REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #276
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
So my supervisor is saying I have to work until 430 on Tuesday because I have my yearly review at 4pm... Fuck that our rights are I have a 4 hr window free from work to vote and I will take my rights and don't give a fuck if it's my review or not.
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #277
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
So my supervisor is saying I have to work until 430 on Tuesday because I have my yearly review at 4pm... Fuck that our rights are I have a 4 hr window free from work to vote and I will take my rights and don't give a fuck if it's my review or not.
In contrast my company broacast a big company wide email reminding everyone of their 4-hour window right to vote, and urged everyone to use it to go vote.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #278
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Or you could use the 4 hour window to show up way late to work instead.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #279
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Christy Clark's advance ballot in B.C. election sparks confusion - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
B.C. Liberal Leader Christy Clark caused some confusion when she cast an advance ballot in Burnaby on Wednesday.

Clark initially wrote her own name on the blank ballot, but she doesn't live in the riding she is running in so she made a change.

Clark took back her ballot and — in front of news cameras — wrote in the name of Vancouver–Fairview Liberal candidate Margaret MacDiarmid.

Don Main, communications manager with Elections BC, wouldn’t comment on Clark’s ballot specifically.

B.C. VOTES 2013How do your views fit into B.C.'s political landscape?
“The intent of the voter must be clear. So if a voter writes a name, feels they may have made a mistake and crosses it out and writes another name and the intent of the voter, the ballot would be counted,” he said.

“If the intent of the voter is not clear then it would be a rejected ballot.”

The B.C. Liberals say Clark's intention was clear, and believe the ballot will be counted.

Voters can cast ballots at advance polls for candidates in any riding, and are often handed blank ballots, meaning they have to write in the name of the candidate they are voting for.B.C.'s next provincial election is May 14.
Fml. Liberals making it hard on me to want to vote for them.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #280
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Fml. Liberals making it hard on me to want to vote for them.
...But then I remember I don't want to vote for the NDP
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #281
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
One folly after another.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #282
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

not a big politics person but I do watch videos and news about the election.

im confused now cause i was leaning towards liberals a couple weeks ago but now im not sure. it feels likes both parties are trying to provide the same thing. i guess i need to know the difference in both first
JAYWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #283
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar ex seven View Post
not a big politics person but I do watch videos and news about the election.

im confused now cause i was leaning towards liberals a couple weeks ago but now im not sure. it feels likes both parties are trying to provide the same thing. i guess i need to know the difference in both first
It has probably been posted here already, but it doesn't hurt to do it again.

Go to this site and do the test:

British Columbia Votes 2013 - Vote Compass - CBC News

It takes about 10 mins and gives you an idea of where your political compass lands. Also, once you complete the test they break down the political parties on different topics: environment, economy, health, education, aboriginal issues, taxes, etc....you can compare and contrast each party.

This site is informative and is VERY user friendly! I encourage everyone to visit
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #284
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I forgot to take the vote compass...but it put me about where I expected.

76NDP
67GRN
51LIB
39CON
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #285
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
It has probably been posted here already, but it doesn't hurt to do it again.

Go to this site and do the test:

British Columbia Votes 2013 - Vote Compass - CBC News

It takes about 10 mins and gives you an idea of where your political compass lands. Also, once you complete the test they break down the political parties on different topics: environment, economy, health, education, aboriginal issues, taxes, etc....you can compare and contrast each party.

This site is informative and is VERY user friendly! I encourage everyone to visit
As useful as the political / vote compass is, I would caution that the voter should always take resulting analysis with a grain of salt. The problem is, while the tool will steer you towards your political leanings, it is an entirely different matter whether you should place your trust in the candidate / political party to follow through on their proposed policies.

For example, while I would classify myself with a slight leaning to the right, Crusty Clown's track record has thoroughly convinced me that she is completely lacking in her ability to lead this province. As such, even though my political leanings should have aligned with those of the Liberals, there is no way in hell I am going to vote for Crusty's party at this election.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #286
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
So i had the voting package mailed to me...

I'm having a tough time voting for someone.
I really hate how Clark handled the whole HST shenanigans, but voting for the NDP is just... I can't see anything good that will come out of it that will benefit the province in the long run.

So I said, screw it, at least I made the effort. Let's give the greens a chance.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #287
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
So i had the voting package mailed to me...

I'm having a tough time voting for someone.
I really hate how Clark handled the whole HST shenanigans, but voting for the NDP is just... I can't see anything good that will come out of it that will benefit the province in the long run.

So I said, screw it, at least I made the effort. Let's give the greens a chance.
Haha I was gonna say we should all just say fuck it and vote green so it'll get crusty cunt out, we don't have to worry about the pipelines and give them them a chance to show if they can make a change or not. Between Adrian Dix and crusty cunt what other alternatives are there
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #288
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As useful as the political / vote compass is, I would caution that the voter should always take resulting analysis with a grain of salt. The problem is, while the tool will steer you towards your political leanings, it is an entirely different matter whether you should place your trust in the candidate / political party to follow through on their proposed policies.

For example, while I would classify myself with a slight leaning to the right, Crusty Clown's track record has thoroughly convinced me that she is completely lacking in her ability to lead this province. As such, even though my political leanings should have aligned with those of the Liberals, there is no way in hell I am going to vote for Crusty's party at this election.
This is very true.

The most useful aspect of this site is the information after the questionnaire and the ability to compare and contrast with one click.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #289
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
When I picture Christy Clark in my head I keep thinking Sarah Palin. Both about on par with eachother.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #290
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

What are your thoughts on voting for an independent? There is one in my riding that seems to be getting a lot of attention but not sure if I'd be wasting a vote by voting for him if he doesn't win...
the_law82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #291
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law82 View Post
What are your thoughts on voting for an independent? There is one in my riding that seems to be getting a lot of attention but not sure if I'd be wasting a vote by voting for him if he doesn't win...
I would only if I supported him and felt he had a shot to win. Chuck Cadman did it in the federal election and won a seat.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #292
I don't get it

I wonder how much of the NDP hate comes from memories of Mike Harcourt and Glen Clark, and how much comes from cynicism regarding BC's defacto two party system.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #293
Banned By Establishment

I think, overall, Harcourt was liked....Clark...not so much. Clark really tanked the party.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #294
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Heres a question. A lot of people say "Im going to vote Conservative/Green/Independent, to send a message that Im unhappy with the choices/system/whatever.

Does that send a message? Or is it effectively useless.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #295
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I would think it would get the message across. I mean honestly, everyone knows of green party as a joke party. If they were to really win, think how much of a joke liberal party would become. It's like losing to a handicap guy in the Olympics... ok maybe not but you get the point. I personally know of a shit ton of ppl voting green just cause all other parties are crap.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #296
HELP ME PLS!!!

I just did the CBC Compass thing and I am pretty much dead centre with a bit leaning right. No political parties in BC represents my views. I wanna vote, and not waste it. Any suggestions?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #297
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Heres a question. A lot of people say "Im going to vote Conservative/Green/Independent, to send a message that Im unhappy with the choices/system/whatever.

Does that send a message? Or is it effectively useless.
No, it's not useless; receiving above a minimum percentage of support entitles parties/candidates to receive a vote subsidy, participate in debates, and it affects public perception. If British Columbians had approved PR, we wouldn't be having this discussion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
I just did the CBC Compass thing and I am pretty much dead centre with a bit leaning right. No political parties in BC represents my views. I wanna vote, and not waste it. Any suggestions?
I would suggest voting Green or Conservative. Why?

Supporting a less established party in this election will help to broad BC's political spectrum, and hopefully improve this province's horrible political landscape.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #298
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^ Same here.
-Did CBC compass test
-Revealed that I'm close proximity to BC Conservatives
-Went to vote today
-No BC Conservative candidate in my riding
-Ended up voting for the party that I know will win by a landslide in my riding, and be re-elected too.

Wasted vote?
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #299
Banned By Establishment

Well...here is what I can see happening...

Liberal party will lose and be in a minority position against the NDP. Cons may pick up a handful of seats (MAYBE) and Green may get 1..possibly 2 (most likely on the Island or Coast).

Liberal party has a huge chance of imploding. They either dump CC and focus on rebuilding and come out swinging in the next election or die a slow death and consider merging with the Cons....maybe a little BC Reform style. OR they totally crumble and but the time the next election comes, they are dead and the Cons become the official Anti-NDP party...which, honestly, I'd kind of like to see.

If you do not want to vote NDP and you are not comfortable with the state of the Liberals right now, consider voting for the Conservative. The more people who vote for a party in this election will dictate who will go against the NDP in the next election.

I don't know if that made any sense...maybe?

As an aside, I was watching the news today and they were comparing the economy\provincial debt\spending under the last 4 leaders (Harcourt, Clark, Campbell, and Clark) and under the NDP, the province was ahead. The reason the BC Libs did so well in the last 10 years was due to commodity prices...not their management.

Its pretty obvious that I am an NDPer...I am not HARDCORE, but my vote tends to land with them more often than not. I think the crash of Christy Clark in the last 2-3 years was ridiculous and there is no way in hell I could vote for her. It has been one debacle after another and I can't handle the lies any longer. Also, the fact that the party plans to dump her seconds after the polls close does not instill a lot of faith in me in regards to the party as a whole.

Another thing you could do is see how your area voted in the previous election and go from there.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #300
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Well...here is what I can see happening...

Liberal party will lose and be in a minority position against the NDP. Cons may pick up a handful of seats (MAYBE) and Green may get 1..possibly 2 (most likely on the Island or Coast).

Liberal party has a huge chance of imploding. They either dump CC and focus on rebuilding and come out swinging in the next election or die a slow death and consider merging with the Cons....maybe a little BC Reform style. OR they totally crumble and but the time the next election comes, they are dead and the Cons become the official Anti-NDP party...which, honestly, I'd kind of like to see.
Back in Feb / March-ish, I had mostly the same outlook as you do. But as the election campaign went on, I am continually surprised by how much the Liberals are hanging on or even re-gaining support. At the same time, I am surprised by how much people absolutely dread the NDP and their economic policies, to that point that they are still willing to stick with the Liberals despite their obvious incompetence.

I have no doubts that the NDP will win the election, but I no longer think the Liberals will implode anymore. Undoubtedly, Crusty Clown will be ousted, but how big the post election re-organization will be remains to be seen.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote