REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #451
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
Whats wrong with Anton? I didn't really look in to her Municpal election but when she held City council and commissioner of Park Board she got shit done

she's a hard worker for sure
My memory of the incident is a little hazy now since it was so long ago. But during the Occupy Vancouver period, I saw on television how she reacted on site at the Art Gallery. She was rambling on about some non-nonsensical stuff. I don't remember what it was specifically anymore. It might have been fire risk, or it might have been concern for violence. But at the time when the interview was conducted, neither was a legitimate concern anymore (there was a ban on fire issued, and the protesters have been peaceful, with police / security keeping an eye on them).

And then I think it might have been the reporter or someone else pointing out to her that neither were valid issues anymore, and then she just got kind of stunned and walked away without really finishing the interview. It was really quite an eye opener.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #452
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
also, people who voted green also took away votes from the NDP. there are a few ridings (about 4 or so), where if you took just half of the Green party votes and added those totals to the NDP vote, the NDP would have won those ridings.
couldn't those votes (or part of it) from Lib?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #453
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Christy Clark takes the stage to give victory speech. First comment "well, that was easy."

UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! And she wonders why people don't like her.
Easy?!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #454
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Christy Clark takes the stage to give victory speech. First comment "well, that was easy."

UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! And she wonders why people don't like her.
In complete fairness, I took it as sarcasm.

The Liberal campaign, clearly, was not easy, and the win quite remarkable. It was the NDP's election to lose, and man, did they ever lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
also, people who voted green also took away votes from the NDP. there are a few ridings (about 4 or so), where if you took just half of the Green party votes and added those totals to the NDP vote, the NDP would have won those ridings.
No kidding. The left-wing vote is more divided than the right-wing vote in Canada, on Provincial and Federal levels, so that's always the case. It's not a perfect, but it's still a lot better than a two party system.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-14-2013 at 10:29 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #455
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
In complete fairness, I took it as sarcasm.

The Liberal campaign, clearly, was not easy, and the win quite remarkable.
I took it that exact same way as well, it was her sigh of relief
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #456
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:

I LOL'ed. I'm pretty sure she wasn't serious.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #457
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,354 Times in 5,070 Posts
Haha maybe she shouldn't sigh so much, or even be talking... she's losing her riding by 200 votes right now and won't be premier if she does

I like it, I am for the Liberal party... but I am very much anti-Christy Clark... so this is perfect if it goes down this way!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #458
private modder

Thanked 2,643 Times in 737 Posts
potentially 4 more years of shirley bond running the legal system, ICBC and setting the traffic laws and penalties. that's the worst.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #459
Performance Moderator

^
On that topic, are the only women the Liberal Party could find to run in their party not educated past a secondary school level? Shirley Bond and Christy Clark, neither of them have post-secondary degrees (unless the College of New Caledonia counts).............. which I personally find utterly ridiculous in a day and age where you don't even have a good chance at getting a secretary's job without 5 years of experience and a business diploma.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #460
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Haha maybe she shouldn't sigh so much, or even be talking... she's losing her riding by 200 votes right now and won't be premier if she does

I like it, I am for the Liberal party... but I am very much anti-Christy Clark... so this is perfect if it goes down this way!
She gets to take a seat from someone else in the party if she looses her riding.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #461
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Watched the election coverage at 8pm for 5 min: statistics said 81% NDP would win.
Went to the gym.
Came back, turned on coverage 2 hours later: MOUTH AGAPE.

Liberal majority, lowest voting turnout ever. Several more years with this corrupt asshole. Film industry and coastline in danger of loss.

Damn you BC voters who didn't vote. Shame on this province.

“Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all -- the apathy of human beings.”
― Helen Keller
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #462
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
She gets to take a seat from someone else in the party if she looses her riding.
Granted, I stand by what I said -- if she loses her riding, she will not be premier. At least not for very long... it's way too big of an embarrassment to have the leader of the party not win their riding and there's no legit way to say you deserve to be in that position given that.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #463
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
lol

vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #464
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Let me guess, you are too young to remember Glen Clark? Corrupt and Dix+Clark kinda go hand in hand.

Film industry.. well that's a race to the bottom. The bottom line is Cdn$ is strong. Industries like games, films etc are getting local gov to outbid each other.. honestly it is not sustainable.

Coastline.. well not if Yukon and NWT have their say.. they are going up north! http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines..._lsa=19ba-86f7 I guess that's okay to you, as long as it is not in our backyard? Honestly I rather they go that route since the First Nations has 1/3 buy in already, so much less angst when you have the land owners on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
Liberal majority, lowest voting turnout ever. Several more years with this corrupt asshole. Film industry and coastline in danger of loss.

Last edited by godwin; 05-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #465

Margaret MacDiarmid? I guess MD is not high enough for you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^
On that topic, are the only women the Liberal Party could find to run in their party not educated past a secondary school level? Shirley Bond and Christy Clark, neither of them have post-secondary degrees (unless the College of New Caledonia counts).............. which I personally find utterly ridiculous in a day and age where you don't even have a good chance at getting a secretary's job without 5 years of experience and a business diploma.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #466
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Point Grey riding is still being counted.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #467
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I don't know what feels worse right now being a Leaf's fan or a NDP supporter? Or a leafs fan who voted NDP?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #468

and Christy Clark has lost her riding!

Christy Clark loses in Vancouver-Point Grey | News1130
Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #469
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
For the first time ever, I voted NDP.
I still feel dirty for it.

Liberals keep selling off our stuff to the Americans.
However, the Kinder Morgan pipeline scares the crap out of me the most.
Only the NDP and the Greens opposed it.

If you guys have seen the videos of leaking pipes, it would probably be your highest priority too.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #470
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Dammit I really dont want a majority liberals. I was hoping minority.

A majority might inflate their ego and they may do more drastic stuff.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #471
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Dammit I really dont want a majority liberals. I was hoping minority.

A majority might inflate their ego and they may do more drastic stuff.
lol really? to have a minority gov the ndp and lib would have had to tie.
i got what i wanted a convincing lib win. although i lost in my riding.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #472
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Hipsters (Pollsters) don't vote.
Made NDP lose.

[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #473
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Apathy was probably a factor in the NDP's loss. With the media predicting a big win for them, a lot of supporters may have just skipped the polls since it was a sure win. On the flip side, apathetic Liberal supporters may have got off their butts, and stormed the polls in fear of an NDP win.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #474
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Canada.jpg

Harper victory in 2015?

Also, because only the geriatrics are going to the polls this should be a wake-up call for web voting.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #475
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
So, as much as I would have loved to be in here commenting on all this shit last night, I had signed up to work the election, got home at 9 and was so frigging tired, so I'm going to do a sum up post on all this great stuff that was talked about last night.

Liberal Win

ZOMG! So, as soon as the polls closed, I dived into my box and started counting so I could go home before frigging midnight. Didn't check my fb or anything. So I get home, look at the tv and blamo! red wave!

So I think I've been kind of consistent on my thoughts on this election. I'm not crazy about the liberals, and have some legit fears for the next 4 years. I think everyone needs a good resting period to get some good creative juices flowing again.

I really don't like Clark.

BUT...I REALLY was not liking what Adrian Dix was saying. Don't get me wrong, I think he had a wonderful message, and all the things he wanted to throw money at were great things...but at the end of the day, he wasn't going to achieve the revenue, but was more than capable of achieving the costs.

And that is a problem that the NDP didn't realize they had, and never countered.

Campaign

The message that I kept getting from the NDP(and remember, I read a LOT of what they were putting out there) is 'positive campaign' and they kept talking about the liberals 'negative campaign'

I'm sorry, but if THAT is a negative campaign, then you need to put on your big boy pants if you want the big office there friend.

In 2000 republican primaries, the Bush camp was making robocalls informing people that John McCain had an illegitimate black child. THAT is negative campaigning bro. The child was adopted from Haiti ps.

In my world, its not a negative campaign to say, "this is something the other party did...we don't" You don't like the memo that comes up from the late 90's? THEN DON'T WRITE MEMOS LIKE THAT IN THE LATE 90'S!

You want to run a "positive" campaign? That's your choice. You have 12 years of fucking blunders to choose from, and I don't see ONE single "hey! remember that HST fuck up?" ad running on tv? If I was running the NDP campaign, I would be saying the letters H-S-T so much, my mouth would hurt from forming the words.

That's not negative...that's campaigning. I'm not asking you to say Christy Clark is a bad mother or something. Negative is bringing up, "Christy Clark can't even make her marriage work, and you expect her to run a province?"

So the NDP failed miserably on that front. Miserably.

Anton

Oh Susan Anton.

She kind of reminded me of that crazy aunt that doesn't always take her meds when she was running for mayor. Gets a little dopey in the afternoon, y'kno?

I do remember her in the mayoral campaign answering one question well, that grabbed my attention.

The question was, "Mayor Happy Pants wants to eliminate homelessness in 4 years. What's your plan?"

Paraphrasing, "well, he can't, and won't be able to. And beyond that, my plan is to do nothing, because its not my job as mayor. It's clearly a provincial responsibility and I'll apply pressure for the provincial representatives to do what they need to do. Being mayor doesn't mean taking on whatever you want(and paying for it) its roads and infrastructure. "

Of course, people hated her for it, but I appreciated the honesty. It ain't my job, so while Mayor Moonbeam wants to solve glamour issues, I'm going to do my job.

Other than that, she has come across as kind of daft.

summary

What a great election! I'd say the same thing if the NDP had won, just purely on the importance of the night...but fantastic.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote