on the "healthy" foods and acts like the Mcdonalds calorie counts are accurate

wonder who paid for his video ;)

AAnthony 04-03-2013 06:39 AM

-----

nns 04-03-2013 06:49 AM

I remember when SkinnyPupp used to pounce on people over this subject.

SkinnyPupp 04-03-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 8202439)
I remember when SkinnyPupp used to pounce on people over this subject.

Only the people who said dumb shit

smoothie. 04-03-2013 07:54 AM

Hmmm :Popcorn:
Posted via RS Mobile

The_Situation 04-03-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8202446)
Only the people who said dumb shit

Mcdonalds is bad for you. Why eat there when you can eat at subway and get a sandwich with vegetables. :troll:

SkinnyPupp 04-03-2013 08:41 AM

:ilied:

Gridlock 04-03-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Side-note: Something to think about: What Does 200 Calories Look Like?

Yes and no. I think this is where you are running into trouble.

A calorie is a unit of measure. Pure and simple. How many units of energy does this food create.

Quote:

These quantities are often used for the total amount of food energy (e.g., in a meal) and for the specific energy, namely amount of energy per unit of mass (e.g. "calories per gram", "calories per serving"). Nutritional requirements or intakes are often expressed in calories per day.
So, as a pure measurement of energy basis, then a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

The difference between the 1500 calories of donuts and apple slices is where the calories come from in terms of fat content of the food. So, beyond JUST the calorie, your body will absorb the fat content differently, thus contributing to weight gain.

Of course, during all this, we're ignoring any other nutritional components like fiber and salt content.

Ultimately, your body has a requirement for a certain amount of calories per day based on the amount of energy you use in said day. Eat more, gain weight. Eat less, lose weight. Use more energy, lose weight. Use less energy, gain weight. All that is a very high level overview of a large amount of science that has a lot of factors that contribute to each other.

So you're 'no' is incorrect.

SkinnyPupp 04-03-2013 08:56 AM

You are correct in saying our body handles calories from different nutrients differently. IE carbs, fat, protein, and various combinations of them

You are wrong in saying that the fat simply gets "absorbed by the body" and the inference that it is the 'preferred' method of how the body handles fat. Fat intake doesn't cause us to store fat, carb intake does (insulin is a storage hormone, carbs spike insulin).

And so on...

It would be a lot easier to lose weight by exercising and eating 2500 calories a day of 80-90% fat and protein than it would doing the same exercise while eating 1900 calories daily of 80-90% carbs. Try it and see :)

Razor Ramon HG 04-03-2013 08:58 AM

^

Yep. Best way to shed body fat is by limiting your carbs.

MarkyMark 04-03-2013 09:12 AM

I find it funny when people buy low fat everything, and then claim they are being healthier because eating fat makes you fat.
Posted via RS Mobile

BrRsn 04-03-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8202528)
You are correct in saying our body handles calories from different nutrients differently. IE carbs, fat, protein, and various combinations of them

You are wrong in saying that the fat simply gets "absorbed by the body" and the inference that it is the 'preferred' method of how the body handles fat. Fat intake doesn't cause us to store fat, carb intake does (insulin is a storage hormone, carbs spike insulin).

And so on...

It would be a lot easier to lose weight by exercising and eating 2500 calories a day of 80-90% fat and protein than it would doing the same exercise while eating 1900 calories daily of 80-90% carbs. Try it and see :)

Not to mention solid foods/fats/proteins all leave the stomach much slower than liquid foods + carbs -- making you feel full longer and controlling the main cause behind the physiological urge to eat.

You can't completely cut out carbs though (as you've pointed out), you need enough to replenish your oxaloacetate (metabolic intermediate) which is important in metabolism/fat breakdown. If you don't have enough carbs breakdown of stored fat will be coupled with muscle/body protein breakdown to make the oxaloacetate needed.