REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!
 
sir_miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I disagree!! I lived in Hong Kong for most of my life before moving to Vancouver (16 to be exact) and personally I find that people there are much less racist than those over here. Firstly I can tell you that I have a much more culturally diverse group of friends in Hong Kong than I do over here. I rarely hear anyone using terms such as "white trash" "Fobs" "Surrey jacks" or equivalent terms, compared to people here. In fact, the only group of people Hong Kongers discriminate is probably mainlanders, but that is not without reason. I have often seen and heard of accounts where some mainlanders taking a leak on the streets, or even holding their kids above the rubbish bins to take a dump. The worst part is, the public toilets were RIGHT BEHIND them.

Then again I can only speak for myself and the group of people around me. All I'm trying to say is that that statistic doesn't speak for all of us, and that people from any part of the world can be equally as racist or receptive of different culture and/or races.
Advertisement
sir_miata is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
^ur right, ppl here do throw around racist terms and hold racist stereotypes like it's nothing
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,679
Thanked 1,924 Times in 611 Posts
Being a surrey jack has nothing to do with race...its a mentality
Anyways racism is a wholly unquantifiable metric. If it was really the most racist city thered be fucking riots and lynchings
Posted via RS Mobile
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #29
The "You'd Know" Moderator
 
impactX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Home
Posts: 20,885
Thanked 214 Times in 118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_miata View Post
I disagree!! I lived in Hong Kong for most of my life before moving to Vancouver (16 to be exact) and personally I find that people there are much less racist than those over here. Firstly I can tell you that I have a much more culturally diverse group of friends in Hong Kong than I do over here. I rarely hear anyone using terms such as "white trash" "Fobs" "Surrey jacks" or equivalent terms, compared to people here. In fact, the only group of people Hong Kongers discriminate is probably mainlanders, but that is not without reason. I have often seen and heard of accounts where some mainlanders taking a leak on the streets, or even holding their kids above the rubbish bins to take a dump. The worst part is, the public toilets were RIGHT BEHIND them.

Then again I can only speak for myself and the group of people around me. All I'm trying to say is that that statistic doesn't speak for all of us, and that people from any part of the world can be equally as racist or receptive of different culture and/or races.
The terms "ah cha", "hak gui" (black ghost), "gui lo" (ghost men) are thrown around regularly in Hong Kong.
__________________
08 CBR600RR
03 IS300

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
shenmecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,854
Thanked 2,417 Times in 668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_miata View Post
I disagree!! I lived in Hong Kong for most of my life before moving to Vancouver (16 to be exact) and personally I find that people there are much less racist than those over here. Firstly I can tell you that I have a much more culturally diverse group of friends in Hong Kong than I do over here. I rarely hear anyone using terms such as "white trash" "Fobs" "Surrey jacks" or equivalent terms, compared to people here. In fact, the only group of people Hong Kongers discriminate is probably mainlanders, but that is not without reason. I have often seen and heard of accounts where some mainlanders taking a leak on the streets, or even holding their kids above the rubbish bins to take a dump. The worst part is, the public toilets were RIGHT BEHIND them.

Then again I can only speak for myself and the group of people around me. All I'm trying to say is that that statistic doesn't speak for all of us, and that people from any part of the world can be equally as racist or receptive of different culture and/or races.
In the middle of the street????

__________________
2014 Honda Civic Si
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #31
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,011
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_miata View Post
I disagree!! I lived in Hong Kong for most of my life before moving to Vancouver (16 to be exact) and personally I find that people there are much less racist than those over here. Firstly I can tell you that I have a much more culturally diverse group of friends in Hong Kong than I do over here. I rarely hear anyone using terms such as "white trash" "Fobs" "Surrey jacks" or equivalent terms, compared to people here. In fact, the only group of people Hong Kongers discriminate is probably mainlanders, but that is not without reason. I have often seen and heard of accounts where some mainlanders taking a leak on the streets, or even holding their kids above the rubbish bins to take a dump. The worst part is, the public toilets were RIGHT BEHIND them.

Then again I can only speak for myself and the group of people around me. All I'm trying to say is that that statistic doesn't speak for all of us, and that people from any part of the world can be equally as racist or receptive of different culture and/or races.
I will say that as far as malicious racism goes, CBC's tend to be worse than HKers from what I have seen.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #32
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,011
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
In the middle of the street????

This happens on a daily basis, and I have seen it several times myself (usually pissing in the street or a bag, not so much pooing). I almost got peed on by a girl in China before
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,011
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
Being a surrey jack has nothing to do with race...its a mentality
Anyways racism is a wholly unquantifiable metric. If it was really the most racist city thered be fucking riots and lynchings
Posted via RS Mobile
If you'd read the article, racism is quantified here by saying you don't want people of other race to be your neighbour.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #34
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,045
Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
US is built on immigration and is a melting pot - the issue arises when the more ignorant ppl come in contact with people who do not assimilate. I think you are using these rarer than not situations (although get spread on tv like wildfire) to allow urself to think that America is some racist place, when really, it isn't.

Any country is going to have ignorant people, we're just exposed to it more bc of the amount of tv coverage it gets in the US
i wasn't speaking based on television shows/reports at all, and i dont assume the whole state of america is a pot of racists pos either, odd that you would be quick to assume that of me... but i did expect to see the usa being multi-coloured in their chart however it would seem they're not being that exact/detailed
i've got family and stayed with them in all regions in the US from the deep south /east coast etc etc and almost shockingly Boston is amazingly racist, i've remarked on it in the past, and it's quite surprising considering how many international students there are and the states own makeup of citizens
also its not just my own feelings of the city and state either its widely viewed to be so by Americans even
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #35
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,045
Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Here's the ranking in Hongers' mind

1) White (are the master and good people, they shine their shoes)
2) Japanese (only the popstars and AV girls are god to them)
3) Twangers and Koreans
4) Mainlander China (no matter how much they make, they are lower class)
5) People with dark skin (fuck, don't touch me) darker the worse

So Skinny should survive no problem in Hong Kong lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Interesting observation... I won't say stupid.. but interesting. We should meet up so you can shine my shoes
lol it may seem stupid but asian_XL has it pretty spot on of the mindset
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #36
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,011
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
lol it may seem stupid but asian_XL has it pretty spot on of the mindset
Somewhat but I don't think they put white people on a pedestal that much. The colonial days are long over, and it's not like there is much of that mentality left
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RevYouUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 1,877 Times in 454 Posts
take a sample size of a few thousand people in a country and the whole country is racist
RevYouUp is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #38
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Mike Oxbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,141
Thanked 2,533 Times in 904 Posts
skinny moved to hong kong to feel more superior!

Spoiler!


/thread

asian_xl pretty much nailed all the main points of how a typical honger thinks.
Mike Oxbig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #39
Isaac's Hardstyle Sessions
 
Drow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,773
Thanked 1,807 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
skinny moved to hong kong to feel more superior!

Spoiler!


/thread

asian_xl pretty much nailed all the main points of how a typical honger thinks.
i dont really put gwai lo's on a pedestal

in my eyes chinese > all

and who would put another race above your own
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #40
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Mike Oxbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,141
Thanked 2,533 Times in 904 Posts
^
Mike Oxbig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #41
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,011
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
i dont really put gwai lo's on a pedestal

in my eyes chinese > all

and who would put another race above your own
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #42
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
I'm equally racist against everyone that isn't me.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Mr.Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver DT
Posts: 2,957
Thanked 2,216 Times in 624 Posts
what about japan?....we know we're the most superior Asian race
we have white & chinese girls all...."Kawaii desu" desu desu & the bitches love hello kitty.
__________________
Fly Your Own Flag.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #44
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Mike Oxbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,141
Thanked 2,533 Times in 904 Posts
actually koreans think they are the most superior race
Mike Oxbig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Mr.Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver DT
Posts: 2,957
Thanked 2,216 Times in 624 Posts
god dammit what did the koreans contribute for that conclusion?
watch K-Pop music video,Go to Korea to find the women & see them truly Bunk
__________________
Fly Your Own Flag.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #46
I signed up to a Zionist website and all the Illuminati gave me was this lousy usertitle
 
CharlesInCharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,605
Thanked 527 Times in 292 Posts
Dont read too much into these "news" articles as facts. The most raciest place on earth has to be isreal.
One of the grossest is organ trafficking...
second would probably be forcing and tricking black women to take a banned drug that makes them sterile, which means not being able to have children... forever.
Video http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/0...african-women/
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #47
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 東北
Posts: 829
Thanked 288 Times in 138 Posts
Man, this is such a downer...

Some of it isn't overt either. My father can kind of be considered on the "darker skinned" side of the spectrum but when I was born and they found out I was pale, the family rejoiced.

Even in Southeast Asia where people are normally of darker skin (and seem to be the least ideal neighbors according to the map), there seems to be the same type of mindset.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #48
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts


I just find it odd that a non-white can be racist towards anyone. I mean, that's like the bullied kid picking on the even smaller kid in glasses, stuck in a wheelchair. You just can't win.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,938 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
i wasn't speaking based on television shows/reports at all, and i dont assume the whole state of america is a pot of racists pos either, odd that you would be quick to assume that of me... but i did expect to see the usa being multi-coloured in their chart however it would seem they're not being that exact/detailed
i've got family and stayed with them in all regions in the US from the deep south /east coast etc etc and almost shockingly Boston is amazingly racist, i've remarked on it in the past, and it's quite surprising considering how many international students there are and the states own makeup of citizens
also its not just my own feelings of the city and state either its widely viewed to be so by Americans even
Boston is Boston, they're a def. anomaly!

I was just responding to what u said, ur words were clear, my response was clear, no need to try to read between the lines.

My point is, there are racists in every country, I would generalize by saying the more mixed your country (Canada, US), the less racism there is - the more racist places are the more homogeneous the country (Saudi Arabia, India, hk?) - a generalization certainly
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #50
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,938 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
i dont really put gwai lo's on a pedestal

in my eyes chinese > all

and who would put another race above your own
It must be so sad to be you
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net