REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
It's New Bridge Time (again)!!!

TransLink has finally put together 25 options for the crossing, 6 of which they are seriously considering.

Ideas range from total replacement to tunnel to removing the bridge entirely and creating another crossing closer to the Port Mann.

Ideals will be heard and decided on next year, then a budget will be created, and hopefully ground will be broken some time in 2016-ish?

Oh, and ALL options are to be tolled. Yay.

Surrey Leader - Pattullo Bridge replacement options all come with tolls

Pattullo Bridge replacement options rolled out by TransLink - British Columbia - CBC News

You can give your feedback (again) and find out information about upcoming open houses, etc at pattullobridgereview.com

ALSO: Please keep the "fuck surrey" bullshit out of the thread...we get it, you don't like Surrey...we don't need to read about it anymore.
Advertisement

Last edited by dinosaur; 06-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with driving over that bridge?

The thing that annoys me is this:
Quote:
An eight-lane option was ruled out as attracting too much traffic and running counter to goals to move more people by cycling, walking and transit.

The five- and six-lane options may spur more auto-oriented development than four lanes, it said.
I can understand the need for "going green" and trying to convince people to use mass transit/be active, but if they're going to spend $1 Billion on a new bridge, it had better be capable of handling the amount of traffic that will use it in 30 years. To think that traffic is going to substantially drop, especially around Surrey (which is BC's fastest growing city), is inane.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Bit of further info...

You may be thinking...25 different options? That seems...excessive.

Last time Translink came out and said its time to talk Patullo, their thing basically went, "new 6 lane to the left, or new 6 lane to the right(of the old bridge). Go!"

That's what they asked people for feedback on. So all the people in the condos to the right, said left, and all the people that lived left said they wanted it to the right. Everyone else that wasn't a self serving asshole said those were some damned shitty choices.

So now they came back with everything but floating bridge, and sky bridge(we already kind of have one of those).

Tolls suck.

I still feel that they should be put on all regional bridges and just pool our resources on it. Yes, you had one of the last free bridges North Van...so suck it.

I don't think the new bridge should be 6 lanes. New West dies with 6 lanes.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with driving over that bridge?
I drive it all the time, to a very conveniently located Home Depot in b.e.autiful surrey.

I have yet to kill kittens, hit a car, or push a cyclist into the river.

Don't drive like a douche, and if you are behind a truck...fucking stay there...I see you there dude, you do not look that important, you are NOT in THAT much of a hurry.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Why should people in Surrey have to pay to leave Surrey? I know the bridge needs to be replaced, but this is the one that probably should have been done instead of the port mann.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingMetro92 View Post
Why should people in Surrey have to pay to leave Surrey? I know the bridge needs to be replaced, but this is the one that probably should have been done instead of the port mann.
I'd pay to leave Surrey.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

A safer bridge would be nice...on the news they said the current bridge "would not last in a moderate seismic event" which, lets face it, is a concern.

As for an 8 lane mega-mind-fuck-bridge....no way. Two to three lanes each way is good...yes, there is some back-up during rush hour, but nothing worth noting.

The option to rehab it is interesting....I'd like to see a ground-up rehab and widening. Start with the pilings and work all the way up...widen the lanes slightly and a concrete barrier down the center. My question...is they go with the rehab option...can\should they be able to toll it?

I think the center barrier is a necessary thing...we have seen a dramatic decrease in head-on collisions since they have started closing the middle lanes at night and since people realized it can be a dangerous bridge.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
I'd pay to leave Surrey.

Do we really need another thread like this?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
I'd pay to leave Surrey.
These Surrey jokes really need to stop. Unless you live in Surrey, then you haven't dealt with the shitshow that is the Patullo during rush hour. Citizens should have to pay to leave their own city in order to work, especially when it was free for years.

You'd eat $4-6 a day on a toll just to get home? If buses aren't feasible to your workplace, and you make around 15-16 an hour good luck trying to make a living.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
As for an 8 lane mega-mind-fuck-bridge....no way. Two to three lanes each way is good...yes, there is some back-up during rush hour, but nothing worth noting.

Royal Avenue is a re-donc-ulous clusterfuck in the afternoon. Lined up from the bridge, to stewardson. Up McBride to Mcyaks.

I mean, it could be worse. It flows nicely out of Surrey.

I guess those people just don't want to leave.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
ALSO: Please keep the "fuck surrey" bullshit out of the thread...we get it, you don't like Surrey...we don't need to read about it anymore.

Fuck Tolls.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingMetro92 View Post
These Surrey jokes really need to stop. Unless you live in Surrey, then you haven't dealt with the shitshow that is the Patullo during rush hour. Citizens should have to pay to leave their own city in order to work, especially when it was free for years.

You'd eat $4-6 a day on a toll just to get home? If buses aren't feasible to your workplace, and you make around 15-16 an hour good luck trying to make a living.
I'm a significant supporter of bridge tolls, and, like Gridlock, believe they should be placed on all our local bridges (over xxx length).

I am, however, concerned about the impact on low and medium income earners who must travel across bridges. I think the solution is a pro-rated system, like MSP.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm a significant supporter of bridge tolls, and, like Gridlock, believe they should be placed on all our local bridges (over xxx length).

I am, however, concerned about the impact on low and medium income earners who must travel across bridges. I think the solution is a pro-rated system, like MSP.
Oh mindbomber. Sweet sweet bends so left its right again mindbomber.

I am literally holding my head in my hand, in a facepalm.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Fuck New West.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

Dude man, how would that ever work??? Will it be based on how much your car is worth? Do you need to submit a pay stub at the toll office?

You cray cray (with love).
Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
I'd say we build a highway along the waterfront of New west so Queensborugh can connect to highway 1 without any lights.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #17

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
honestly, i'm surprised accidents dont happen on this bridge more often.

even drivers who try to play it safe while on that bridge are a danger to other people. too many times have i seen people straying away from their lanes without even knowing. especially when heading into surrey, as the bridge curves near the end, people just can't stay in their fucking lanes. this bridge was just not meant for 4 lanes
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,576 Times in 4,294 Posts
I'm loosing $1500 a year because I live in Surrey and I find it very frustrating. I think every bridge should be tolled but have it a small amount $.50 then they would get overall more more money and it would be more fair since everyone does use the roads. How is targeting one ground of people fair since most of the time they are taking those routes to go to work which is helping this BC economy grow.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
I'd say we build a highway along the waterfront of New west so Queensborugh can connect to highway 1 without any lights.
It would be nice to have a proper Hwy 99/91 to Hwy 1 connector with minimal lights, but there's no property available to create something like that anymore. It would literally cost hundreds of millions to buy up enough property in order to do it and that would be before a single shovel is used to start construction.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Fuck New West.
New west has to be the most depressing area of vancouver.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm loosing $1500 a year because I live in Surrey and I find it very frustrating. I think every bridge should be tolled but have it a small amount $.50 then they would get overall more more money and it would be more fair since everyone does use the roads. How is targeting one ground of people fair since most of the time they are taking those routes to go to work which is helping this BC economy grow.
How are you losing 1500? Its your choice to live there.
Posted via RS Mobile
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think that's why there is the Sapperton option.. the industrial area there is contaminated (that's why the Playland move was abandoned). The Braid street bridge has to be replaced anyways.. and it is mid way between Coq and New West so the two cities doesn't really need to fight about it and it connects to the South Perimeter Road to the south and HighWay 1 to the north..

the only problem is it is probably the most expensive option in terms of building because basically the whole cross is a swamp.

As for tolling, honestly payasyougo via OBD is the best way to do it.

Quote:
It would be nice to have a proper Hwy 99/91 to Hwy 1 connector with minimal lights, but there's no property available to create something like that anymore. It would literally cost hundreds of millions to buy up enough property in order to do it and that would be before a single shovel is used to start construction.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
How are you losing 1500? Its your choice to live there.
Posted via RS Mobile
Try working in a trades job, a trucking company or any other position that requires you to drive around the Lower Mainland for a living and then say that.

Otherwise shut up.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #24
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
For the really lazy but want to know the options.

The only 8 lane option is if they replace the bridge at the same location.. the rest are 4-6 lane options.

Go to Page 13,14,15 of this PDF http://www.pattullobridgereview.ca/w...-June-2013.pdf

Personally I prefer the Sapperton Bar / Coquitlam option.. since it will relieve New West Front Street traffic a bit too because of the direct connection to Highway 1 and South Fraser Perimeter.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Ummm... you mean like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote