REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #451
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
In response to the comments we have seen regarding the expectations of the blog and Lindsay, we would like to provide some clarity and our viewpoint. Tourism Richmond and our Board of Directors completely support Lindsay and her blog. She is discovering Richmond exactly as we had intended; as a tourist. Because some of the most memorable food experiences are often the simplest ones, we believe that not every meal needs to be a standard sit-down dinner. This blog is not meant to be a restaurant review, nor did we ever intend for the selected blogger to be an expert in the foods of every culture, but rather it is meant to tell Richmond’s story through food which includes posts about people, places, events and activities that make our city special. Lindsay has been actively engaging with our community – both in person and online through social media – and meeting the people who live, work and play in Richmond.

Lindsay is discovering the diversity of eateries in Richmond, which only highlight our uniqueness. We are thrilled with the overall support and constructive comments she receives, and are working with Lindsay to improve the blog/posts as we go. This is not an easy job by any means, as any blogger will tell you. It takes time to create the fun, witty posts that Lindsay writes and we appreciate the hard work and passion she has put into the blog thus far.

At the same time, we will not tolerate the personal attacks that are directed at Lindsay and will be removing all malicious comments off the blog in the future. Furthermore, we will be seeking appropriate action against what are deemed to be threatening comments towards Lindsay.

Tracy Lakeman, CEO
Tourism Richmond
To: all the people thinking every blog post should be on a restaurant.
Advertisement

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #452
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
yup. now everyone on rs can shut up and let her blog.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #453
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with going to the farmer's market either but the experience everyone is looking for where you buy some random groceries and then go for a picnic isn't really a viable or particularly interesting experience here. Everyone romances the concept because they did that in Spain one year or something and thinks the same magic happens here in Vancouver when that simply isn't true. Pretty much for the reasons I said before...price, quality and history. Plus you can do that maybe a month or two out of the year? I just don't think that's really part of our identify here. The Lower Mainland has never struck me as "rustic".

I expected the farmer's market to be in there somewhere. Didn't think it would be an entire post but yeah, I thought that would be on her route. I just read it and I thought it could've used a bit more background and story to the items she bought but I'm often criticized for too much detail so maybe she's got it right.

I didn't think she would've done it before buying seafood at the docks in Steveston either. To me, that's an integral part of Steveston and Richmond...just seems like a very Richmond thing to do. I guess she came on at the end of spot prawn season and maybe tourists aren't going to cook in their hotel rooms but I know a lot of people buy from there and ship back home. Finding cheap, high quality salmon down there is like winning the lottery...and quite an experience when Asians from everyone crowd around that one boat.

I don't know, just me rambling. Maybe just because we're so different in style. Maybe it's also because bread and butter is a vegetarian meal and I just don't speak that language.

Food is food, though...it doesn't matter if it's from food cart or on a 3-star table or a bought at a farmer's market.

...maybe I should write about the farmer's market and see how we differ.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #454
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Ummm...I have bought stuff at a farmer's market before and gone to watch to planes land in richmod....i wasn't the only one doing it either.

i think that is the point of the blog...along with just eating...to show the diversity of food options not matter how fancy or laymen they are...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #455
...in the world.

Just not my thing, I guess. Everyone's got their own and that's cool.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #456
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
To be fair, the last time I was in an airport on a 6 hour layover, I didn't want to leave the grounds to worry about not making it back for my flight. Plus I had to take my luggage with me, which made things awkward.

What did I do? I pulled out one of the novels I'd brought with me, found me a food court, and grabbed a quick snack 'cause I was starving (fucking Alaskan air). I very much doubt that anyone on a "6 hour layover" would be seriously interested in trekking out to the city and into a farmer's market for a nice relaxing lunch.

I'm not arguing the merits of that particular post, nor of the timbre of her general blog (although that "a tragic waste of plastic" thing about the pastries...yeesh), simply stating my reasons for agreeing with Meow on that one.
Funny enough, I actually did that in Amsterdam a few years back. Had a seven hour layover before I continued on into Berlin (would have been quicker to simply drive, I know), so me and a few friends grabbed some food at a nearby farmers market, made a little picnic, and wandered back to the airport to watch the planes takeoff and land. I've also done that here before as well. Got food from Granville Island and headed off to YVR for a couple hours. Admittedly, it's not quite the same doing it here as it would be while being in France or Italy, but at least it's doable.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #457
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
"It was our intention from the start to have a shitty blog"
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #458
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
To be fair, the last time I was in an airport on a 6 hour layover, I didn't want to leave the grounds to worry about not making it back for my flight. Plus I had to take my luggage with me, which made things awkward.

What did I do? I pulled out one of the novels I'd brought with me, found me a food court, and grabbed a quick snack 'cause I was starving (fucking Alaskan air). I very much doubt that anyone on a "6 hour layover" would be seriously interested in trekking out to the city and into a farmer's market for a nice relaxing lunch.

I'm not arguing the merits of that particular post, nor of the timbre of her general blog (although that "a tragic waste of plastic" thing about the pastries...yeesh), simply stating my reasons for agreeing with Meow on that one.
singapore, best airport food courts in the world.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #459
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
farmers market in vancouver = overpriced cheap cured meats and produce that sound fancy.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #460
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Yeah. That's my point.

Either: people on revscene are trying to start a comment flame war, which is really immature and comes across like nothing but sour grapes, OR people are doing it on your behalf using your usernames. Sadly, I'm inclined to believe the former.
I haven't visited her blog since she deleted my first and only comment about Mc Donalds.

But from the looks of it, I'm not missing much.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #461
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
I haven't visited her blog since she deleted my first and only comment about Mc Donalds.

But from the looks of it, I'm not missing much.
LOL, I didn't get to see it, requote please
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #462
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,182 Posts
Face it, Tourism Richmond has to support Lindsay's decisions. If they were to admonish her publicly, they would be, in effect, admitting that they hired the wrong person.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #463
...in the world.

Read the latest one. I wouldn't have been as kind to Guu Aberdeen, the only one that I don't care for as I've eaten at all of them.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #464
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Good post today, had no idea about Galloway Foods, definitely going to drop by soon.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote