REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
no
 
jpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 5,162
Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,099 Posts
box 2 V.I. question - go to a Honda Dealership?

so.. i just got a box 2 VI for the first time in my life for having a car "too low"
i didn't know what to argue nor had any experience with vi's before, so i just complied with the officer.

however, i did just find out that VI for ride height is usually issued if any of the parts are sitting lower than the bottom of the wheel.. well..none of my parts are lower than my wheel and i still got a vi for the ride height? what can i do about this? dispute it?

with that being said, he issued me a v.i with a strict instruction that says "go to a Honda dealership"

Question is, do i strictly HAVE to go to a Honda dealership for this as instructed? or can i just disregard and go to a v.i. inspection shop or even a different dealership that does v.i.?
Advertisement
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB
 
mb_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 6,861
Thanked 5,993 Times in 1,590 Posts
VI's are non-disputable iirc

Not sure if you HAVE to go to Honda though
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 654
Thanked 280 Times in 95 Posts
I have seen this with other people (Only Honda Owners) being told they “HAVE” to go to a Honda dealership on the VI they receive as well.

Interested to see an answer for this as well.

Side note, where were you when you got the VI?
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Old School RS
 
lowside67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Port Moody
Posts: 4,124
Thanked 3,103 Times in 942 Posts
All licensed inspectors are licensed in the same way. They are trying to bully you into going to Honda as they know Honda will be much less likely to cut you slack on little things. Take it to any licensed inspection shop, it will satisfy the requirement and you can continue on.

Mark
__________________
2011 BMW 128I
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
swfk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,738
Thanked 3,709 Times in 675 Posts
Doesn't your rear diffuser hang lower than the lowest part of your wheel? The law was made because in the incident of a tire blow out your wheel can still give you some sorta control.

I had a VI as well couple weeks ago, supposedly I would pass with larger wheel so the lowest point would be the bottom of my wheel instead of my lip or exhaust or something
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS
 
melloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #604
Posts: 2,253
Thanked 2,439 Times in 806 Posts
Height restrictions:

Bottom of wheel MUST be lowest part of the vehicle. (MVA 7.091)
Ground to headlight MUST be 56cm (22") or higher. (MVA 4.05.2)


Some cops are dicks and try to bully you by saying you need a "minimum of XX fingergap" yet there is NO section in the MVA that states this.
Yet they can still give a VI just for not liking you.
__________________
Quote:
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
I don't get it
 
Sushi604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 415
Thanked 54 Times in 28 Posts
subbin' for sum lovin'
__________________
'Someone once said; To air is human, to forgive is divine."

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 654
Thanked 280 Times in 95 Posts
Just looking at the act, found this:

Inspection of motor vehicles
7.08 The owner or the person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer operated, or about to be operated, on any highway shall, upon the request of any peace officer, forthwith take the motor vehicle or trailer to the place designated by the peace officer and submit the motor vehicle or trailer there for inspection and testing.


How this makes any sense, I don’t understand, but I would interpret that as the officer does have the right to tell you where to take it to be inspected. That seems a little ridiculous to me……
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Jgresch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 4,430
Thanked 3,279 Times in 823 Posts
He doesnt have his diffuser on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
Every time I'm there I usually see Jgresch's name under "Best Lap Times"
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
no
 
jpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 5,162
Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
I have seen this with other people (Only Honda Owners) being told they “HAVE” to go to a Honda dealership on the VI they receive as well.

Interested to see an answer for this as well.

Side note, where were you when you got the VI?
It was on United Boulevard in Coquitlam


Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
Doesn't your rear diffuser hang lower than the lowest part of your wheel? The law was made because in the incident of a tire blow out your wheel can still give you some sorta control.

I had a VI as well couple weeks ago, supposedly I would pass with larger wheel so the lowest point would be the bottom of my wheel instead of my lip or exhaust or something
sold the diffuser 2 weeks ago
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
swfk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,738
Thanked 3,709 Times in 675 Posts
It really depends on the officer you get I guess, when I got my VI the officer stated that he "thinks" my car won't pass so he's gonna send me to inspection. Not gonna tow it but just have a notice in order.

As long as they consider it to be somewhat unsafe or have doubts they will send your vehicle to inspection
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,834
Thanked 4,665 Times in 1,010 Posts
In before G-spec comments on racial profiling :P

Out of curiosity, if they send you in for a VI for one reason (being too low in this case), do they check only that, or do they make sure your car meets every single MVA rule?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
no
 
jpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 5,162
Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,099 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to meet most of the MVA rule, depending on how strict the shop is i guess.
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
The Lone Wanderator
 
Graeme S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 12,089
Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
I'm pretty sure you have to meet most of the MVA rule, depending on how strict the shop is i guess.
If they believe you're breaking the MVA for one thing, but they find another, you fail.

It's not one thing, it's not most things, it's all.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
private modder
 
Eff-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Shore
Posts: 6,053
Thanked 1,639 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Just looking at the act, found this:

Inspection of motor vehicles
7.08 The owner or the person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer operated, or about to be operated, on any highway shall, upon the request of any peace officer, forthwith take the motor vehicle or trailer to the place designated by the peace officer and submit the motor vehicle or trailer there for inspection and testing.


How this makes any sense, I don’t understand, but I would interpret that as the officer does have the right to tell you where to take it to be inspected. That seems a little ridiculous to me……
This has been debated before and I believe 7.08 was written originally with the intention of giving officer the ability to direct you to move your vehicle to a safer place away from the highway so the officer can take a closer look. The intention was never to give officer's the ability to specific a repair shop to do the inspection.

Reading the section closely, the bolded words I think help support this original intention.

Inspection of motor vehicles
7.08 The owner or the person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer operated, or about to be operated, on any highway shall, upon the request of any peace officer, forthwith take the motor vehicle or trailer to the place designated by the peace officer and submit the motor vehicle or trailer there for inspection and testing.


In other words, the officer can order you to immediately move the car to a place he/she says, where he/she can inspect the vehicle right there.

Last edited by Eff-1; 04-24-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
TypeRNammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,306
Thanked 2,632 Times in 754 Posts
Yup got a couple of those before, it's a bully tactic.

I still brought it to other shops and got my VI done.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Or you meet some girl at the club, cum inside of her, find out shes only in grade 12, so you buy a Prada bag for her to make things right, she finds out the bag is a fake and decides to have the kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
ninjatune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LMD
Posts: 3,145
Thanked 228 Times in 71 Posts
If it's written on the N&O to take it to a Honda Dealership, most other licensed inspection facilities won't risk their licence to do the inspection and send the paperwork in when it clearly violates the N&O.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
G-spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,033
Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
In before G-spec comments on racial profiling :P
I'm not sayin shit in the police forum anymore.... all the venting I have done in here apparently offended an anonymous Rev Scener enough to the point where he actually went and crept on my mom's facebook to find a picture of me, and put me up on the Dirty.com...... gotta give it to the guy though, the comment was some hilarious shit about how I was stealing RevSCene's wheels and flipping them on Craigs List, lol


and it always depends on the cop, I just got caught in a speed trap the other day and shot the shit with the two cops about the car, both told me they absolutely had no issues with my car visually but they said they could see how some officers would... just two stand up guys not bullshitting anyone.... we need more cops like that
__________________
(oO:::\___/:::Oo) (DPE-wheels) // Satin Cocaine White
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #19
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
This has been debated before and I believe 7.08 was written originally with the intention of giving officer the ability to direct you to move your vehicle to a safer place away from the highway so the officer can take a closer look. The intention was never to give officer's the ability to specific a repair shop to do the inspection.

Reading the section closely, the bolded words I think help support this original intention.

Inspection of motor vehicles
7.08 The owner or the person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer operated, or about to be operated, on any highway shall, upon the request of any peace officer, forthwith take the motor vehicle or trailer to the place designated by the peace officer and submit the motor vehicle or trailer there for inspection and testing.


In other words, the officer can order you to immediately move the car to a place he/she says, where he/she can inspect the vehicle right there.

This was discussed here before. My opinion, and that of several experienced career Traffic Members is that you shoud do what the inspection order says and that we have the authority to designate a specific location. This was done to prevent cars getting passed by inspectors who did not do proper inspections. Others here disagree about that authority and that is their opinion.

I don't see why you just don't do what the order says? If your car will pass as you say it will then why not take it to a Honda dealer? It sounds like you know your car will not pass if it is inspected by someone who knows Hondas...or at least that is the impression you are giving me. If it will pass anywhere then it will certainly pass at the Honda dealers.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I don't see why you just don't do what the order says?
Because they're called "stealerships" for a reason?

Seriously, I have yet to have work done at ANY dealership that wasn't a complete botch job in one way or another. I wouldn't trust the average dealership mechanic to inspect a P&J sandwich.

On the other hand, that could be beneficial for a VI... "Hmm, limo tint on the windshield and HIDs in an '89 CRX? Yeah, seems legit..."

Edit: come to think of it... has that section of the regs been updated recently? I'd swear it's different than when this has been debated before. Look up some previous threads on the subject and compare the quoted section - it was VERY ambiguous before... now, not so much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 654
Thanked 280 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I don't see why you just don't do what the order says? If your car will pass as you say it will then why not take it to a Honda dealer? It sounds like you know your car will not pass if it is inspected by someone who knows Hondas...or at least that is the impression you are giving me. If it will pass anywhere then it will certainly pass at the Honda dealers.
The issue is how well does the Honda dealership know the MVA and what actually is written up as illegal? Unfortunately I seem to know more about some Hondas than some of the dealerships I have been to.

I have heard of people being failed for simply having after market parts on a car. I have heard of people passing with parts that I am sure are not road legal.

I think people are starting to find it frustrating that this whole process is so badly managed. From the officers who don’t understand what they are looking at and so send people for a VI (which really seems like an automatic fine, guilty or not you are paying for the inspection because the officer that hands it out is uneducated on what they are looking at) to the seemingly wide interpretation of the laws, back to different things passing or failing depending on where you go to have it looked at.

So people want to go to a shop they know they can trust, not necessarily to get them to pass, but one that wont BS them simply because they don’t understand the regulations, and will give them suggestions other than “it’s not stock, it failed”.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS
 
melloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #604
Posts: 2,253
Thanked 2,439 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
I think people are starting to find it frustrating that this whole process is so badly managed. From the officers who don’t understand what they are looking at and so send people for a VI (which really seems like an automatic fine, guilty or not you are paying for the inspection because the officer that hands it out is uneducated on what they are looking at) to the seemingly wide interpretation of the laws, back to different things passing or failing depending on where you go to have it looked at.

So people want to go to a shop they know they can trust, not necessarily to get them to pass, but one that wont BS them simply because they don’t understand the regulations, and will give them suggestions other than “it’s not stock, it failed”.
Yet when police go to school, just like with ALOT of professions, you don't learn alot. They don't go to school to learn what parts would be illegal, and what is legal. By experience, they will know what is stock and what looks like a modification. Lots of people could assume that "just because it's different" it could mean that it is illegal some way or another.

It's a terrible system that I'd love to have all cleared up, because there are lots of reputable companies that make parts and jump through all the hoops the "DMV" sets.

Spoiler!
__________________
Quote:
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
no
 
jpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 5,162
Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
The issue is how well does the Honda dealership know the MVA and what actually is written up as illegal? Unfortunately I seem to know more about some Hondas than some of the dealerships I have been to.

I have heard of people being failed for simply having after market parts on a car. I have heard of people passing with parts that I am sure are not road legal.

I think people are starting to find it frustrating that this whole process is so badly managed. From the officers who don’t understand what they are looking at and so send people for a VI (which really seems like an automatic fine, guilty or not you are paying for the inspection because the officer that hands it out is uneducated on what they are looking at) to the seemingly wide interpretation of the laws, back to different things passing or failing depending on where you go to have it looked at.

So people want to go to a shop they know they can trust, not necessarily to get them to pass, but one that wont BS them simply because they don’t understand the regulations, and will give them suggestions other than “it’s not stock, it failed”.
nailed it
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #24
private modder
 
Eff-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Shore
Posts: 6,053
Thanked 1,639 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
This was discussed here before. My opinion, and that of several experienced career Traffic Members is that you shoud do what the inspection order says and that we have the authority to designate a specific location. This was done to prevent cars getting passed by inspectors who did not do proper inspections. Others here disagree about that authority and that is their opinion.
As long as the shop is a certified gov't inspection facility, then that should be enough for the public to make their own choice of shop. If officers are seeing certified shops with inspectors who are not doing proper inspections, why aren't you going after the shops themselves for violating the rules? Instead of blaming the public for this and placing a burden on them.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,977
Thanked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
This was discussed here before. My opinion, and that of several experienced career Traffic Members is that you shoud do what the inspection order says and that we have the authority to designate a specific location. This was done to prevent cars getting passed by inspectors who did not do proper inspections. Others here disagree about that authority and that is their opinion.
I think the key in this section is the term "forthwith". A VI order doesn't require that the vehicle be immediately moved to a specified location for inspection.

Notice how this section leaves out references to "inspection facility".
__________________
Consider reading the research before commenting on photo enforcement: http://thenewspaper.com/

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net