REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #51
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
if you wanna believe in what is inherently witchcraft, thats fine by me...there's a sucker born every minute. it just seems like you have almost 0 understanding of basic physiology, biology, economics and chemistry

literally 99% of "western" medicine (stupid fucking term btw) is just synthetic compounds derived from naturally occuring substances. for example...tylenol etc

as for the side effects, a medicine is formulated to treat maybe millions of people, all of which have idiosyncratic conditions and physiology. you can have a side effect to literally anything you consume

naturopaths "work" in the sense that they inherently exploit the power of our own minds (via the placebo effect) to "treat" illnesses
I have a pretty good understanding of biology/physiology as that is what I did my undergrad in. A point I was going to make, but you did me a favour and already stated, was the fact that a lot of medicinal drugs are derived from natural sources. So why would you be so skeptical that certain plants/herbs/fungi etc could treat certain ailments without being altered?

From reading comments you made in other posts, you obviously seem totally against alternative treatments.. so is it fair for me to say you do not believe in massage therapy, hot cold treatment, pretty much anything do to with physiotherapy as well? I mean none of those are a pill you take that is prescribed by a doctor, or invasive surgery to fix a problem.

Fact: food allergies exist. Food sensitivities exist.
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,679
Thanked 1,924 Times in 611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I have a pretty good understanding of biology/physiology as that is what I did my undergrad in. A point I was going to make, but you did me a favour and already stated, was the fact that a lot of medicinal drugs are derived from natural sources. So why would you be so skeptical that certain plants/herbs/fungi etc could treat certain ailments without being altered?

From reading comments you made in other posts, you obviously seem totally against alternative treatments.. so is it fair for me to say you do not believe in massage therapy, hot cold treatment, pretty much anything do to with physiotherapy as well? I mean none of those are a pill you take that is prescribed by a doctor, or invasive surgery to fix a problem.

Fact: food allergies exist. Food sensitivities exist.
i'm not skeptical of natural remedies, some work or some don't. its really up to the person to conduct their own independent research. however, alot of natural remedies have little evidence supporting their claims...like traditional chinese medicine for example

i dont know why you call them "alternative" treatments, nor am i against it. some are empirically tested and work (i.e. physio + rehab, massage therapy) whereas others lack
such evidence (for example, ice baths were recently discredited as an effective muscle soreness remedy)

i'm not "against" anything, its just that things that claim to be effective without scientific evidence should be rightfully dismissed as bullshit
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #53
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
i'm not skeptical of natural remedies, some work or some don't. its really up to the person to conduct their own independent research. however, alot of natural remedies have little evidence supporting their claims...like traditional chinese medicine for example

i dont know why you call them "alternative" treatments, nor am i against it. some are empirically tested and work (i.e. physio + rehab, massage therapy) whereas others lack
such evidence (for example, ice baths were recently discredited as an effective muscle soreness remedy)

i'm not "against" anything, its just that things that claim to be effective without scientific evidence should be rightfully dismissed as bullshit
fair enough.

as for ice baths. a lot of people always mistaken or interchange DOMS with lactic acid buildup. I have even read that some people believe that DOMS is due to lactic acid. DOMS is from micro tears, whereas lactic acid is a by product of Glycolysis. Ice baths are good for lactic acid as it constricts the muscles/vessels and aids in flushing the muscles of lactic acid. It does nothing for DOMS.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #54
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
yogenfruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 881
Thanked 448 Times in 155 Posts
One thing I've noticed that helps a lot is to have someone to work out with. On those days where you feel like you could skip, they're there to motivate you. Take it from my personal experience this summer; gym about 3-4 times a week, but I easily find myself skipping days after work lately. I keep encouraging my friends to get passes, but they keep finding excuses not to.

It sucks. I find myself getting lazy at the gym sometimes too; doing lighter weights than usual, or doing shitty sets, skipping my core routine, etc. Having that extra motivation to work hard (aside from eye candy at the gym) is a huge bonus.
__________________
PSN: gThorpe92
Quote:
Obviously, you're suffering wankers cramp.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS
 
melloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #604
Posts: 2,253
Thanked 2,439 Times in 806 Posts
^^ You just have to realize that no one else can MAKE you do anything. Your still going because you want to. You, yourself, are your biggest motivator.

By being fit, I've just been doing alot of supersets to increase cardio, making sure I get a solid core workout everyday (or every time) I go to the gym. And try to run once or twice a week for increased cardio.

Diets a big factor, but I'm not there just yet.
__________________
Quote:
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #56
WOAH...shut the music off...
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,796
Thanked 4,706 Times in 1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
^^ You just have to realize that no one else can MAKE you do anything. Your still going because you want to. You, yourself, are your biggest motivator.
i beg to differ

__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #57
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
guurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,553
Thanked 539 Times in 300 Posts
as a girl, 5'5 i used to be almost 200 pounds in high school. i was very athletic and competitive in sports (used to play club basketball and volleyball) but had poor diet
back then i didnt care what people thought of me, as long as i was enjoying what i was doing.. but grad year came along i wanted to look good in my grad dress(and in general), and wanted to change up my lifestyle so i started getting really active and eat healthy.

went down to 155 within two months of hard core training and healthy eating. one our of cardio and 20 minutes of toning every day woopeee

two years later i kind of gained around 10 from all the partying and because i got lazy, but now im back at it, lost 20 in the last two months and on my way down to 130! then off to reward myself with a back piece lol !!
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net