REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

RCMP to announce terrorism charges at a press conference in Surrey

RCMP to announce terrorism charges at a press conference in Surrey | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
The RCMP will be providing details into arrests made in project Souvenir, a National Security investigation coordinated by the RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams (INSETs) in B.C.

RCMP-led INSETs are specialized multi-agency investigative teams comprised of employees of the RCMP, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA), and other law enforcement and national security partners at the federal, provincial, municipal levels who investigate all national security criminal threats.

The press conference will be held at 11 o’clock in Surrey.
Advertisement
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
@CKNW News has confirmed terrorism threat related to packages at BC Legislature is subject of RCMP charges to be announced at 11 am.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Pair from Victoria arrested, accused of terror plot | News1130
Quote:
Amanda Korody and John Nuttall are accused of knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity and possession of an explosive substance.

Court records show one of the crimes happened in Surrey back in March and the second happened last week in Victoria.

The RCMP is announcing more details about Project Souvenir at a news conference this morning.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
[UPDATED: 10:35 a.m.] A Victoria man and woman have been charged with terrorism after a suspicious package was left at the provincial legislature on Canada Day.
Fuck these people; on Canada Day? Especially chilling with this photo from the day of:

Good job RCMP, CSIS, CBSA, et al.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
"inspired".... really? WTF.

SURREY (NEWS1130) – Two people accused of plotting to set off explosives during yesterday’s Canada Day celebrations in Victoria have been arrested on terrorism charges.

Amanda Korody and John Nuttall are accused of knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity and possession of an explosive substance.

The RCMP believe they plotted to place explosives in a public place at the BC Legislature in Victoria yesterday.

Mounties say they were in control during the investigation and ensured that the devices could not be detonated and there was no danger to the public.

RCMP Assistant Commissioner James Malitzia says the pair doesn’t appear to have any links to foreign terror groups, but “our investigation revealed that these individuals were inspired by al-Qaida ideology.”

At a news conference this morning, Mounties displayed photos of suspected explosives made with pressure cookers that appeared similar to those used in the deadly Boston Marathon bombings.

The RCMP claims the pair was inspired by al-Qaida ideology, though they say this was a “self-radicalized plot,” meaning al-Qaida is not believed to have had a direct role.

Nuttall and Korody are being held in custody in Surrey.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Ridiculous. Good job RCMP. If these ppl "hate" the country they live in so much, then GTFO. Sometimes too much freedom can be a bad thing. (In my opinion of course)
Posted via RS Mobile
tr0ubl3s0m3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
RCMP in BC - RCMP Arrests Two Individuals for Terrorism-related Charges
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Zombie Mod

Failed for laziness because RS doesn't like to click links

Quote:
On July 1st, the RCMP arrested two individuals and charged them with conspiring to carry out a terrorist attack. The two accused John Stuart Nuttall and Amanda Korody, who live in Surrey, British Columbia, took steps to build explosive devices and place them at the British Columbia Legislature in Victoria where crowds were expected to gather on Canada Day.

Charges against these individuals include conspiring to place an explosive in or against a place of public use, a government or public facility, with the intent to cause death or serious bodily injury, for the benefit of, at the direction or in association with a terrorist group. They have been charged under Sections 431.2(2), 83.19 and 81(1)(d) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

I want to reassure our citizens that at all times during the investigation, our primary focus was the safety and protection of the public. While the RCMP believes this threat was real, at no time was the security of the public at risk,
stated Assistant Commissioner James Malizia, responsible for Federal Policing Operations. These arrests are another example of the effectiveness of our Integrated National Security Enforcement Team who worked tenaciously to prevent this plan from being carried out.

The RCMP investigation named Project SOUVENIR, was coordinated by the RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams (INSET) in British Columbia and initiated with information from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. The RCMP would like to thank its INSET partners in British Columbia for their tremendous support throughout this investigation.

It is very important that Canadians remain vigilant, added Assistant Commissioner Malizia. We encourage the active engagement of all our citizens in protecting Canada’s national security as it is a shared responsibility.

The public is always urged to bring any suspicious activities to the RCMP’s attention through the National Security Information Network (1-800-420-5805) or by contacting the police in their community.

Quote:
Comments from Assistant Commissioner James Malizia

Good afternoon and thank you all for being here.

On July 1st, the RCMP arrested and charged John Stuart Nuttall and Amanda Korody for terrorism-related activities, including taking steps to build and subsequently place explosive devices at a pre-determined public location in the City of Victoria in British Columbia for the purpose of causing death or serious bodily injuries on Canada Day.

These charges are the result of an RCMP investigation named project SOUVENIR, which was launched in February 2013 based on information received from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

These individuals were inspired by Al Qaeda ideology. Our investigation demonstrated that this was a domestic threat, without international linkages.

I want to reassure our citizens that at all times during the investigation, our primary focus was the safety and protection of the public. While the RCMP believes this threat was real, at no time was the security of the public at risk.

These arrests are another example of the effectiveness of our Integrated National Security Enforcement Team who worked tenaciously to prevent this plan from being carried out. We detected the threat early and disrupted it. On behalf of the RCMP, I want to express our appreciation to CSIS and all our partners for their tremendous support throughout this investigation. I also want to express my gratitude to everyone who worked tirelessly on this case for their commitment, expertise and dedication.

It is very important that Canadians remain vigilant. We encourage the active engagement of all of our citizens in protecting Canada’s national security as this is a shared responsibility. We urge the public to bring any suspicious activities to the RCMP’s attention through our National Security Information Network (1-800-420-5805) or by contacting the police in their communities.

I would now invite Assistant Commissioner Wayne Rideout to share some of the details of the investigation.
Quote:
Comments from Assistant Commissioner Wayne Rideout

This has been a priority investigation for the RCMP that included a number of partnerships who all place public safety first and foremost.

INSET’s mandate is to detect, deter and dismantle terrorist activities. John NUTTALL and Amanda KORODY, who are both Canadian-born citizens have been charged with the following:

Count 1: John NUTTALL and Amanda KORODY did conspire to place an explosive in or against a place of public use, a government or public facility, with intent to cause death or serious bodily injury; in connection to terrorism.

Count 2: John NUTTALL and Amanda KORODY did knowingly facilitate a terrorist activity,

Count 3: John NUTTALL and Amanda KORODY did make or have in their possession an explosive substance with intent to endanger life or cause serious damage to property.

This self-radicalized behaviour was intended to create maximum impact and harm to Canadian citizens at the BC Legislature on a National holiday. They took steps to educate themselves and produced explosive devices designed to cause injury and death.

The RCMP deployed significant resources over the past five months.

The suspects were committed to acts of violence and discussed a wide variety of targets and techniques.

In order to ensure public safety, we employed a variety of complex investigative and covert techniques to control any opportunity the suspects had to commit harm.

These devices were completely under our control, they were inert, and at no time represented a threat to public safety.

We all agree that crimes of this nature are not acceptable as they work to destroy the very foundation to a safe and peaceful society. While these charges are shocking, they are still rare. Nevertheless, that doesn’t remove the need to remain vigilant and we are out there to ensure nothing happens to Canadians.

We would also like to recognize our community partners. We have worked hard over the years to strengthen and build our relationships with various citizen and community groups. We have met with a number of leaders this morning and provided them with an update and truly appreciate their support.

I am mindful that charges are currently before the courts. As a result, there are a series of details I cannot discuss in order to ensure a successful prosecution.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #9

I like how they also have to refer back to Al Qaida. Maybe the two couple were hating on the Liberals winning majority government
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Couple was from surrey. /thread
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
Couple was from surrey. /thread
Posted via RS Mobile
are you fucking kidding me with this shit?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

Grow up with the Surrey bullshit you cunt.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07...arges-tuesday/

PICS OF THE BOMBS: Rusty nails, bolts, washers, anything to improve the bang for his buck...

Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
yesterday at Canada place, I was talking to a worker in a little booth where you buy tickets to watch the fireworks on their pier type patio thing. there was the wooden stand/ad infront of her booth kinda looks like a 3ft tall /\. anyways, someone had left a backpack underneath it, and from the time I started talking to the lady at the booth, there was 1 cop there, and by the time I was finished (maybe 45 seconds later) there was 7 cops there poking it with an asp and inspecting it and calling it in on their radios.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Damn, no where's safe
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
These are the worst kinds of attacks. These people leave no indicators, and they don't talk to people that bring attention. They look up shit on the internet alone in the dark, and potentially take out a lot of innocent people.

Scary times out there.

Excellent police work in getting this thing stopped before we had a seriously dangerous event.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Zombie Mod

Maybe they brought attention to themselves when they bought everything in one Walmart trip.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #17

Considering they had no previous suspicious activity, I wonder what ticked off the feds; apparently they have been tracking them since February. Unless as above mentioned, they bought all the equipment way back in February.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I was in the same location for the fireworks...
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
They're two heroin addicts with a history of petty crime and robbery and are supposedly satanists (according to Kim Bolan, crime reporter etc)

And they were allowed to travel to Victoria and even plant their devices and allowed to return back to the mainland to Abbotsford before being arrested... interesting almost sounds like they were hoping these crackheads would succeed

they can claim that the devices were made sure to be inert but how do they know for certain that crackboy and his gf didnt make any changes to the device (which it sounds was provided by the RCMP/CSIS...)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
yesterday at Canada place, I was talking to a worker in a little booth where you buy tickets to watch the fireworks on their pier type patio thing. there was the wooden stand/ad infront of her booth kinda looks like a 3ft tall /\. anyways, someone had left a backpack underneath it, and from the time I started talking to the lady at the booth, there was 1 cop there, and by the time I was finished (maybe 45 seconds later) there was 7 cops there poking it with an asp and inspecting it and calling it in on their radios.
asp is a brand,

the correct term is expandable police baton

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Considering they had no previous suspicious activity, I wonder what ticked off the feds; apparently they have been tracking them since February. Unless as above mentioned, they bought all the equipment way back in February.
What tipped the police off?

A neighbour called when he heard the talking about blowing shit up.

The thing about criminals is that they are rarely smart...

Neighbour called police after hearing B.C. terror suspect yelling about ?blowing things up? | Globalnews.ca
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

The thing about criminals is that they are rarely smart...
The smart ones are called politicians
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
And they were allowed to travel to Victoria and even plant their devices and allowed to return back to the mainland to Abbotsford before being arrested... interesting almost sounds like they were hoping these crackheads would succeed
I'd imagine that in order to press full "terrorism" charges they need to ensure that these assholes actually went through with their plan.

In Oregon, a terrorist was allowed to actually "trigger" his explosive device before he was arrested. They wanted to be absolutely sure that the person was set on killing and injuring a person in an attack and not just talking shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Portland_car_bomb_plot
I'd imagine that they were aware of this junkie trash every step of the way and neutralized whatever device they planted by the time they were out of sight. They likely waited until they were back to Abbotsford to see if they were going to celebrate with any other crackhead potential terrorists.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
They're two heroin addicts with a history of petty crime and robbery and are supposedly satanists (according to Kim Bolan, crime reporter etc)

they can claim that the devices were made sure to be inert but how do they know for certain that crackboy and his gf didnt make any changes to the device (which it sounds was provided by the RCMP/CSIS...)
You are saying the rcmp supplied the device??? Maybe you are on to something. Like those RAID ant traps. Supply criminals bombs and detonate them when they return to the queen to wipe out the criminal colony.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I'd imagine that in order to press full "terrorism" charges they need to ensure that these assholes actually went through with their plan.

In Oregon, a terrorist was allowed to actually "trigger" his explosive device before he was arrested. They wanted to be absolutely sure that the person was set on killing and injuring a person in an attack and not just talking shit.

2010 Portland car bomb plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd imagine that they were aware of this junkie trash every step of the way and neutralized whatever device they planted by the time they were out of sight. They likely waited until they were back to Abbotsford to see if they were going to celebrate with any other crackhead potential terrorists.
there are a plethora of charges they can place on the suspects without having to allow a risk of public safety to occur even if the police feel confident that the supposed devices were "inert"
this can be seen in many previous cases even as recent as the via rail bombing
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: