REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

911 Dispatch - Any Insight?

Hi guys,

I have been invited to a critical testing session for a telecommunications operator with the city and I'm wondering if anyone has gone thru this or knows anything about it.

I was trying to find information online and it was saying that the application process is concentrates on but is not limited to: previous employment, education, neighborhood inquiries, friends and associates, character reference, personal finances (what?!?!?!?) and drug and alcohol use.

I mean isn't that kind of stepping over the boundaries a lil bit? Especially with the personal finance thing ... I mean WTF.
And the drug and alcohol use, I am not a drug user but I do drink alcohol and like to have a drink or two after work.

Anyway any info anyone would have would be great! Oh! I also received a pardon for something I did when I was 17 but I went and got the pardon when I was like 25 or 26 (I'm 31 now) do you think all that shows up?
Advertisement
tomatogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
You are applying for a job which requires the strictest level of confidence as you will have access to extremely sensitive data in your position as a dispatch operator.

I'm sure you read that one of the qualifications required for employment will be the ability to receive and maintain an enhanced security clearance issued by the RCMP.

Generally speaking you will be subjected to a thorough background check where they will go through every aspect of your life such as those that you have listed. I cant get into any further details as to what is required but here is some publicly available information that is available on security clearances: Personnel Security Standard

Generally speaking a pardon will/should not show up on your records. However, during the investigation of your background as well as the interview process they may ask about whether or not you have been convicted of a crime previously. I'm not able to say for certain but there is a chance that this may or may not affect your employment with a government agency. I would suspect that it would be based on what the offence you committed is.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
^^ If it's for a 911-operator position.. your practically being hired as part of the police force. Meaning they will turn your life inside out to find out everything about you, and they'll also ask all your friends/family everything they know about you.
this probably applies too

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
They will ask about everything. When I went through for a different government agency, they called several of my high school teachers for a reference check (I used other people.)

Personal finance check is to determine if you can be bribed easily. Also, if you manage you finance well, generally you are pretty responsible. Just another check.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Sounds like you have to go through Security Clearance Level III (Top Secret). Its a pain in the ass and takes a while so don't expect to have an interview and get hired the next day.

I had to do Security Clearance Level II (Secret) and it kind of sucked....had to go through everything in the last 10 years. It was everything but the family, friend, and neighbour interviews. I had a few contract work jobs and it sucked trying to track down that information...

Start compiling now, dude.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Secret clearance is not all that bad. As long as you don't have a common name, it shouldn't take more than a couple of months.

To the OP: you're applying for a job where you'll be working with confidential information. The RCMP and by extension the public has every right to ensure that it can trust you to work with that information in a sensitive way.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Why common name?

The thing I found to be a pain in the ass was remember all the addresses I had lived at, all the jobs, contact people, and time lines, and my school....then do it for my family....AND my ex!

A lot of shit happens from age 20 to 30! I didn't realize how busy I was until I have to track it all, lol.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
my friend works for the city of surrey , they put about 15-20 people through that testing every week, and like 1% actually pass. on top of that the turnover for 911 operators is crazy high due to the stress of the job.

do the test first and if you pass, then worry about the rest.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: