REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #51
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
^ so what i get from these stories, is ,, if somebody breaks into your house,,, make sure they leave in a body bag,, or else they will sue u??
no. unless you are American. Are you American?
Advertisement
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,175 Times in 705 Posts
Not to nit pick.. but it has to be a legal American resident living in the 50 States of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
no. unless you are American. Are you American?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,020 Times in 431 Posts
To be honest if someone has the mindset to get into your house they will doesnt matter what you do to try to prevent it, assuming that your not hoarding valuable in your house that people know about all you can really do is make your house a harder target for common everyday thief's and druggies.

Get a Dog, Get a beware of dog sign, get a security system with flashing lights. Have irregular schedule.

provided that your house isn't a ocean 11 style targeted hit any potential thief will just either

-do a really primary stakeout at which point they will realize there is easier target
-test their faith by just trying to break in at which point they will discover your dog or ur security system, being un prepare will just give up and try a easier target

now if you have the repeated break in where the guys are strategically testing weak points in your security system, you really need to look into which one of your friends that ratted you out and remove the said valuable from your house and make it known to that friend.

nobody puts that much effort into breaking into a house unless they know you have more than the regular household items inside the house.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #54
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
To be honest if someone has the mindset to get into your house they will doesnt matter what you do to try to prevent it, assuming that your not hoarding valuable in your house that people know about all you can really do is make your house a harder target for common everyday thief's and druggies.

Get a Dog, Get a beware of dog sign, get a security system with flashing lights. Have irregular schedule.

provided that your house isn't a ocean 11 style targeted hit any potential thief will just either

-do a really primary stakeout at which point they will realize there is easier target
-test their faith by just trying to break in at which point they will discover your dog or ur security system, being un prepare will just give up and try a easier target

now if you have the repeated break in where the guys are strategically testing weak points in your security system, you really need to look into which one of your friends that ratted you out and remove the said valuable from your house and make it known to that friend.

nobody puts that much effort into breaking into a house unless they know you have more than the regular household items inside the house.
I have to admit, there are some weak points of my home; however, I do not have any valuables at home or anything outside that makes our home a target. Hell, we are still using a 27'' CRT TVs in all our rooms. No one dresses flashy or carry any "Bling" as we aren't that type.

Only thing valuable is my appliance and leather sofa!
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #55
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
maybe they think you're homes a grow op maybe they got some bad information

otherwise i dont think the common burglar would make so many attempts
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #56
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
^ so what i get from these stories, is ,, if somebody breaks into your house,,, make sure they leave in a body bag,, or else they will sue u??
^ Yup

Same with officers...they're told to shoot to kill...not shoot to injure in case the criminal might sue.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #57
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 4,930 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
and clean your remington 870 in front of the front window with the lights on and the blinds open every evening for 2 weeks.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #58
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
Anyone telling him to get a dog is bad advice...
Unless he already planned to get a dog and prepared to take care of one,
Getting a dog for this sole purpose is dumb.
Posted via RS Mobile
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #59
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Just because you had one incident where video didn't help, doesn't make cameras useless. Especially since you claim that the evidence was in remarkable resolution.
To clarify, cameras ARE useless to STOP something like this... but the video MAY help track the guy down afterward, or aid in prosecution, IF you have a sufficient system, and more importantly, if it's properly designed and installed.

Your $100 DVR or $400 cameras-and-DVR package setup is likely going to be a waste of money, if for no other reason than the cameras are trying to do everything and thus really don't do any one thing well.

Instead of crappy cheap IR "night vision" cameras (night vision, what a joke), I usually recommend a decent (or better) "true day/night" camera, placed beside or near a motion-activated flood light: first of all, if someone is creeping around, a bright light blasting on is more often than not going to simply scare them away. Second, the natural reaction to a light coming on is to look toward the source of it to see if someone has spotted you... and bingo, you have a nice, straight-on, well-lit face shot.

Quote:
If you're looking for usable video evidence, call a security professional.
Bingo. Ditto for an alarm system. In both cases, if the system isn't installed properly, it won't work properly... or at all.

The suggestion of an alarm system with a "Stay" feature is a good one - basically you arm it in "Stay" mode when you come in (or program it to auto-arm), which arms all perimeter sensors (doors and windows, generally) while leaving motion sensors in bypass mode, so you can move around the house without triggering it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,384 Times in 575 Posts
I think prevention is more crucial.

These guys probably checked OP's mom place a few times already. They often do that to understand the pattern or daily routine of the family living in any particular house.

If OP's mom lives alone, I'd suggest OP moves back to stay for a few days.

Then it's about a piece of mind... get some home insurance against theft (if OP's mom hasn't) and move valuable/meaningful items out of house for a while.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #61
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think prevention is more crucial.

These guys probably checked OP's mom place a few times already. They often do that to understand the pattern or daily routine of the family living in any particular house.

If OP's mom lives alone, I'd suggest OP moves back to stay for a few days.

Then it's about a piece of mind... get some home insurance against theft (if OP's mom hasn't) and move valuable/meaningful items out of house for a while.
These fuckers are burglars for sure. All dressed up in black, both carrying black backpacks. Leave and jump into their car and leave after my mom told them she wasn't interested hearing about it. Most likely stolen car if anything. If they were really preaching the gospel, they would walk on foot home by home.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #62
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
and clean your remington 870 in front of the front window with the lights on and the blinds open every evening for 2 weeks.
I prefer mossberg 500 but yes, this will work.

Or rig up a sensor light to play the pump action sound everytime it goes off
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #63
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,481 Times in 465 Posts
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Anyone telling him to get a dog is bad advice...
Unless he already planned to get a dog and prepared to take care of one,
Getting a dog for this sole purpose is dumb.
Posted via RS Mobile
while this is true, nothing beat a k9 for security purpose and k9 have earn their place amongst men since era ago for its ability to warn and deter. the most advance security system can and do fail, anything install by humans can be uninstall by humans. ask any professional thief and they will tell you they rather deal with a fort knox level security system than an unpredictable yappy Chihuahua not to mention a 110 pound growling rottweiler. Yes it is possible to disable an untrained dog but its not as simple as cut x wire to disable y system. If the dog is trained (i.e., protection trained) its damn near impossible to get around it short of shooting it. When thief goes that far you have a much bigger problem on your hands than losing a tv.

Of course dog ares a much bigger responsibility than paying set amount of money to install a security system but what will provide you with security AND unconditional love

Another alternative is to borrow a frd's dog for awhile, if its not a ongoing problem just having a dog there for a little while would help. Had a lot of break in in my neighborhood throughout the year and my houses and my neighbors have all been safe, just having the presence of a dog really helps.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #65
I don't get it

Still think you need a SKS, or two.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #66
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
while this is true, nothing beat a k9 for security purpose and k9 have earn their place amongst men since era ago for its ability to warn and deter. the most advance security system can and do fail, anything install by humans can be uninstall by humans. ask any professional thief and they will tell you they rather deal with a fort knox level security system than an unpredictable yappy Chihuahua not to mention a 110 pound growling rottweiler. Yes it is possible to disable an untrained dog but its not as simple as cut x wire to disable y system. If the dog is trained (i.e., protection trained) its damn near impossible to get around it short of shooting it. When thief goes that far you have a much bigger problem on your hands than losing a tv.

I get what you're saying.
But damn, if you're dealing with thieves that have that amount of disarming training,
you must be a bank or something for them to target you.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #67
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,216 Times in 624 Posts
they sell these on the "local" black market

how much do you think you're security is worth?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
they sell these on the "local" black market

how much do you think you're security is worth?
this is for self defense not home security ==
Old 04-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #69
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
this is for self defense not home security ==
So you think a camera is going to stop a criminal? lol
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
So you think a camera is going to stop a criminal? lol
hello. the camera has lights and record their movement and deter potential thieves from even entering the premise when they see one.

nobody knows you have a stun gun until they have actually break into your house, and which point you have to be close for the stun gun to actually work. To add to that the perp may have a gun with bullet that travels faster than you legs. honestly if it gets to this point even a baseball bat is as effective as a stun gun.

but your right to an extent, nothing will stop a determine criminal.

i take this back if you asking op to walk around outside his house playing with his stun gun 24/7
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #71
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,631 Times in 5,339 Posts
If a thief sees a camera, dog, alarm system, or knows you know about them, 9 times out of 10 they'll move to a different target. And the more of those things you have, the better. Unless they are specifically going for something in your house, they will usually give up if it's too difficult or dangerous to rob it.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #72
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 2,877 Times in 872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
I prefer mossberg 500 but yes, this will work.

Or rig up a sensor light to play the pump action sound everytime it goes off

Saw - The Quadruple Shotgun - YouTube
CorneringArtist is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #73
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,504 Times in 525 Posts
Property Crime:

Most likely these guys are trying to commit a property crime, a residential break and enter to be specific. The scoping of the house from the yard and the "door checks" (attempts to see whether the door is secured or not) are common indicators. They may be also assessing the types of locks you have and whether or not a secondary door guard is present (i.e. door chain).

I don't think that their intention is to do a home intrusion/invasion. Mainly based on the fact that they've scoped out the house on multiple occasions and overall seem very sloppy. People who do home intrusion/invasions generally scope the house out once and decide whether or not to invade the home.

MO

Any specific identifiers that you can recall would aid the police in catching the individuals. It seems like they have a vehicle (a truck) and work in pairs. They target during the night and have a cover story (religion) for coming onto the property. You should try to recall as much detail as possible including but not limited to suspect(s) descriptions, vehicle description, time of day, day of the week, frequency, etc...

CPTED

People have suggested getting cameras, installing lights, fences, etc... These are all good suggestions. These will not prevent the possibility of crime occurring. What they are suggesting is called 'target hardening' and is one of the principles of 'Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design'. Essentially what you are doing is securing your premises enough that it will deter suspects from committing a property crime and moving elsewhere.

Home Defense

Please read the relevant sections of the criminal code of canada for information on home/self defense.

Defence of Person - Section 34
Defense of Property - Section 38

If you have further concerns about your rights to defend yourself or your property I would suggest talking to a lawyer. There is free legal advice available over the phone and I strongly suggest that you speak with a person not read legal advice on the internet. Ignorance of the law is not a defence in a court of law.

My Suggestions

Keep a watchful eye out. Try to stay home at night if possible especially if your mother is home alone. If you need to leave the house have some sort of check in system so that you can call the house periodically to make sure everything is ok at home.

Develop a plan/strategy incase a home invasion or break and enter does occur. Rooms in the house where you can lock the door and have access to a phone to call 911 or if possible running to the neighbors house while calling 911. Notify your neighbors that there are suspicious individuals in the neighborhood and provide them with a description. They may have seen them before and might be able to provide pertinent information to assist the police in apprehending the criminals.

Security cameras do help. If you can invest in them I strongly suggest you do. Often times video footage or images, even at crappy resolution will aid police in their investigation. It is often the case that a still image is extracted and a police officer recognizes the individual(s). Property crime offenders are generally habitual meaning that they are chronic offenders. There is a good chance that they are in the system and have been arrested on previous charges.

Do not try to confront them. Physical altercation should be best avoided unless necessary. They may have contagious diseases which may be transferred to you.

If they are using a truck/vehicle they are most likely going after larger items. Items such as televisions, computers, tools, equipment, etc are popular items to target for break and enters where vehicles are involved. I would suggest that you take pictures of your items and also note the serial numbers (if available) so that in the event of a theft occurring you can provide the information to both police and your home insurer.

Guns

This is a somewhat touchy subject in the recent light of events. I love guns and am a big proponent of them but don't suggest using them for home defense except in the most dire circumstances. An SKS is a poor choice for home defense. The 7.62x39 round will most likely penetrate multiple walls and could cause collateral damage such as entering your neighbors homes or hitting a car on the street. A 12 gauge pump action shotgun would be the best choice for home defense. 00 buck shot will have more than enough stopping power to put an intruder down without risk of penetration exceeding the confines of the premises. I would personally take a mossberg over a remington. Recently the quality of remington has gone down and the 870 express shotguns as pictured by Yoda have had failure to eject issues. A mossberg 500 would be an alright choice, even a mossberg 88 security (shorter barrel) would be good. If you can foot the bill I would go for a benelli supernova which is my personal choice for a 12 gauge.

A caveat must be made that you need to train in your house with the tools you plan on defending it with. Grabbing a shotgun and expecting to run and gun through the house counter-strike style is foolhardy at best. Knowing where what is and how to clear the rooms in the house is important. Operating a firearm under pressure is different than shooting one at the range.

Whatever you go with make sure you post an update here OP and good luck.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #74
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,978 Times in 261 Posts
There's nothing like the sound of racking a shell into a pump action shot gun.
Piss puddle cleanup.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #75
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

Locks-If there is glass anywhere near the deadbolt, then you need the dual keyed lock type so you can't smash the glass and open the door. Steel reinforced door jamb with a plate to prevent shimying the lock open. Ugly? Kind of. But effective. Picture a 200lb baddie giving the boots to your door, repeatedly. He doesn't care about damage. Wants in. Now stop it, with large fucking bolts and steel. Oversize everything.

Windows-bars on all ground accessible windows..basements and such. You want to slow them down. Especially anything at the side of the house where visibility is nil.

Hope that helps!
I agree with this but are there fire code rules for this? People in the basement trapped by bars and can't find the key to get out in a panic?
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote