REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
wouldn't "putting your head down" be considered "taking part"?

where was the respect for non-religious people?

dude was blindsided by this...especially considering it was work related.
How was he blindsided? Did they hold him down and force the Jesus right into him?

They had a prayer. Work places don't have to be secular.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Illuminati
Posted via RS Mobile
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,175 Times in 705 Posts
It is a private ie invite only event right?

Their event, their rules.

If you don't like it, you can walk out; I assume no one put a gun to your head?

Next time say "and most of all, we thank you for fast cars"

Last edited by godwin; 07-06-2013 at 11:13 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
What do you think?

I was at a large golf tournament a few weeks back for a construction supply company and after the tournament they introduced a man who was a beneficiary of some of the money raised, the man in charge of the whole thing then asked everyone to follow him in a prayer and saying grace before the dinner

I'm about as atheist as they come and wanted no part, so being reasonably polite i sat there through the whole thing, id say about 30-40% of people may have hung their heads in prayer yadayadya

at the end a few women at another table kind of gave me a stink eye, dont know if it was cause i didn't hang my head or refused to say "amen" or what but i felt insulted that i would be looked upon like that and in the end i felt the whole situation was pretty ignorant on the part of the hosts..

considering the whole party of about 120-165 people were made up of a huge mix of ethnicity's, backgrounds, etc. I felt it was completely inappropriate to have such a prayer especially considering this event was completely unrelated ..
Completely inappropriate and of very poor taste in my books.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
Banned By Establishment

By refusing to hang your head you looked like an asshat. Just stfu and go with it. You atheists are worse than catholics, always trying to prove your point.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #31
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Saying grace is annoying for athiests.

Thanks to the farmers, the vegetable pickers, the slaughterhouse workers, the truck drivers, the delivery people, the grocery store owners, the grocery store cashiers, the people who made the plastic bags, petroleum engineers and gas station owners, people who make stoves, people who made cutlery, the napkin making people, Jesus the mexican farmer, the people who delivers electricity, the cooks, whew.. it just gets to be a mouthful.

Pretty jealous of those who can simply attribute their food to a single deity.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
When I was a lad, I was raised Christian (Anglican to be specific); as I got older, I kind of outgrew it since there was nobody who could really answer my faith-based questions, and everyone basically said "You just have to believe". Very annoying.

As I entered my late teens and early twenties I got very frustrated with a lot of the 'godliness' that we keep in our modern culture despite it supposedly being secular. I used to get offended at things like the JWs who would come around and on the back of their pamphlet it said "We said a prayer for you before we knocked at your door" and all that. I got all indignant; "Who says that your prayers will help me? Who says we believe in anything even remotely close to the same thing?"

But. I've mellowed out in my old age. I started thinking about my hypocrisy and double standards regarding religion. When it came to non-christian rites, I viewed what they were doing as a sign of respect; they were willing to extend their cultural values to me. Whereas I found Christians just being pushy--but this was my own internal bias.

Saying a prayer doesn't constitute evangelism. Constantly telling you that you can't be a good person without going to church does. When it comes time for someone to say a prayer, or ask for a moment of contemplation or what have you, then just acknowledge that this time is important for them. There's no need for you to participate in it at all, just acknowledge their desire for reassurance or what have you.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #34
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
unrelated: who pays for churches? I've seen some pretty pimp churches that would cost millions built recently
People who attend the church pay a tithe, ie. A donation to the church.
This supports the church expenses. Everything is by donation.
At my church, some people donate between $1-$500 every Sunday.

Edit: I realized I didn't answer your question. For new churches, organizations fund raise money or the new church is an upgrade from an older church. All churches rely of donations from people. Though, Catholic churches get money from the Vatican. Somee of the bigger churches in thegvrr have huge budgets and collect tons of money in tithes.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by PeanutButter; 07-07-2013 at 07:08 AM.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #35

Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
unrelated: who pays for churches? I've seen some pretty pimp churches that would cost millions built recently
Churches are businesses. They're handled and operated as one. Some are independent while others are apart of a conglomerate of churches as one big organization. Fundraising and donations are the most common forms of receiving money as well as personal sponsorships given by individual members affiliated with the church.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
I am grateful grapefruit

I have a few religious friends, and they say generally devoted people will donate 5-10% of their income to the church.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,813 Times in 957 Posts
rofl, grow a thicker skin.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I was at Eagle Motorplex in Ashcroft a few weeks back. It was a big IHRA event. Mid day, they stop for lunch, but just before that, the announcer starts to go into prayer. After that, they play the Stars and Stripes. All the racers were then invited to the church service at the track the following morning (Sunday).
Ever watch NASCAR on TV? Last thing before "Gentleman, Start Your Engines" is the anthem and a prayer over the PA system for 100,000+ people (and however many millions more don't mute the sound on TV). Don't think I've heard many complaints about it or people being "offended" by it. Or maybe they're just afraid of pissing off the Jesus-lovin', shotgun-totin' good ol' boys.

Ever been to a CFL game? Right after every game, the players from both teams gather for a group prayer in the middle of the field, usually upwards of half of them. Not once have I ever heard of anyone watching being "offended" by this, finding it "inappropriate", or out-of-place, despite being about as public as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
If its a host, or a guest of a host, or someone well respected, or whatever, give them the 2 mins of respect, look down, ride it out (as you did).
This. It's a simple thing: you're in someone else's "house", you follow their rules/procedures/rituals. They want you to take off your shoes at the door, nobody is FORCING you do - you do it out of respect. They want to say grace before dinner, it's not gonna kill you to respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i think its just pretty insensitive to other religions especially when looking at the room the amount of different races attending the event almost certainly are of a different religion if they are affiliated with one
The thing is, pretty much all religions have prayers of thanksgiving, believe in at least one God, respect Jesus as an important figure and teacher if nothing else... and oddly, most other religions are more respectful of Christianity than Christianity is of them. There's nothing stopping those of other religions in a situation like this from offering their own silent prayers to their own God(s). For that matter, there's nothing stopping the atheists from taking advantage of the 15s to go over their shopping list for later, or do some mental gymnastics, or whatever else they want to occupy themselves with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
I've been in the same situations with company functions, personally, it's offensive since I attended a work function NOT a religious one. Though, I am respectful. I don't get up and leave or make a scene, but I don't hang my head and close my eyes. I just sit there. I've been glared at several times, and to be honest, it's fucking annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #39
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 1,908 Times in 771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Churches are businesses. They're handled and operated as one. Some are independent while others are apart of a conglomerate of churches as one big organization. Fundraising and donations are the most common forms of receiving money as well as personal sponsorships given by individual members affiliated with the church.
I would not say churches are a business - some people on the forums might take it too literally. Businesses are usually driven by profit; buy low sell high.

Not for profit organizations , what churches are categorized as - have the goal of breaking even and must spend XX% of "donations received" on charitable activities.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I would not say churches are a business - .
oh man, don't kid yourself. religion is big business.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #41
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
the only religion that should exist out there should be common sense. there is no god only our perceived reality and reality itself. You are allowed to believe whatever you want and express it wherever you want even if you are told you cannot. It is an expression of the freedom we have had since we were born.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #42

Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I would not say churches are a business - some people on the forums might take it too literally. Businesses are usually driven by profit; buy low sell high.

Not for profit organizations , what churches are categorized as - have the goal of breaking even and must spend XX% of "donations received" on charitable activities.
...Isn't that Catholic church worth BILLIONS of dollars!?

I know it's a far-fetched example, but it's TRUTH. My religion included, relies on large donations to run their operations. There are political and financial motivations behind all these institutions. There's nothing wrong with that, in theory, but it's important to recognize that is how churches are run rather than thinking that they're built and run solely on the kindness of people's hearts. Priests get paid, housed and compensated for their services, infrastructures needs to be built to support the growing number of people and a need for expansion costs a lot of money. This is how businesses work.

Last edited by parm104; 07-07-2013 at 07:43 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #43
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 8,232 Times in 3,265 Posts
Ticket to Heaven - Dire Straits

"To the man with the diamond ring."

DIRE STRAITS LYRICS - Ticket To Heaven

substitute the word "god" with Allah, Mohammed, Buddha, Odin, your parents, whathaveyou..........
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #44
MG1

Quote:
Yup, just look up Aga Khan.

substitute the word "god" with Allah, Mohammed, Buddha, Odin, your parents, whathaveyou..........
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #45
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Not once have I ever heard of anyone watching being "offended" by this, finding it "inappropriate", or out-of-place, despite being about as public as you can get.
I never get offended by that stuff. I just find it interesting. I go to MRP a lot and have never witnessed anything like it. That's all.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #46
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 487 Posts
merry Christmas

are you offended by that as well? or would you prefer me to say "happy holidays" while you unwrap your presents on Christmas day? (I know, not everyone celebrates Christmas, but ill bet 90%+ of the people here do)

isn't it a day(originally) where you celebrate Jesus' "birthday"? I dunno...but it seems pretty hypocritical to me that you can celebrate and take part in that, yet find a prayer at a dinner inappropriate..
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #47
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,347 Times in 1,407 Posts
^
to add on that...

I think people are forgetting they live in north america. which was basically founded by jesus christ himself after he got kicked outta england.

we live in a christian dominant culture.

if this were asia, you'd be expected to tolerate taoist/buddhist rituals.

if this were the middle east, you'd be expected to tolerate islamic rituals.

but no... this is north america. you are expected to tolerate christian rituals.

like stewie says... you celebrate christmas. you take easter holidays. etc.

you live on a continent paved by christians.

i aint no christian lover, don't get me wrong. I think they're the biggest cult on the planet.

but i have to respect the fact that I live in their land.

or else soon, what, the indians, the chinese, and all immigrants will start to bitch when we sing oh canada.
u can sure as hell bet, many immigrants here don't consider themselves "canadian". they don't give two shits about singing oh canada. but they still stand up when its time to "sing".

when its time to "say a prayer". just look down at your feet and like others have said, think about what you're going to jerk off to on xhamster later that night.

it's just about respect.
just cuz you're an italian mobster doesn't mean you can't respect triad syndicate traditions right?

you might not agree with them, but you're in their territory, surrounded by them.

random out of date fact:
#1 land owner in the world is the catholic church.

#2 is... drum roll... mcdonalds.

in fact, mcdonalds could be #1 in the world now.
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 07-08-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #48
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 1,659 Times in 843 Posts
Quote:
Agree! How do you think church pay for all the maintance, property tax, bills. Why do you think they charge thousands of dollars when you want to perferm a cermeory inside a church? Or take donations every Sunday?

As for the OP. I would think is inapporiate thae these women would stare down at you. I am is not with or against any regilon and there are friends who beleive in God and try to get me to convert. Simply I just told them I am not interested and most of them do respect that.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #49
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,594 Times in 846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I do't think it was completely ignorant, in that some people handle that 'portion' of the religion differently.

Most see it as they are helping the people they care about, if they are able to convert them to religion. MOST will not continue to try over and over, but in my experience it almost always comes up at least once. The good people will respect you if you turn them down, the annoying ones will keep at it. That's a good way to determine who the true friends are.
You're absolutely right. I hate preachy Christians too. But you're far more likely to get this attitude from other Christian denominations (IE: Jehovans, Evangelicals, etc) than from Catholics.

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #50
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
^
to add on that...

I think people are forgetting they live in north america. which was basically founded by jesus christ himself after he got kicked outta england.

we live in a christian dominant culture.

if this were asia, you'd be expected to tolerate taoist/buddhist rituals.

if this were the middle east, you'd be expected to tolerate islamic rituals.

but no... this is north america. you are expected to tolerate christian rituals.

like stewie says... you celebrate christmas. you take easter holidays. etc.

you live on a continent paved by christians.

i aint no christian lover, don't get me wrong. I think they're the biggest cult on the planet.

but i have to respect the fact that I live in their land.

or else soon, what, the indians, the chinese, and all immigrants will start to bitch when we sing oh canada.
u can sure as hell bet, many immigrants here don't consider themselves "canadian". they don't give two shits about singing oh canada. but they still stand up when its time to "sing".

when its time to "say a prayer". just look down at your feet and like others have said, think about what you're going to jerk off to on xhamster later that night.

it's just about respect.
just cuz you're an italian mobster doesn't mean you can't respect triad syndicate traditions right?

you might not agree with them, but you're in their territory, surrounded by them.

random out of date fact:
#1 land owner in the world is the catholic church.

#2 is... drum roll... mcdonalds.

in fact, mcdonalds could be #1 in the world now.
These "Christians" didn't respect the fact that Native Americans were on this land first.

It doesn't matter that they 'paved' the way or whatever you said.

Things change. I fully support people standing up rituals like saying grace being mocked for not holding the head down and saying 'Amen'. To me it's the same as fighting the "Christian" definition of marriage.

We got rid of prayers in school, are you suggesting that we bring it back for respect? Since according to you we are 'surrounded' by Christians?

Please.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: