REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #151
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
Union is a waste of resource IMHO.

Everything that union do are pretty much against even the most basic economic theories. They keep costs artificially high and argue that it's for the sake of a better living standard for all.

Nevertheless, all a company would do is to charge customers more in order to compensate for the extra expenses. This is the very same reason why a person making 35k a year in Canada lives at the same lifestyle as a person earning 12k (after conversion) a year in Taiwan, a country where union's influence is much lower.

I'm not arguing which is better, but from an economic perspective, all union did was to manipulate the basic principal of how commercial sector works. Thus affecting everyone outside of the union along with them.

Let's hope Canada/US unions would never expand too far. Argentina is arguably the country where union had the most power. (so much so, they influence political decisions) And they went from an economic superpower in the early 20th century to one of the worst in 21st.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #152
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Can someone educate me on unions/strikes?

Let's say this was 6 months ago.
If Ikea and the Union need to sign a contract, that implies that that they do not currently have a contract.
If they do not currently have a contract in place, what prevents Ikea from just not renewing the contract?
There must be some other legally binding agreement or law that prevents them from dropping the union altogether.

Put another way: If they just signed a 10 year deal, after 10 years, can they drop the Union altogether? If not, which agreement/legislation keeps them bound?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #153
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Where do you live?
For most people, Coquitlam is way too far.
Besides, the IKEA in richmond is brand new.
It's brand new yes but the Coquitlam one isn't exactly old. In fact they look the same. I don't go to the Coquitlam one and think shit this place is fucking old and needs some reno I rather go to the Richmond one that looks the same.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #154
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
when will the restaurant open again? need my spicy meatballllz

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #155
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Can someone educate me on unions/strikes?

Let's say this was 6 months ago.
If Ikea and the Union need to sign a contract, that implies that that they do not currently have a contract.
If they do not currently have a contract in place, what prevents Ikea from just not renewing the contract?
There must be some other legally binding agreement or law that prevents them from dropping the union altogether.

Put another way: If they just signed a 10 year deal, after 10 years, can they drop the Union altogether? If not, which agreement/legislation keeps them bound?
In 99.9% of the cases, when the current contract / CBA expires, the terms just keep carrying forward until a new contract has been reached. Then, depending on the union, the terms of the new contract may or may not retroactively apply back to the period when the old contract has expired, but the new one hasn't been signed.

So no, most of the time, neither side can just say "fxxk it" and ditch the other party.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #156
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
It's brand new yes but the Coquitlam one isn't exactly old. In fact they look the same. I don't go to the Coquitlam one and think shit this place is fucking old and needs some reno I rather go to the Richmond one that looks the same.
LOL, yeah it's only 12 years old, my dad still had his company then and did the interior fit up for walls and ceilings. They are cookie cutter anyway, not much difference from location to location.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #157
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In 99.9% of the cases, when the current contract / CBA expires, the terms just keep carrying forward until a new contract has been reached. Then, depending on the union, the terms of the new contract may or may not retroactively apply back to the period when the old contract has expired, but the new one hasn't been signed.

So no, most of the time, neither side can just say "fxxk it" and ditch the other party.
I don't understand what legal construct is binding the parties together if the contract has expired.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #158
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Typically, there is a clause in the in the current contract that says so. At a minimum, it is pretty much standard across all the public sector union CBAs.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #159
I STILL don't get it

yesss.. bring on the meatballs!
bobola is offline   Reply With Quote