REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Yes, current is the killer, as our residential RS Electrical Engineering team has pointed out. In fact, the lower the current, the more damaging it is if it travels through your heart. It is better to have a high current immediately stop your heart than to have a small current cause your heart to go into fibrillation.

TBH, there is definitely more to it than just the 5V charger being the culprit. I talk on my phone while its charger for as long as I've owned a cell phone and I'm not dead. Yet.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Apple to probe death of Chinese woman who used iPhone when it was charging
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #29
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
More like Apple wants to gather as much evidence as possible for the inevitable multi-million dollar lawsuit that's going to be brought against them, even though Apple already knows the chance of their iPhone/charger causing her death is astronomical.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I'm pretty sure I was shocked while charging my phone last month in Korea.. I was using a standard USB cable but charging it with the old PC that was in the hotel room... My phone has charge contacts on the side for a cradle charger, and when I touched it I got zapped. It wasn't painful, but definitely... shocking... I assume there is something fucked up on the old PC, probably not grounded properly or something. Scary to think that it could have been worse
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

There is a scary amount of half-truths and misinformation regarding electrical safety here.

Voltage is definitely a factor in case of an electric shock. All the textbooks that have been saying 25mA is enough to kill someone assumes that a full 25mA reaches something vital, like the heart.

Your body is a natural resistor, if the amperage is high and the voltage is low, your skin will dissipate a large portion of the energy as heat before the remaining power will penetrate through it. If your voltage is high, the less energy gets dissipated while it travels through your skin and into your body.

In other words, you need significantly more energy at low voltage to electrocute someone than high voltage. Where does the energy go if it is dissipated? It becomes electrical burns and other not as serious electrical injuries.

With the two factors voltage and current, we have watt, which is voltage * current. But watt is a unit of power, a transfer rate of energy, not an actual quantity of energy.

For all those who pay their electrical bills would know the term kWh. That is a measure of units of energy, it is multiplied by power * time. This determines if the electrical shock has sufficient energy to traverse all the way to your heart before it is completely dissipated by the rest of your body.

You can have a 10,000v 1A shock, but if it's only for a microsecond, it will be completely dissipated by your skin and muscles before it reaches anywhere near your heart. You would have nasty jolt, but that is it. This principle works the same for static shocks (along with a bunch of other factors such air resistance and what not).

So there you have it, amps itself won't kill you, it's a mixture of voltage, amperage time and electrical type (AC or DC)

Last edited by Geoc; 07-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Just bought a replacement charger on eBay from China... Now I'm nervous. Granted, it's not for iPhone, but Android, and I bought it solely for the USB-microUSB cable.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
update:

It is actually a iphone4, not iphone5, the charger is non-oem. However, the police investigator shows the charger and the cable are in good condition, there are several burn mark on the phone itself. Apple has nothing to say about this incident.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #34
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Did anyone expect this article to be about a flight attendant getting electrocuted while on an air plane?
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Electricity was the one part of physics I really had problems understanding back in high-school/university...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
update:

It is actually a iphone4, not iphone5, the charger is non-oem. However, the police investigator shows the charger and the cable are in good condition, there are several burn mark on the phone itself. Apple has nothing to say about this incident.
Well there you have it, some defective made in China charger.

Did the police investigator OPEN up the charger itself? It might be fried.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #37
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

I weld with a 50A machine and don't even wear gloves.

this whole thing seem laughable to me.

even if China uses 220V the tiny wire inside an iphone cable woulda melted away before killing anyone. more than likely she stepped out of a shower dripping wet, grabbed her phone while it was plugged in, water ran down the cable and into the outlet. Boyfriend dries her off tries to sue Apple.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #38

bunch of bullshit...no way a 5v discharge will kill anyone! she took crack!
AeroK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #39
RS controls my life!

She should of had a Lifeproof case, they claim to be shock proof.

iPhone Cases and iPad Cases | LifeProof
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm pretty sure I was shocked while charging my phone last month in Korea.. I was using a standard USB cable but charging it with the old PC that was in the hotel room... My phone has charge contacts on the side for a cradle charger, and when I touched it I got zapped. It wasn't painful, but definitely... shocking... I assume there is something fucked up on the old PC, probably not grounded properly or something. Scary to think that it could have been worse
Korean sockets run on 220v. That's why their plugs are designed a lot more hardcore in terms of hard-to-get-at than north American ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renxo View Post
She should of had a Lifeproof case, they claim to be shock proof.

iPhone Cases and iPad Cases | LifeProof
Wrong kind of shock.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #41

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
So Apple has a charger trade-in program on. Bring in your no-name USB charger to Apple and they will dispose of it and give you a new Apple charger for $10 (regular price $19).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Finish reading all the electrical engineer posts on here, click over to facebook and the first thing in my news feed is this:

Quote:
Vancouver Career College · Suggested Post
Demand for electricians and other trades professionals has skyrocketed in BC.

Train for a great career with help from the Construction Electrician Foundation program.
Vancouver Career College of Trades, Business, Healthcare, Hospitality, Tourism, ECE & Legal
Learn the fundamentals of the electrical trade at Vancouver Career College!
Like · · Share · 106291 · · Sponsored