REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Whiskey/Bourbon etc (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683111-whiskey-bourbon-etc.html)

Ch28 05-31-2013 01:48 AM

I'm actually trying to get into whiskey/bourbon/scotches lately

My collection so far:

Johnny Red
Johnny Black
Johnny Double Black
Glenfiddich 18
Seagram's Seven
Bulleit Bourbon
Woodford Reserve

Bulleit is used for bourbon sours because I find the taste is too harsh. Same thing applies with Seagram as I mix it in 7&7 lol

A cube of ice with the Woodford Reserve is pretty good!

kb 06-10-2013 04:57 PM

Anyone know how I can get a bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 10/12year in Canada?

CCA-Dave 06-10-2013 05:46 PM

Current stock at my house includes:

Gentlemans Jack
Bulleit Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Jack Daniels
Spicebox regular and pumpkin (friend likes it)
Edradour 10yr
Canadian Club
Glenfiddich 12yr
Glenlivet 12yr

...Hmmm, I'm starting to look like I might have problem here. All are enjoyed, not kept for safe-keeping. Personally, neat. But I'll allow whiskey stones, water and ice in my friends glasses.

-Dave

Culture_Vulture 06-10-2013 06:25 PM

http://www.liquorlockerla.com/wp-con...ve-Bourbon.jpg

this and only this

rageguy 06-10-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb (Post 8257647)

+1 I've been looking for Yamazaki and Hibiki for a while

Jer3 06-10-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb (Post 8257647)

legacy liquor store in olympic village.

Legacy Liquor Store

only yamazaki i believe.

sonick 06-17-2013 07:35 PM

kinda OT but this is the best place to put it... I just had the smoothest vodka I've ever had, moreso than grey goose, ketel 1, chopin.

Tried it lukewarm and there was just a slight tinge of burn. Have it ice cold and it goes down like water.

Best of all it was only $23 for 750ml on sale at Liquor Depot.

It is Mark One Vodka.
Posted via RS Mobile

kb 06-28-2013 03:13 PM

I've got a friend coming back from Paris so i sent her a list of single malts to check out for me at the duty free :fullofwin:

Macallan Select Oak (travel retail only)
Glenlivet Master Distiller's Reserve (travel retail only)
Macallan Fine Oak 10 year
Yamazaki 10 year
Old Pulteney 12 year

Any comments or suggestions on the list I gave? Note than i am still quite a beginner (probably won't enjoy the peaty scotches yet).

My friend is gonna get back to me with the prices at the duty free so I won't decide on which one until then.

Obsideon 06-28-2013 04:02 PM

^ I think we're in the same stage right now haha... I can't handle the smokey/peaty flavours yet either... not sure if I ever will lol ...

Friend's recommended Glenmorangie to me last week ...
Original 10 Year
Quinta Ruban 12 Year

:sweetjesus:

ae101 07-04-2013 12:23 AM

Glenmorangie 10yr, my dad use to work with them so we had a few bottles left (good stuff)

mccallan 12yr

Lagavulin, a bunch of clients/friends bought this for me from liquor shop in Malaysia, its super rare to find it i heard

SkinnyPupp 07-04-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb (Post 8270607)
I've got a friend coming back from Paris so i sent her a list of single malts to check out for me at the duty free :fullofwin:

Macallan Select Oak (travel retail only)
Glenlivet Master Distiller's Reserve (travel retail only)
Macallan Fine Oak 10 year
Yamazaki 10 year
Old Pulteney 12 year

Any comments or suggestions on the list I gave? Note than i am still quite a beginner (probably won't enjoy the peaty scotches yet).

My friend is gonna get back to me with the prices at the duty free so I won't decide on which one until then.

IMO Macallan's "fine" oak and "select" oak are just extras they added when they ran out of sherry casks, which is what they are all about. Don't get too excited about those.

kb 07-04-2013 01:55 AM

So i ended up getting the Macallan select oak, $75 for 1L was too hard to pass on.

hamsup 07-04-2013 08:28 AM

^ that is an awesome one !!!! i saw it at the duty free...

kb 07-29-2013 03:06 AM

So i finally got around to drinking the macallan select oak i purchased so i'll give my opinion on it.

The nose has a very sweet scent, most enjoyable compared to the few scotches i have experienced with so far. The taste of the scotch itself is sweet and very smooth in your mouth, but has a slightly stronger burning sensation compared to Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 (might be because i haven't had scotch in a while).

Overall i'm loving this scotch, and i'm glad it's 1L compared to the typical 750ml because it's disappearing quickly :drunk:

kb 11-14-2013 01:31 AM

Since winter is kicking around the corner, I thought I'd revive this thread.

Recently purchased a bottle of Glenmorangie the Original and i'm enjoying it quite a bit. Although I think i prefer the macallan select oak a little more than this one.

Anyone have some recent whiskey/scotch purchases??

hamsup 11-14-2013 09:11 AM

kb... great choices... both the maccallan select oak and glenmorangie are a few of my favorites.

CCA-Dave 11-14-2013 09:46 AM

My original list
Quote:

Gentlemans Jack
Bulleit Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Jack Daniels
Spicebox regular and pumpkin (friend likes it)
Edradour 10yr
Canadian Club
Glenfiddich 12yr
Glenlivet 12yr
Has grown to include:

Jack Daniels Single Barrel - Fantastic bourbon, can't say much more then that. The bottle is disappearing quite quickly, which is a bit of a problem!

Tap 357 Maple Rye whisky - As a flannel-wearing Canadian originally from Ontario, Maple suger runs in my blood. I worked a buddies private woods one fall, and can't get enough of maple syrup. Flavoured products usually disgust me, as the flavour is never geniune, but I was happy to find that isn't the case here. It's a little on the sweet side at the finish, but I've found it makes a great intro for friends. Starts with that whiskey bite, but then the maple hits you and it's like "wait, what?!" A perfect flask-whiskey for those times you want to surprise people with an old-timey nip, or for drinking around a fall campfire.

Forty Creek Barrel Select Recommended by a friend, as he used to live where it was made. Foul, foul stuff. This is probably not the fault of the Whiskey, but more my taste preferences. I prefer medium-sweet or bold-sweet whiskeys, but this one is on the spicey (vs. sweet) side. Used for mixes around here, and I'll be happy to replace the bottle with something I like down the road.

-Dave

Vansterdam 11-14-2013 03:40 PM

anyone hitting up the Hopscotch festival this weekend?

HOPSCOTCH - Canada's Premium Scotch, Whisky and Beer Festival

pharmed 12-04-2014 12:16 AM

Looking for both Hibiki 12 or 17 year, and Yamazaki 12 or 18 year.

Is it possible to find some locally?

Hondaracer 12-04-2014 06:29 AM

Bulleit on the rocks, my go to

Obsideon 12-04-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharmed (Post 8564607)
Looking for both Hibiki 12 or 17 year, and Yamazaki 12 or 18 year.
Is it possible to find some locally?

I have tried for a long time and failed. Only bet would be to get someone from Japan to pick it up at Duty-Free.

Also try Hakushu 18 year and Nikka 21 year if you get a chance, both are :thumbs:

jonwon 12-04-2014 11:05 PM

what makes japanese whiskey different from the regular whiskey? does it have a lighter taste?

Obsideon 12-04-2014 11:11 PM

It's definitely not as smokey as say a Macallan. The ones I've had were very smooth and sophisticated.

nabs 12-04-2014 11:14 PM

Fucken love bourbon.

jonwon 12-04-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8565080)
It's definitely not as smokey as say a Macallan. The ones I've had were very smooth and sophisticated.

That's good to know. All my friends enjoy Macallan, but like you mentioned its too smokey/oakey for my taste. I always preferred glenfiddich over Macallan