REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   buying a matress (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685488-buying-matress.html)

m4k4v4li 06-21-2013 04:09 PM

buying a matress

Been sleeping on the same mattress/bed for like the past decade at least

My budget is around 3k. I want to buy a memory foam one because they look pretty sweet. Can anyone advise on good brands? Stores? Tips? There's so much to choose from!

Thanks.

murd0c 06-21-2013 04:28 PM

go to a sleep country ask the questions and try them out. Take your time and don't rush. Most companies will price match so take models down and work a deal cause you can always bargain with the sales person.

BlackV62K2 06-21-2013 04:33 PM

Sleep Like The Dead Is #1 In Sleep Product Research : Unbiased Mattress Reviews, Pillow Ratings and Much More

Was looking for a mattress awhile back too and used that site/along with visits to various places like (Sleep Country etc...) to try out mattresses. I ended up getting Novaform mattress from Costco (memory foam with gel top) for $600. It's a lot cheaper than Tempur-Pedic. I'm really happy with it so far and have been using it for a month. This is coming from a regular spring mattress. With your budget, you can get a tempur though.

Hondaracer 06-21-2013 04:47 PM

As I posted before, buying a bed is one of the biggest scams running in the retail business

Every retailer carries the same brands, yet the models they carry are rebranded for each retailer. So outside of taking pictures and inspecting each individual bed there is virtually no way to price match or even compare

I ended up with a searsopedic which is essentially the sears knock off of the posturepedic

You need to know what type of firmness you want and what type of top

I went with a tight top firm mattress which is essentially as stiff as your gonna get, pillow top and eurotop can be had in firm but will
Always have that later of cusion on them

Mine was supposedly "on sale" which mattress sales are the second part of the scam because the sales price is essentially the regular price year round. I paid $1200 for a king mattress no box spring after trying/laying on about 25 different beds and after sleeping on it for the last 6 months it's the best bed I've ever slept on
Posted via RS Mobile

vitaminG 06-21-2013 04:53 PM

i would think sex on a memory foam would be weird.

murd0c 06-21-2013 05:06 PM

I went direct to the manufacturer the supplies everyone around and ended up picking up a king pocket coil mattress with a latex pillow top wrapped in bamboo for $1000 cash :fuckyea:

So much markup its a joke

murd0c 06-21-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8265623)
i would think sex on a memory foam would be weird.

it's great when shes riding you :D

CharlesInCharge 06-21-2013 06:02 PM

Foam mattresses are toxic!

murd0c 06-21-2013 06:12 PM

I'm pretty proud of my self for being on CiC's ignore list right now... :ilied:

dinosaur 06-21-2013 06:35 PM

sleep country allows you to exchange if you take it home and don't like it after a few nights.

ive always bought my mattresses from them.

stay away from the Brick.

vitaminG 06-21-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8265631)
it's great when shes riding you :D

ya but if a chicks bouncing up and down on top she wont have any springback from the mattress.

then she has to do more work and then she gets tired faster and then you have to get on top and do all the work.

Hondaracer 06-21-2013 06:53 PM

^ so I'm asuming you've never had sex? Lol

Also almost all retailers have a comfort guarantee, the catch is they make you buy mattress cover which typically start at like $45 for a twin
Posted via RS Mobile

Gerbs 06-21-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8265676)
sleep country allows you to exchange if you take it home and don't like it after a few nights.

ive always bought my mattresses from them.

stay away from the Brick.

That means your mattress is used by someone else :heckno:

murd0c 06-21-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8265677)
ya but if a chicks bouncing up and down on top she wont have any springback from the mattress.

then she has to do more work and then she gets tired faster and then you have to get on top and do all the work.

sex is all about switching positions as well ;)

Hondaracer 06-21-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 8265691)

That's why they make you buy a mattress cover..

But yea I magic erased out a drool stain on mine by my head so if you guys end up with my bed if I ever return it you know you got a good one! Lol
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 06-21-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 8265691)

I asked them about that...apparently they become floor models after they are returned or sent to their "factory" store.

And, its not like its a revolving door of returns....they were pretty annoyed that I took them up on their policy. From what I understood, it doesn't happen often.

RS_Pat 06-21-2013 08:30 PM

My wife and I and my parents bought a Plasmabed

Plasmabed

They have a store in Kits, worth checking out at least. My wife and mom have a bad back and this mattress really helped them out. It's super comfortable too.

MG1 06-21-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8265661)
Foam mattresses are toxic!

He's right. Off gassing.

Unless you buy natural foam mattress, which is uber expensive.

Selanne_200 06-21-2013 09:49 PM

Like others have mentioned, it's virtually impossible to price match mattresses since each chain have mattress that no other chains carry even though it's virtually the same. If you are looking for tempur-pedic mattresses, I bought one from the brick for about 2500 and they threw in a free 60in plasma TV. They have one of these tempur promotion every once in a while

flagella 06-21-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8265697)
sex is all about switching positions as well ;)

It's hard to read your sex comment while the black guy in your avatar stares at me.

Eff-1 06-22-2013 03:58 PM

Another thing about buying mattresses is ask the salesperson about the warranty conditions. Mattresses generally come with super long warranties (which is good) but there are a ton of conditions attached to them which many people don't ask about. Most of it has to do with the type of bed frame used. i.e. you need to have a middle leg (queen size or larger), if you have a bed with slats they can be no more than 2 inches apart, etc etc.

sdubfid 06-22-2013 09:59 PM

I bought my mattress used off craigslist in an estate sale. So its quite possible someone died on it. But it was 5% the cost of the exact same model in store.

FerrariEnzo 06-22-2013 11:00 PM

read some reviews and take note of the more popular ones and then go try them out at Sleep Country... dont let the sales guys rush you into buying something that you dont want/need...

I would also suggest buying the water proof spread, incase you are drinking wine in bed and accidentally spill it..

murd0c 06-22-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagella (Post 8265805)
It's hard to read your sex comment while the black guy in your avatar stares at me.

:fuckyea:

dinosaur 06-23-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 8266343)

I would also suggest buying the water proof spread, incase you are drinking wine in bed and accidentally spill it..

or your lady is a squirter....