REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
[Confidential] Career/Life Advice

The following is a post by an anonymous Revscene member

My parents have a well established business that involves contacts in China. They have expressed interest in having me eventually one day manage or take over. My career path is obviously up to me and they respect that. I知 considering moving to China to gain work experience and improve my mandarin. I am somewhat fluent -> scored 90% on the mandarin provincial challenge in HS. I can write maybe a one page article with very limited vocab. if I read a newspaper I can probably only read 1/3 of it. My conversation skills are a lot better in contrast.
Some background information:
I知 23. CBC. I知 currently very comfortable and happy in Vancouver. I have job security. I知 still searching as to what I want my career to be. I have doubts whether Vancouver will mold me into who I want to be in the future, and whether there is sufficient opportunity. I feel like there are stricter limits on how much $ I can make compared to China where I will learn more and grow at a faster rate.
I知 seeking general advice as I致e pretty much made the decision to go. Would be cool to hear from others that have been in a similar situation or are currently working or living in China. What are conditions like?

She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
If you want to go, go. You are 23...thats young. Why not take the opportunity before you have a wife (or husband) and kids?

The more diverse experience and the better your second language is, the better. Go for it.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I'm in a very similar situation. I've always felt pressure from my parents to try things out in China. Although they don't own a business there, my brother works in China and in general they just feel like there will be more opportunities there. Basically, they feel like Vancouver is not for young people - like you said, everything seems to be pretty standard (how much you earn, stricter limits, etc). Anyway, I feel the exact same way that you do. I'm torn but I do think it's a great opportunity to see what's out there especially for you, since your parents are already established there. On the other hand, I feel like it's too early to establish that we wont find better opportunities/ have a great life in Vancouver either. Have you lived in China for longer periods before? One reason that I wouldn't really wanna go back is because I don't know if I can see myself living there long-term..

All in all, it sounds like it would good for you to go. See if you like it and either way you'll learn a lot for sure. If you don't like it, what's the big deal? You're young- Move back. Your parents sound super awesome in a way that they won't force you to follow a certain career path. If you don't go, you might always wonder, right?
acyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

good points from both acyx and dinosaur

go for it. ill expand a bit on what they said

vancouver, to me of course, seems like a city of paper pushers mostly. does not seem like the best place to persue new things or erect new ideas.
go to China for the experience definitely, I would love to be able to. And since you are there, see the rest of china, and asia: taiwan, thailand, vietnam, korea (after the dust settles)

if theres one thing i dont like, its too much comfort. comfort brings complacency, and i think you havnt reached your full potential if you are comfortable at just age 23 now.

China will become a bigger force as time moves on, and I suggest you take advantage of it now while you have the chance.
I'm a CBC like yourself, so for both me and you, living there would really give good perspective (i think we are too pampered in Vancouver/Canada/USA)

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
You're very young. Go out and venture exciting potential opportunities. What is the worst that can possibly happen? Your parents will still have your back, not that I am saying you should rely on them. They have an established business that they hope you could take over if all else fails that you went to pursue around with. Props to your parents being supportive of you on your interests.

I am a few years older than OP, and working towards my designation and working full-time. Working in my current industry, I see so many opportunities beyond Vancouver and even Canada. Most of the revenue we earn is internationally.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Vancouver is a great place to live, but there is a lot to be gained by exploring other cities, countries, continents. In the global world we live in today, if you were to spend your entire youth in one city, you would be a frog in a small pond.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
There are only two options. Go back to China ASAP once you're done school and get it over with. Save your parents 10 yrs of shame when they still have an opportunity to earn some money back there.

Or, you work your BUTT off for the next 10 yrs climbing up to good careers roles in big companies. The last thing you want is work at best buy for 10 yrs, bubble tea places or sell car toys at metro town and waste your 10 yrs here. WHY? cause those retail jobs doesn't do you SHIT in your career building for China.

It depends what your family thinks. TALK to them, ask them for advice. If you're the older one of the two, then you have until a few yrs until your younger brother is finished school. You have a few yrs to test out the waters.

bottom line: business, finanace, accounting = go back in 10 yrs but you better accomplish some good and great experiences here within your network.
econ, linguistic, general studies or wahtever crap... go back quick and start from bottom up.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I say give it a shot. You are so young with no burden so why not try new things. The important thing is that your paretns already have connections for you in China so it should be pretty easy to get the ball rolling for you without much bump along the way.

You know have connections like these in China is pretty hard to come by and it will make life a lot easier for you. China is a lot different than in Vancouver. Is all about who know you. Even if you are good at something but have no connections good luck making it to the higher up in China.

I would suggest take the year off go back to China and see how things are. If you don't like the working conditions you at least gain some experience.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
IMHO, if you are given the chance to go to China to work, I'd take it.

As long as you have nothing that is holding you here (girlfriend, family) then go for it. It is a scary jump but could benefit you GREATLY. Even if you were to come back to Vancouver, you'd have that international job experience that lots of companies locally would desire.

Spoiler!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Vancouver will always be here for you if you don't like China, so got for it!
Posted via RS Mobile
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
I was in the same situation as you when I was younger.

A billionaire from taiwan told me:

"the mountains of vancouver aren't going anywhere any time soon, they'll still be here when you get back, and long after you're dead."

I went to asia. i am now a billionaire (jk).

you'll come back to vancouver after X amount of time and realise nothing changes. Time is static here. whether X be 7 months or 7 years. it's the same shit.

china conditions are shitty. shit makes you tough. shit makes you smart. from shit you will grow into a man.

just go, you'll learn more there than you have here in vancouver for the past 23 years.

you can come back here and eat the timid weak kneed people for breakfast.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
If you have interest in the business and in travel, then go for it.

On the other hand, and I'm gonna go a little against the stream here and say that if you don't have any interest, then don't. There's no point if you know that you're never going to be a business person, and you have zero interest in anything to do with business. But by the sounds of it, you're intrigued, which means you're at least remotely interested.

It's a trade-off, like anything. You'll be leaving your secure job here and venturing off into the unknown. Worst that can happen is the whole trip is a bust, and you come back to... well, where you are right now. You haven't lost anything. (Except salary, raises, etc. But that's a mere papercut in the grand scheme of life.)

I was in China last year for a business trip. I was 22, alone, and did not know a word of Mandarin. If I got through that alive, you'll be fine. (Though there were moments certain things overwhelmed me in the small industrial towns and I almost went into a full out anxiety attack. It was pretty dumb of me to go alone, but hey, I'm still breathing. And it was one hell of a learning experience.)

Here's some stuff I wish I knew before I went.

People wise, it depends where you are.

In the smaller towns, you'll need to know your Mandarin. You also need to be a bit more careful of street crime, fake taxis, fake cries for help.. It's pretty no holds barred in the suburban places.

The bigger cities like Shanghai or Beijing is pretty much just like Richmond lol, so you can relax a bit. Ironically, there are a lot of white people to ask for directions from. (It's bizarre overhearing white families speak in perfect Mandarin.)

Environment wise... Smoke. Fucking. Everywhere.
People smoke in restaurants, hotels, washrooms, you name it.

Best part is, of course, the food.
Fried rice/noodle dishes for $1 cad.
Bubble tea for 50 cents cad.
3-course steak dinners for $5 cad.
The western chains like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, etc, are all the same price as they are here, so don't bother.

Most importantly, keep to yourself. Everywhere you go, especially around train stations, airports, taxi stations, there will be people offering you rides, hotel rooms, hookers, whatever. Just say "no" and ignore them. If you give the slightest hint of attention or interest, they will flock towards you like zombies and NOT leave you alone. Seriously. One night I had literally 7 different people follow me around for like twenty minutes when I was waiting for the train. Freaked me the fuck out. At one point I was actually thinking "wtf did I get myself into". Bystanders will not help you.

Also, note, there are a LOT of people. I underestimated this, for some reason. Like, picture the Nightmarket crowd, but EVERYWHERE. This was part of what overwhelmed me.

Since you're pretty solid with your Mandarin, you'll be completely fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide, sir.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 04-24-2013 at 11:22 PM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #13
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
There is one question you should ask.

When you move there, what type of remuneration will you be receiving, either through managing your family business, or taking advantage of your family's connections?

My point is, while you are in China, earning money, and gaining experience, there is an opportunity cost.

ONce you arrive there, what type of salary, benefits, ownership stake(s), will you be getting?

Or, will you be paid a low salary while managing your family's business?

I do understand that one day, you will be taking over (probably) your family's business.

But, when is that?

And until that day, what type of earnings will you be earning from managing your family business?

I mean, logically, they won't just give you a majority stake of the company right-away, so that you can pay dividends to yourself, or to give yourself a large salary. You'll probably have to earn your chops, and then they would agree to increase your salary, and even then, you will probably be earning less than a comparable manager would make (if he wasn't working for the family).

-------------------

Or, on another scenario, say you are not flying to China to manage the business, then how are you going to use the connections to start a business/earn money/gain experience?

Even with connections, you STILL need capital to invest in companies or to start a venture.

Would your family help you in providing capital if they have connections?

My point is that you should first figure out the monetary side first.

After all, it could be that you will be in China for many years, without earning a substantial payday until.... who knows when?

It is a risk, and you should get all the information you can first.

You have to figure out if by going to China, there will be a long lull in earnings potential before you hit the "big bucks".

And, you have to understand that by working for your family, UNLESS they own a multi-national or large company, your resume would not look that great if you decide to move back to Vancouver.

But, like most posters said, you are young, and can take risks.

Just keep in mind that many large companies in North America hire entry-level positions from a young age, and some right from University or technical school. There will come a point (age wise) where if you are over a certain age, without qualifying experience, these large companies won't hire you.

----------

Cost wise: Yes, it is a lower cost of living in China for 95% of most people. But, for a comparable way of life in Vancouver, it will cost much more in China.

Salary wise: You'll get paid a lot less.

So, your cost (comparing same standard of living as in Vancouver) in China is much higher, yet your salary is much lower (probably 50% or more lower).

------------

In any case, good luck!

Risk and reward and opportunity cost and resume building.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Similar situation. I decided to move to the Ph and took over fam. company. In spite of being perfectly happy and contented in Vancouver, I felt complacent and static. In the social sense, all my friends had long term gf's and it was rare to see them outside the rink. Dating in Vancouver is the bees knees though, can't top that.

My experience 8 months in.
I had my doubts and hesitation come out here, especially Philippines. It's 3rd world after all, but I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone is very entrepreneurial. I met some friends from RSA and Shanghai and we're planning to do business soon. The business culture is much more conducive for starting up something. The nightlife is intensely more fun Monday - Sunday non-stop. Plus flying anywhere in Asia is super cheap. There are plenty of north americans and europeans here too. On the downside, it's dirtier, girls are much uglier, and the food isn't anywhere near Vancouver.

I can only imagine China being waaaay more fun than PH so, you should definitely go. 110%.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
...On the downside, it's dirtier, girls are much uglier, and the food isn't anywhere near Vancouver...
dealbreaker
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #16
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
dealbreaker
Lol. I would've said the same thing when I was in my early 20's. But, when you get older...money becomes an alluring whore.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote