REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
I live near white rock and I'm assuming you haven't been there lately. There has been massive development in the retail sector there. Big name stores have moved in. To say White Rock is in the boonies is a pretty stupid statement and one that has no factual basis.
No, I haven't been there in a few years. Which big name stores have moved in?
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
No offense, but if I made enough money to drop $2MM plus on a property, I wouldn't buy it anywhere in the Lower Mainland.
No offense, but if you were capable of making enough money to buy a $2MM home, you'd probably be thinking differently.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #28
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Are you serious? If you rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach, you should also consider moving to Tofino. It's nice enough for a weekend, but anything longer and YAWN! Is there even a Whole Foods out there yet?

If you've made enough coin to own a property over >$2M, you probably want to be near nice dining, high-end shopping, entertainment, commercial offices and live in a neighbourhood with similar demographics.

BTW, 2M will get you a fairly nice apt downtown and nice home for a family in North Van, so there's absolutely no reason to live about 70 km from civilisation.
I'm very familiar with the multi-million dollar club, thank you very much.

And guess what? Not everyone is obsessed with "high end" clothing or dining out at super fancy restaurants every night or even owning expensive supercars.

I'll give you a couple examples. My uncle retired at the age of 30 and is worth tens of millions of dollars. He lives in a small apartment in Queens, NY. He takes transit everywhere and apart from a month long boat cruise once a year, he lives a relatively miserly life. Fancy shit doesn't appeal to him at all. And then there's my girlfriend's parents. They just bought a piece of property a few miles away from Salmon Arm for a huge chunk of change. They could have bought a penthouse suite in Coal Harbour for the price they paid but they preferred to have the land, the privacy, and the chance to not deal with the shitty traffic we have down here. And who cares about if there's not a Whole Foods nearby... there's fresh fruits and vegetables available at multiple organic groceries in town, at a far cheaper price than Whole Foods.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #29

All I'm saying is that MOST people who buy a >$2M home prefer living in or close to the city than far, far out in Surrey / White Rock.

Pointing out a few exceptions does not prove that I'm incorrect.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
All I'm saying is that MOST people who buy a >$2M home prefer living in or close to the city than far, far out in Surrey / White Rock.

No. It shows that comments like:
Quote:
If you've made enough coin to own a property over >$2M, you probably want to be near nice dining, high-end shopping, entertainment, commercial offices and live in a neighbourhood with similar demographics.
can be viewed as presumptuous. In the jet setter lifestyle circle that you follow, that stereotype is probably very true. But there are still other circles out there that view money merely as financial security and choose not to blow it on expensive shit apart from maybe a house with a chunk of land for privacy. True, pointing out a few exceptions may not prove that you're incorrect but I guarantee you that the amount of people who are in that category is far larger than you think.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #31
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Are you serious? If you rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach, you should also consider moving to Tofino. It's nice enough for a weekend, but anything longer and YAWN! Is there even a Whole Foods out there yet?

BTW, 2M will get you a fairly nice apt downtown and nice home for a family in North Van, so there's absolutely no reason to live about 70 km from civilisation.
Though there are other individuals who enjoy the peacefulness away from all that. If dining, shopping, entertainment etc were so important to some they would hop into their vehicles...or better yet, not buy a property "70km away from civilization".
Your lifestyle =/= others.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

All the people in White Rock/South Surrey/Crescent prove you incorrect. And let me tell you, there's a lot of them.

I live just outside of what people consider "south surrey" and a lot of my friends live there. I spend most of my time in W/R these days and I love it there. If I could one day afford a place on Marine Drive on the water by 1001 steps I would take it in a heart beat. You have two major highways very close, DT is about 30min away on off peak hours and I never plan to work in Vancouver so why would I bother living there? For status? No thanks.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

BTW; White Rock and Crescent has some pretty nice dining. Sure not a ritzy 5* overpriced place like in Vancouver, but very nice for the location/price. I'd rather eat on White Rock strip every night and enjoy the beach and sunset than be in some small room in Vancouver eating "fine dining." And I've been quite lucky to experience a lot of it through friends/family and it really does not appeal to me.

Had a guy walk into my flying school the other day, looked like some old bloke. Came in said he wants to learn to fly so he can buy a Beaver on floats (if you know what that is, they ain't cheap) so he can fly to his fishing lodge. Guy was wearing dirty old jeans and and simple plaid shirt. He just bought a Piper 140 to learn on. Quite literally wrote a cheque and started flying it. Some people,... well a lot of people don't give two hoots about status. Some do.. that's fine. Just means more 2mill condos for them to buy that I won't be. Not that I can afford it anyways.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Crescent beach a new place will run like 1.2-2.5 mill but it's a completely "family" type community where everyone knows everyone, spent 6 months building a house there for a developer we work with

not my cup of tea, but different strokes for different folks, people with the money choose to be in that environment so it is what it is
Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
No, I haven't been there in a few years. Which big name stores have moved in?
South Surrey Outlets | The Shops at Morgan Crossing

thats just one outlet..there is another one across it but i cant remember the name right now
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #36
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
My first house was in Crescent Beach. ~100 steps from my door until my toes touched water. My wife and our friends would roll coolers out when tide was low, skimboard, toss a football, play beach bocce etc then head back to my place for a bbq and enjoy the finest sunset in the lower mainland. Great spot to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote