REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #101
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
State point.

Re-state point.

Re-state point.

Re-state point.

Ad hominem.

You're a clever one, eh?
Sup?

Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #102
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Just to update this, the methodology of this survey is being torn apart by bloggers. Here's a good look at it: Hong Kong is NOT the Most Racist State in the World
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #103
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW11 View Post
mainlanders
This shitting on the street, is it just done up north or is it done down south too? With the heat it must stink
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #104
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
This shitting on the street, is it just done up north or is it done down south too? With the heat it must stink
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #105
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Australia (at least where I am) is extremely racist.
Maybe I've just been sheltered from racism because I lived in Richmond all my life, but holy shit some of the people things say to you just because you are chinese
Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #106
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
Maybe I've just been sheltered from racism because I lived in Richmond all my life, but holy shit some of the people things say to you just because you are chinese
Even worse against aboriginals
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #107
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Even worse against aboriginals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Sorry_Day
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #108
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
There's a saying in Chinese "a small piece of mouse shit will ruin the entire bucket of congee", not everyone is like the shameless shit in the pooping video.

If you can understand the types of Chinese dialects, you should be able to tell right away which area these uneducated fuck came from, those people who shit in the MTR or speak loudly in the public are mostly from rural area. They come to Hong Kong because they have never travelled that far or allowed to come here, the people I know who natively live in Guangzhou province would not come to Hong Kong unless they have something to buy, they say HK are now trashed by those farmers and low class people.

As for the working environment in Hong Kong, like I said, it really depends on who you are working with here. You get to think like a Honger and work smart in order to survive in such competitive environment, no one ever stay in one single company for the rest of their life. For those who chose to leave, either they have family in Canada or they couldn't find the proper job with his resume.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #109
RS controls my life!

Quote:
I haven't experienced much racism actually since I've been here 3 months ago, which part of Aussie you living in?
wc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #110
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Give some examples!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #111
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
It's been a mixed bag when it comes to Australia. Some say it's very racist, while others say it isn't (based on personal experiences as a visible minority.) Examples would be great and which city you're located in.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #112
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
not gonna lie, this excites me a little.
As much as the xenophobia in this thread, Dinosaur the Xenophobic?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #113
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc19 View Post
I haven't experienced much racism actually since I've been here 3 months ago, which part of Aussie you living in?
was there travelling for 3 months, plenty of racism in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Give some examples!
i was in sydney at a hostel, a lady (apparently she just got released from jail) was walking around with a box wine and chugging it back liberally. plopped her ass on a chair outside the hostel and then began ranting about asians (while directly looking at me) then saying some shit about how "asians are invading and ruining australia" and something about "the slant eyed right".

she also said middle eastern people were the worst type of people on earth and should be wiped out wholesale. then proceeded to rant about the "rag head" that she purchased said box wine from.

when i was in brisbane, i asked for directions and got told "back to where ever the fuck you came from".

when i was in surfer's paradise i was on the balcony of my hostel having a smoke and watched some fight happen on the street between a couple white dudes and some Filipino looking dudes with the words "chink", "gook", "zipper head" and a few other racial expletives being thrown around.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #114
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
"C'mon, bro. That's just freedom of expression." - RS Justice League

Spoiler!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #115
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
"C'mon, bro. That's just freedom of expression." - RS Justice League

Spoiler!
just sharing my experience while travelling in australia.

haven't really experienced racism in BC other than some stares and one dude staring me down while i was eating at the pub on bowen island.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #116
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Actually, when I was walking out of a building in Bangkok, I had some thug looking dude make some crack about white guys...something to do with their women and such. Honestly, I couldn't really make out what he said, but it struck me as the first and only time I felt offended racially.

I mean..it didn't really "offend" me per se. As I understand Thailand...white guys go, take their pick of the first class women, most of the second class and a few of the ones that used to be boys for some reason and left the rest for the locals, so I chalked it up to him being legitimately upset.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #117
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Honestly, some of my Asian brothers are making it hard for myself and other asians to travel abroad due to their manners. This creates more racism because the native canadians/europeans/americans etc see how rude some of us are and lump us all into the same category.

here's an awesome article on "uncivilized" manners.

Dire manners and 'uncivilised behaviour' of tourists is harming China's image

Quote:
The dire manners and "uncivilised behaviour" of some of its tourists are harming China's image overseas, a top official said.

Vice-Premier Wang Yang singled out "talking loudly in public places, jay-walking, spitting and wilfully carving characters on items in scenic zones".

Improving the civilised quality of the citizens [is] ... the obligations of governments at all levels VICE-PREMIER WANG YANG
Such bad manners were "often criticised by the media and have damaged the image of Chinese people and caused vicious impact", he said, according to the People's Daily website.

At a meeting on a new tourism law on Thursday, Wang said: "The quality and breeding of some tourists are not high yet."

As people get richer, foreign holidays are ever more popular. Destination countries, including debt-laden European states, have been easing visa restrictions to attract more tourists from China, but reports have emerged of complaints about etiquette.

A mainlander who had her son relieve himself in a bottle in a Hong Kong restaurant sparked online anger in February.

"Improving the civilised quality of the citizens and building a good image of Chinese tourists are the obligations of governments at all levels and relevant agencies and companies," Wang, a former party chief of Guangdong, said.

Authorities should "guide tourists to conscientiously abide by public order and social ethics, respect local religious beliefs and customs, mind their speech and behaviour … and protect the environment," he said.

Under the new Chinese law, travel agencies will be allowed to revoke their contracts with tourists who "engage in activities that violate social ethics", although it does not specify examples.

Hong Kong Travel Industry Council executive director Joseph Tung Yao-chung welcomed Wang's remarks. "I hope they [mainland tourists] really listen to state leaders. It is no use if they do not listen," he said. Not only the travel sector, but other areas such as retail and food and beverage would benefit, he said.

Some commenters on SCMP Facebook doubted Wang's remarks would have any effect.

Sara Jane Ho, principal of Beijing's Institute Sarita, China's first high-end finishing school, said: "Most Chinese do not behave this way on purpose … They grew up in a generation of basic survival; you don't have the luxury to think about manners and personal space when trying to fight to the front of the food ration line."

Dire manners and 'uncivilised behaviour' of tourists is harming China's image, admits VP Wang Yang | South China Morning Post
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #118
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc19 View Post
I'm in Melbourne CBD and have yet to experience any. Did a few roadtrips out to Albury for my fresh walnuts, honey and wine and didn't encounter there either. On a brighter note, drivers in the city are much better than those in Richmond/Vancouver, though I almost got hit by the tram a few times (damn hook turns)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #119
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Hook turns are fucked up but done right they actually work better than regular right(left) turns
Posted via RS Mobile
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #120
I don't get it

I wish we had Melbourne's laneways and streetcars in the downtown core...unfortunately, the residents would probably complain about the noise.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #121
RS controls my life!

I was living out in Kings Cross for a few weeks and didn't experience any racism there surprisingly with the amount of drunktards roaming around in that area. Only racism I experienced is during travelling on the public transport aka rail or bus that caucasian person would never choose to sit beside me unless its the last seat available. Other than that everyone has been friend and easy going. Now I live in Burwood aka chinatown.
wc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #122
RS Lurker, I don't post!

A fascinating map of the world?s most and least racially tolerant countries

According to the original source, the numbers were wrong for Bangladesh and Hong Kong as they have reversed the number of "Yes" and "No" on the questionnaires.

See the bottom of the Washington Post article, an update and correction was made by original author Max Fisher.

"Correction: This post originally indicated that, according to the World Values Survey, 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis and 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers had said that they would not want a neighbor of a different race. In fact, those numbers appear to be substantially lower, 28.3 percent and 26.8 percent, respectively. In both cases, World Values appears to have erroneously posted the incorrect data on its Web site. "
bmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote