REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Allergies (Hayfever) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684924-allergies-hayfever.html)

Recon604 06-05-2013 11:41 PM

Allergies (Hayfever)

Just a few days ago, my allergies are back again for this year. I think im allergic to the grass pollen everytime around this time. It gets worse when its sunny and hot.

During the night, I have trouble sleeping due to having a runny nose, sore throat and stuffy sinus.

Just wonderin who else got it and what do you recommend taking if you do take any allergy meds.

pinn3r 06-06-2013 12:35 AM

i also have some pretty severe allergies, especially during the beginning of spring to mid-summer
hayfever + the heat makes you want to give up on life

i take Claritin's 24-hr 10mg loratadine tablets every morning, and it helps a lot actually. for me, that is
apparently they're more effective when taken on a schedule

aznkev03 06-06-2013 01:07 AM

I actually had tried Claritin for years and found Reactine to be far more effective, but only take it when absolutely necessary because apparently you can become immune to the medication.

From talking to family and friends, not every pill will work the same for anyone. One person even said he must change brands from year to year. I guess you just have to pick one and try it to see what works for you.
Posted via RS Mobile

TOPEC 06-06-2013 01:18 AM

ive used claritin for years, when i first starting using claritin it worked well, but now not so anymore, so last year i switched to reactin and it seems to be more better than claritin, not sure if its cus im used to claritin or just reactin is better

DragonChi 06-06-2013 01:43 AM

saline nasal wash before you goto bed.

Recon604 06-06-2013 06:52 AM

u guys take the pills before bed too?

finbar 06-06-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8254353)

This works well for me too.

A HEPA room air cleaner helps.
On the occasional really bad day I wear a half face respirator with a HEPA/charcoal filter.
This gets you some funny looks at the bank.

GLOW 06-06-2013 09:29 AM

used to use claritin as well....now using tough actin' reactin

bbcbrbe 06-06-2013 09:32 AM

2 days ago my allergies were a shit storm....but i think that was the peak cuz im not sneezing 10000x anymore and i havent popped a pill yet :)

Brianrietta 06-06-2013 10:27 AM

It's the cottonwood that is destroying me currently. In previous years Allegra D was able to lessen it but it's doing approximately nothing right now.

sonick 06-06-2013 01:41 PM

Mine just started mildly earlier this week too, nothing before that at all. Anybody know what specific pollen comes at this time?

Kidnapman 06-06-2013 01:59 PM

shiiiet, mines comes and goes. At first it was only when it was cloudy where my alergies kicks in. But recently it's been super random. Writing an exam with a runny+plugged nose sucks ballz. So I started taking alergy pills ONLY when I have an exam, cause last year when I took pills everyday the effects slowly wore off, eventually being close to useless taking those pills.

Recon604 06-06-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8254647)
Mine just started mildly earlier this week too, nothing before that at all. Anybody know what specific pollen comes at this time?

same i think its grass

just bought an air purifier that has hepa filters w/ carbon filter. most of them are on sale @ london drugs

dinosaur 06-06-2013 02:58 PM

aerius pill and omnaris nose spray every night.

fliptuner 06-08-2013 02:39 PM

Different meds every year for me. What works one year, might not work the next. Unfortunately, you have to load up for up to a week to see if it works.

Luckily, Allegra worked for me, right off the bat this year.

Benadryl usually works but knocks me the fuck out.

As far as taking meds before you go to sleep, I say yes, use the same brand but NOT the non-drowsy variant (since it has stimulants that might make it harder to fall asleep). This way you can overlap when you wake up and not wait for the meds to kick in.

Good luck finding the right one.

Oh btw, since antihistamines can be pricey, keep an eye out for generic/store brand equivalents - just check to make sure the ingredients are the same. Last bottle of "Benedryl" I got was by Kirkland (Costco), 600 pills for $6.

dvdjels 06-09-2013 02:28 PM

Any suggestions on year round allergies? I seem to just get them for everything. I would on and off. On some days, I would have really bad symptoms. On another day, same weather conditions and what not, I would be totally fine.

Purely 06-09-2013 02:35 PM

Using Reactine right now.. and it's not working for me. Allergies have been really bad this week. I got an actual fever the other night and started shivering..

jbsali 06-09-2013 11:09 PM

I used to take basic meds and prescription nose sprays and nothing really did the trick. I'm allergic to every kind of plant, grass, dogs, cats, dust, etc. I decided to see my family doctor about it and he recommended a kenalog shot called Triamcinolone.

It was the best 16 dollars I ever spent in my life! No joke! I wish that i knew about this stuff 15 years ago! It's a shot that lasts about 3 months and takes approx 24-48 hours to fully kick in.

I'm highly allergic to cats and decided to put the shot to the test. Took a trip to my aunt's house and just the smell of her home (with cats) sets me off. I literally rubbed the cat on my arms and face and NOTHING!

WOULD RECOMMEND IN A SECOND

Alby 06-09-2013 11:18 PM

been having hayfever since in my early twenties and they come back yearly around april/may. i take reactine when it gets bad and i pop them in the morning. i have a humidifier in my room which helps a bit and also keep your living area clean.

i've been meaning to buy an air filter device and been eyeing the oreck. anyone have any experience with these?

pinn3r 06-09-2013 11:50 PM

yea same thing's been going on with me. some days it'd be intense; other days i'd be fine
i have an Ionic Pro air purifier from Costco and it helps, but it staaaanks up my room

dvdjels 06-11-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbsali (Post 8257200)
I used to take basic meds and prescription nose sprays and nothing really did the trick. I'm allergic to every kind of plant, grass, dogs, cats, dust, etc. I decided to see my family doctor about it and he recommended a kenalog shot called Triamcinolone.

It was the best 16 dollars I ever spent in my life! No joke! I wish that i knew about this stuff 15 years ago! It's a shot that lasts about 3 months and takes approx 24-48 hours to fully kick in.

I'm highly allergic to cats and decided to put the shot to the test. Took a trip to my aunt's house and just the smell of her home (with cats) sets me off. I literally rubbed the cat on my arms and face and NOTHING!

WOULD RECOMMEND IN A SECOND

So does the doc administer the shot on site? Or is there more testing involved? This seems like a pretty magical solution lol

Acura604 06-11-2013 01:38 PM

we need a RS Allergy Meet so we can exchange pills so everyone has 1 of a different type of allergy pill and can test to see if it works lol.

previously I used to get FLONASE which was amazing..but that stuff stopped working for me.. this year, Reactine Extra Strength non-drowsy is working wonders!

Kidnapman 06-11-2013 04:00 PM

lol that would be a funny meet. Everyones nose will be runny as hell and blowing their nose all over the place. Currently using Reactine 12 hr. Takes about a half an hour to and hour to kick in. Might start using nasal spray again cause it's getting crazy intense these days.

radioman 06-11-2013 04:10 PM

I've had the worst 4 days in a row with mine. Fuck it's starting....

Gerbs 06-11-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8254353)

looks painful lol :heckno:

It started sometime this week. now i leave my windows close when i sleep.