REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #476
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I think "turnout," would be higher, if they allowed web voting. How many people did not vote out of sheer laziness? It seems a bit archaiec to have manual voting. YVR has automated customs clearance, so is it too much to ask if Elections BC implemented web voting? I imagine there would be security concerns to iron out.

Also, in regards to negative campaigns; evidence backs up that they work. That is why Harper is doing it on the federal level, and why the Liberals did it in BC.
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #477
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,419 Times in 5,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Margaret MacDiarmid? I guess MD is not high enough for you??
Derp. It was a rhetorical question to highlight my disdain for undereducated females (if you want to defend Shirley Bond and Christy Clark's track records for running ministries into the ground then so be it) being put in positions with way too much power when there are so many better qualified females available in this province.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #478
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Apathy was probably a factor in the NDP's loss. With the media predicting a big win for them, a lot of supporters may have just skipped the polls since it was a sure win. On the flip side, apathetic Liberal supporters may have got off their butts, and stormed the polls in fear of an NDP win.
Not only that, but from what I saw last night...senior citizens are deciding the election.

Youth engagement needs to be addressed.

I personally think that for the next election, all the leaders should do an ad together asking for people to vote. I think it would be a great show of bi-partisanship, that would actually engage with people.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #479
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
It's sad that is seems that the younger generation doesn't really see the freedom of being able to vote and take everything we have for granted. I'm 31 and have voted every year and the same thing with my younger sister which is only 25. Voting is a priveladge and everyone should take advantage of having that freedom!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #480
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
apathetic Liberal supporters may have got off their butts, and stormed the polls in fear of an NDP win.
I think this was a big factor, personally I know between 25-30 people that made it a point to vote this year specifically to keep Dix and the NDP out of office, due to their hate for the NDP, the NDP's platform and Dix. Half of these people weren't even Liberal supporters but rather just really disagreed and did not like the NDP platform or ideas.

There is absolutely no excuse not to vote, with all the advance voting days and locations available and even voting by mail.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #481
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
This popped up on my FB feed. I had a little giggle.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #482
In RS I Trust

and stolen to put back on FB lol
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #483
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I'm not sure what can be done to engage the younger generations....politicians are on facebook, twitter, easily accessible website, etc.

Are they not teaching this shit in schools anymore? I remember candidates coming to our senior high and holding a Q&A assembly. Is this not happening anymore?

If I ask people why they don't vote, its the same response, "who cares, they are all liars anyways". Do we blame the politicians? media?

I find it so frustrating.

I am hoping that the upcoming Federal Election inspires the younger generations (seeing as Trudeau appears to have charisma).
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #484
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I'm not sure what can be done to engage the younger generations....politicians are on facebook, twitter, easily accessible website, etc.

Are they not teaching this shit in schools anymore? I remember candidates coming to our senior high and holding a Q&A assembly. Is this not happening anymore?

If I ask people why they don't vote, its the same response, "who cares, they are all liars anyways". Do we blame the politicians? media?

I am hoping that the upcoming Federal Election inspires the younger generations (seeing as Trudeau appears to have charisma).
While I'm sure some of it is apathy, I think most of the problem stems from the fact that they can't be bothered to go the dozen or so blocks to a polling station, especially when they're used to doing everything on their phone or computer.

I reached legal voting age right as the internet was taking off and everyone was making a Geocities website for the hell of it, and cell phones were still purely for making calls. I didn't have to worry about the self gratification of getting everything I wanted within seconds. But with everyone used to that feeling now, I think it'll be harder and harder to get the younger generation (oh god, I feel old now) to go out and vote. It wont be until they reach their mid to late twenties when they realize that the governing party may not be doing such a great job for the lifestyle they choose to live... and then they'll finally decide to go out and vote.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #485
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^
On that topic, are the only women the Liberal Party could find to run in their party not educated past a secondary school level? Shirley Bond and Christy Clark, neither of them have post-secondary degrees (unless the College of New Caledonia counts).............. which I personally find utterly ridiculous in a day and age where you don't even have a good chance at getting a secretary's job without 5 years of experience and a business diploma.
The College of New Caledonia is a recognized, public post-secondary institution, I see no reason not to count it. Granted, it's small, but it's in a small town, so that's an unfair criticism.

In general, I'm not concerned with the education levels of leadership. I've met enough intelligent, successful business people without post-secondary, and enough fools with post-secondary to show it doesn't necessarily establish intelligence or leadership ability. I'm concerned with a candidates experience, be it through community involvement or work.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #486
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Dave Teixeira @davedotca
Really weird @bcfed's webpage sendchristypacking.com is down. Golly, wonder what happened? Also, who gets the luggage? #bcelxn13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #487
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

I'll tell you exactly what they can do...find candidates that have a shred of charisma and ACTUALLY do social media, not this fake social media garbage they have going on.

Campaigning in the traditional sense is an outdated concept that will only gain the attention of older generations. The younger generation...pretty much anyone under 30...could give a fuck about TV ads and whatever. When's the last time you clicked on a pop-up? When's the last time a commercial convinced you of anything besides a certain company's ad budget?

We are not as easily fooled. We are bombarded by bullshit all day that we can filter it from a mile away. When a politician rolls up their sleeves and takes off their tie, they're trying to relate to the working class. When a politician's commercial has them sitting at a table with a mosaic of minorities present, they're trying to appeal to the non-white population. When a commercial features them with their kids, they're positioning themselves as a family values candidate. That's subliminal messaging on a '80s level. That doesn't work anymore...at least not on the informed members of the Internet generation.

I explain this with the simple observation that not a single mainstream news network is trusted anymore...at least not in North America. We're all obviously skeptical about Fox News but CNN, MSNBC, etc aren't far off. We trust Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert...two fake news anchors...more than anyone that works for a legit news network.

Want to win over the next generation? Quit bullshitting. Quit campaigning. Embrace social media for real, not just the way that old media like CBC is embracing social media like it's some kind of add-on rather than the new way of doing things. Sit down in front of a camera and give us the facts. Tell us about the challenges as well rather than just the benefits of voting for you. "Hey, if you elect us, THIS shit will be awesome but on the other hand, we'll have to deal with THIS shit..."

Not a single politician in this race seems like a real human being...just projections of what they think the public wants them to be.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #488
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
^^ Dude, I'd say you are over-estimating the intelligence of a LOT of people and giving them too much credit than they deserve. Despite the generally higher level of awareness among the newer generations, there are still a lot of dumb fxxks and i-dun-give-a-shxt type of people around. They don't bother looking deep into the issue, and they don't bother thinking even just an additional step away. All they know / remember is bs anecdotal half truths that are catchy, or whatever bs their homies say when they hang out with them.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #489
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Two words: Cory Booker.

The man is a genius in terms of engaging people on a daily basis as mayor of Newark. His twitter feed is insane...people just saying hi, people asking about garbage pick up, people asking for help.

And he answers them all.

He's the mayor of Newark and I follow him in Vancouver. I don't even follow mayor moonbeam.

Now, its difficult to say that all politicians need to be like this, because you just can't find the 1000's of politicians that all have that same skill...and it takes away from those that do.

But I agree fully. Watching Mitt stick-up-the-ass Romney go up against Obama...well, shit son, I felt bad for the lil fella. I don't even care for Obama's politics, ideas or techniques...but I'll tell you...I like Obama. He's a cool guy.

And, big word that politicians in Canada need to learn...GENUINE.

And that doesn't just mean for 30 days before an election, and the week afater...it means every single day.

Isn't that what we all truly want? Be genuine. Tell the truth, do good things and be yourself.

My god..I hope Trudeau is listening to all this.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #490
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
^^ Dude, I'd say you are over-estimating the intelligence of a LOT of people and giving them too much credit than they deserve. Despite the generally higher level of awareness among the newer generations, there are still a lot of dumb fxxks and i-dun-give-a-shxt type of people around. They don't bother looking deep into the issue, and they don't bother thinking even just an additional step away. All they know / remember is bs anecdotal half truths that are catchy, or whatever bs their homies say when they hang out with them.
Maybe. I guess that's why so many people annoy me.

Catchy is okay but the catchy has to be cool as well. Obama just said HOPE and all of America bought in because Obama has charisma and when he's talking to you, you don't think it's all bullshit.

Canadian politicians typically aren't very charismatic, really. Justin Trudeau will win the next election on charisma alone. I mean, try to explain the difference between Barrack Obama and Stephen Harper.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #491
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

anyone else get a call from liberals yesterday asking if they need a ride to the poll station?
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #492
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Naheed Nenshi, mayor of Calgary, is a good example of a next generation politician. Check out his Twitter interactions to see why.

I voted, like I always do, but that's because I'm in the minority of university educated, middle-class people under the age of 35. People who contribute in this thread tend to be smarter, and more politically aware than the average young person.

If you want to get the other 50% voting, you need an X-factor - charisma, looks, or whatever.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #493
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Justin Trudeau is undoubtedly very charismatic. At the same time, I'd say he is still far too green on too many issues. Or maybe he just isn't smart enough to play this game properly. Or maybe both.

Take his immediate response to the Boston marathon bombing. While his "look at root causes" comment is undoubtedly correct, it was completely out of place given the time and context the comment was made. There is a time and a place of soul searching and investigation for root causes, but you don't do that kind of thing until after the dust has settled. Harper was right in chiding him for the initial response. When the incident first surfaced, condolences, emotions management, and safety reassurances are the top priorities for a national leader.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #494
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
anyone else get a call from liberals yesterday asking if they need a ride to the poll station?
lol no!

i wish they did though....our voting station was across the street...like, literally, across the street. i would have made them pick me up and drive me there just for shits and giggles
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #495
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
First time I'm eligible to vote, and I voted
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #496
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I voted and finally the guy I been voiting for years finally won!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #497
I am grateful grapefruit

For people who are interested in a breakdown of the voting demographics in BC from previous elections, this document was published in 2010 to explain it a little.

http://www3.elections.bc.ca/docs/sta...-the-polls.pdf

plus more statistics

http://www3.elections.bc.ca/index.ph...s-and-surveys/

Last edited by gars; 05-15-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added more links
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #498
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
First time I'm eligible to vote, and I voted
Good job and keep it up, I told a number of co-workers/friends that they should vote and they actually did so the word of mouth helps for next time!!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #499
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
I think "turnout," would be higher, if they allowed web voting. How many people did not vote out of sheer laziness? It seems a bit archaiec to have manual voting. YVR has automated customs clearance, so is it too much to ask if Elections BC implemented web voting? I imagine there would be security concerns to iron out.
Lazy people are lazy regardless of the medium. How many people do you know are too lazy to type a proper sentence, instead of "lol OMG!" Electronic voting will require some pretty extensive security measures which will require navigating several screens. Many people are simply too lazy to click more than one or two times. Voting is already quite easy and takes all of 5 minutes. We even provide an incentive to vote - you can take up to 4 hours off.

If you want to raise participation rates, you either make voting mandatory with fines for non-voting, or you somehow make it tax deductable.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #500
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
It's sad that is seems that the younger generation doesn't really see the freedom of being able to vote and take everything we have for granted. I'm 31 and have voted every year and the same thing with my younger sister which is only 25. Voting is a priveladge and everyone should take advantage of having that freedom!!

Yeah,i didn't vote...like the rest of BC i felt each and everyone one of those people were a Load Of Shit with their promises & Going after Ethic Groups for Votes...

White Lady in a East Indian clothing at a Parade? ..CHECK.
White Guy in a First Nations Head Dress at Group meeting......CHECK.
Chinese Lady in Richmond going for votes with the Large East Asian population there....CHECK..
Too Bad they Banned Shark Fin soup...maybe she could served it and Bibe some more Vote's in.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 05-15-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: