REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #101
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

Good old NDP all they every do is tax business and rich people thus driving cost up for the average joe and causing some business to downsize.
already been discussed its the same plan as the Liberal tax increase plans with the addition of a tax on banks
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #102
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
already been discussed its the same plan as the Liberal tax increase plans with the addition of a tax on banks
A better solutions is to increase property tax.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #103
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Is most property tax not municipal?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #104
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Is most property tax not municipal?
The gov can always put some new tax if they feel like it. Mind you Vancouver should have a tax call "30k millionare personal tax".
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #105
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Well, my favorite is how the bench mark is the 800 million the liberals are in deficit(on which I agree with the NDP, that it IS a deficit)

So, we're not going to do any better than 800 planned in the hole.

So we can increase revenue to pay for our party favours and say to hell with a 700 million deficit!

800 million times 4 years+ 3.2 billion in added debt...planned...so the actual could be worse.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #106
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
I haven't been keeping up with the Liberals in BC for the past three years since i've been in Toronto, but i'm moving back in two years.

What is the deal with Christy Clark? Why do so many people hate on her?

I generally vote Liberal because the NDP spend way too much money and we're left in a deficit, which leads to increased taxes etc.
But, it seems like the Liberals have been fcuking up? What is this fcuking up i'm hearing about?

And the lack of special needs school support from the Liberals is messed up. You can not put special needs kids in the general classroom. The learning environment will be completely messed up.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #107
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
I haven't been keeping up with the Liberals in BC for the past three years since i've been in Toronto, but i'm moving back in two years.

What is the deal with Christy Clark? Why do so many people hate on her?

I generally vote Liberal because the NDP spend way too much money and we're left in a deficit, which leads to increased taxes etc.
But, it seems like the Liberals have been fcuking up? What is this fcuking up i'm hearing about?

And the lack of special needs school support from the Liberals is messed up. You can not put special needs kids in the general classroom. The learning environment will be completely messed up.
I'm trying to come up with the best way to put this, that is concise and to the point.

She dun goofed.

Policies:

She hasn't had a "win". That's problem one. She may have inherited the HST problem, but after that debacle, she certainly took ownership of the fall out. She didn't stem the tide of HST fallout, and didn't handle the referendum well at all, and seemed genuinely surprised that it was voted out-leading to that classic "you guys did bad" photo:

PS...found this while searching for that photo:

It's like Sesame Street. Here's Christy Clark teaching us about being "mad"

And here's Christy Clark teaching us "happy"

Anyway. That started the slow decent. She didn't capture the sentiment of the population on HST and she never, in my opinion, regained from that.

She was all about having an election, waiting for the NDP to choose a new leader and then have a legit election to put her in office, and then after the HST, it was immediately about waiting until May. Not exactly a 'lie', but not really truth.

She kept talking about a "families first" agenda, but then did anything but. They were getting pummeled about special needs care, both in AND out of school. Did nothing..shuffled a few people around.

Was more than happy to spend taxpayers money on blatant election style ads, that just didn't end with "brought to you by the BC libs" but were certainly trying to draw a parallel between 12 years of liberals, and our great economy.

Lot of waste, and ethical issues...the whole reaching out to ethnic voters...on government time thing.

Personality:

I don't think people feel she was far enough removed from the Campbell administration to be a successful change after his resignation. I don't think people "like" her.

That led to her hiring that press secretary from Harper that was like a bulldog to the press. Trying to shield her, I think, led to more people thinking there was a reason she needed to be shielded.

She definitely tried to run on the idea of her personality...rebranding them to "Christy Clark's BC Liberals" and it didn't resonate. They recently, quietly changed it back.

Conclusion:

In short order after the election, she'll resign. People will hate the NDP, and the liberals will have a better fight next election(under Diane Watts?)

I personally would actually have an improved feeling about her if she'd come out now and say that she WON'T resign. I have more respect if she's willing to stick it out in opposition waiting and fighting for a chance to be ELECTED premier.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #108
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
It feels like people will be voting for the NDP just because the Liberals have not been producing.

Are the NDP of today the same as they were in the 90's? I'm not against spending money, but surely they won't make the same mistake again will they?

Maybe the NDP this time around will be better? But, from reading this thread, it seems like Adrian Dix has been dodging questions and has not been forth coming about his agenda.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #109
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
It feels like people will be voting for the NDP just because the Liberals have not been producing.

Are the NDP of today the same as they were in the 90's? I'm not against spending money, but surely they won't make the same mistake again will they?

Maybe the NDP this time around will be better? But, from reading this thread, it seems like Adrian Dix has been dodging questions and has not been forth coming about his agenda.
Ain't that the billion dollar plus question.

I say yes, NDP supporters say no.

They ARE planning on not balancing the budget in the foreseeable future. Their plan, is to take the Liberals budget as a baseline and not go into deficit any more than what they are.

I really...REALLY hate planning for debt. I get it, and understand it, but I personally think a balanced budget is an important goal.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #110

Dix says he's going to ban corporate funding of unions BC NDP leader promises ban on 'big money' from unions | News1130

and Christy Crunch had a 30min sitcom today about her life
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #111
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

and Christy Crunch had a 30min sitcom today about her life
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #112
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Conclusion:

In short order after the election, she'll resign. People will hate the NDP, and the liberals will have a better fight next election(under Diane Watts?)

I thought she said she wasn't interested? I guess maybe she meant at this time, I'm pretty sure if she ran she would have a good shot winning because of her own merits regardless what party she ran with.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #113
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Nope, Diane Watts isn't interested in Provincial politics. At least, that's what she keeps claiming. I think she's better off running Surrey right now anyway. Don't get me wrong as I think she's doing generally a great job at it, but I'd rather see good leaders in a municipal role than get steamrolled in provincial politics.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #114
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Ain't that the billion dollar plus question.
They ARE planning on not balancing the budget in the foreseeable future. Their plan, is to take the Liberals budget as a baseline and not go into deficit any more than what they are.
Can't have a balanced budget and fat union paycheques too.

Anyway, writ drops Tuesday. But the BCLibs have already unveiled their platform. B.C. Liberal platform focuses on debt reduction, tax freeze - British Columbia - CBC News

As usual, don't read the CBC comments unless you want to rage.

BBL
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #115

CBC introduced a Vote Compass for BC parties if anyones interested

British Columbia Votes 2013 - Vote Compass - CBC News
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #116
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Ax2-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #117
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Cute. But still an attack ad. And like all attack ads, they cherry pick certain bits and leave out the rest that may go against the message they're trying to convey.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #118
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I thought she said she wasn't interested? I guess maybe she meant at this time, I'm pretty sure if she ran she would have a good shot winning because of her own merits regardless what party she ran with.
They all say they aren't interested until about 5 minutes before announcing a leadership campaign.

The only thing that stops them is when their internal polling comes back and says, "don't waste your time" ala Sarah Palin in 2012.

I'm totally speculating here...maybe she really just has no interest in the provincial arena. Who knows. Myself, I see a day when you will see her name in provincial politics.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #119
I don't get it

NDP's financial platform:

-Freeze ferry fares for 2 years
-$140m job skills training including $1500 grants to students in financial need
-Review liquor laws and prices
-$300m in revenue from taxes on corporations and high earners
-Balanced budget in 2017

I think the NDP could get a balanced budget sooner if they weren't addicted to doling out fat union paycheques, as I have mentioned before.

Last edited by BurnoutBinLaden; 04-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #120
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
I think they could get a balanced budget sooner if they weren't addicted to doling out fat union paycheques, as I have mentioned before.
I would advise that you have your facts checked and re-verified before voicing them.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #121
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I would advise that you have your facts checked and re-verified before voicing them.
Well, they are up to $500 million in spending promises in times of deficit and they haven't even discussed whats going to happen when all the public service contracts come due.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #122

The thing I took issue with is, the unions that I have some level of familiarity with is getting anything but fat union pay cheques. Under the Liberals, most unions got their small carrots in the lead up to the 2010 Winter Olympics. Since then, they have been putting up with freezes or more often cutbacks in staff levels, 0% wage increases for at least 2 years, with subsequent increases hovering around the 1% mark. Meanwhile, MLA's have been getting their healthy pay raises in the name of "talent retention", inflation continues to stay higher than what meager salary increases the province has agreed to (after aggressive job action and such). So for the past few years at least, I really don't think the provincial unions have made any unreasonable demands for "fat pay cheques".
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #123
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The thing I took issue with is, the unions that I have some level of familiarity with is getting anything but fat union pay cheques. Under the Liberals, most unions got their small carrots in the lead up to the 2010 Winter Olympics. Since then, they have been putting up with freezes or more often cutbacks in staff levels, 0% wage increases for at least 2 years, with subsequent increases hovering around the 1% mark. Meanwhile, MLA's have been getting their healthy pay raises in the name of "talent retention", inflation continues to stay higher than what meager salary increases the province has agreed to (after aggressive job action and such). So for the past few years at least, I really don't think the provincial unions have made any unreasonable demands for "fat pay cheques".
Oh I'm fully aware of the Liberals' hatred for organized labour. I was talking about the BC NDP, however-in the 90s, they were in cahoots with big unions, whose bosses did get fat paycheques. Who's to say that 2013 will be any different?

Nor am I saying that there should be a heavy handed approach to unions ala Wisconsin-my mom is in the BCGEU and I am appreciative of what unions do for the middle and lower classes.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
Oh I'm fully aware of the Liberals' hatred for organized labour. I was talking about the BC NDP, however-in the 90s, they were in cahoots with big unions, whose bosses did get fat paycheques. Who's to say that 2013 will be any different?

Nor am I saying that there should be a heavy handed approach to unions ala Wisconsin-my mom is in the BCGEU and I am appreciative of what unions do for the middle and lower classes.
Thank you for the clarification.

I will openly say that I am not comfortable with the NDP's history of spending sprees either. Having said that, I find the provincial union workers have by and large fallen far enough behind under the Liberals, so an NDP correction is more akin to making up for the loss ground from the past several years.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #125
I don't get it

If the NDP tries to privatize liquor stores, for example, the BCGEU will go into convulsions and they will have to back down. That's how much power the unions have over the party. It's sickening. And this is coming from a pro-union person.

Anyway, the BC NDP will have an uphill battle to win hearts and minds...they have three enemies-the opposition parties, big business, and the media. Sustained attacks from all three prongs brought down Bob Rae's government when he was premier of Ontario in the mid 90s. He was also NDP, don't you know?