REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   **STOLEN FIREARMS** (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684708-%2A%2Astolen-firearms%2A%2A.html)

Nechako87 05-31-2013 02:19 PM

**STOLEN FIREARMS**

Recently (yesterday) my friend got two of his rifles stolen from his house (lower mainland, bc). His wife's jewelery and his wedding ring were also among the items that were stolen. He has reported it to the police, but it would be helpful to have extra eyes looking for these two firearms. I will update this thread when I get more info. For now:

Ruger 10/22 takedown serial# 82141590 The scope was sun optics 3-9x40. Other than that it was stock (black, synthetic)

Thanks!

snails 05-31-2013 02:21 PM

damn Zionists!

:troll:

but for srs... stolen guns.. not cool

murd0c 05-31-2013 02:27 PM

that's why you should always have a gun safe for all your weapons. If you don't have one Costco always has them for a decent price.

stewie 05-31-2013 02:35 PM

Check canadiangunnutz.com in the for sale section, see if anything pops up?

I doubt he'd be able to sell them to a gun store...most he can do is sell it online or to some shady wannabe g thug...even then he'll need a license to buy the ammunition...
Posted via RS Mobile

Lomac 05-31-2013 05:35 PM

:rukidding:

Please tell me they were locked up and the thieves had to break into said safe in order to take em...

T4RAWR 05-31-2013 05:39 PM

will keep an eye out

T4RAWR 05-31-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8250277)
that's why you should always have a gun safe for all your weapons. If you don't have one Costco always has them for a decent price.

gun safes are only at select costco locations. i've only seen them at the cloverdale/south surrey costco, never in richmond.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8250365)

Please tell me they were locked up and the thieves had to break into said safe in order to take em...

sometimes people buy the cheaper and more readily available stack on gun safes from canadian tire. they're pretty flimsy and easy to break into.

2damaxmr2 05-31-2013 06:25 PM

You can easily bypass any safe with a little bit of training.

El Bastardo 05-31-2013 07:50 PM

Oh shit, forgot to tell you. Tweeted this in the morning. I hope you get your stuff back

ynot-llat 05-31-2013 08:36 PM

You have the ruger listed what is the other rifle?
Posted via RS Mobile

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-01-2013 11:54 AM

gun "safes" are usually crummy plastic boxes with a lock on it. you can easily just jack the whole "safe" or pry open the box and avoid the lock lol.

T4RAWR 06-01-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8250784)
gun "safes" are usually crummy plastic boxes with a lock on it. you can easily just jack the whole "safe" or pry open the box and avoid the lock lol.

there are some well made steel safes by companies like sentry which are quite nice, the only issue is that these safes often cost alot of money. sometimes the cost of a safe is the cost of a nice rifle or shotgun so it becomes hard to decide what to buy at the start.

i store my guns trigger locked and the bolt removed and stored separately. magazines removed and stored separately as well if possible. for long term storage i'll usually disassemble the entire bolt and give everything a nice coating of g96 or ballistol.

if they do "crack" the safe they'll be hard pressed to sell guns with missing firing pins, magazines and bolts.

a good safe is important to have but it might also be a good idea to remove the bolts for storage (although i know alot of gun owners will disagree with me on this).

:toot:

Stormspirit 06-01-2013 09:06 PM

i thought guns were banned in canada, wtf

CRS 06-01-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormspirit (Post 8251068)

EuterVanWasser 06-01-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8250813)
i store my guns trigger locked and the bolt removed and stored separately. magazines removed and stored separately as well if possible. for long term storage i'll usually disassemble the entire bolt and give everything a nice coating of g96 or ballistol.

I do pretty much the same thing. My rifles are in my safe with trigger locks on each one, and the bolts removed and stored separately. I do keep my magazines and ammo stored in the safe though.

Recon604 06-01-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormspirit (Post 8251068)

well no one can just buy a gun in canada, u need a firearm license first

!oHenry 06-02-2013 10:21 AM

I hope you get them back. If your looking for a gun case, costco has some nice ones sometimes.

604STIG 06-03-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8250385)
gun safes are only at select costco locations. i've only seen them at the cloverdale/south surrey costco, never in richmond

Burnaby locations have them and for a great price. Not the thin tin type like the ones seen at Cambodian Tire either, these are pretty solid units.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-03-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8250813)
sometimes the cost of a safe is the cost of a nice rifle or shotgun so it becomes hard to decide what to buy at the start.

i duno man. i think that's an easy choice....

Im willing to bet like... 95%+ of the people out there would rather have a gun that is "improperly" stored, vs an expensive safe, with no guns.

the risk is worth it. chances are nothing will happen.

i dont know anyone that bought a safe first. The only people that i know have safes are ppl that have collected enough guns that its easier just to put the all in one safe, than individual crappy "boxes"

Manic! 06-03-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !oHenry (Post 8251300)
I hope you get them back. If your looking for a gun case, costco has some nice ones sometimes.

Costco.ca also has them.

RRxtar 06-03-2013 04:04 PM

for the purpose of informing this thread, firearms do not need to be store in a safe and probably 98% of firearms are not stored in a safe.

T4RAWR 06-03-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8252091)
i duno man. i think that's an easy choice....

Im willing to bet like... 95%+ of the people out there would rather have a gun that is "improperly" stored, vs an expensive safe, with no guns.

the risk is worth it. chances are nothing will happen.

i dont know anyone that bought a safe first. The only people that i know have safes are ppl that have collected enough guns that its easier just to put the all in one safe, than individual crappy "boxes"

Yep, i know. When the cost of a safe can get you an 870 or a 590 or a nice .30-30 marlin its hard to justify buying a safe especially when you're starting out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8252187)
for the purpose of informing this thread, firearms do not need to be store in a safe and probably 98% of firearms are not stored in a safe.

to clarify, you do not need a safe for storing NON-restricted firearms. for a non-restricted firearm being stored in your home the only requirement is that the firearm be made inoperable (i.e. so it cant shoot). this can be achieved using a trigger lock, cable lock through the action or simply removing the bolt.

with restricted firearms it is required that a locking device be placed on the firearm (trigger or cable) AND be locked in a locking cabinet, container or in a room that is difficult to break into.

Alternatively, you can store restricted firearms in a vault, safe or room that is specifically made to store firearms.

here is the link to the RCMP fact sheet on firearms: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm (for those of you who don't have guns yet and are interested in getting them)

DragonChi 06-03-2013 05:39 PM

^ At least, if it was properly stored, it would have a trigger lock on it.

Hondaracer 06-03-2013 05:52 PM

None of those things are any upsides in thefts lol

You can keep handguns fully assembled with a trigger lock in a locked hand held box. You could steal the box and have the gun operable in 5 minutes with some tools. All the storage laws etc are essentially to keep the home it's being stored in safe not to prevent theft
Posted via RS Mobile

T4RAWR 06-03-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8252249)
^ At least, if it was properly stored, it would have a trigger lock on it.

im guessing OP's friend atleast had a trigger lock on the rifle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8252258)
None of those things are any upsides in thefts lol

You can keep handguns fully assembled with a trigger lock in a locked hand held box. You could steal the box and have the gun operable in 5 minutes with some tools. All the storage laws etc are essentially to keep the home it's being stored in safe not to prevent theft
Posted via RS Mobile

nothing will prevent theft really unless you have a vault bolted to the floor that had the house built around it. or one so well built and heavy that it would take thieves hours to break into or not be able to move due to the shear weight.

safes, trigger locks and what not do act as deterrents though. nothing will ever prevent gun theft but as responsible gun owners we should do as much as we reasonably can to prevent thefts from occurring.