REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   box 2 V.I. question - go to a Honda Dealership? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683303-box-2-v-i-question-go-honda-dealership.html)

jpark 04-24-2013 02:52 AM

box 2 V.I. question - go to a Honda Dealership?

so.. i just got a box 2 VI for the first time in my life for having a car "too low"
i didn't know what to argue nor had any experience with vi's before, so i just complied with the officer.

however, i did just find out that VI for ride height is usually issued if any of the parts are sitting lower than the bottom of the wheel.. well..none of my parts are lower than my wheel and i still got a vi for the ride height? what can i do about this? dispute it?

with that being said, he issued me a v.i with a strict instruction that says "go to a Honda dealership"

Question is, do i strictly HAVE to go to a Honda dealership for this as instructed? or can i just disregard and go to a v.i. inspection shop or even a different dealership that does v.i.?

mb_ 04-24-2013 05:55 AM

VI's are non-disputable iirc

Not sure if you HAVE to go to Honda though
Posted via RS Mobile

91civicZC 04-24-2013 06:39 AM

I have seen this with other people (Only Honda Owners) being told they “HAVE” to go to a Honda dealership on the VI they receive as well.

Interested to see an answer for this as well.

Side note, where were you when you got the VI?

lowside67 04-24-2013 06:43 AM

All licensed inspectors are licensed in the same way. They are trying to bully you into going to Honda as they know Honda will be much less likely to cut you slack on little things. Take it to any licensed inspection shop, it will satisfy the requirement and you can continue on.

Mark

swfk 04-24-2013 07:04 AM

Doesn't your rear diffuser hang lower than the lowest part of your wheel? The law was made because in the incident of a tire blow out your wheel can still give you some sorta control.

I had a VI as well couple weeks ago, supposedly I would pass with larger wheel so the lowest point would be the bottom of my wheel instead of my lip or exhaust or something

melloman 04-24-2013 07:28 AM

Height restrictions:

Bottom of wheel MUST be lowest part of the vehicle. (MVA 7.091)
Ground to headlight MUST be 56cm (22") or higher. (MVA 4.05.2)

Some cops are dicks and try to bully you by saying you need a "minimum of XX fingergap" yet there is NO section in the MVA that states this.
Yet they can still give a VI just for not liking you.

Sushi604 04-24-2013 07:41 AM

subbin' for sum lovin'

91civicZC 04-24-2013 07:56 AM

Just looking at the act, found this:

Inspection of motor vehicles
7.08 The owner or the person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer operated, or about to be operated, on any highway shall, upon the request of any peace officer, forthwith take the motor vehicle or trailer to the place designated by the peace officer and submit the motor vehicle or trailer there for inspection and testing.

How this makes any sense, I don’t understand, but I would interpret that as the officer does have the right to tell you where to take it to be inspected. That seems a little ridiculous to me……

Jgresch 04-24-2013 08:44 AM

He doesnt have his diffuser on.

jpark 04-24-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91civicZC (Post 8220861)
I have seen this with other people (Only Honda Owners) being told they “HAVE” to go to a Honda dealership on the VI they receive as well.

Interested to see an answer for this as well.

Side note, where were you when you got the VI?

It was on United Boulevard in Coquitlam

Quote:

Originally Posted by swfk (Post 8220871)
Doesn't your rear diffuser hang lower than the lowest part of your wheel? The law was made because in the incident of a tire blow out your wheel can still give you some sorta control.

I had a VI as well couple weeks ago, supposedly I would pass with larger wheel so the lowest point would be the bottom of my wheel instead of my lip or exhaust or something

sold the diffuser 2 weeks ago

swfk 04-24-2013 03:53 PM

It really depends on the officer you get I guess, when I got my VI the officer stated that he "thinks" my car won't pass so he's gonna send me to inspection. Not gonna tow it but just have a notice in order.

As long as they consider it to be somewhat unsafe or have doubts they will send your vehicle to inspection

inv4zn 04-24-2013 04:51 PM

In before G-spec comments on racial profiling :P

Out of curiosity, if they send you in for a VI for one reason (being too low in this case), do they check only that, or do they make sure your car meets every single MVA rule?

jpark 04-24-2013 06:00 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to meet most of the MVA rule, depending on how strict the shop is i guess.

Graeme S 04-24-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpark (Post 8221295)
I'm pretty sure you have to meet most of the MVA rule, depending on how strict the shop is i guess.

If they believe you're breaking the MVA for one thing, but they find another, you fail.

It's not one thing, it's not most things, it's all.

Eff-1 04-24-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91civicZC (Post 8220897)
Just looking at the act, found this:

7.08 The owner or the person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer operated, or about to be operated, on any highway shall, upon the request of any peace officer, forthwith take the motor vehicle or trailer to the place designated by the peace officer and submit the motor vehicle or trailer there for inspection and testing.

How this makes any sense, I don’t understand, but I would interpret that as the officer does have the right to tell you where to take it to be inspected. That seems a little ridiculous to me……

This has been debated before and I believe 7.08 was written originally with the intention of giving officer the ability to direct you to move your vehicle to a safer place away from the highway so the officer can take a closer look. The intention was never to give officer's the ability to specific a repair shop to do the inspection.

Reading the section closely, the bolded words I think help support this original intention.

In other words, the officer can order you to immediately move the car to a place he/she says, where he/she can inspect the vehicle right there.

TypeRNammer 04-24-2013 09:21 PM

Yup got a couple of those before, it's a bully tactic.

I still brought it to other shops and got my VI done.

ninjatune 04-24-2013 10:07 PM

If it's written on the N&O to take it to a Honda Dealership, most other licensed inspection facilities won't risk their licence to do the inspection and send the paperwork in when it clearly violates the N&O.

G-spec 04-24-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8221259)
In before G-spec comments on racial profiling :P

I'm not sayin shit in the police forum anymore.... all the venting I have done in here apparently offended an anonymous Rev Scener enough to the point where he actually went and crept on my mom's facebook to find a picture of me, and put me up on the Dirty.com...... gotta give it to the guy though, the comment was some hilarious shit about how I was stealing RevSCene's wheels and flipping them on Craigs List, lol

and it always depends on the cop, I just got caught in a speed trap the other day and shot the shit with the two cops about the car, both told me they absolutely had no issues with my car visually but they said they could see how some officers would... just two stand up guys not bullshitting anyone.... we need more cops like that

zulutango 04-25-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8221446)
This has been debated before and I believe 7.08 was written originally with the intention of giving officer the ability to direct you to move your vehicle to a safer place away from the highway so the officer can take a closer look. The intention was never to give officer's the ability to specific a repair shop to do the inspection.

Reading the section closely, the bolded words I think help support this original intention.

In other words, the officer can order you to immediately move the car to a place he/she says, where he/she can inspect the vehicle right there.

This was discussed here before. My opinion, and that of several experienced career Traffic Members is that you shoud do what the inspection order says and that we have the authority to designate a specific location. This was done to prevent cars getting passed by inspectors who did not do proper inspections. Others here disagree about that authority and that is their opinion.

I don't see why you just don't do what the order says? If your car will pass as you say it will then why not take it to a Honda dealer? It sounds like you know your car will not pass if it is inspected by someone who knows Hondas...or at least that is the impression you are giving me. If it will pass anywhere then it will certainly pass at the Honda dealers.

Soundy 04-25-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8221654)
I don't see why you just don't do what the order says?

Because they're called "stealerships" for a reason?

Seriously, I have yet to have work done at ANY dealership that wasn't a complete botch job in one way or another. I wouldn't trust the average dealership mechanic to inspect a P&J sandwich.

On the other hand, that could be beneficial for a VI... "Hmm, limo tint on the windshield and HIDs in an '89 CRX? Yeah, seems legit..."

Edit: come to think of it... has that section of the regs been updated recently? I'd swear it's different than when this has been debated before. Look up some previous threads on the subject and compare the quoted section - it was VERY ambiguous before... now, not so much.

91civicZC 04-25-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

I don't see why you just don't do what the order says? If your car will pass as you say it will then why not take it to a Honda dealer? It sounds like you know your car will not pass if it is inspected by someone who knows Hondas...or at least that is the impression you are giving me. If it will pass anywhere then it will certainly pass at the Honda dealers.

The issue is how well does the Honda dealership know the MVA and what actually is written up as illegal? Unfortunately I seem to know more about some Hondas than some of the dealerships I have been to.

I have heard of people being failed for simply having after market parts on a car. I have heard of people passing with parts that I am sure are not road legal.

I think people are starting to find it frustrating that this whole process is so badly managed. From the officers who don’t understand what they are looking at and so send people for a VI (which really seems like an automatic fine, guilty or not you are paying for the inspection because the officer that hands it out is uneducated on what they are looking at) to the seemingly wide interpretation of the laws, back to different things passing or failing depending on where you go to have it looked at.

So people want to go to a shop they know they can trust, not necessarily to get them to pass, but one that wont BS them simply because they don’t understand the regulations, and will give them suggestions other than “it’s not stock, it failed”.

melloman 04-25-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91civicZC (Post 8221688)
I think people are starting to find it frustrating that this whole process is so badly managed. From the officers who don’t understand what they are looking at and so send people for a VI (which really seems like an automatic fine, guilty or not you are paying for the inspection because the officer that hands it out is uneducated on what they are looking at) to the seemingly wide interpretation of the laws, back to different things passing or failing depending on where you go to have it looked at.

So people want to go to a shop they know they can trust, not necessarily to get them to pass, but one that wont BS them simply because they don’t understand the regulations, and will give them suggestions other than “it’s not stock, it failed”.

Yet when police go to school, just like with ALOT of professions, you don't learn alot. They don't go to school to learn what parts would be illegal, and what is legal. By experience, they will know what is stock and what looks like a modification. Lots of people could assume that "just because it's different" it could mean that it is illegal some way or another.

It's a terrible system that I'd love to have all cleared up, because there are lots of reputable companies that make parts and jump through all the hoops the "DMV" sets.

Spoiler!

jpark 04-25-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91civicZC (Post 8221688)
The issue is how well does the Honda dealership know the MVA and what actually is written up as illegal? Unfortunately I seem to know more about some Hondas than some of the dealerships I have been to.

I have heard of people being failed for simply having after market parts on a car. I have heard of people passing with parts that I am sure are not road legal.

nailed it

Eff-1 04-25-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

This was discussed here before. My opinion, and that of several experienced career Traffic Members is that you shoud do what the inspection order says and that we have the authority to designate a specific location. This was done to prevent cars getting passed by inspectors who did not do proper inspections. Others here disagree about that authority and that is their opinion.

As long as the shop is a certified gov't inspection facility, then that should be enough for the public to make their own choice of shop. If officers are seeing certified shops with inspectors who are not doing proper inspections, why aren't you going after the shops themselves for violating the rules? Instead of blaming the public for this and placing a burden on them.

sebberry 04-25-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

I think the key in this section is the term "forthwith". A VI order doesn't require that the vehicle be immediately moved to a specified location for inspection.

Notice how this section leaves out references to "inspection facility".