REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I disagree!! I lived in Hong Kong for most of my life before moving to Vancouver (16 to be exact) and personally I find that people there are much less racist than those over here. Firstly I can tell you that I have a much more culturally diverse group of friends in Hong Kong than I do over here. I rarely hear anyone using terms such as "white trash" "Fobs" "Surrey jacks" or equivalent terms, compared to people here. In fact, the only group of people Hong Kongers discriminate is probably mainlanders, but that is not without reason. I have often seen and heard of accounts where some mainlanders taking a leak on the streets, or even holding their kids above the rubbish bins to take a dump. The worst part is, the public toilets were RIGHT BEHIND them.

Then again I can only speak for myself and the group of people around me. All I'm trying to say is that that statistic doesn't speak for all of us, and that people from any part of the world can be equally as racist or receptive of different culture and/or races.
Advertisement
sir_miata is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

^ur right, ppl here do throw around racist terms and hold racist stereotypes like it's nothing
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Being a surrey jack has nothing to do with race...its a mentality
Anyways racism is a wholly unquantifiable metric. If it was really the most racist city thered be fucking riots and lynchings
Posted via RS Mobile
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #29
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_miata View Post
I disagree!! I lived in Hong Kong for most of my life before moving to Vancouver (16 to be exact) and personally I find that people there are much less racist than those over here. Firstly I can tell you that I have a much more culturally diverse group of friends in Hong Kong than I do over here. I rarely hear anyone using terms such as "white trash" "Fobs" "Surrey jacks" or equivalent terms, compared to people here. In fact, the only group of people Hong Kongers discriminate is probably mainlanders, but that is not without reason. I have often seen and heard of accounts where some mainlanders taking a leak on the streets, or even holding their kids above the rubbish bins to take a dump. The worst part is, the public toilets were RIGHT BEHIND them.

Then again I can only speak for myself and the group of people around me. All I'm trying to say is that that statistic doesn't speak for all of us, and that people from any part of the world can be equally as racist or receptive of different culture and/or races.
The terms "ah cha", "hak gui" (black ghost), "gui lo" (ghost men) are thrown around regularly in Hong Kong.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:

In the middle of the street????

Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #31
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:

I will say that as far as malicious racism goes, CBC's tend to be worse than HKers from what I have seen.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
In the middle of the street????

This happens on a daily basis, and I have seen it several times myself (usually pissing in the street or a bag, not so much pooing). I almost got peed on by a girl in China before
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
Being a surrey jack has nothing to do with race...its a mentality
Anyways racism is a wholly unquantifiable metric. If it was really the most racist city thered be fucking riots and lynchings
Posted via RS Mobile
If you'd read the article, racism is quantified here by saying you don't want people of other race to be your neighbour.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
US is built on immigration and is a melting pot - the issue arises when the more ignorant ppl come in contact with people who do not assimilate. I think you are using these rarer than not situations (although get spread on tv like wildfire) to allow urself to think that America is some racist place, when really, it isn't.

Any country is going to have ignorant people, we're just exposed to it more bc of the amount of tv coverage it gets in the US
i wasn't speaking based on television shows/reports at all, and i dont assume the whole state of america is a pot of racists pos either, odd that you would be quick to assume that of me... but i did expect to see the usa being multi-coloured in their chart however it would seem they're not being that exact/detailed
i've got family and stayed with them in all regions in the US from the deep south /east coast etc etc and almost shockingly Boston is amazingly racist, i've remarked on it in the past, and it's quite surprising considering how many international students there are and the states own makeup of citizens
also its not just my own feelings of the city and state either its widely viewed to be so by Americans even
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #35
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Here's the ranking in Hongers' mind

1) White (are the master and good people, they shine their shoes)
2) Japanese (only the popstars and AV girls are god to them)
3) Twangers and Koreans
4) Mainlander China (no matter how much they make, they are lower class)
5) People with dark skin (fuck, don't touch me) darker the worse

So Skinny should survive no problem in Hong Kong lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Interesting observation... I won't say stupid.. but interesting. We should meet up so you can shine my shoes
lol it may seem stupid but asian_XL has it pretty spot on of the mindset
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
lol it may seem stupid but asian_XL has it pretty spot on of the mindset
Somewhat but I don't think they put white people on a pedestal that much. The colonial days are long over, and it's not like there is much of that mentality left
Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
take a sample size of a few thousand people in a country and the whole country is racist
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #38

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
skinny moved to hong kong to feel more superior!

Spoiler!

/thread

asian_xl pretty much nailed all the main points of how a typical honger thinks.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #39
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
skinny moved to hong kong to feel more superior!

Spoiler!

/thread

asian_xl pretty much nailed all the main points of how a typical honger thinks.
i dont really put gwai lo's on a pedestal

in my eyes chinese > all

and who would put another race above your own
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #40

^
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post

in my eyes chinese > all

Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #42
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I'm equally racist against everyone that isn't me.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #43
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
what about japan?....we know we're the most superior Asian race
we have white & chinese girls all...."Kawaii desu" desu desu & the bitches love hello kitty.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #44

actually koreans think they are the most superior race
Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #45
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
god dammit what did the koreans contribute for that conclusion?
watch K-Pop music video,Go to Korea to find the women & see them truly Bunk
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #46
I subscribe to Revscene

Dont read too much into these "news" articles as facts. The most raciest place on earth has to be isreal.
One of the grossest is organ trafficking...
second would probably be forcing and tricking black women to take a banned drug that makes them sterile, which means not being able to have children... forever.
Video http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/0...african-women/
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #47
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Man, this is such a downer...

Some of it isn't overt either. My father can kind of be considered on the "darker skinned" side of the spectrum but when I was born and they found out I was pale, the family rejoiced.

Even in Southeast Asia where people are normally of darker skin (and seem to be the least ideal neighbors according to the map), there seems to be the same type of mindset.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #48
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts

I just find it odd that a non-white can be racist towards anyone. I mean, that's like the bullied kid picking on the even smaller kid in glasses, stuck in a wheelchair. You just can't win.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #49

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
i wasn't speaking based on television shows/reports at all, and i dont assume the whole state of america is a pot of racists pos either, odd that you would be quick to assume that of me... but i did expect to see the usa being multi-coloured in their chart however it would seem they're not being that exact/detailed
i've got family and stayed with them in all regions in the US from the deep south /east coast etc etc and almost shockingly Boston is amazingly racist, i've remarked on it in the past, and it's quite surprising considering how many international students there are and the states own makeup of citizens
also its not just my own feelings of the city and state either its widely viewed to be so by Americans even
Boston is Boston, they're a def. anomaly!

I was just responding to what u said, ur words were clear, my response was clear, no need to try to read between the lines.

My point is, there are racists in every country, I would generalize by saying the more mixed your country (Canada, US), the less racism there is - the more racist places are the more homogeneous the country (Saudi Arabia, India, hk?) - a generalization certainly
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #50

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post

in my eyes chinese > all

It must be so sad to be you
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: