REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #51
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Choice of action upon entering this thread

[ ] Fail the OP and leave
[ ] Leave an epic .gif
[X] Feed the troll
If you have read through some of his posts, you would know that he's a very serious guy in all topics that he engages in, and does not come off as a troll in any way.

Intellectually, I think he's very well advanced in his peer group - sometimes even ahead of some of the idiots on the forum.

But I think he carries a lot of animosity and jealousy towards rich Chinese families (and their children). You can see he frequently links many topics in this area with a generally very hostile tone. A lot of that probably stems from the people around him (assuming he goes to either UBC or SFU) which skews his perception greatly of the roles of parents as well as any perception he may have on money. In some ways I almost find it almost... normal?

Jealousy is a very common emotion, especially when you live in such proximity with those who are well off. It's very easy to think why them, and not me?

I think that's part of growing up in Vancouver: social classes are not so divided, to the point where the rich mingle with the middle class(or even the lower classes). When you are young you don't notice it very much. But when you start entering high school and university you suddenly have friends or people you know that is in a completely different social class with huge displays of wealth. He's having to contemplate "how to find the money for classes" while his friends are probably thinking about which car(s) to buy if they get a passing grade in the next semester.

I hope he learns from everyone's opinion here that while it is difficult and it sucks, it isn't impossible and certainly is extremely admirable for the people that can succeed when coming from nothing.
Advertisement

Last edited by $_$; 05-29-2013 at 06:34 PM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
why on earth should your parents pay for your schooling - maybe you should be concerned by your family's upcoming financial difficulties rather than your own personal problems - what a selfish cunt!
/thread.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #53
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I've thought about this and decided to give you an actual solution instead of calling you a freeloader.

Lower your education standards! Anyone who can't figure out how to pay for school shouldn't go.

Or go to one of those school on top of a mall or inside a basement somewhere the ones that are real cheap
Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #54
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Throughout my university career, there was never a moment that I had less than 3 part time jobs. Worked as a banquet server, washed cars at a dealership and also as a valet. Never held a job for less than a year.

Do not feel that you are entitled to paid education and always work for your own future. The end result will be that much more rewarding. Hell, I saved enough that I took out a student line of credit and bought myself a motorcycle.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #55
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
the feeling you get when you pay off the absolute installment of your student loan is very gratifying.

do they still defer the interest until you are 6months out of school?

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #56
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
It came as a real bolt from the blue. He works for a company that does laundry and dry cleaning for luxury hotels in downtown, but they just lost a big contract and couldn't afford to keep him full-time. He's in the process of collecting EI, the works.

I want to go back to school in September, and Co-Op is a long way off. How can we pay for college in the meantime? I really don't want to take out loans, but if I have to, I have to. My mom works on weekends, if it makes a difference.
LOLOLOLL

hahahahahah..
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #57
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
the feeling you get when you pay off the absolute installment of your student loan is very gratifying.

do they still defer the interest until you are 6months out of school?
Yes they do..they use to limit your deferral to only three 6 month periods in addition to your "free" 6 month period but you can now defer without limit. From what i understand it was because too many people were defaulting on their payment.

They have also now combined provincial and federal loans so you no longer have 2 different payments.

Cant wait to pay mine off! Only 80 months to go
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Choice of action upon entering this thread

[ ] Fail the OP and leave
[ ] Leave an epic .gif
[X] Feed the troll
he's not a troll - an idiot, perhaps, but he's given many good comments over teh last couple of months... shame it's all culminated in this
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #59
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I've thought about this and decided to give you an actual solution instead of calling you a freeloader.

Lower your education standards! Anyone who can't figure out how to pay for school shouldn't go.

Or go to one of those school on top of a mall or inside a basement somewhere the ones that are real cheap
i disagree - work hard, go to the best school you can, try to get scholarships, bu even if you can't, it's not that expensive in the big scheme of things. we are VERY fortunate to have such affordable higher education, why go to kwantlen over UBC (no offense kwantlen) for the savings of $10-20K? $20K is a used car... in the big scheme of things, this is nothing
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #60
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Quote:
i disagree - work hard, go to the best school you can, try to get scholarships, bu even if you can't, it's not that expensive in the big scheme of things. we are VERY fortunate to have such affordable higher education, why go to kwantlen over UBC (no offense kwantlen) for the savings of $10-20K? $20K is a used car... in the big scheme of things, this is nothing
Dude, it's not always about going to the best school. Even though one can find themselves in one of the world's most prestigious schools, it doesn't actually guarantee them to land an extremely prestigious job right off the bat paying 6 figures or more

$20k might not mean much to you, but in the grand scheme of things it means a great deal to some other people which may or may not factor where a person decides to go to school.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who are just as successful in the future even though they went to a college like Langara or Kwantlan... education only means as much as you engage in the material and apply what you're learning outside of a lecture hall setting
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #61
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
I think some of you need to put down your pitchforks and cut the guy some slack. If his family's in a financial bind then I'm sure the money the OP earns from whatever job he's currently working or hoping to get will be used to support his family. Perhaps what the OP was getting at is how he could afford to have money for school if his money's being used to help out the family instead.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #62
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
If you have read through some of his posts, you would know that he's a very serious guy in all topics that he engages in, and does not come off as a troll in any way.

