REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #126
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

eat 365 BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #127
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
It actually bothers me that two well known local foodies (Ed & Mijune) with a huge support base didn't get it.

Instead they chose to pick two people from fucking ONTARIO when Ed lives in Richmond and knows all the great little shops to eat.

Mijune is on the British Columbia Chef’s Association Board of Director's for fuck's sake
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #128
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

I was hoping Ed would win so he could show me more of my city's best eats. I guess the objective here is to give Richmond's food scene more exposure (and promote tourism?) and the city decided that to extend their reach choosing two non-locals would be ideal. I mean they probably think that locals will probably eat at many of these places regardless since we live here and the local bloggers will... keep blogging anyways.

Btw KingDeeCee, you can't say its premeditated and rigged because it was clear from the start that only the top voted person would be guaranteed a spot in the final round (not the 2nd and 3rd runner up). Ultimately, the city has its bigger objectives and is entitled to best decide how to fulfill it. Tourist $$ = benefits BC economy.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 05-01-2012 at 08:21 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #129
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
If that was the case, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the majority of Richmond tourists are Chinese? Probably from Hong Kong?

Maybe they want someone from out of town and they get random people from Richmond to show them around?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #130
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
I was hoping Ed would win so he could show me more of my city's best eats. I guess the objective here is to give Richmond's food scene more exposure (and promote tourism?) and the city decided that to extend their reach choosing two non-locals would be ideal. I mean they probably think that locals will probably eat at many of these places regardless since we live here and the local bloggers will... keep blogging anyways.

Btw KingDeeCee, you can't say its premeditated and rigged because it was clear from the start that only the top voted person would be guaranteed a spot in the final round (not the 2nd and 3rd runner up). Ultimately, the city has its bigger objectives and is entitled to best decide how to fulfill it. Tourist $$ = benefits BC economy.
Not a fail worthy post, but I disagree
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #131
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I don't find the choice of a non-Asian, non-Richmond resident an unusual choice at all. The tourism board is looking to promote visitors of all ethnic back grounds, which an Asian resident of Richmond, reviewing almost exclusively Asian food would not do. It's like the thread in off-topic not long ago, where it was discussed how even in heavily Asian and South Asian ridings the politicians are often caucasian, because they have the ability to best appeal to all races for whatever reason.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
If that was the case, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the majority of Richmond tourists are Chinese? Probably from Hong Kong?

Maybe they want someone from out of town and they get random people from Richmond to show them around?
I think the tourism board that put this marketing ploy out probably wanted to promote non-Chinese visitors as Chinese tourists will come here regardless because there is an established Asian community, good quality of life, and some of the best Asian food outside of Asia. It's probably safe to say that when they do visit, they have friends/family that will take them to local favorites already.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not against you, I'm just trying to explain the mentality/influences that affect the board's decision-making.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I don't find the choice of a non-Asian, non-Richmond resident an unusual choice at all. The tourism board is looking to promote visitors of all ethnic back grounds, which an Asian resident of Richmond, reviewing almost exclusively Asian food would not do. It's like the thread in off-topic not long ago, where it was discussed how even in heavily Asian and South Asian ridings the politicians are often caucasian, because they have the ability to best appeal to all races for whatever reason.
But the main thing going for richmond is the ethnic diversity of the cuisine. Compare it to every other SUBURB of vancouver, and you'll see they are missing an opportunity to have someone local to promote the city and what it has to offer.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #134
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
wtf. I went through computer hell trying to vote for ed. (my comp doesn't like facebook). They just used you guys with the social media connections to market their shitty contest, etc.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #135
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
For those questioning the choice of two finalists from Ontario, you know the contest is being held by TOURISM Richmond, right?

Quote:
Tourism Richmond is a non-profit, membership – driven destination marketing organization (DMO) that promotes Richmond, British Columbia, Canada as a destination to leisure travelers, meeting planners, travel media and organizations that influence travel.
Almost certainly, the contest was designed as a tool to raise awareness of Richmond to those outside Metro Vancouver. And tourism marketing is almost always done through the eyes of a visitor, rarely a local.

I imagine those two Ontario finalists had very good interviews. Both have blogs that are well written and showcase some decent photography. That's the basic stuff.

More importantly, you wouldn't choose someone who is already an expert on Richmond. Instead you want someone with fresh eyes willing to try something new and convey the experience in a genuinely positive way.

It's a fairly basic social media-based tourism ad campaign.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
For those questioning the choice of two finalists from Ontario, you know the contest is being held by TOURISM Richmond, right?

Almost certainly, the contest was designed as a tool to raise awareness of Richmond to those outside Metro Vancouver. And tourism marketing is almost always done through the eyes of a visitor, rarely a local.

I imagine those two Ontario finalists had very good interviews. Both have blogs that are well written and showcase some decent photography. That's the basic stuff.

More importantly, you wouldn't choose someone who is already an expert on Richmond. Instead you want someone with fresh eyes willing to try something new and convey the experience in a genuinely positive way.

It's a fairly basic social media-based tourism ad campaign.
OK let's say you are visiting richmond from England. Who would you want to show you around, someone who has lived there all their life, or someone who moved there from Ontario a week ago?

I don't see why it's not so obvious for people. The winner should be an AMBASSADOR for the city, not an outsider who has never been there before.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
OK let's say you are visiting richmond from England. Who would you want to show you around, someone who has lived there all their life, or someone who moved there from Ontario a week ago?

I don't see why it's not so obvious for people. The winner should be an AMBASSADOR for the city, not an outsider who has never been there before.
I am sure the board has already discussed in detail the best way this contest should be held. Judging by their profiles, many are veterans in the tourism industry with a wealth of varied experience. It might not be obvious to you or me, but it is to them what they wanted to do here. Feel free to browse their profiles if you must, it may give you an indication of the type of people they are and what they are looking for.

Our Team | Tourism Richmond

Lastly, nobody has outright won yet. The board did provide an opportunity for a local rep to get to the final round and that was through the voting system.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #138
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I get their point of view: they want somebody to look at the city and try the food with new eyes, to "sympathize" with future tourists.

But seriously, why wouldn't you pick somebody LOCAL who knows the city inside out to represent richmond? Tourists aren't going to put a lot of spirit into people who've never been there before. They want someone who's experienced and show them all the hidden jewels.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #139
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I hate those travel books. They are useless and written by Australians.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #140
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Richmond Tourism...
in terms of food... we MIGHT have a huge density in terms of restaurants, but most places are almost the same.

Id say GOODLUCK on Alexandra St.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #141
RS controls my life!

Damn, sucks that our fellow RS brother didn't win it. I put in my votes for Ronin.

I would assume most of the top 12 candidates have a very good insight into culinary arts. In terms of Richmond's interests, the winner has to promote tourism for Richmond. Lindsay's blog has subscribers all over the world so she does appear to be a strong competitor.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #142
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

the thing is, when you visit someplace new its not always the best to get advice from tourist that go to tourist attractions. If you want to get the great feel of a city, you want to go where the locals go, the hole in the wall places that only the locals know about.

thats why i see that an outsider's point of view isn't the best view for tourism marketing, you want the local to give great insider tips of which restaurant to eat especially when you find similar restaurants around every corner

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #143
Banned By Establishment

Dropped a bomb on their FB page. The white people will probably think im whiney.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #144
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Dropped a bomb on their FB page. The white people will probably think im whiney.
I liked your bomb.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #145
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I liked your bomb.
Same. Liked it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #146
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

good bomb you planted there majin +1
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #147
SFICC-05*

Quote:
They DID give them consideration. They just didn't win.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #148
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
My perspective is the same as yours Majin... Local homegrown talent to sell Richmond. Of course we dont want our beautiful city to be misrepresented to the world. The "safe" route you can say.

Heres an outside perspective tho, have an outsider come in and write about her experiences finding places in our dump. Sure, some things will be missed, but the storytelling aspect could be a great read.

Im still stickin to my original thought, dont send the wrong person doing this job. I dont want to see a fucking wonton shootout from a real gwai lo(sorry majin, you lost your white card..hahaha)

The REAL sad part of the internet nowadays is that ANYONE with a camera/cellphone can go eat, start a blog and become a foodie in an instant

Last edited by Tim Budong; 05-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #149
Banned By Establishment

It's ok, my godmother just calls me Chinese now.

I agree with richmond food being pretty much the same everywhere though. Although I have yet to try the cheap goodies at RPM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #150
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Ed didn't win?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote