REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #3626
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I'll say it again. The only scoring depth the Canucks have are the Sedins. The rest are, in effect, 3rd liners.

Shut the twins down and you own the rink.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #3627
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
I'll say it again. The only scoring depth the Canucks have are the Sedins. The rest are, in effect, 3rd liners.

Shut the twins down and you own the rink.
captain obvious to the rescue....

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #3628
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Here's an analogy that I think of when I see the Canucks and the current coach. You have a good chef, albeit with anger management issues, in Gordon Ramsay. -has a good kitchen stocked up with good ingredients and good equipment. The problem is that you have subpar staff that are cooking a shitstorm of undercooked food that people would not eat.

Coach Torts, with his own history of anger management issues, is implementing his own systems with a talented core of players like the Sedins, Kesler, Luongo (good ingredients). However, you have a general manager in Gillis who gives you subpar wingers (the lousy kitchen staff) who cannot produce clutch goals and create sustained offensive pressure in the opposing team's zone.

What is the result? Low goal production from a team that cannot generate high quality scoring chances on a consistent basis.

This is Gillis' fault. He thinks that Booth, Kassian, Higgins, Burrows, etc, can provide the offensive depth needed for this team to win.

The truth is that MG has not added one significant offensive player as a top 6 forward for this season.

Hopefully, Torts can work his coaching magic fast to get Kassian, Booth, and Burrows going. Otherwise, it's up to Gillis, or perhaps a new general manager, to do a proper "reset" of this team.

I envy teams like Washington that can score goals at will against other teams. Their captain Ovechkin steps up his game to score two goals to help his team mount a comeback. Their GM builds a team with a luxury of offensive skill. Although they played a weaksauce team in Calgary, Washington won the game because they have a clutch captain who puts the team on his back and scores goals. -nice to have a team with snipers and offensive D-men like Backstrom, Mike Green, and Grabovski.

Gillis, wake up!
I really envy teams like Washington, too. Teams that can never make it past the second round.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #3629
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,218 Times in 1,611 Posts
^ that's a valid point but we can't even make it past the first round without getting our asses handed to us the last couple of seasons
Spoiler!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #3630
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
^ that's a valid point but we can't even make it past the first round without getting our asses handed to us the last couple of seasons
The Canucks do not have the offensive firepower to win games and give Luongo those two plus goal cushions. Lu has to become a wall for most games.

If this team is losing by 1 goal or 2 goals in a game, which player in our top 6 can score those clutch goals for us?

Everybody knows that it is easier for Torts or any coach to implement a better defensive system and forecheck than increase goal production from his team. You cannot teach players how to score more goals and create scoring chances if they do not have enough skill to make those shots or passes.

Booth can shoot a deer easily but shooting a puck past a goalie is another story.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #3631
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
I really envy teams like Washington, too. Teams that can never make it past the second round.
A SINGLE WIN in the first round would be the first step before even thinking of shitting on teams that get eliminated in the second
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #3632
HELP ME PLS!!!

Wtf happened to kesler? The guy is practically useless now on the offensive end. What happened to his effective wrist shot? skilled deflections? That was his bread and butter a few seasons ago, now he can't do either one of those.

The team also looked slow tonight, always a stepped behind. It also didnt help that we had so many giveaways.

I give it 20 games.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #3633

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
woulda been happier with schneids and kadri
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #3634
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Who do you think would be a good fit on Kesler's wing?

IMO, Parenteau would've been a good pick up in 2012
Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #3635
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
It's safe to say we're in a for a rough and brutal ride with the team we have this season.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #3636

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
1 game in and this thread turns into CDC

How about watching 1/4 of the season first?

Gillis kept the EXACT same core of guys that got outplayed 2 playoffs in a row; Besides getting a new coach and "upgrading" the 4th line why do people expect us to be the 2011 team again lol
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #3637
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

Gillis kept the EXACT same core of guys that got outplayed 2 playoffs in a row; Besides getting a new coach and "upgrading" the 4th line why do people expect us to be the 2011 team again lol
Posted via RS Mobile
I thought the Canucks were going to give the young prospects a chance but instead they sent them all to farm teams. I would've like to see them play until Kassian comes back at least.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #3638

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
I don't see anyone who is shocked at the outcome, just people discussing the game on this here discussion board
Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #3639
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Luu having to stand on his head night in and night out for us to have a chance to win games?.... why does this feel like 2009...
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #3640
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

lol, you tell us to wait and watch 1/4 season first, yet you also admit this is the EXACT same core group from the past 2 season.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #3641
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Kesler isn't a "make other players around him better" type of centreman. He'll do ok as a power forward with a good C that can distribute the puck.

Landing a centre like Ribeiro would've been good.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #3642
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
The Canucks do not have the offensive firepower to win games and give Luongo those two plus goal cushions. Lu has to become a wall for most games.

If this team is losing by 1 goal or 2 goals in a game, which player in our top 6 can score those clutch goals for us?

Everybody knows that it is easier for Torts or any coach to implement a better defensive system and forecheck than increase goal production from his team. You cannot teach players how to score more goals and create scoring chances if they do not have enough skill to make those shots or passes.

Booth can shoot a deer easily but shooting a puck past a goalie is another story.
Posted via RS Mobile
LOL, How quickly your tune has changed. Just a couple of posts ago the Sedins were your answer, now the team is hopeless.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #3643

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
I thought the Canucks were going to give the young prospects a chance but instead they sent them all to farm teams. I would've like to see them play until Kassian comes back at least.
Posted via RS Mobile
I thought they were as well. Instead Gillis trades for 2 career AHLers in Stanton and Dalpe and apparently their our "young guys who got a chance?"

I thought when he said "this team needs a reset" he meant trading core players for better/upgrade players.....not bringing in a new coach and acquiring 4th liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I don't see anyone who is shocked at the outcome, just people discussing the game on this here discussion board
And there's nothing wrong with that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

lol, you tell us to wait and watch 1/4 season first, yet you also admit this is the EXACT same core group from the past 2 season.
Well c'mon. 1 game in and we're writing this team off already??

At least something can happen 1/4 into the season right?

RIGHT?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #3644
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
They'll do fine in the regular season. We finished 8th in the league last year without Kesler and with essentially the same team ... in a shortened season ... where we always get off to a .500 start for the first 10-20 games.

The playoffs are what this team will be judged on and those are 6 months away. Plenty of time to make moves to improve the team.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #3645

OK from now on whenever they lose, we can just say they're saving it for the playoffs

(btw they aren't making it to the playoffs this year)
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #3646
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
haha, as soon as the Canucks went up 1-0, I knew they were going to blow it and lose the game, so I went and put a live bet on the Sharks to win parlayed with a Browns win, woot, Friday drinking money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brownsnucks.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #3647
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Just a random question here, does the nhl do any type of PED testing?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #3648

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
(btw they aren't making it to the playoffs this year)
Wanna bet on that?

I got em 3rd in the division
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #3649
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Lulz, one game, define entire season pool picks.
Posted via RS Mobile
Im playing in the CBC pool, you change picks every week.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #3650

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
I thought they were as well. Instead Gillis trades for 2 career AHLers in Stanton and Dalpe and apparently their our "young guys who got a chance?"

I thought when he said "this team needs a reset" he meant trading core players for better/upgrade players.....not bringing in a new coach and acquiring 4th liners

And there's nothing wrong with that lol

Well c'mon. 1 game in and we're writing this team off already??

At least something can happen 1/4 into the season right?

RIGHT?

Gillis is all talk and lack of substance when it comes to backing up his claim to "reset" the team. Where is the top 6 forward who's going to bring more goals, more offense to this team?

IMO, Aquilini should have done the reset by firing AV and Gillis. Bring in a general manager who actually knows how to build a championship calibre team with offensive depth.

Gillis should have been part of the "reset" by being let go.
Closed Thread