REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Home Intrusion Attempt (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683467-home-intrusion-attempt.html)

Euro7r 04-28-2013 08:37 PM

Home Intrusion Attempt

Second time in the past two weeks, my mother has informed me two males have come into our property. First time was around 10pm-ish and the lights went on and they left. Tonight, they came and said they were Church people and wanted to share the Gospel.

Who the hell comes late at night like this and shares the Gospel, obviously scoping out my home and hoping someone would open the door to break in. Two males driving a truck and it's only my home they come to.

It's dark at night and couldn't get any description of car/plate number to call police. What's the best option I should proceed with?

I also need to get gates put up on both sides of my house, maybe that's the factor that is causing my home to be a target?? Having no side gates put up? Anyone can assist with getting gates put up?

MeowMeow 04-28-2013 08:44 PM

I think you should call the police and explain the situation anyways. Maybe the cops can get information from your neighbours.
My neighbor went through home intrusion years ago and his mom experiences mild PTSD till this day.
Hope everyone's safe & wish you luck with everything

i-vtecyo 04-28-2013 08:47 PM

Did they knock on ur door tonight, or did u go out to confront them? fences would help but not by that much. Im assuming u have thoes sensor lights that turn on when they get within range? If not, install thoes + maybe a surveillance camera. For the next couple of days maybe leave one light on at night so when they come back, they still think ur awake. Also call the non emergency line and let them know.

Euro7r 04-28-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-vtecyo (Post 8224225)
Did they knock on ur door tonight, or did u go out to confront them? fences would help but not by that much. Im assuming u have thoes sensor lights that turn on when they get within range? If not, install thoes + maybe a surveillance camera. For the next couple of days maybe leave one light on at night so when they come back, they still think ur awake. Also call the non emergency line and let them know.

They rang the door bell tonight. Yes, we have security sensor lights all around the house. My neighbors security lights go off too when someone walks by. My mother is watching TV with lights on.......

holyshit 04-28-2013 09:04 PM

I don't have any real advice but may I ask where your neighborhood is located?

SkinnyPupp 04-28-2013 09:04 PM

Get their license # if you can. I pulled up on someone about to break into my house before, and I stupidly didn't get the license plate so was pretty much useless to the police.

rsx 04-28-2013 09:05 PM

Yeah, alert the non-emergency hotline. Maybe they can reroute patrol cars to scope out your neighbourhood. I would even leave a note for the neighbours alerting them of suspicious activity. In the end, everyone is going to be more vigilante and your neighbours might give the cops a call if they see someone breaking in.

Be safe.

Euro7r 04-28-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8224240)
Get their license # if you can. I pulled up on someone about to break into my house before, and I stupidly didn't get the license plate so was pretty much useless to the police.

That's the tough part. It's happened twice late at night when it's dark outside, can't see plate #, unless I somehow get outside without being spotted to get their plate number.

Euro7r 04-28-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 8224241)
Yeah, alert the non-emergency hotline. Maybe they can reroute patrol cars to scope out your neighbourhood. I would even leave a note for the neighbours alerting them of suspicious activity. In the end, everyone is going to be more vigilante and your neighbours might give the cops a call if they see someone breaking in.

Be safe.

I don't have plate # and any sort of solid description. Police won't be able to do much? I am just sharing the information based on what my mother told me. I'm gonna let my neighbors around me know about it tomorrow.

LiquidTurbo 04-28-2013 09:16 PM

What neighbourhood is this?

Euro7r 04-28-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8224259)
What neighbourhood is this?

Between DT/Killarney Area

rsx 04-28-2013 09:20 PM

Yeah that's tough, but it wouldn't hurt to give a vehicle description and occupants. Like I said, maybe dispatch can note it and if there are cops in the area they can just drive by.

If you don't live with your parents, drop by every now and then at those times. Seems most home invasions target the elderly.

LiquidTurbo 04-28-2013 09:21 PM

Maybe install cams?

Gerbs 04-28-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8224261)
Between DT/Killarney Area

I had people come in and ask if we needed more security of something and would help us set up cameras LOL by the 49th vic area.

Mr.HappySilp 04-28-2013 09:24 PM

Get a dog and by dog I mean a Big dog like a husky that can bark.
Usually when people try to scope your house and knows you have a dog they usually stay away form it.

dark0821 04-28-2013 09:37 PM

damn killarney area eh... -.- thats where I live... like 45th and kerr ish

good luck to the OP though... situations like this is always tough, maybe put up those alarm sticker on the front door... you know those square ones that says
"this house uses ******* security"

and if your house have it.. great.. leave it on... I can set up my alarm to a custom mode, which means that all activity inside the home are ignored by the system, but if a window/door opens, the alarm sounds... my parents are paranoid and always uses this when all of us are home....

spideyv2 04-28-2013 09:38 PM

That's scary, OP

Please...stay safe

Euro7r 04-28-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8224264)
Maybe install cams?

Looking into getting that after this incident.

Euro7r 04-28-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark0821 (Post 8224287)
damn killarney area eh... -.- thats where I live... like 45th and kerr ish

good luck to the OP though... situations like this is always tough, maybe put up those alarm sticker on the front door... you know those square ones that says
"this house uses ******* security"

and if your house have it.. great.. leave it on... I can set up my alarm to a custom mode, which means that all activity inside the home are ignored by the system, but if a window/door opens, the alarm sounds... my parents are paranoid and always uses this when all of us are home....

I have to check if there are stickers put up. It's not of use if it's at night time, since it's dark, no one will notice something like that.

Renthal 04-28-2013 09:45 PM

place these items outside your front door:
-used size 15 work boots
-old issues of guns and ammo magazines
-giant dog food bowl with animal parts in it
-NRA sticker on mailbox

notify the police and get a security camera and maybe upgrade the door locks?

SkinnyPupp 04-28-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8224250)
That's the tough part. It's happened twice late at night when it's dark outside, can't see plate #, unless I somehow get outside without being spotted to get their plate number.

Don't worry about being spotted. Thieves are cowards. If they know you're onto them, they will probably move on to an easier target. In this case, it's better to let it be known you are onto them. You don't have to confront them, but you can and should go after them and record any info you can. Take pictures of them if you want, even when they are doing the fake religious thing...

trollface 04-28-2013 09:51 PM

You need a SKS.

fliptuner 04-28-2013 09:53 PM

They have doorbell and motion activated cameras that will take pics/vid of people at your front door - you should look into it. I know there are a few people on RS who install such systems or advise you on your options.

Short of that, we should have poker night at your house. Some of us can bring our dogs too, if you want.

Euro7r 04-28-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8224305)
They have doorbell and motion activated cameras that will take pics/vid of people at your front door - you should look into it. I know there are a few people on RS who install such systems or advise you on your options.

Short of that, we should have poker night at your house. Some of us can bring our dogs too, if you want.

My door bell doesn't do that :pokerface:. It doesn't take pictures, but it shows who's at my front door on the display screen.

twitchyzero 04-28-2013 10:22 PM

Security Man Dummy Security Camera (SM-3601S) : Security Cameras - Best Buy Canada