REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #26
RS controls my life!

call the cops and tell them what happened. Similar thing happened to my mother's business, I followed the guy back to his apartment on foot. He came into our yard saying "he lost his gold necklace" fucking idiot right? I think him and another person were trying to scope out my property.

One time during the evening, came up to my door and tried to open by turning the knob, and during that time my dad heard the door so he went to look out the window and the guy just walks away. The cops parked across the street watching my property for a week straight after to catch them but unfortunately it did not happen again
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

make sure hang up a confederation flag n hang up a sign saying this home doesn't call 911
dee242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #28
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
4CH Security DVR are really cheap these days.. $100 is a good investment even as deterrence.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #29
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Don't beat them up if they break in: Markham residents charged with critically injuring break and enter suspect | Toronto Star
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
I love this. Only in Canada the break in victim will get in more shit for trying to prevent their property from being stolen than actually letting their shit get taken. Sometimes, American legal policy does it right with castle/stand-your-ground laws, even if it can get gun happy.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #31
I don't get it

Send the surveillance vid to the cops. They might be able to identify them. Also capture a picture of them and pass them around the neighbourhood to setup a block watch.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
I am not a police, but I assume that unless I am physically provoked/attacked (fearing life in danger), I can attack back and beat the crap out of them? If I am the one to first hit them, I would be the one getting charged?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
...... Common sense?

-Call the VPD non-emergency line.
-Say there have been suspicious people coming by your home late at night, almost every night of the week.
-Say you feel as if they might be people coming by to "scope out" your house for a robbery because their reasons of why they're are there so late are ridiculous. (Make sure you mention what they say they're there for, and at what time)

VPD should atleast be informed... They will hopefully then send a few extra units a night around your neighborhood. You might not be the only one they are targetting in the neighborhood.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #34

Definitely going to look at setting up more security measures. My home doesn't even look like there's anything to steal. Looks like every other home down the neighborhood. If anything, I would think they would attempt my neighbors house, they got like 6 cars to the family (Got cash?)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I am not a police, but I assume that unless I am physically provoked/attacked (fearing life in danger), I can attack back and beat the crap out of them? If I am the one to first hit them, I would be the one getting charged?
Cop: How'd this man get injured so bad?
Citizen: "He fell down a flight of stairs"
Cop: But you only have 2 stairs out front.
Citizen: "Yup, he fell down them"
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Will it help? No...but CALL THE COPS.

Of anything, and this is sad, it gets recorded as an incident, and tied to your address. Meaning when they pull up maps of activity in planning routes, or statistics, or assigning officers or whatever else they do in terms of planning, you are there.

Once again, its one little icon on a map with a footnote, but if someone has targeted you, then they have targeted others. That one extra patrol for a PO may be the one that leaves you with a broken door, as opposed to a broken door, empty house and traumatized family member.

Other than that, take a look around your house and see what areas you are weak in. Then fix them. Super high level:

Bushes by windows-huge thing. You basically take it from breaking in with 60 seconds, and make a nice screen so they can take an hour.

Lights-light it up. Seriously, whats a few hours with an electrician putting in a few non-obtrusive security lights? Get it done.

Cameras---are useless. They make people feel better, and that's about it. Here is the one scenario where they help. They catch a guy somewhere else, and they may, possibly, say, "oh look, you are this guy too". We have cameras at one of our buildings, and the guy was there for an hour trying to steal a motorcycle. Full face shots, multiple cameras...nothing. In my opinion, its a nice add-on to a security setup, but don't base it off of them. All you do is end up watching the crime happen in playback at remarkable resolution.

Locks-If there is glass anywhere near the deadbolt, then you need the dual keyed lock type so you can't smash the glass and open the door. Steel reinforced door jamb with a plate to prevent shimying the lock open. Ugly? Kind of. But effective. Picture a 200lb baddie giving the boots to your door, repeatedly. He doesn't care about damage. Wants in. Now stop it, with large fucking bolts and steel. Oversize everything.

Windows-bars on all ground accessible windows..basements and such. You want to slow them down. Especially anything at the side of the house where visibility is nil.

Hope that helps!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #37
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Cameras---are useless. They make people feel better, and that's about it. Here is the one scenario where they help. They catch a guy somewhere else, and they may, possibly, say, "oh look, you are this guy too". We have cameras at one of our buildings, and the guy was there for an hour trying to steal a motorcycle. Full face shots, multiple cameras...nothing. In my opinion, its a nice add-on to a security setup, but don't base it off of them. All you do is end up watching the crime happen in playback at remarkable resolution.
Just because you had one incident where video didn't help, doesn't make cameras useless. Especially since you claim that the evidence was in remarkable resolution. Now the police have filed his image and if someone matching that description is involved in a crime, they may show that image to a victim etc. You have no idea how much those images might help, and you may even get a call one day that he was apprehended for another crime.

Normally video IS useless when people invest in a $100 DVR (like someone else suggested). You might get lucky and catch a good frame but a lot of those machines are garbage. If you're looking for a deterrent, sure, grab a Costco system. If you're looking for usable video evidence, call a security professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
I love this. Only in Canada the break in victim will get in more shit for trying to prevent their property from being stolen than actually letting their shit get taken. Sometimes, American legal policy does it right with castle/stand-your-ground laws, even if it can get gun happy.
I'll keep taking my chances.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #39

I called the police and filed a report. Even though, there's not enough solid evidence to assist them, it can allow them to be more aware if similar incidents have happened around the neighborhood.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Just because you had one incident where video didn't help, doesn't make cameras useless. Especially since you claim that the evidence was in remarkable resolution. Now the police have filed his image and if someone matching that description is involved in a crime, they may show that image to a victim etc. You have no idea how much those images might help, and you may even get a call one day that he was apprehended for another crime.

Normally video IS useless when people invest in a $100 DVR (like someone else suggested). You might get lucky and catch a good frame but a lot of those machines are garbage. If you're looking for a deterrent, sure, grab a Costco system. If you're looking for usable video evidence, call a security professional.
LOL. I was waiting to see how long before a reaction to that

OK, maybe "useless" was harsh, but I certainly wouldn't want to say that a camera forms the basis of a security system.

Sure, its a deterrent.

But anytime you have a picture of a crime taking place on camera, it has failed. So now you are left to catch the guy after the fact. A dubious goal at best based on the ability to determine identification and find him. Sure! Absolutely, its better than no picture at all, but I'd prefer the person couldn't do what they intended to do first, rather than have a picture of them walking through my front door.

I personally like locks(expensive locks), lights and landscaping for deterrents to crime. After those were accomplished, and I really wanted something pretty, I'd buy some cameras.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
I'll keep taking my chances.
Maybe I can whip out a chainsaw and wake up the entire neighborhood to get everyone's attention. They won't come back
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #42
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
I was thinking couldn't you just confront em? Next time they come around just tell em what the fuck r you doing here at 10pm? (Or w/e time) tell them you call bullshit on their religious crap and you've informed the police about suspicious activity. And don't forget to swear every other word it makes you look tough

But in all seriousness... Is that a good or bad thing to do?
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #43
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
first time:

second time:
Spoiler!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 04-29-2013 at 09:29 AM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
I was thinking couldn't you just confront em? Next time they come around just tell em what the fuck r you doing here at 10pm? (Or w/e time) tell them you call bullshit on their religious crap and you've informed the police about suspicious activity. And don't forget to swear every other word it makes you look tough

But in all seriousness... Is that a good or bad thing to do?
Posted via RS Mobile
They can either back off and be afraid that police are informed. Or they could get pissed and come back for revenge
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

print your own "Protected by AlarmForce home security" stickers. paste them on all your doors
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #46
I don't get it

I always wondered how effective AlarmForce is...
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykopathik View Post
print your own "Canadian Gun Nutz" stickers. paste them on all your doors
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #48
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
call 911... describe the car and suspects... do so immediately if they ever show up again...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #49
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
american thieves sue their victims all the time.. that's where all the stories have come from down south

Judge dismisses killer?s lawsuit that sought to sue victim?s widow | Q13 FOX News

Burglar sues Calif. homeowner, 90, who returned fire - Crimesider - CBS News

Accused Burglar Sues Homeowner Who Shot Him | WISN Home - WISN Home

Only in America...burglar sues victim from jail - Virginia Beach Conservative | Examiner.com

so do brits

Burglar dies after falling from top-floor window following confrontation with homeowner | Mail Online

list can go on and on

sorry i just cant stand people slamming the justice system and going america hell yeah! when its so far from the truth
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #50

^ so what i get from these stories, is ,, if somebody breaks into your house,,, make sure they leave in a body bag,, or else they will sue u??
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: