REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Catalytic converter theft (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686419-catalytic-converter-theft.html)

Gh0stRider 07-18-2013 01:55 PM

Catalytic converter theft

Quote:

The New Westminster Police have recently observed an increase in the theft of catalytic converters from vehicles and would like to offer prevention tips to the public.

A catalytic converter is an emissions-control device attached to a vehicle’s exhaust system which converts toxic exhaust gases to less harmful emissions. These devices have become increasing popular items for thieves as they contain precious metals such as platinum. They can be stolen in a matter of minutes and are generally sold to less savoury scrap metal dealers for small amounts of cash. It should be noted that the replacement cost to owners and insurance companies for replacement converters is significant.

The NWPD have noted that most of the recent thefts are happening overnight, and Toyota vehicles are almost exclusively being targeted – particularly trucks or SUV style vehicles with higher ground clearance allowing easier access to thieves. There does not seem to be a location pattern for these thefts other than the fact that most have occurred with vehicles parked in unsecured, easy access areas such as the street or open parking lots.

The following steps are recommended to make it more difficult for thieves to steal these items:

Where possible or available, park vehicles in secured parking areas as opposed to street or open area parking.
If street or open area parking is your only option, try to park in well lit areas, or stalls close to entrances or areas with increased vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Be aware of suspicious persons loitering in parking lots or other unsecured areas where vehicles are parked. Call Police should you be concerned that someone is acting suspicious in these areas or about to commit a theft from a vehicle.
If you own an SUV or truck style vehicle with high ground clearance, consider speaking with your local vehicle maintenance garage about low cost options for securing or alarming your vehicle against catalytic converter or other thefts from your vehicle.
It is believed that this crime is significantly underreported as victims generally take their vehicles directly to a garage for repairs. In an attempt to identify suspects, the NWPD Criminal Intelligence Unit is reviewing all recent and new catalytic converter theft files, and all victims of such thefts are encouraged to make a police report.
NWPD issue warning after recent increase in catalytic converter thefts from vehicles

:ahwow:

Gridlock 07-18-2013 02:12 PM

Why just Toyota?

And, as an aside...:okay: has to be New West. We can't take the bad press.

Iceman-19 07-18-2013 02:57 PM

Probably based on the size of their cats, or the precious metals they use. Not sure if they are different, but the big ones fetch good cash.

snails 07-18-2013 03:00 PM

^ same reason dodge diesel trucks were recently hit, they are easily accessible and common! time for everyone to slam their vehicles!

bloodline129 07-18-2013 03:15 PM

good thing u could barely get a hand under my 350 :P

Euro7r 07-18-2013 05:03 PM

Moar LOW! :fuckyea:

Gh0stRider 07-18-2013 05:14 PM

a reason to lower your car now :p

AVS_Racing 07-18-2013 07:53 PM

what catalytic converter :pokerface::lawl:

Volvo-brickster 07-18-2013 08:09 PM

mines in my garage

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/33olfuo.jpg[/img]

Zedbra 07-18-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVS_Racing (Post 8284441)
what catalytic converter :pokerface::lawl:

Mine must have been 'stolen' as well. At least they were kind enough to straight pipe it for me. :seriously:

narfy 07-18-2013 09:44 PM

i've been dealing with an increased amount of stolen catalytic converter theft claims on 3rd gen 4runners recently... so many, that ICBC just about has them pre-written for me, almost accurately!!

NKC ONE 07-18-2013 10:10 PM

Officer: Sir your car is too loud and releasing toxic gasses. I have reason to believe that you illegally modified your exhaust system. I'm giving you an inspection ticket.

Me: Oh no officer, didn't you hear? People are stealing cats off cars now and i'm a victim.

fliptuner 07-19-2013 01:15 AM

My neighbor just picked up some expanded metal mesh for me to encase the midsection of his 4Runner. It's not worth it for him to go through dealing with ICBC and paying a $300 deductible.

JordanLee 07-19-2013 01:45 AM

My moms 1999 4Runner got hit a year ago. So choked too because they cut the fuckin midpipe with it too so my dad had to replace the entire section rather than just buying the cat. He made sure those bastards didnt get it again and fabbed this gigantic "skid plate" underneath.

subordinate 07-19-2013 06:30 AM

Fuark.
The fines should be higher or license revoked for buying shady cats/metal. Damn yards.

I remember when both trucks had the bed doors taken out (3 years ago? when they were at an all time high). I was just choked & surprised the cats weren't taken.

Other than building a metal cover for the entire bottom or lowering it, what else can someone really do?

Block the entrance with really noisy things?

melloman 07-19-2013 07:01 AM

Happened alot in Burnaby all over about a year to 2 years ago.

2 neighbours got hit, and my cousins buddy got hit. All Toyotas, either pickups or 4runners.

Seems like they're hitting a new region. :pokerface:

GLOW 07-19-2013 07:46 AM

my coworker's 4runner got hit a few years back...but he lived in surrey central :pokerface:

SumAznGuy 07-19-2013 08:15 AM

Didn't this happen to Murdoc's 4runner a few years ago?

death_blossom 07-20-2013 07:20 AM

catalytic converter theft has been going on for the past 3-4 years I believe. it comes and goes in waves.

I agree with the comments that the wreckers and scrap metal shops should not be buying these, the same way they don't buy copper.

dared3vil0 07-20-2013 09:38 AM

T4RAWR, better lower your 4Runner so no cat theft. :troll: :lawl:

T4RAWR 07-20-2013 02:45 PM

i have an answer for cat theft

:troll:

dared3vil0 07-20-2013 02:55 PM

You're going to throw eyes at the thief...? :troll: :lawl:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8...5576cb60_z.jpg

Boostaholic 07-20-2013 07:13 PM

I have a cat in my garage off a 93 mustang that I have no use of. where can I sell it for the scrap precious metal?

Kidnapman 07-20-2013 08:19 PM

^^^ I wonder where you got that from :troll:

Gridlock 07-21-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_blossom (Post 8285391)
catalytic converter theft has been going on for the past 3-4 years I believe. it comes and goes in waves.

I agree with the comments that the wreckers and scrap metal shops should not be buying these, the same way they don't buy copper.

Not quite sure how the scrappers work?

You can totally sell copper. You always will be able to sell copper. Why? Because there are a ton of legit reasons that people sell copper to scrappers.

What is done now is that if you show up with an obviously stolen supply of something**, they should refuse to buy.

**there are things that are obviously stolen. A guy coming in on a bike should not have normal access to high power transmission line or telephone line or what have you.

But here's the problem. One, these scrappers aren't exactly the starbucks of the industrial park. They are dirty places, work off a spread and don't exactly believe in customer service. If they refuse to buy, then someone else will(here's looking at you place right below the Patullo Bridge). Oh, and their supplier base are dirt bags on stolen bicycles. I was there one day and this guy was talking about borrowing an extra $10 and coming back that afternoon with more metal to pay for it. I'm sorry...but this is your job? A scrap metal pawn shop for drug users? Pass.

If you go in with a supply of metal over $100 or so, they record your license, your license plate and now they even pay you in a check.