REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #6451
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
If I'm in Aquilini's shoes, I would think about what direction he wants his team, his franchise, to go in the next 3 to 5 years in terms of the general manager and management personnel.

If this team doesn't perform to his expectations, especially in the post season, I would say it's time to clean house starting with a new GM.

Now that would be a bold move, and the right move!

Hire a general manager who actually has experience in the NHL as a GM instead of a player agent learning on the job to be a GM.

A GM who has a good track record in terms of drafting players, managing salary cap, trading players if necessary, and a clear vision on how to build a championship contending franchise is what the Canucks really need.
MG has 6 years of experience as an NHL GM ...

What GM do you propose we get that has 10+ years of GM experience, a good track record of drafting players (which falls on the scouting staff, not the GM), managing salary cap (which MG has done an excellent job of), trading, and has a clear vision on how to build a championship-contending franchise (which MG has done)?
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #6452
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
It would be a bold move if MG made that deal depending on what the Canucks get in return.

A legitimate top 6 winger who can score goals is gonna cost much more than Horvat and Shinkaruk. Much more. -would take a roster player, plus a combination of both Horvat and Shinkaruk to land a sniper. Salary cap room also comes into play in terms of how much roomthe Canucks and the other team have available.

Last edited by pastarocket; 11-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #6453
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
It would be a bold move if MG made that deal depending on what the Canucks get in return.

A legitimate top 6 winger who can score goals is gonna cost much more than Horvat and Shinkaruk. Much more. -would take a roster player, plus a combination of both Horvat and Shinkaruk to land a sniper. Salary cap comes into play in terms of the Canucks and other team that would be trading with us.
I can't tell if you want MG to do that, or if you're just telling us that's what constitutes the "bold move" that fans here are demanding.

Any fan with common sense would find that sort of deal just plain stupid. Bo and Hunter are already the best prospects in the system at 18. It would be crazy to offload both in some sort of package for an outside shot at a playoff run (if even). If by some miracle they got to the Cup final and lost, the Canucks would likely be left with a top-heavy roster, and 0 prospects and picks for the foreseeable future.

It would never happen, but you know what would be a bold move? MG getting the team to tank for a shot at Connor McDavid. That would be in line with the crazy deal that people expect MG to make. But of course, the fairweather fans in this city would just push the eject button since "the Canucks suck!" all of a sudden.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #6454

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I can't tell if you want MG to do that, or if you're just telling us that's what constitutes the "bold move" that fans here are demanding.

Any fan with common sense would find that sort of deal just plain stupid. Bo and Hunter are already the best prospects in the system at 18. It would be crazy to offload both in some sort of package for an outside shot at a playoff run (if even). If by some miracle they got to the Cup final and lost, the Canucks would likely be left with a top-heavy roster, and 0 prospects and picks for the foreseeable future.

It would never happen, but you know what would be a bold move? MG getting the team to tank for a shot at Connor McDavid. That would be in line with the crazy deal that people expect MG to make. But of course, the fairweather fans in this city would just push the eject button since "the Canucks suck!" all of a sudden.
Hmmm, I didn't think about the team tanking on purpose in order to get McDavid. I know guys who actually bench their entire team during hockey pools in order to get the first pick, but that would be interesting.

As for the fairweather fans, it's also some of the hardcore fans like me, who supported the team since the early 80s, who are growing impatient with team management. The city, the province, would explode with excitement if the Canucks hoist a Stanley cup.

-many highs and lows, mostly lows, with the history of the Canucks. The low points can get to you.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #6455
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
As for the fairweather fans, it's also some of the hardcore fans like me, who supported the team since the early 80s, who are growing impatient with team management. The city, the province, would explode with excitement if the Canucks hoist a Stanley cup.

-many highs and lows, mostly lows, with the history of the Canucks. The low points can get to you.
The Canucks have been basically failing for 75% of their existence. It's amazing how spoiled and entitled some of the Canucks fanbase have become after this current 10 year run (more skewed towards the latter "MG years"). I'm not sure why it's such a big deal all of a sudden. If I were a betting man, this golden era of Canucks hockey will end without a Cup, and we wait again for the next wave of success (hopefully following the SJ model of bringing up kids with the really old core group).

You don't have to be a hard-core fan to see that the current winning window is closed shut. However, it's what MG does in the near future that decides whether we get another opening in the very near future (by the end of the Sedin contracts), or after another decade.

I don't deny that BC would literally implode if a Cup was won by the Canucks. But why does impatience have to drive the moves that a GM makes? More often than not, that sort of thing will end up with a firing much sooner than the GM anticipated. As much as a cup would be greatly appreciated here in Van, it shouldn't be at the cost of some "bold" deal that sends them back to 1997.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #6456
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
I believe Aquilini is very confident in Gillis. If not, Gillis would've been fired this summer.

Jayare is right, our shitty drafting is catching up to us. Coho, Shroeder...

Plus we don't have a lot of help from the later rounds draft picks. We do have some good signings in Tanev and Lack.

But I think our pool of prospects are pretty good currently.

Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado, Horvat, Shinkaruk.

Actually, kinda excited to see Horvat, for some reason, it reminds me of SJ acquiring Couture.

Sharks traded away their backup is Toskala for Torontos first, then flipped it to get the 9th overall pick from Stl to draft Couture.

We traded our "backup" goalie for the 9th overall pick Horvat.

Both players were scouted for their two way game.

If Horvat is anything close to Couture, I'm a happy guy.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #6457

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Happy if Horvat can play first line minute on the last year of sedins contact

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 11-20-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #6458
My homepage has been set to RS

Eh..
Minor blip. It happens with every team. San Jose was dominating initially, now, they seem normal.

Just a roadblock.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #6459
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #6460
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I haven't really followed but if its just an issue with scoring, then you guys can fix that internally. Call up some prospects, mix lines up, the goals will come. Its only November.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #6461
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
I haven't really followed but if its just an issue with scoring, then you guys can fix that internally. Call up some prospects, mix lines up, the goals will come. Its only November.
We need a top 6 sniper and have no one to call up that will fit that roll
Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #6462

Next year we all should join the canucks cali road trip

The Package Itinerary:
Vancouver – Los Angeles ($1,369)
Airfare from Vancouver to Los Angeles
Airport transfer in Los Angeles
Los Angeles
2 nights accommodation at the Sheraton
Chalk Talk from Canucks Coaching Staff
Private Practice
Meet and Greet with Alumni
Tour of the Staples Centre
Lower Bowl Tickets vs. Kings on January 4
Anaheim – Vancouver
Transfer to Anaheim
1 night accommodation at the Hotel Menage
Lower Bowl Tickets vs. Ducks on January 5
Airfare from Anaheim to Vancouver
Book your package now through Flight Centre. They also have a package departing from Seattle that is $889.00 and Bellingham at $1099.

Maybe we’ll see you on the trip!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #6463

simple solution is to put burrows back with sedins and then just leave kesler as a 2nd line winger
Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #6464
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Next year we all should join the canucks cali road trip

The Package Itinerary:
Vancouver – Los Angeles ($1,369)
Airfare from Vancouver to Los Angeles
Airport transfer in Los Angeles
Los Angeles
2 nights accommodation at the Sheraton
Chalk Talk from Canucks Coaching Staff
Private Practice
Meet and Greet with Alumni
Tour of the Staples Centre
Lower Bowl Tickets vs. Kings on January 4
Anaheim – Vancouver
Transfer to Anaheim
1 night accommodation at the Hotel Menage
Lower Bowl Tickets vs. Ducks on January 5
Airfare from Anaheim to Vancouver
Book your package now through Flight Centre. They also have a package departing from Seattle that is $889.00 and Bellingham at $1099.

Maybe we’ll see you on the trip!
I thought about this..as cool as some of those things are...i wouldn't do so

Simple as this..fly to LA, AirBNB it. Yea, may not be close or in the crowd, but who says i can't hang out afterwards

then go catch a Laker game
and go to disneyland
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #6465
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Where we sit right now, is still a far far cry from the dark Keenan years.

Stanley Cups are won by your 3rd and 4th lines IMO, and the reason the Canucks aren't going to contend this year isn't because they are missing a top 6 sniper, or a top 6 forward in general. Even with that guy in the lineup, our 3rd and 4th lines lack the grit and ability to regularly contribute offensively every now and then
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #6466

going top heavy with the line up works during games if you are behind, but in the long run you need a balanced roster.
sedin-sedin-burrows
mystery man/kassian - santorelli/schroeder - kesler
higgins - santorelli/schoeder - hansen
kassian/weise - richardson - booth

imo, that 2nd line would produce more than it is now, and we all know burrows and the sedins will produce. of course it relies on schroeder coming back, until then richardson moves up and welsh plays 4th line
Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #6467
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
simple solution is to put burrows back with sedins and then just leave kesler as a 2nd line winger
that seems too simple...

also would like having Kesler play 3rd line checking center. take away the expectation for him to score 40g. aside from himself and he, Kesler doesn't play well with anybody. with the twins, he has been ok, just ok--arguably no better than having burrows with the twins though.

have Kesler shut other teams' top guys down night in and night out, he has shown he can do that almost singlehandedly. Yeah, he makes 5M playing 3rd line checking center, but our 2nd line playmaking/playdriving center makes 550K so I'm alright with all of that balancing out. we also have a 4th line winger making over 4M currently, spending time in the press box
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #6468
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
I thought about this..as cool as some of those things are...i wouldn't do so

Simple as this..fly to LA, AirBNB it. Yea, may not be close or in the crowd, but who says i can't hang out afterwards

then go catch a Laker game
and go to disneyland
I did it this year, drove to San Jose, watched the game, went on to LA... problem is couldn't watch the Lakers because the Ducks game was on at the same time...

Great trip minus the 2 crappy losses... interesting to go to all 3 stadiums in a row and see the differences in how they market themselves and whatnot.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #6469
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Sedins Burrows
No second line (missing 3 second liners)
Hansen Kesler Higgins
Kassian Santorelli Plugger

In reality the canucks don't have a legit second line.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #6470
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #6471

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Cammalleri - Stasny - Kesler
Hansen Santorelli Higgins
Kassian Richardson Weise

With the addition on the second line, Im still unsure if we can compete with the western conference grinding our team down.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #6472
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Kassian Richardson Weise

With the addition on the second line, Im still unsure if we can compete with the western conference grinding our team down.
ya bro got 2 second liners $11,000,000
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #6473
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Kassian Richardson Weise

$6.1M - $6.1M - $4.5M
$6.0M - $6.6M - $5.0M
$2.5M - $0.6M - $2.5M
$0.9M - $1.2M - $0.6M

$42.6M on forwards ... Seems legit ...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #6474
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Everyone's opinion about having no one to trade for is correct.
MG dropped the ball in the Luongo/Schneider drama.
You can blame it as bad luck, or he made the right moves (by waiting) at the time, but in the end,
that was his one trump card which explains why he was so careful with it.
Eventually, he made a trade that has nothing to show for.

Even if, for sake of argument, say Horvat becomes the next Toews or something,
it'll happen when he has no one else to play with, after all our current elites are washed up.

I'll try to stay positive and do what I can to cheer for this team... but yeah, I see a pretty tough future.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-20-2013 at 11:23 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #6475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
$6.1M - $6.1M - $4.5M
$6.0M - $6.6M - $5.0M
$2.5M - $0.6M - $2.5M
$0.9M - $1.2M - $0.6M

$42.6M on forwards ... Seems legit ...
im just fantasizing the possibilities, nice to know you guys are quick to join in on the gangbang for fails
Closed Thread