REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Warning: Canada’s virtually counterfeit-proof polymer bills have been copied (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684157-warning-canada%92s-virtually-counterfeit-proof-polymer-bills-have-been-copied.html)

melloman 05-16-2013 09:47 AM

Warning: Canada’s virtually counterfeit-proof polymer bills have been copied

Quote:

Fabricated versions of Canada’s virtually counterfeit-proof polymer bills have sparked a police warning in New Westminster.

Seven fake $100 bills with the same irregularities have been discovered since the end of April, and police are cautioning the public to be on the lookout for more counterfeit currency.

The first imitation bills were reported on April 28 after a grocery store unknowingly accepted two counterfeit bills. Several days later, an individual tried unsuccessfully to deposit five bills at a bank where they were discovered to be fake.
Photos
Fake Bills 100 dollars Canada

Fabricated versions of Canada’s virtually counterfeit-proof polymer bills have sparked a police warning in New Westminster. (CTV)

The distinguishing features that separate the phony bills from the authentic bills are found in the transparent hologram section. Sgt. Diana McDaniel of New Westminster police said specific details are not visible on the counterfeit bills.

“The major difference is the flag on top of the building is missing on the counterfeit bill and the ‘100’ reflecting within the hologram is also missing,” she said.

Aside from these visible clues, the fake currency is also missing raised ink.

Both cases are under investigation and police say there are no persons of interest or arrests yet.

Police recommend that people take questionable bills to a nearby bank to determine its authenticity or refer to the Bank of Canada website for detailed photos and video.

Sauce: B.C. police warn about bogus $100 polymer bills | CTV British Columbia News

Interesting how criminals can still replicate a bill with all this crazy new tech on it. :pokerface:

lowside67 05-16-2013 09:51 AM

Well technically they can't seeing as it doesn't have much of that new tech in the replica bills...

Gridlock 05-16-2013 09:57 AM

Yeah, I went into Starbucks to break a new 100 in New West and the girl was examining the shit out of it. Told me there were fakes, and I bought a cheap coffee just to get change, so I fit the bill of a counterfeiter.

So I asked for the bill back, held it up next to my face, looked at the security camera, smiled and handed it back to her.

"Does that work?"

The guy behind me just laughed.

Hondaracer 05-16-2013 10:13 AM

They are probably pretty poor copies I'm sure
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 05-16-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8238691)
Yeah, I went into Starbucks to break a new 100 in New West and the girl was examining the shit out of it. Told me there were fakes, and I bought a cheap coffee just to get change, so I fit the bill of a counterfeiter.

So I asked for the bill back, held it up next to my face, looked at the security camera, smiled and handed it back to her.

"Does that work?"

The guy behind me just laughed.

was the expression of the barista :derp: or :rukidding:

:D

Soundy 05-16-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8238712)

Probably got a :fullofwin: and a date out of it.

"Hee hee hee, that's really funny, u wanna tap dis?"

Spoiler!

dinosaur 05-16-2013 10:37 AM

:squint:

GLOW 05-16-2013 10:40 AM

:lawl:

starbucks eh?

:troll:

adambomb 05-16-2013 10:43 AM

Shit bro! Fake hundees!! Hectic. :smokin:

BrRsn 05-16-2013 10:50 AM

pretty funny considering most places that you give a new $100 to don't even check it -- just give it a quick glance and file it away assuming there's no way to copy it :fuckthatshit:

dinamix 05-16-2013 11:08 AM

Fake? Damn china
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 05-16-2013 11:09 AM

at t&t they don't care if you give em old or new bills they check em like crazy... or maybe they just check me lol

fake new bills is no surprise considering plastic bills aren't new around the world

dinosaur 05-16-2013 11:10 AM

so...I guess we'll be looking forward to the new design in 2014!

love seeing my tax dollars at work :D

gdoh 05-16-2013 11:26 AM

:lawl:

StylinRed 05-16-2013 11:32 AM

im waiting for news regarding 3D printers printing these new polymer bills

Vale46Rossi 05-16-2013 11:36 AM

lololololol so soon.

FerrariEnzo 05-16-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8238682)
Interesting how criminals can still replicate a bill with all this crazy new tech on it. :pokerface:

They need to try and keep up with times, otherwise they cant survive.. Im sure its only for testing purposes... Now that they know what to look for, im sure they are looking for ways to fix it and update their printing presses and try again..

Manic! 05-16-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8238762)

So when did 3D printers start printing in more than one color?

StylinRed 05-16-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8238821)
So when did 3D printers start printing in more than one color?

there's more issues than just using multiple colours i think but to answer your question
Cubify - Express Yourself in 3D

or the diy method http://www.3ders.org/articles/201302...d-printer.html

it'll happen eventually and likely sooner than we think

Yodamaster 05-16-2013 02:42 PM

Well shit, I'll make sure to check the clues out before I ever accept a $100

Gridlock 05-16-2013 03:07 PM

Personally, from a security perspective, we were probably better with the last gen.

Everyone knew what to look for in fakes.

Gridlock 05-16-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8238712)

Like everyone else, she appreciated me being a sarcastic prick :-)

bloodmack 05-16-2013 03:19 PM

I remember an officer coming to BCIT and showing us fake bills of the last gen and even the best one was easy as hell to spot.. lol

godwin 05-16-2013 03:30 PM

Currently even the best printer from Stratasys doesn't have the resolution to do the replication of a bill properly. Also they can't do the trick merging of the clear/ laser and opaque bits well either.

As for holograms.. those thing shave been cracked in China since the late 90s, when Microsoft went whole hog on the Windows CD.

Not to mention there are more commercial polymers out there than most people think. Saying polymer is like saying you are an organism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8238845)
there's more issues than just using multiple colours i think but to answer your question
Cubify - Express Yourself in 3D

or the diy method 3ders.org - Tutorial: Creating multi-color prints using a one-colour 3D printer | 3D Printer News & 3D Printing News

it'll happen eventually and likely sooner than we think

tgill 05-16-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8238762)

Seems like a hard way to counterfeit a polymer bill?

3d printers are used for complex designs, not flat and super thin sheets of essentially plastic. Furthermore how many 3d printers can even reproducer the complex colours needed to do this? I don't think it exists.

Seems much easier to just print counterfeits on polymer sheets just as traditional bills are made.