Intellectually, I think he's very well advanced in his peer group - sometimes even ahead of some of the idiots on the forum.
Quote:
he's given many good comments over teh last couple of months... shame it's all culminated in this
exactly that...his responses have been intellectual minus the 'Help me get my first job' thread created on April Fools' Day. Judging by how revscene is so vocal against individuals that are "powered by mommy and daddy" I think he created this thread just to get a rise out of those members.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #63
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
I honestly think the OP should slow down, and re-evaluate his current position.
So OP, your father just lost his job and now there's financial burden paying for college? I think you should break down your problem into manageable sub-goals and analyze the problem in a means-end context with intention to slowly work your way of being able to financially afford to continue with your education

Unable to pay for school? There's a number of ways... the simplest would be to take a student loan from the gov't as many have suggested. I mean there's no harm done and you don't have to pay interest until a certain amount of time after you've finished schooling. I don't see why you've been avoiding to take out loans - there's a reason the gov't has this program in place.

If you're willing to get a job and you feel like you have no time for it, consider having a smaller course load which opens up a lot of time for you to earn some cash on the side to help pay for college/loan or do both. There's nothing wrong with finishing whatever program you want at a slower pace than anybody else

Sometimes you have to do things you don't want - don't think about it just fcking do it
Consider it as a learning experience that challenges your ability to evaluate problems and take reasonable steps to meet your goals
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #64
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
exactly that...his responses have been intellectual minus the 'Help me get my first job' thread created on April Fools' Day. Judging by how revscene is so vocal against individuals that are "powered by mommy and daddy" I think he created this thread just to get a rise out of those members.
OP's issues aside, i found it amusing that some who have failed and posted responses suggesting the OP grow up are those who live at home and are powered by family.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #65
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
. Perhaps what the OP was getting at is how he could afford to have money for school if his money's being used to help out the family instead.
Posted via RS Mobile
A simple answer is, maybe he can't? Sometimes life gets in the way. In this country, higher education isn't a right, its a privilege. Sometimes shit hits the fan, and plans end up changing. Grind it out for a while. Its not like losing a job means permanent unemployment. Man the fuck up for a little while, work your ass off, and maybe school is going to have to start a year or two later. School will always be there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #66
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
OP, don't worry about it.

In case this hasn't already been said,

1. Apply for scholarships.

2. Get the student loan (use it wisely a.k.a. spend it on necessities only) and apply for bursaries. There is nothing wrong with having a student loan, as long as you spend it on your tuition/books and have a plan to pay it back.

3. Get into Co-op. As you probably know, Co-op can help you immensely, both in terms of finances and your career. Depending on your area of study, earnings from Co-op alone may be enough to fund most, if not all, of your degree. Get a loan now, and pay it off in lump sums once you've saved a bit from Co-op, or whatever term jobs you get.

4. Wherever you get your income from, use your money wisely. In your daily spending, cut costs wherever you can, particularly in eating and commuting. But also maintain a balance.

Don't let the fear of incurring student debt deter you from post-secondary education, if that's what you wish to pursue. Schools will not deny you from education if you cannot pay your tuition and other associated fees; financial aid offices are there to address these difficulties. You'll find opportunities to finance your education, whether it's throughout the 4-5 years (part-time work), or in periods (Co-op). Once you're in, you should just focus on determining what your interests are, networking and how to succeed academically.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #67
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I seriously thought this was a joe45 thread at first
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #68
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

I always find it funny when people comment how they paid for school themselves and that they had to work hard but never reveal the fact that they get a free home to stay at, free food, and a car to use. Not saying that the people in this thread are like that, just some others.

Also, when people ask in the Business forum on how to save money, people always suggest to eat at home for free etc, but how is that different than having parents pay for school? Seems like many users feel that if your schooling and car is paid for by parents, then you are a spoiled brat, but housing and food is 'A' ok.

Weird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
I always find it funny when people comment how they paid for school themselves and that they had to work hard but never reveal the fact that they get a free home to stay at, free food, and a car to use. Not saying that the people in this thread are like that, just some others.

Also, when people ask in the Business forum on how to save money, people always suggest to eat at home for free etc, but how is that different than having parents pay for school? Seems like many users feel that if your schooling and car is paid for by parents, then you are a spoiled brat, but housing and food is 'A' ok.

Weird
I think the difference is his parents are down to one part time income and one person collecting EI and all he's worried about is who's going to pay for his school.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #70
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post

Weird
Not me, I moved out when I was 17 and didn't go to college. OG white trash style
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #71
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
parttime job and go school.. its not an uncommon thing...
Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #72
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
OPs not a troll. shocked by this post though.

inb4 his computer was on and his cousin opened RS and posted stupid shit under his username.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #73
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

dont go to school
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #74
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
OP has posted great and knowledgeable posts here on RS.

This post seems out of character..
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #75
I subscribe to Revscene

Havent read thread... but I just wanted to say... too bad you can't counterfeit the piece of graduate paper you'll most like be using to compete with other graduates for a StarBucks job... this way you'd not be $25k in the hole.

If you're interested in using a CNC machine to make tiny homes on trailers to make for cheap and sell for good profits... pm me.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote