REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
What brands test their street seats?

Ok so I've been hearing horror stories of peoples cheap/knockoff seats breaking and so I'm trying to find some info on what non-racing seats are actually tested by the manufacturer to meet or exceed OEM testing standards cause I don't assume things are good just because of the brand.

To better clarify I'm not asking about FIA certified fixed buckets, I'm asking about the non-FIA reclinable seats. ie the Corbeau Forza Sport is listed as FIA certified, however the Corbeau A4 doesn't list any kind of testing whatsoever.

edit: What I've found thus far:
Sparco USA - Only the "R700A" and "R700P" are TUV Homologated and tested/approved to ECE 17 (Europe) and FMVSS 208 (USA) standards, the rest list no testing
Bride -
Recaro - states all seats must take "20% greater load in static tests than required by law", and "at least 300% greater load in dynamic tests than required by law". They also offer aftermarket seats with side airbags (not applicable for some I know).
Yonaka - emailed about testing
OMP USA - Only the "Design 2" and "Style" are European Directive 96/37/EC compliant, the rest list no testing
Momo - Only makes FIA race seats
Status - no testing
Cobra - "Le Mans", "Misano", "Sidewinder" & "Daytona" are tested to ECE R17/FMVSS 207 and ADR 3, "Roadster 7" meets latest IVA standards, they also offer RFID tagged seats to track ownership, age and accidents.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 04-04-2013 at 10:06 PM.
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I'm sure the brand name companies keep their construction quality pretty decent.
A seat might not be FIA due to other reasons, I'm sure sending in a seat to get crash tested would increase the cost so they might sell a non-fia seat at a lower price for a different consumer. Might also be stuff like flame resistant fabric or a sub belt hole that you wouldn't need on a street seat.
I sat in a sparco fighter (non-fia) and a replica bride and they are dramatically different in sturdiness. The sparco was a lot heavier though
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #3

Sorry, but "I'm sure they're pretty decent" is all I seem to be finding on this stuff. I'm not going to pay extra for a brand just because it's assumed to be better with no actual proof, likewise there might be lesser known brands that people assume are crappy but actually test their product and therefore produce a safer seat.

Looking at those two seats I picked at random as an example, the A4 actually costs more than the FIA certified Forza Sport. Adding in the reclining feature obviously costs more than making a solid bucket, but this seems odd to me.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #4

Ok I'm going to be digging into the seats and contacting manufacturers if needed, so if you guys know of any brands that I haven't got up top please list them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Sorry, but "I'm sure they're pretty decent" is all I seem to be finding on this stuff. I'm not going to pay extra for a brand just because it's assumed to be better with no actual proof, likewise there might be lesser known brands that people assume are crappy but actually test their product and therefore produce a safer seat.

Looking at those two seats I picked at random as an example, the A4 actually costs more than the FIA certified Forza Sport. Adding in the reclining feature obviously costs more than making a solid bucket, but this seems odd to me.
Lol my sparco sprints are dirt cheap and FIA because of the steel tube frame. I guess it's a cheaper manufacturing cost and probably a stronger seat, same for the corbeau. Not having a reclining mechanism also would make the seats cost less, the FIA competition seats are all non-reclining IIRC.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
If you are concerned about street safety look no further than taking reclinable seats out of cars that came stock with them. i.e. Recaros out of DC2s and EVOs and such...

then you can sleep at night knowing that these seats meet or exceed the crash standards for a production vehicle.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
i had the recaro in my celiac before..
and they feel better than any aftermarket seats I've sat in
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
I have Recaro SPG's and are the most comfortable fixed buckets as compliments by every single person who ever sat in my car. You pay a premium for the design, and very little for the actual material itself.

For reclinables, I would be looking at the DC2 Recaro's, or Recaro Sport's, they're good for what they are. and give your interior a stock look depending on what material is purchased.

I've never sat in Sparco's but are also highly rated, they're probably a bit heavier from the tube frame, but it's a street car, you won't notice the difference.

Another brand to consider is Status racing, their line of reclinables are called "Spa". They are highly regarded as a premium brand. I think k3lv had a set of the Status Ring fixed buckets, he can probably chime in on the quality.

If you want something that looks like a fixed and of greater quality, check out the Bride GIAS/Euro/CUGA/Stradia/ETC reclinables, their reclinable bucket's quality are one of the best.

You will be sitting in this seat as much as you are driving, I would concern myself with spending more on a better design, than something cheap. I know for a fact those Corbeau's are dirt cheap, but are also very susceptible to wear & tear, as well as being extremely uncomfortable on your lower back on longer drives.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Yeah Recaros are safe just watch this vid
k2damax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Do your OEM seats have airbags? If so, i wouldn't recommend DD'ing the ones without...
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

^ Mine don't, but so far only Recaro offers an aftermarket seat with airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
If you are concerned about street safety look no further than taking reclinable seats out of cars that came stock with them. i.e. Recaros out of DC2s and EVOs and such...

then you can sleep at night knowing that these seats meet or exceed the crash standards for a production vehicle.
That's great and all, but it limits the number of seats available and you can't buy them new. Plus you're relying on the seller to 1) sell you authentic seats and 2) not sell you seats out of a totaled car. If the seats were in a car involved in a serious accident they're worthless IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
Another brand to consider is Status racing, their line of reclinables are called "Spa". They are highly regarded as a premium brand. I think k3lv had a set of the Status Ring fixed buckets, he can probably chime in on the quality.

If you want something that looks like a fixed and of greater quality, check out the Bride GIAS/Euro/CUGA/Stradia/ETC reclinables, their reclinable bucket's quality are one of the best.

You will be sitting in this seat as much as you are driving, I would concern myself with spending more on a better design, than something cheap. I know for a fact those Corbeau's are dirt cheap, but are also very susceptible to wear & tear, as well as being extremely uncomfortable on your lower back on longer drives.
I'm not looking for cheap and I'm not looking to spend money on a brand just for the name, ie Status makes fairly costly seats but doesn't list any kind of testing or compliance on their site. I emailed them to see what they say, but I don't give a shit about them if they haven't tested anything they make cause the exterior fit and finish isn't the most important part of a seat. As far as a cheap, safe seat the best bang for the buck so far has been from OMP, I think they have one certified seat under $400 and another under $500.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
F**K YOUR HEAD

The Cobra Monaco is another affordable FIA approved seat,
If you can, sit in a few steel tube frame seats before you buy, they aren't as comfortable and in my case if I were half an inch taller my head would be up against the steel tube on my Sparco Sprints. Not an issue when you're wearing a helmet but if you were rear ended on the street and banged the rear of your head against that steel tube it has ZERO give.

Safety is not just in the structural integrity of the seat, if you get a concussion from a minor rear ender on the street that is not safe. You're welcome to sit in my Sparco Sprints if you'd like
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #13

I'm not looking at fixed buckets, finding FIA approved buckets isn't too difficult because everyone labels them as FIA approved. The tricky part has been finding tested recliners because that's what most people want in a street car, and like you said some seats that are very safe on the track can actually be more dangerous on the street. I drove a buddies Soarer with replica race buckets in it that had those side head support bits and that was extra sketchy because you couldn't shoulder check.

Cobra does make some certified reclinable seats though, I'll add them to the list. I'd love to try out the Sprints but I live in Kelowna so that would be a bit of a trek.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 04-03-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
I had the first generation of Status seats. Safety wise I have nothing to say since that's more from the manufacturers. Quality wise, not bad, I'd still rank Status under Bride and Recaro's. I've sat in SPG's and Low Max's and thoroughly enjoyed them both.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i would also worry about modified seat rails, the ones in my first car were gas welded together so shittyly
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
i would also worry about modified seat rails, the ones in my first car were gas welded together so shittyly
I'm gonna be digging into those once I'm done with the seats, at least with the rails and sliders you can visually inspect them. With seats unless you tear them apart you really don't know much about the materials and structure holding it together.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
So do you have any new news from the manufacturers about the safety of the seats you are looking at?

On the other hand, an OEM seat involved in a front end accident is probably ok as nothing has bumped into the seat (driver is thrown forward into the steering wheel)

Also for Recaro they sell a lot of their existing OEM models also as aftermarket models (EVOX seats, DC2 DC5 seats, Toyota Supra / Hilux seats, for example) then you can just buy those brand new.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #18

Yonaka hasn't replied yet, Status emailed me back today, they do not test their reclining seats:

Quote:
Hey Jordan,

Unfortunately we don't really have any testing data on our Reclinable seats. Maybe we will in the future but as of right now we don't have anything.

Best Regards,

Michael
As far as seats in an accident, a minor front end collision would probably be fine but anything moderate to severe would have the force of the drivers body pulling on the seatbelt, which tends to have one end anchored to the seat. That one you would kinda want to check on a car-by-car basis, depending on the setup and the crash.

Good to know about the Recaro's, they say that they heavily test all of their seats as well so as long as you can be sure you're getting authentic seats you're good to go.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: