REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
America's WORST Charities - we need a list like this for Canada!

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-wor...-charities.pdf

Above the law: America's worst charities - CNN.com

Too much to quote....but wow, these charities are nothing more than a front for profiteering easy cash via donations. Better do your research before you donate....and don't get me started on the Filipino scams lol.

The worst charity in America operates from a metal warehouse behind a gas station in Holiday, Florida.

Every year, Kids Wish Network raises millions of dollars in donations in the name of dying children and their families.

Every year, it spends less than 3 cents on the dollar helping kids.

Most of the rest gets diverted to enrich the charity's operators and the for-profit companies Kids Wish hires to drum up donations.

In the past decade alone, Kids Wish has channeled nearly $110 million donated for sick children to its corporate solicitors. An additional $4.8 million has gone to pay the charity's founder and his own consulting firms.

No charity in the nation has siphoned more money away from the needy over a longer period of time.

But Kids Wish is not an isolated case, a yearlong investigation by the Tampa Bay Times and The Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

Using state and federal records, the Times and CIR identified nearly 6,000 charities that have chosen to pay for-profit companies to raise their donations.

Then reporters took an unprecedented look back to zero in on the 50 worst - based on the money they diverted to boiler room operators and other solicitors over a decade.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Director of RS Cares

Sick. Absolutely sick.

And this is why RS Cares is careful when choosing charities to donate to.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Here is an article (complete with ratings for 100 well known Canadian charity organizations) I've come across before:

The 2012 Charity 100 | MoneySense
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
I'll start the list.

1. Those annoying & pushy ladies trying to take your money for the Philippines. They probably give out 0.1% of their donation money.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
lol check out the website for this 'non-profit'

Cancer Fund of America, Inc. - Cancer Victim Support
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
I don't know the specifics, but it does cost a lot of money to run a company. I am pretty sure the majority of their employees aren't volunteers, and it costs money for advertisements etc. I am not saying that they are spending all their money "properly", but too many people think 100% of what they donate goes straight to the person/people in need.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I don't know the specifics, but it does cost a lot of money to run a company. I am pretty sure the majority of their employees aren't volunteers, and it costs money for advertisements etc. I am not saying that they are spending all their money "properly", but too many people think 100% of what they donate goes straight to the person/people in need.
did you look at the chart in the OP? and compare it to the one Traum posted?

In the list in the OP, the HIGHEST percentage of money that reached the intended target was like 11%. Most were in the 1-5% range.

That means that for them to raise $100, they are spending $99 and of that $100 raised, only $1 actually helps the intended target.

I don't know the specifics but a 1% margin is not a good business model

Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
PRINCESS

Had to write my final term paper on faulty Movember campaigns & pink ribbon

I recall watching a kfc ad where they donate 50 CENTS per 20 DOLLARS "pink" bucket they sold
Lol fucking joke. Same goes for lot of other "proceeds" marketing scams.
It's really sad seeing society's morals going down hill because of $$

Edit: Fyi Pink Ribbon Inc was really interesting to watch

Last edited by MeowMeow; 06-13-2013 at 04:54 PM.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
So, who else scanned the list for Invisible Children?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
did you look at the chart in the OP? and compare it to the one Traum posted?

In the list in the OP, the HIGHEST percentage of money that reached the intended target was like 11%. Most were in the 1-5% range.

That means that for them to raise $100, they are spending $99 and of that $100 raised, only $1 actually helps the intended target.

I don't know the specifics but a 1% margin is not a good business model

it is for the business... not for the actual targets lol
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

And this is why people should not feel bad about saying no to donating to a charity they know nothing about.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
i love how some of the charities give 0%.. lol
Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

What CNN is nationally exposing here is actually a diversion of whats really going on.
Scenes from a documentary on the cancer industry, Cut, Poison, Burn.

The original video went down on Youtube... possible full download
https://www.google.com/search?q=docu...iw=952&bih=644
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
does this apply to safeway woman cancer donations?
cause I donate everytime I get asked.
other than one time I didnt have enough on me.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

The government works to give people cancer... these donation agencies not only pocket your money, but give you the false hope that they are doing something about it. The NWO cant make money from cures and old pensioners.

Here is a general RT report on this matter.
According to the numbers, charities in America have collected over $1 billion within the past decade. From the earthquake in Haiti to Hurricane Katrina, people all over the country have opened their hearts and their wallets to help those in need. But how can you assure that your money gets into the right hands? RT's Meghan Lopez reports on the worst charities in America.
American charities using kids for profits

----

Autism coverups
University of BC Doctors Expose Vaccination Cover-up: Official Documents Released From The UK
University of BC Doctors Expose Vaccination Cover-up: Official Documents Released From The UK | Collective-Evolution
Vaccine Damage Documented on Tape
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j_LsGaxB1ug

------------

Corporate cancer causing foods
Truth about GMOs explained in new animated cartoon

GMO feed turns pig stomachs to mush! Shocking photos reveal severe damage caused by GM soy and corn
GMO feed turns pig stomachs to mush! Shocking photos reveal severe damage caused by GM soy and corn

A very long list.. Im betting many of you reading this have at least one item in your house.
Comprehensive List Of GMO Products
Comprehensive List Of GMO Products | Shift Frequency
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Tom's shoes should be on this list.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
it is for the business... not for the actual targets lol
Exactly - only spending 1% of income on the actual 'product' is a fantastic business model. Especially when you get to spend all that extra money promoting whatever point of view you want people to follow.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
This comment was pretty interesting

Quote:
Shrinking • 3 days ago
I work for one of these professional fundraising companies, and I have reached the conclusion that there is no other way to describe my employer than a as a parasitic entity. Some of the upper management are wizards at attempting to justify our existence, claiming that without us these charities would receive no money at all, but in my opinion if a charity needs to consume that many resources to accomplish their goal - are they really actually a net benefit to society?

I have extensive knowledge of how the process works from top to bottom, essentially we pay charities to "rent" their name for use in fundraising. All we need is a legally registered charity and we then handle the rest of the process - helping them register in all necessary states, assembling and printing literature, everything. In return the charities receive either a flat quarterly or yearly rate, or a percentage of collections - usually between 14-18%, however the contract is always in our favor.

Some of the more unsettling things that I have seen are the incestuous relationships with members of the company and friends of upper management. Charities that are essentially started by people who have a relationship with the company, they then contract the company to perform fundraising, while collecting a management salary from the charity. They fudge numbers as well - vastly exaggerating the value of goods donated, claiming telemarketing campaigns as "outreach programs" that are categorized as "charitable work" to make their administration costs appear lower.

I am currently seeking other employment, but as you might imagine times are tough. I have considered writing a book based on my vast inside knowledge after I have left the company.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Once you meet people who work for various charities, you'll start seeing how inefficiently funds are used.

For example: benefits including unlimited massage therapy for some office worker?

Idiots who go on "work trips" then keep their company cellphones on roaming and use the data for whatever they want and make unnecessary long distance phone calls? This is without a proper travel plan of any sort. So obviously additional fees.

Waste of money.
I will not donate to charities like that.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Our company administers benefits to a few of the major Charities, including one VERY large charity where you might see kids with boxes you put change into (I won't say the charity name, but it's pretty obvious).

Either way, if you saw the salaries these guys within the charity (office staff, and executives) your head would spin. I never donate to charity for that very reason, you're better off giving to the salvation army, or some of those smaller organizations, even the food bank.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Our company administers benefits to a few of the major Charities, including one VERY large charity where you might see kids with boxes you put change into (I won't say the charity name, but it's pretty obvious).

Either way, if you saw the salaries these guys within the charity (office staff, and executives) your head would spin. I never donate to charity for that very reason, you're better off giving to the salvation army, or some of those smaller organizations, even the food bank.
Salvation army is deeply religious---hello! salvation---so some like that aspect, some don't, but people should know. I don't think they particularly like gays that are in need. Straights are coo.

The food bank is actually good. Yeah, you get some people that aren't really in need driving in(first clue) but I think you need to be willing to accept that part, so that you can have an organization that just gives, with no questions asked.

I worked for Greenpeace when I was young(and vastly more left leaning than my conservative self would like to admit) and it was a joke. I got paid $35 a day to go and wonder around the back roads of Nova Scotia collecting money and getting in trouble for not collecting enough. Then got subsequently fired for not collecting enough money.

Assholes.

I'm glad they sank your fucking boat.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote