REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #101
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
For those who love to jump on random "bitch about BC Ferries" bandwagons as they pass by without having any idea what they're actually about:

The bonus was a $300 gift card to a particular sporting good chain, OR $300 toward a gym membership.
The bonus was part of an incentive in a program aimed to reduce losses due to injury time, sick time, etc.
Per BCF's announced figures, some $2.5M was lost to such incidents in 2006, when the program was started. The past year, the losses were down to $800k. So in reality, that "bonus" given to employees was just a share of savings THEY helped the system to realize.

If you worked your ass off and took extra care at your job in order to save your employer millions of dollars annually, would you feel it improper to see a little piece of those savings?

You'd think the "oh woe is me" travelling public would be more appreciative that the staff even bothered.

And again, the bonus was a specific thing promised for the realization of specific goals. It has nothing to do with your experience on the boat.

Yeah, couple things about that...

First, their wages are set in union contracts, so good luck cutting them.
Second, the number of staff on the boat at any given time is mandated by federal Transport Canada regulations. If they've planned for X number of people to be on a sailing, and regulation requires Y number of staff, and then X-100 shows up, guess what? Those staff are already there and being paid, so what else are they supposed to do?
Third every one of them is fully trained in emergency and safety procedures, also as required by TC regs, so if something goes wrong, THEY can make sure YOUR ungrateful ass gets off safely. They're not there to be your personal valet or to perform whatever lowly tasks YOU think they should or shouldn't be performing.

And while you may not give a fuck about marine life, keep in mind that TOURISTs eat that shit up, and without that tourist traffic, especially this time of year, your fares as a jaded commuter would probably be a lot higher.
You must work for the ferry or have a family member that works for them.

I don't care if they are unionized. My point was they don't deserve what they get paid. That's my opinion based on the hundreds of times I have sailed the ferry over the past four years. Why am I ungrateful? They are paid to do a job. I paid to get on that ferry to take me across and I just helped pay their wage. They should help me get on/off the ferry safely and obviously they should be trained in safety and emergency procedures.
Otherwise I would just load myself and my car on the ferry and navigate my way to the island myself.

I never asked them to be my personal valet? And what lowly tasks did I ask them to perform in my post? You make no sense at all. You work for the BC ferries don't you?

There was a car running idle on the ferry and it was unnoticed for a long period of time. No worker noticed it at all. They were too busy talking and doing nothing as usual. So how was my safety protected by them?

The ferry is one of the most horribly run corporations ever. Look at the numbers. I never understand why someone deserves a bonus for doing their job properly. You get paid to do a job and you should do it a 100% every damn day. You are telling me that all 3,000 of those workers have done such an exceptional job they deserve a bonus. Bullshit.

You must be sniffing too much fumes on the ferry deck when you're working. Grab a mask next sailing, Darth Vader style! " Luke, I deserve my $300 gift card kshhh kssshh. I finally did my job that I am paid for kshhh kshhh" LOL
Advertisement

Last edited by acurael; 07-13-2013 at 11:59 PM.
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #102
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Why do people get so butt hurt about things that hardly affect them? There are so many more important things in life to worry and get all up in arms about than the benefits employees get a company that you and I have no involvement in. What, you would rather have them pass on these savings of $100,000 a year to us, the consumer? BC Ferries wipes their asses with money like that, it's pocket change. If this was a situation where the company was spending a million dollars a year to provide its employees with gym memberships, then we may have some ground to stand on and say "hey, pass those savings on to the consumer instead." But it's not the case...

I can't imagine the reactions that some people would have if they found out the benefits Shaw employees get working at Shaw Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post

There was a car running idle on the ferry and it was unnoticed for a long period of time. No worker noticed it at all. They were too busy talking and doing nothing as usual. So how was my safety protected by them?
I'm assuming that you made it safely off the ferry since you're sitting here posting away...Did you ever think that perhaps the BC Ferry Corporation and their employees were trolling you by leaving that car running on purpose just to get a reaction out of you!? Don't let them win by getting upset by it...stay strong, keep fighting the good fight though.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Why do people get so butt hurt about things that hardly affect them? There are so many more important things in life to worry and get all up in arms about than the benefits employees get a company that you and I have no involvement in. What, you would rather have them pass on these savings of $100,000 a year to us, the consumer? BC Ferries wipes their asses with money like that, it's pocket change. If this was a situation where the company was spending a million dollars a year to provide its employees with gym memberships, then we may have some ground to stand on and say "hey, pass those savings on to the consumer instead." But it's not the case...

I can't imagine the reactions that some people would have if they found out the benefits Shaw employees get working at Shaw Tower.

I'm assuming that you made it safely off the ferry since you're sitting here posting away...Did you ever think that perhaps the BC Ferry Corporation and their employees were trolling you by leaving that car running on purpose just to get a reaction out of you!? Don't let them win by getting upset by it...stay strong, keep fighting the good fight though.
Yah I'm so lucky to be alive. It was quite the scare.

I think people are upset because the rates continue to increase and they are cutting services due to a continued deficit. Yet we hear things like bonuses. So it's only natural to get pissed off. I'm actually more pissed off with how most of the BC ferry workers are on a power trip (especially the ones in the ticket booths). That's even worse than the rate increases. Don't get me started!

Soundy must be sleeping right now. Resting for that 7 am sailing
Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #104
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Why do people get so butt hurt about things that hardly affect them?
Being on a island it effects me a lot. BC ferries is terribly run.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #105
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Being on a island it effects me a lot. BC ferries is terribly run.
No doubt a poorly run BC Ferries Corp. will affect a lot of people, especially islanders. I'm focused on the people butt hurt about employee's getting $300 gym passes.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #106
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
You must work for the ferry or have a family member that works for them.
Neither, actually, but thanks for playing.

Quote:
My point was they don't deserve what they get paid. That's my opinion based on the hundreds of times I have sailed the ferry over the past four years. Why am I ungrateful? They are paid to do a job.
Yes, and that job goes beyond just giving those little marine life speeches and directing cars. Or you figure those guys just kick back and smoke up until their next 15-minute shift?

Quote:
And how do you know they didn't notice it and decide that it wasn't an issue? Did you talk to any of them and ask whether they had noticed? "Hey dude, that car is left running..." "Oh shit, I walked past it ten times and never even caught that!"?

Quote:
I never understand why someone deserves a bonus for doing their job properly. You get paid to do a job and you should do it a 100% every damn day. You are telling me that all 3,000 of those workers have done such an exceptional job they deserve a bonus. Bullshit.
And once again, it was a specific bonus, promised for accomplishing a certain goal to save a substantial amount of money. It's a cut of those savings that those staff collectively helped bring about.

I suppose if your employer asked you to do your part to help save him a couple million dollars per year, just out of the goodness of your heart, and if you did it, you'd see squat for thanks... you'd be all over that, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #107

Quote:
No doubt a poorly run BC Ferries Corp. will affect a lot of people, especially islanders. I'm focused on the people butt hurt about employee's getting $300 gym passes.
Yeah, that's the funniest part about it: the passes were a cut of the savings those employees helped bring about. Perhaps these people would be happier if there had been no incentive program and the corporation continued to hemorrhage that $2.5M/year instead.
Quote:
Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #108
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
...you do understand the fundamental difference here, right? One is a fundamental component of our road system that provides a life line to those living on the island, and the other one brings up 'Keeping up with the Kardashians'.

And yes, it IS our fundamental right to demand and REQUIRE explanation of anything and everything to do with BC Ferries because BC ferries is a pseudo-private Crown Corp with access to the government bank account.

So yes. I question the shit out of it. You should question the shit out of it. Everyone in BC and Canada should start questioning the shit out of everything because we don't. Quite honestly I'm surprised this Mike Duffy thing is still in the news, because I'll tell you, in BC, or in Canada ONLY finding $90k of waste is GOOD news in comparison to the amount of money that gets poured into people, places and things on a daily basis.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
So yes. I question the shit out of it. You should question the shit out of it. Everyone in BC and Canada should start questioning the shit out of everything because we don't.
And now, thanks to The Innerwebz, people love to question half-truths, half-information, misinformation, and rumors as if they were fact. Or they'll question PART of a story completely out of context, while ignoring that the rest of it is right there.
Quote:
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #110

@ Soundy
I'm self employed. I don't believe in any bonus system. Maybe a christmas party that's about it. You work you get paid.

Well if you don't work for the ferries currently, I suggest you apply ASAP. you already have the correct mindset and would fit in perfectly.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #111

Quote:
Yeah, that's the funniest part about it: the passes were a cut of the savings those employees helped bring about. Perhaps these people would be happier if there had been no incentive program and the corporation continued to hemorrhage that $2.5M/year instead.
Why couldn't they just tell the employees we need to make a change since we are losing money. Otherwise their jobs could be at risk (that would make sense to me). I would be happy if they figured out how to NOT lose 2.5M per year in a more rational way. But people are lazy - so you have to overpay them for a job to begin with and then offer them a bonus to make sure they continue to do their job properly (increase efficiency, reduced fake sick days etc). That's the world we live in I guess (at least in North America).
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #112

Quote:
B.C. ferries should be doing everything to cut costs but everything they do seems to increase costs.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #113

Quote:
Why couldn't they just tell the employees we need to make a change since we are losing money. Otherwise their jobs could be at risk (that would make sense to me).
Because they're unionized and it's not as simple as just laying people off?
Because Transport Canada safety regulations mandate the number of crew required?
Because your version of "sense" doesn't fit reality?
Pick one. Or all.

Quote:
I would be happy if they figured out how to NOT lose 2.5M per year in a more rational way.
Did you read any of the story, at all? These particular losses were part of a specific issue. The incentive was offered for employees to address that specific issue. Fear of job loss is not an available factor. So you tell them, "follow this program to save us money, and we'll give you a share of the savings". I don't get how that is unfair to anyone.

Add to that, the incentive was SPECIFICALLY aimed at improving employee health and fitness, which leads to fewer sick days, better work performance, and less drain on the health care system. It's not like they were passing out cash or GCs to Fredericks of Hollywood.

Quote:
Well if you don't work for the ferries currently, I suggest you apply ASAP. you already have the correct mindset and would fit in perfectly.
I have no love of unions and their tactics, but I also have no love of the sort of self-centered, uninformed stupidity you keep spewing... and a great appreciation for the skills, ability, and training those employees have to protect MY life on the off chance something might go wrong on a sailing.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
B.C. ferries should be doing everything to cut costs but everything they do seems to increase costs.
Yeah, that 200% increase in the cost of fuel over the last decade is definitely their fault. And the stiffer federal regulations on safety requirements for the ships' operation, construction, etc? Yeah, their fault too.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #115

Quote:
Because they're unionized and it's not as simple as just laying people off?
Because Transport Canada safety regulations mandate the number of crew required?
Because your version of "sense" doesn't fit reality?
Pick one. Or all.

I have no love of unions and their tactics, but I also have no love of the sort of self-centered, uninformed stupidity you keep spewing... and a great appreciation for the skills, ability, and training those employees have to protect MY life on the off chance something might go wrong on a sailing.
I can have my own opinion on things and that doesn't make it stupid. I appreciate the work they do but that doesn't mean they should be unionized and be overpaid does it? Maybe they shouldn't be unionized and maybe transport Canada should look into their regulations more and see if changes can be made.

You can't just say well that's the way it is - they can't cut their costs so let them continue to bleed money and increase rates. I am sure they can figure out a better way to run the BC ferries without it being a continued loss every year and being subsidized by the government. Or at least try.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #116
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
They don't deserve any bonus IMO. I take the ferry every week. In fact I'm on it right now as I'm typing this. What do I see? overpaid workers that really do nothing. The workers that are on the car decks are on their smartphones. When it's Canucks playoffs I've seem them standing together trying to get a feed of their phones. Sure give them the gift card but cut all their wages because they don't deserve it and definitely cut the amount of workers.

Today - they have someone that is giving a tour on marine life on deck 7. Really? How much is that person gettin paid? I just paid 85.25 with reservation. I dont want marine life tour. I just want to get to the other side. Also today car was left running on the car deck and no one inside. Guess who noticed it? Not the deck worker, a passenger - and this was like 15 minutes into the sail. While this is all happening I'm hearing announcements that the UV index is high today and they have sunscreen in the gift shop. Also there is 30 percent off Roots wallets and a gift if you buy 19 dollars worth of lotion or something in the gift shop. Maybe they should be paying more attention to the car that is running than making profit off sunscreen or wallets.

I could go on forever with stories but trust me that these workers do not deserve anything more than 12-15 dollars per hour (the regular workers). Head captain and seniors on ferry obviously should get paid more.

end of rant
I can't wait to ride the ferry with untrained idiots working for $12-$15/hour. Medical emergency? Ferry going under? Explosion in the engine room?

So, basically, you want to entrust your life to people who get paid similar to what McDonald's and Wal-mart pay ... Amazing logic there ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #117

Quote:
so if something goes wrong, THEY can make sure YOUR ungrateful ass gets off safely. They're not there to be your personal valet or to perform whatever lowly tasks YOU think they should or shouldn't be performing.
You still haven't explained this...I never asked them to do anything in any of my posts? Seems like you are spewing some stupidity too? No you are never wrong. Sorry. Your opinion and facts are the only thing that is righteous in this world. lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #118
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

In the 80's the government did a feasibility study on a bridge to the island and concluded that they needed technological advancements, also costs.

A Potential Fixed Link to Vancouver Island - Ministry of Transportation

Nowadays with modern technology it may be feasible now?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I can't wait to ride the ferry with untrained idiots working for $12-$15/hour. Medical emergency? Ferry going under? Explosion in the engine room?

So, basically, you want to entrust your life to people who get paid similar to what McDonald's and Wal-mart pay ... Amazing logic there ...
What about the workers that sell the tickets at the booths? Are they saving my life when we are on the ferry? I never said all the workers should be paid 12-15 dollars per hour. Only some of them ("regular workers") - like the ones giving the marine tour or have simple tasks like cleaning the washroom or working in the kitchen. Obviously the people responsible for safety/seniors should be paid more.

This thread could go on forever.....None of us actually know what goes on with the BC ferries and their budget. We all have our opinions based on what we have heard or experienced on the ferries. All we can say is something is definitely not right if they continue to lose money year after year and continue increasing rates for passengers.

I hope one day me and Soundy meet on a sailing - Me the passenger and Soundy the BC ferry worker, embrace each other and hug with tears coming down our faces as MJ's "Heal the World" plays in the background. That will be the day the world changes for the better.

Last edited by acurael; 07-14-2013 at 12:45 PM.
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #120
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
What about the workers that sell the tickets at the booths? Are they saving my life when we are on the ferry? I never said all the workers should be paid 12-15 dollars per hour. Only some of them - like the ones giving the marine tour or have simple tasks. Obviously the people responsible for safety should be paid more.
Everyone on the boat is responsible for the safety of the passengers and must be certified by Transport Canada.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Everyone on the boat is responsible for the safety of the passengers and must be certified by Transport Canada.
Ok, good to know. What about the workers in the ticket booths or working in the kitchen at lands end cafe (not on the boat)? Or do all workers alternate between duties?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #122

Quote:
Yeah, that 200% increase in the cost of fuel over the last decade is definitely their fault. And the stiffer federal regulations on safety requirements for the ships' operation, construction, etc? Yeah, their fault too.
That's what the fuel surcharge was for. Mismanagement and waste is the biggest problem for B.C. ferries. When the Tsawwassen ferry terminal was built they already had plans to replace the overhead walk way before the terminal even opened. They installed a giant TV screen outside and a bunch of TV's inside that they never use. They have rebuilt the Nanaimo terminal at least 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years. The arcade on the ferry always has broken games. Last time non of the games worked. The gift shop sells some of the stupidest stuff. Who is going to buy open towed sock on a ferry? Why no debit on the ferry? Also lets not forget all the money lost on the fast ferries.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #123
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
im with most of the others in here soundy, if you dont work for the ferries you should apply.

bc ferries is a complete failure as a company, and blaming the fact that they hemorrhage money on the cost of fuel is complete idiocy. every industry is effected by the rise in fuel costs. yet somehow the ferries are the only fucking company who cant overcome it?

in the past 5 years bc ferries ticket prices have gone up by 13% more than the average flight from vancouver to toronto, that number balloons to over 20% if you look at flights inside BC ( i fly alot within bc for business). i would argue that the airlines have had it much harder since 2008 than bc ferries, yet their prices have gone up much less and they remain very profitable. so bc ferries is clearly fucked up somewhere. and i have to agree that fuck up is where they pay people who flag cars at the terminals 25+ dollars an hour for something someone with the mental capacity of a child could handle.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
im with most of the others in here soundy, if you dont work for the ferries you should apply.

bc ferries is a complete failure as a company, and blaming the fact that they hemorrhage money on the cost of fuel is complete idiocy. every industry is effected by the rise in fuel costs. yet somehow the ferries are the only fucking company who cant overcome it?

in the past 5 years bc ferries ticket prices have gone up by 13% more than the average flight from vancouver to toronto, that number balloons to over 20% if you look at flights inside BC ( i fly alot within bc for business). i would argue that the airlines have had it much harder since 2008 than bc ferries, yet their prices have gone up much less and they remain very profitable. so bc ferries is clearly fucked up somewhere. and i have to agree that fuck up is where they pay people who flag cars at the terminals 25+ dollars an hour for something someone with the mental capacity of a child could handle.
finally someone that makes sense! I take the ferries every week and pay ridiculous rates. I see what happens every week. Did you guys know if I make a reservation for a certain time it costs 18.25 - then if an hour later I realize I made a mistake or need to change the time to the next ferry it costs me $9 more dollars to CHANGE the reservation! really?? Its a computerized system. This is changing it 5+ days in advance.
If I am late for a reservation I don't make it on the ferry. If they are late I still pay the reservation fee. How is that fair? The BC ferries are a leech. Suck your blood while they laugh and play on their smartphones.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #125
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
finally someone that makes sense! I take the ferries every week and pay ridiculous rates. I see what happens every week. Did you guys know if I make a reservation for a certain time it costs 18.25 - then if an hour later I realize I made a mistake or need to change the time to the next ferry it costs me $9 more dollars to CHANGE the reservation! really?? Its a computerized system. This is changing it 5+ days in advance.
If I am late for a reservation I don't make it on the ferry. If they are late I still pay the reservation fee. How is that fair? The BC ferries are a leech. Suck your blood while they laugh and play on their smartphones.
I agree with this as I also use to take the ferries all the time. The system is poorly designed. I wholeheartedly agree that BC ferries is not well run or managed, and certain type of workers are overpaid. This is an industry that cant be profitable due the way the routes are set up (lots of traffic to Nanaimo and Victoria, very few up North). It's difficult to cut services to the communities up north. I see BC Ferries more as a cost centre and the goal is to minimize costs while providing a certain level of service.

However the topic of the last couple pages was regarding the giftcards, and I do not think the giftcard idea was a waste of money. Companies offer incentives all the time, and this was an incentive which benefited taxpayers due to benefits in health and reduced sick days, as well as increasing employee morale. The reality is it's a unionized environment, one where it's almost impossible to change; and given what we've got, this was a policy that I, as a taxpayer, didn't mind paying.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote