REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
"Mobilize my Brother" meet - July 27th in Chilliwack

Revscene received a message from a member who is putting on a meet to help her brother out. Chris (her brother) has had cerebral palsy since he was born, and with his mother having to lift him manually from their vehicle every day, it is not viable for him to go out very often, especially to attend university as he wishes to do.
She is trying to raise money for a wheelchair-accessible van to make the situation easier on everyone.

There was funding available for him while he was a child for various things, but as an adult with disabilities there just isn't that many options anymore.

They are trying to raise enough money to cover half, at least, of the cost of purchase of a Sienna with ramps, so that he can have a reliable, new vehicle for a long time to come.

Suggested donation is $2 to enter the show as a spectator, and to be able to take part in the activity on site.

Registration for a vehicle is $10, you will receive a wrist band and a placard for your vehicle upon entry to the event.

Registration can be paid in advance via PayPal to toyotasupra97@gmail.com complete with your full name and the year, make, and model of vehicle, OR go to the following website to use the link available:

mobilize

There will be on site BBQ, raffles with quality prizes, and other prizes including trophies to best import, best domestic, and Chris' Choice. Prizes are going to be automotive related.

They are looking to fill 100 spots so get your registration in as soon as possible. This will take place July 27th @ Chilliwack Alliance Church - 8700 Young Rd in Chilliwack between 11am and 4pm

Facebook Public Event Page: http://www.facebook.com/events/396282357156965/

Facebook Cause Page: http://www.facebook.com/MobilizeMyBrother

Event Signup & Donation Page: mobilize
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Authorized by administration. Show your support if you can.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
That's very cool, and she drives an firs? Awesome...
Can we just send donations to that Gmail acct?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,750 Times in 3,867 Posts
Chilliwack is worth the drive! I'll make sure to pencil this in
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
After watching the video, I was going to donate $200. I then went onto her FB page and found out she owns a new BRZ which costed her $28,000 (she said it on FB).. and a few bikes.. I'm not trying to shit on this thread but if she can afford a new car then... w/e. Can anyone confirm if the BRZ is her's??
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
After watching the video, I was going to donate $200. I then went onto her FB page and found out she owns a new BRZ which costed her $28,000 (she said it on FB).. and a few bikes.. I'm not trying to shit on this thread but if she can afford a new car then... w/e. Can anyone confirm if the BRZ is her's??
you do what you can for your loved ones but doesn't mean you stop living your life and dump everything you have for them. this may sound cruel, but thats life.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
you do what you can for your loved ones but doesn't mean you stop living your life and dump everything you have for them. this may sound cruel, but thats life.
Maybe is a cultural thing, my parents tells me to prioritize my spendings. We live in a scarce environment, is either A or B. When I was a kid, my mom gave me $250 lunch money and i spent it on a PS2 then I had to plain congee for a month. My mom said I do have the money but I decide to allocate somewhere else.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking the exact same but didnt want to shit on the thread because ulitmately the goal is to help the brother who obviously isn't getting any help and if we shit on the thread it may take away from him getting help and he shouldn't have to suffer because of them not to say they're evil/careless etc because more than likely there are other factors we dont know about

Quote:
no, no it's not but hey everyones got their own idea on family/love/care

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-28-2013 at 12:57 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
That's very cool, and she drives an firs? Awesome...
Can we just send donations to that Gmail acct?
Yeah. If you do, make sure you say that it a donation and not a registration fee (unless you want to register to put your car in the show).

It wouldn't hurt to let them know you're from Revscene either.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
It's hers.
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
i may get failed for this but,

i have and will without question put my life on complete hold for my family. it may be a cultural thing or whatever, but, family is the most important thing to me and will always be. i'd sell my truck, pick up a second job and sell every single thing in my possession if it meant that a family member of mine could live a little easier or suffer just a tiny bit less.

sacrificing material possessions is such a small price to pay on the grand scale of life. having a brand new car and motorcycles seems relatively frivolous when you're brother has been suffering all his life and all he wants to do is enjoy just a tiny bit of normalcy by attending a post secondary institution, something that the vast majority of us take for granted.

that being said, i think people should still try to contribute to the cause. we're not doing it for her, we're doing it for her brother. lets show our support and help Chris get the wheel chair accessible van so that he can cross atleast one thing off his bucket list.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #12

Shes mentioned that shes not trying to have the entire thing paid for by donations, just offset a portion of it.

Lets not let specific criticisms about what she drives spoil the good intentions of this meet.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
RS Lurker, I don't post!

This is a great cause, and I am stoked to be a part of it.

Regarding the comments about her financial situation, there is an awful lot of specualtion going on. It's probably best not to jump to conclusions about whether or not she should own stuff for herself.

She does an incredible amount of self-sacrificing work for her brother. Yes, she bought an FRS. Yes, she owns a dirtbike. But its not like she walked into the dealership with 30 grand in cash and bought a car. It's obviously financed. If she didn't have a car, she wouldn't be able to get to work and therefore wouldn't have money to help out with this kind of thing. See, out in Chilliwack, we don't have access to transit like many of you do in VanCity. Yeah, she probably could have bought a beater instead of an FRS, but then there's a safety and reliability issue that goes along with that.

Less than 30k for a brand new car with warranty makes a lot of sense to me.

Either way, we are doing this for her brother, not for her. Come on out and show some support.
TurboTarga is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
..and owns a horse and an MR2...and talks about trying to work her way out of a mountain of debt. I don't know..I came into the thread with the intention of making a nice donation after I saw the link on a friends Facebook wall, but now I have a bad feeling about it. Hope for her brothers sake it's legit and he gets what he needs though.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I've met Chris & Sarah. In fact, I have been volunteering my time to help set up this car show so I have more intimate knowledge of the situation than the average person.

I know that there are people out there who would take advantage of a disabled person's situation in order to profit by it. Rest assured that that is not what is happening here.

Sarah has personally forked out some serious cash to secure the venue and pay for insurance, in the hopes that it will help raise awareness (and funds) for her brother. She is receiving exactly zero dollars from this event. ALL proceeds will be going directly to offset the massive financial burden that buying a van will be for her parents.
TurboTarga is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTarga View Post
This is a great cause, and I am stoked to be a part of it.

Regarding the comments about her financial situation, there is an awful lot of specualtion going on. It's probably best not to jump to conclusions about whether or not she should own stuff for herself.

She does an incredible amount of self-sacrificing work for her brother. Yes, she bought an FRS. Yes, she owns a dirtbike. But its not like she walked into the dealership with 30 grand in cash and bought a car. It's obviously financed. If she didn't have a car, she wouldn't be able to get to work and therefore wouldn't have money to help out with this kind of thing. See, out in Chilliwack, we don't have access to transit like many of you do in VanCity. Yeah, she probably could have bought a beater instead of an FRS, but then there's a safety and reliability issue that goes along with that.

Less than 30k for a brand new car with warranty makes a lot of sense to me.

Either way, we are doing this for her brother, not for her. Come on out and show some support.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
RS Lurker, I don't post!

This is the second time I have seen this kind of response from people other than those who know me. I am extremely disappointed in the car community's ability to jump to conclusions and judge a person based on a few photos on Facebook. I don't want to draw attention away from my brother's need, so I guess I will have to give you all my life story to set the record straight. Whether or not you still feel it's a worthy cause is up to you.

I am an automotive apprentice, cars, and bikes, are my life. This is what I have chosen to do. My parents are responsible for my brother. Honestly, they should have been looking into getting him a van years and years ago, but they didn't due to various financial reasons. I am not asking you to feel sorry for me or my parents, but my brother who can't go out for himself and get a job. He isn't a miserable, sit at home and whine about it guy. He is quite happy, actually. This isn't something he has been pining and begging for. It just occurred to me that time is not slowing down, and life has gotten in the way long enough. If I could afford to make the payments on a brand new van for my brother I would. I drove an MR2 for four years, replacing and rebuilding whatever broke, because I couldn't afford better. I started making a bit more money, and yes I bought a new car. An FRS isn't a BMW, it's not expensive, and I WORK there, so I made a decision based on what I needed. I wanted reliable transportation and a vehicle I liked to drive. This doesn't mean I am selfish and ignoring the needs of my brother. He is not directly even my responsibility, my parents are the ones who provide for him. Because my mom can't work though, they are a single income family. If I could fork out money for them every single month, I would. I do what I can for them. I don't even live in the same city as them, so I now have a reliable vehicle I can use to go and visit, and spend time with him. I take him out for drives in it, and he loves that.

Judge me if you will, but there is nothing wrong with what I am doing. My brother is well provided for, happy, and just because my family can't go out and finance a $40000+ vehicle without some help from others doesn't mean that I should somehow pick up the slack. I only make $15/hour. I don't pay rent to my boyfriend, and I don't have children which enables me to have some nicer things. But by no means am I rolling in money, and maybe I am even in a little over my head. I am even selling my MR2, my beloved car that I've put hours and hours of work into, because I can't afford it anymore. I was going to donate a large chunk of that to my brother's cause even though I have a lot of debt. My grandparents bought that horse for me years ago, and I have considered selling him because I can barely afford to keep him, but because they bought him he is very special to me. The bike? My boyfriend is a dirt biker and helped me get it because he wanted us to go together. It was also financed.

Judge me if you will, but my brother deserves this, and I don't think that anybody here can look in the mirror and say yeah, I wouldn't do the same.
pearlwhitemr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Don't take it personally, I think it's reasonable to expect your finances to be scrutinized when asking people for money.

Good for you for doing this though.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Thank you. I realize, too, that people are going to want to know their money is going to a good place. I want everybody to know that I have a joint bank account with my brother, and you can ask him yourself (he is on Facebook as well), that he has a view of all the money too. I am also actively involved with several businesses so this is fairly high profile. I have no intention of letting the money go anywhere except into paying for that van.

If anybody has any more questions, I'd appreciate a personal email or PM and I can hopefully answer them to the best of my ability. I don't want my life to be a reflection of what I am trying to do here. Maybe I should have done this years ago, and maybe I should have waited to have nice things, I am not saying any of you are wrong, but I am trying to do right by my brother and I guess it's taken me a while to grow up. Whatever the reason, I want everybody to know I appreciate all the help you are giving because in the end, he will be the sole benefactor and that is what matters to me.

Thank you.
pearlwhitemr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Sounds like this should be fun!

Hoping to make the trip!
NISMOSPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
I'd like to make it out to this. I hope my new work schedule will allow for me to get there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #22
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Maybe is a cultural thing, my parents tells me to prioritize my spendings. We live in a scarce environment, is either A or B. When I was a kid, my mom gave me $250 lunch money and i spent it on a PS2 then I had to plain congee for a month. My mom said I do have the money but I decide to allocate somewhere else.

Sorry, kinda OT but.. $250 for lunch money!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Maybe for the month?
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #24

yeah it's for a month lol
Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
yeah it's for a month lol
Your parents gave you lunch money? You were quite privileged. Not too sure what the lesson was in giving you money...