REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #3676
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Wtf Milwaukee out of nowhere
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #3677
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The whole nonis thing is a crock of shit, every team is 4-5 role players away from making a deep run, the job of the GM is to fill those spots with players who effectively slot into those roles

Nonis signing rentals like smolinski, Bulis, etc the plugs of all plugs

Nonis wagered picks that people are crying about not being there on terrible players who didn't get us past the first round, Gillis was the only one to make the push to get passed and even that came down to an overtime game 7 goal..
Posted via RS Mobile
You're right. None of these guys ever made a significant impact on the Canucks roster.

Drafts:
Cory Schneider
Alex Edler
Jannick Hansen

Trades:
Roberto Luongo
Willie Mitchell
Old 10-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #3678
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
wow oh wow. we lost the first out of 82 games and everyones saying to blowup this team. When did RS become CDC?
Posted via RS Mobile
During the Cup run when everyone in Vancouver became an expert hockey analyst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #3679
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
lol you guys are oblivious if you guys think we'll get a team even close to the one we went to the cup finals with...

it was a very very special team
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #3680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
You're right. None of these guys ever made a significant impact on the Canucks roster.

Drafts:
Cory Schneider
Alex Edler
Jannick Hansen

Trades:
Roberto Luongo
Willie Mitchell
gillis: erhoff, torres, samuelsson, sedins re-signed, hamhuis. whats your point? there were people that burke drafted too. almost all teams are like this, chicago was too. its like you guys overlook the biggest thing that happens to the teams in the finals, all their ufa's request large amounts of money or term and teams pass. it then generally takes 2-3 years to replace that depth.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #3681
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
If they go over 7m it's a fucking joke, I know Kessel etc getting 8 but we can't afford sisters at 7+ and if we do were just treading fucking water
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #3682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

Drafts:
Cory Schneider
Alex Edler
Jannick Hansen

Trades:
Roberto Luongo
Willie Mitchell
Show me a GM who's won a cup who DIDNT inherit a core.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #3683
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I agree. Sedins should be signed for less than they are currently making. I feel their best years are behind them. At most, the same amount but if I were GMMG I'd be pushing for less so we could bring in some supporting talent (once the cap goes up).

That's not limited to the Sedins either. Every core player shouldn't expect a raise because there is more cash in the pool. They should all look at this as an opportunity to bring in real players so they can achieve the ultimate goal, lifting the Cup over their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #3684

5-5.5 mil each for 5 years or 4.5-5 mil for 7 years

i have a feeling they want term more than money anyways, wouldn't be surprised if they took another big discount

edit, last week, kypreos said on twitter they could do a shorter term but ask for 7m each, but when is he ever right

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 27 Sep
Sounds like Sedin's willing to go shorter term providing #Canucks in the 7.5m per yr range. 30m for 4 yrs or 37m over 5 yrs is my guess.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ

Last edited by Not really racist!; 10-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #3685
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 40m
Burrows "banged up" but Tortorella banking on him playing tomorrow
Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #3686
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Nick Kypreos is a terrible source.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #3687

again, which is why i mentioned "when is he ever right"

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 10-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #3688

Canucks introduce 'Sedin Corner' - Vancouver Canucks - News
Replacing Lu's Crease Club

Quote:
Vancouver, B.C. – Henrik and Daniel Sedin, along with their families, are pleased to be launching ‘Sedin Corner’ for the 2013.14 season at Rogers Arena. Sedin Corner is a 14-person suite that will host charities and groups from British Columbia that support children’s health and education as well as family wellness.

Daniel and Henrik along with their families have been big supporters of the BC community since their arrival in Vancouver in 1999. Over the years, their support has benefited more than 50 charities, most notably the Canucks For Kids Fund, the Canucks Family Education Centre, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice, the YWCA and BC Children’s Hospital, where they made a $1.5 million donation in 2010.

Quotes

“Our families feel very fortunate to live and work in Vancouver and we want to give something back that would benefit children and families across the province,” said Henrik Sedin. “We are happy to make Sedin Corner available to the incredible people and organizations across BC who are making a difference in the lives of children and families. It’s our way of thanking them for all that they do.”

“We hope that an evening at a Canucks game will be a way for us to convey our thanks to the dedicated people who spend their days doing great work in children’s health and education while supporting families throughout British Columbia,” said Daniel Sedin.

Key Facts

Guests in Sedin Corner receive game tickets, parking passes, in-suite food & beverage courtesy of Aramark Sports & Entertainment, an in-game welcome and Sedin Corner and Vancouver Canucks souvenirs.

Charities and groups that fall within the mandate of the suite were encouraged to apply during the application period in September 2013
More than 70 applications from around British Columbia were received
Applications are currently being reviewed by the Sedin families and all applicants will learn of their status by mid-October
Décor and design of the suite is reflective of a comfortable Swedish home: full of light with wood flooring, simple patterns and clean lines
Sedin Corner is the first executive suite in Rogers Arena to have an extensive infographic artwork piece installed (measuring more than 20’ x 8’)
Swedish meatballs are included in the food & beverage selection for all guests in Sedin Corner

There has been a history of Vancouver Canucks captains offering the suite to deserving individuals, who otherwise might not have an opportunity to ever attend a Vancouver Canucks game:
1995-1998: Trevor Linden: Captain’s Crew & Linden’s Locker Room
2001-2008: Markus Naslund: Nazzy’s Suite
2008-2013: Roberto Luongo: Lui’s Crease Club
2013 – Present: Daniel and Henrik Sedin: Sedin Corner
Gillis Article
Gillis defends record as Canucks? GM - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
DAVID EBNER
Gillis defends record as Canucks’ GM

Mike Gillis feels underappreciated.

The president and general manager of the Vancouver Canucks – starting his sixth season at the helm of the NHL team, a fresh, five-year contract kicking in – looks back at his tenure and sees a stretch of success, and looks at the reviews and sees undue criticism.

Vancouver has never been an easy town to run, or play on, a hockey team – but it’s not the shark-infested fishbowl that is Toronto or Montreal. Gillis says the negative talk doesn’t affect him much any more – yet in an interview this week, to look back and ahead, it is the first thing he brings up.
He starts with coverage over the past 18 months in The Globe and Mail, a period during which the team has been twice swiftly ejected from the playoffs, winning one of nine games.

“I think the insidious creep of negativity is working its way on you,” Gillis said in an interview last Monday. He then went on to say newspaper coverage of his team in general is marked by a “constant thread of negativity.”

Gillis, after years as a big-time player agent, arrived in Vancouver in mid-2008, a surprise and unconventional hire by billionaire owner Francesco Aquilini. Gillis promised a different way of doing things and delivered, with everything from a sleep doctor that has helped significantly bolster the team’s record on the road, to a much broader, and secret, “human performance plan.”

On the ice, Gillis’s biggest decision was to keep the team he inherited intact, even if on arrival he was a critic of the squad. Results followed: Five consecutive division titles, two regular-season titles, and one appearance in the Stanley Cup finals. And even with the playoff stumbles of the past two springs, Vancouver ranks fifth of 30 teams over the past five years in the NHL, in terms of playoff rounds and games played, standing behind Chicago, Boston, Detroit, and Pittsburgh.

“This team has had the best five years in the history of the Canucks,” Gillis said. “Lots of media people in this city don’t bother to take a look around the league. I’d hazard [other teams] would not endure the same criticism that we endure most of the time.”

Beyond the media cacophony, Gillis feels good. He talked about a “reset” after last season ended, one some people took to mean a significant overhaul. “We have to reinvent ourselves,” he said in early May, on the day a reset was declared.

After everything, new head coach John Tortorella accounts for much of the reset, with the core of the players the same as through Gillis’s tenure.

“To change the culture of a place, it requires a change near the top,” the GM said. “We are invigorated by a new staff. Our team is responding to that. I’m really encouraged. I like where we sit. I like our roster. These guys are hungry. We’re looking at this season very optimistically.”

What the critics see, unduly negative, myopic or otherwise, is an aging team. They see a GM whose draft record is mixed and a team that did not add the hoped-for injection of youth. And on the biggest file on Gillis’s desk the past year-plus, they see an outright failure, where the Canucks ended up trading the goaltender the team wanted to keep.

On chatter that the Canucks asked for too much for Roberto Luongo, Gillis called it a “media urban myth,” saying such talk was an effort to “have us accept something less than what we felt was appropriate.” Offers came in but none the team considered right, and eventually decided their best move was to trade Cory Schneider (to the New Jersey Devils).

The captain on the ice knows there is only one way success in the NHL is counted.

“We haven’t won anything,” Henrik Sedin said Tuesday. “We’ve won the regular season, we won the scoring titles, but if you look back at our careers [here], I don’t think you’d read anywhere that we’ve won anything.”

The weight of expectations in Vancouver was quickly obvious to Tortorella.

“All you guys [media] talk about is the Stanley Cup,” the coach said. “Everybody I see on the streets talks about a Stanley Cup. It’s a tremendous challenge and I look forward to the opportunity.”

The team forges forward – and the fans appear to be on board with the latest iteration. Last spring, the Canucks sold out their two home playoff games, but tickets were much more easily available than in the past.

Few tickets are available for the six home games this month. The team has sold out 433 consecutive games going back more than a decade.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #3689
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
The upper hand is always with the GM, since the twins always want to play together forever.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #3690

Gagner loses 4 teeth, gains a steel plate and 6 screws in his jaw, gets it wired shut for 3 days after surgery, loses 10 pounds and is out at least till early November

nothxjeff.......would not want to experience

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #3691

Burrows out "a couple weeks"

:/

This whole fucking shot blocking talk is getting sooooo tiring Uhg..
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #3692
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Maybe Torts will give Shinkaruk a chance to play with the team now that Burrows is injured.

Memo to Torts: Less shot blocking, more high quality scoring chances in the opponent's zone as a result of the aggressive forecheck.
We need more goals!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #3693

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Anyone know how i can get the canucks app theme wallpaper?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #3694

No forward being called up dress a 7th dman
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #3695
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Maybe Torts will give Shinkaruk a chance to play with the team now that Burrows is injured.

Memo to Torts: Less shot blocking, more high quality scoring chances in the opponent's zone as a result of the aggressive forecheck.
We need more goals!
I thought junior players can't be called up after being sent down
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #3696

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
My guess is that Torts will put Hansen to play with the Sedins.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #3697

Kelly hrudey was saying Weise :S
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #3698
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:

We need more goals!
you can't fucking call up junior players after sending them down

do you even NHL?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #3699
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
My guess is that Torts will put Hansen to play with the Sedins.
Posted via RS Mobile
He had David "The Crusader" Booth with them last game.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
you can't fucking call up junior players after sending them down

do you even NHL?

As for Burrows injury, its just unfortunate...his game involves quite a bit of shot blocking and hes usually top 3 on our team every season... he's doing more now but its just one of those things that happen every once in while...like Kesler's shit luck breaking his foot right after returning from injury

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /