REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Obesity now officially a disease

Obesity now recognized as a disease - Health - CBC News

Quote:
In order to fight what it described as an "obesity epidemic," the American Medical Association has voted to recognize obesity as a disease and recommended a number of measures to fight it.

The association voted on the measure Tuesday at its annual meeting in Chicago. The AMA noted that obesity rates in the United States have "doubled among adults in the last 20 years and tripled among children in a single generation" and that the World Health Organization, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Internal Revenue Service already recognize the condition as a disease.

According to "F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America's Future 2012," a study released by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation in September last year, adult obesity rates in 2011 exceeded 30 per cent in 12 U.S. states. The study projected that "if rates continue to increase at the current pace, adult obesity rates could exceed 60 per cent in 13 states, and all states could have rates above 44 per cent by 2030."

In 2010, Statistics Canada reported that 19 per cent of males and 21 per cent of females aged 20 to 39 years were classified as obese. By age 60 to 69 years, the percentage was about one-third.

The Canadian Medical Association said Wednesday that while it doesn't officially label obesity a disease, it is recognized in the medical community as such.

"The real question is how we treat it," a spokeswoman said in an email to CBC News. "This is why we need to transform our system for better management of chronic conditions."

The CMA suggested physicians and other health professionals work with their patients to reduce obesity through education, proper nutrition and regular exercise.

Obesity is associated with a variety of diseases, including Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and some cancers.

The AMA's recommendations accompanying the vote included urging physicians and insurance companies to "recognize obesity as a complex disorder," encouraging national efforts to educate the public "about the health risks of being overweight and obese."

The AMA also recommended the creation of National Obesity Awareness Month to highlight the benefits of exercise and to warn about the risks of obesity.
Hope it doesn't happen here, you can say bye bye to the medical system
Advertisement

Last edited by Graeme S; 06-20-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Edited to add article text
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
First-world problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
It's always been a disease as far as I'm concerned.
Posted via RS Mobile
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
It really is and especially in the states. I think it's a very smart move and hopefully it will help some people get help with it.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i hate the fact that they call it a disease... now people have an excuse and will blame it on the "disease" rather than their poor health and lifestyle choices!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I see this as they're trying to scare overweight kids. Think about it. Grade 3, you're overweight and thus the world says you've got a disease. O SHIT, then u get the courage to get buff and get all the LGs. Great tactic.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
i hate the fact that they call it a disease... now people have an excuse and will blame it on the "disease" rather than their poor health and lifestyle choices!
Agreed.

Being obese is not a disease. It is a life choice that people choose. Whether they have other disabilities that hinder a healthy lifestyle, or they are just flat out lazy, I don't consider it a disease.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
I think there's only a small percentage of people who are obese, based on genetics.

Proof, look at pictures from pre-1950.

Whether they choose to call it a disease or not, the problem remains the same.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Choosing to sit around and eat everything is not a disease, obesity stems from taking advantage of the negative convenience that comes with modern society. If we still had to chop down trees for houses and hunt animals on our own to survive, obesity would be almost non existant, because it is not a disease.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
lol at calling obesity a disease. Now fat people can use this excuse. "I can't help that I'm fat, I have a disease"
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
lol at calling obesity a disease. Now fat people can use this excuse. "I can't help that I'm fat, I have a disease"
Saw it on the news yesterday and thought the exact same thing.
Gazorcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
it's a disease of the mind, which leads to the disease of the body.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Choosing to sit around and eat everything is not a disease, obesity stems from taking advantage of the negative convenience that comes with modern society. If we still had to chop down trees for houses and hunt animals on our own to survive, obesity would be almost non existant, because it is not a disease.
Was going to make this point

It's more of a social problem than it is a personal choice especially in backwards places in the states etc where people have shit jobs no money and 5 kids it's cheaper to eat at McDonald's every night than it is to buy chicken breasts and vegetables
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I don't really care what you call it.

You want to label it a disease? Label it a disease. I don't really get it when they call addiction a disease either. I mean, I'm assuming that's where this is coming from...an addiction to bad food.

I'm just more interested in seeing something that can be done to stop or prevent it. You can say its lifestyle, you can say its choices...whatever. My main concern is kids that are coming up in this thinking that its normal not to eat broccoli.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Our food has certainly changed in the last 50 - 60 years and we are probably only now seeing how that food has an effect on our bodies. Since the introduction of HFCS in the 70s that stuff has been introduced to everything. While it MAY share some of the blame, folks need to take personal responsibility for their behaviors.

Obesity is a disease in the same way that addiction is a disease. A self control problem with a lack of willingness to change their behavior.

Gaining weight is easy and terrible food tastes so good. Looking good is hard work so I'm not surprised that some folks wanted to see "obesity" added to the DSM. I think its inappropriate and an easily avoidable "disease".

Don't want the HIV? Don't lay down with prostitutes. Don't want the jumbo ass? Put down the fried chicken.

Pot calling kettle black? No. Just a perspective from someone who hasn't always been a big man and won't always be one.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Personally I think the majority of obesity problems are caused solely by not exercising and unhealthy meal choices. Hell, I eat like crap all the time and I'm still in relatively good shape (not overweight, decent blood pressure/cholestoral levels, etc) because I keep myself active. However, I do accept the fact that there genuinely are some people out there with other diseases that cause obesity.

I'm curious what sort of treatment they'll start using now that it's considered a "disease..."
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
I subscribe to Revscene

The system subsidizes unhealthy food which will reach the poor and lower classes, specially the ones on food stamps... and in turn will result in the pooling of the families monies to temporarily save them from health complications and further bankrupt assets/inheritance. These condition also feed the menial work force, a volunteer soldier force, and the elimination of seniors on the economy.
If we wanted to start with the basics, the flawed food pyramid which encourages too much wheat, meat and dairy should go.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
there will always be people making excuses for their health problems (ie I'm not fat just big-boned or I'm so stressed so I must continue smoking)

most of which should not affect you as an individual...let them live in their lies.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
The system subsidizes unhealthy food which will reach the poor and lower classes, specially the ones on food stamps... and in turn will result in the pooling of the families monies to temporarily save them from health complications and further bankrupt assets/inheritance. These condition also feed the menial work force, a volunteer soldier force, and the elimination of seniors on the economy.
If we wanted to start with the basics, the flawed food pyramid which encourages too much wheat, meat and dairy should go.

I agree with everything in this post
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
I don't get it

Stuff like this reminds of some certain documentaries I watched in the past. Ones such as this.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Was going to make this point

It's more of a social problem than it is a personal choice especially in backwards places in the states etc where people have shit jobs no money and 5 kids it's cheaper to eat at McDonald's every night than it is to buy chicken breasts and vegetables
Posted via RS Mobile
No way, dude. It is was more expensive to eat McDonalds on a daily basis. This isn't a money problem, it is a laziness issue. This is my biggest annoyance.

YES, it is more expensive to eat organic, some exotic fruits, or out of season produce, but you can't tell me feeding 5 kids mcdonalds nightly is a better deal.

Saving money and feeding a family on a budget takes HARD WORK and planning. Pre-cooking meals, freezing food, buying bulk, buy chickens with bone and having to de-bone them, etc.

I grew up on a budget and to save money, my family would can and jar produce to save money. We ate left-overs, never wasted food, and ate basic nutritious dinner and nothing exotic, etc.

I hear people say pop is cheaper than juice (which, lets face it, isn't any better), but do you know what is free? water. If people have problems affording healthy food, try the food bank.

I don't like this issue being labelled as a disease. It removes any ownership in the problem. Also, are people going to start going on disability? Are my tax dollars going to pay for someone to sit home and eat?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I don't like this issue being labelled as a disease. It removes any ownership in the problem.
Nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
These condition also feed the menial work force, a volunteer soldier force, and the elimination of seniors on the economy.
Right, because fat, sweaty dudes make a GREAT fighting force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Oh great, now that obesity is classified as a disease, I wonder what implications regarding diet pills and the FDA regulation around it.

Looks like big money is going the pharm's in the future. Health insurance underwriters are going to have a field day with this.

I guess doctors can now prescribe diet pills to fat people.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Even just genetics there are myriads of reasons, genes need to be activated etc. Also there is the new field of the bacterial flora in one's gut that also plays a role, so antibiotic use which kills all the gut bacteria, tends to cause obesity...

It is not as simple as "just" genetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
I think there's only a small percentage of people who are obese, based on genetics.

Proof, look at pictures from pre-1950.

Whether they choose to call it a disease or not, the problem remains the same.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #25
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
True but the fact remains, if people were more active and ate better, this wouldn't be such a big issue.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote