REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #226
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Yeah, that you have to resort to scamming people to pay for your leased toys.
Stay classy, Philip.

(too bad that thread got black-holed in the FC..)
Sorry all my cars were bought out except the 335i, i want a new car every 3-4 years so it's best to lease. I've never scammed anyone, i just remember selling you a lcd screen that you installed incorrectly and caused it to flicker. That was like 8 years ago? Get a life and move on. You'll never get anywhere in life living in the past. You still talk like the guy who was whining 8 years ago.

If you want to continue on, send me a PM instead of posting in other peoples threads and going off topic.
Advertisement

Last edited by BlackZRoadster; 05-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #227
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Congratulations, BlackZRoadster. You've successfully found the one and only wrong answer for "What makes food good?"
You have your opinion and i have my own on what is good food to me.

So anyone who disagrees with you needs to be put down by you?

When you are a food blogger who has a public page, i'm sure not everyone agrees with you.

Anyways, i dont want to argue with you, but i'm sure you are proud of what you do. Just need to be less agressive towards others with different opinion.

Let's leave it at that.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #228
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
That's what happens when you tell people the only way food is good is if it costs a ton of money.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #229
Hyde's Understudy

I didn't say all, I just said most good food is expensive.

Good job for qualifying in the top 3 though, you beat most of the competition. By that fact I should stop debating about food with you.

I l
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #230
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
NO
most of the best food i've had in fact wasn't expensive

Food is a culture. I hate how some people just HAVE to think that good food is expensive when it isnt.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #231
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Expensive ingredients can taste good and make good food. An idiot can also make them taste like ass. Having expensive ingredients does not make good food. But good food can be made out of less costly ingredients as well.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #232
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Sometimes the most expensive food is horrible tasting, bland, or at least pointlessly expensive. Re: shark fin, abalone, anything with truffle oil
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #233
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

simple is always good in my books

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #234
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Yeah, that you have to resort to scamming people to pay for your leased toys.
Stay classy, Philip.

(too bad that thread got black-holed in the FC..)
coles notes?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #235
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Sometimes the most expensive food is horrible tasting, bland, or at least pointlessly expensive. Re: shark fin, abalone, anything with truffle oil
YES. Fuck everything about sharkfin, etc. Shark fin is nothing but a bunch of "BlackZRoadsters" thinking they are eating 'good food'. Shark Fin is NOT good food.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #236
...in the world.

It's a real shame they don't just make the delicious broth with other stuff rather than shark fin. Seriously, it's the broth that makes that dish, not the shark fin. The fin is mostly tasteless and I could do without the texture if it was replaced with something else.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #237
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
I actually much prefer the crab meat and fish maw soup over shark fin soups during chinese dinner banquets
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #238
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
YES. Fuck everything about sharkfin, etc. Shark fin is nothing but a bunch of "BlackZRoadsters" thinking they are eating 'good food'. Shark Fin is NOT good food.
I actually like sharks fin soup, but i don't eat it ever since i found out how cruel and inhumane it is.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #239
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
It's a real shame they don't just make the delicious broth with other stuff rather than shark fin. Seriously, it's the broth that makes that dish, not the shark fin. The fin is mostly tasteless and I could do without the texture if it was replaced with something else.
You probably have tried "immitation shark fin soup"? I find those are quite a good substitute.

I actually like thick snake soup, try the place in empire food court. They are pretty good but sold out by afternoon.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #240
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
anything with truffle oil
Especially considering the fact that truffle oil is mostly synthetic and probably doesn't contain ONE molecule that comes from a real truffle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/di...truf.html?_r=1
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #241
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
I feel like i'm just throwing gasoline on a fire.. but just to clarify, the ingredients CAN make a HUGE difference on the food.
It's obviously not true that all expensive food is good, or that all cheap food is bad, but I think BlackZ is just saying that there are a lot of times where, to have the best food, you need to pay a higher price, and the higher price comes partially from the quality of the ingredients used.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #242
Hyde's Understudy

^ exactly.

When people ask where is the best sushi, probably 8 out of 10places listed are nice places that arent cheap.
Where is the best steak? Most times Gothams, Hy's is mentioned, and they aren't cheap.
Best Chinese Dim sum? Sea Harbour is my favorite and it's not cheap.
Best French Restaurant? Le Crocodile, and again it ain't cheap.

Again, people can disagree, but i'm just saying whenever you hear "good food" most people would associate it with fine dining or nice places with higher prices.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #243
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
No, I think when you hear good food you think fine dining. When I think good food, I think something that satisfies. Fine dining is often an acquired taste, something that needs to be tasted into. If you got ten random people to taste the difference between keg prime rib and Gotham's, I'm not sure they'd all agree.

One of my dad's friends is a wine aficionado. He spends a ton of money on wine, and I got to try a few of his at a tasting. Turns out the one I liked most was a lower-middle end one. My dad likes the cheap stuff. In the end you yourself are the only one who can decide what good food means for you; what's good is just what you like.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #244
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
You probably have tried "immitation shark fin soup"? I find those are quite a good substitute.

I actually like thick snake soup, try the place in empire food court. They are pretty good but sold out by afternoon.
Well, no, I basically mean shark fin soup made at the same high level that it is WITH the shark fin but without the actual shark fin. The "imitation" shark fin soup is basically made quickly with the same ingredients but not quite the same. Actual shark fin soup's broth is thick and rich.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #245
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
^ exactly.

When people ask where is the best sushi, probably 8 out of 10places listed are nice places that arent cheap.
Where is the best steak? Most times Gothams, Hy's is mentioned, and they aren't cheap.
Best Chinese Dim sum? Sea Harbour is my favorite and it's not cheap.
Best French Restaurant? Le Crocodile, and again it ain't cheap.

Again, people can disagree, but i'm just saying whenever you hear "good food" most people would associate it with fine dining or nice places with higher prices.
Which would be wrong.

You're right in that expensive food is usually good. That's a no brainer. Restaurants that charge high prices can usually justify those prices with good food and the ones that can't aren't in business very long.

HOWEVER, you're saying that only expensive food is good...that food has to be expensive to be good, which is ridiculous. Yes, great steaks are expensive but as I said, one of the best steaks I've ever had cost $5. Food doesn't HAVE to be expensive to be good. Heck, the best sushi I've ever had...heads and shoulders above anything I've ever had here in Vancouver (haven't been to Tojo) was $30.

Fine dining means table cloths and waiters that tell me I've made a good choice, SIR, not that the food is better than a cheap hole in the wall.

And the argument falls apart when you get to food where it is NEVER expensive. I don't mean like...hot dogs and burgers because I've eaten a $100 burger but what about when you head to Asia? Are you going to tell me none of that food is good because none of it costs more than $10?

I apologize that I was a bit rude earlier but still, I can't begin to tell you how wrong this is. You're right that high quality ingredients make better food but it isn't necessary. Hell, if you asked me tomorrow to make a stew with wagyu, I'd tell you you'd save money AND make a better dish with cheap shoulder cuts.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #246
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
No, I think when you hear good food you think fine dining. When I think good food, I think something that satisfies. Fine dining is often an acquired taste, something that needs to be tasted into. If you got ten random people to taste the difference between keg prime rib and Gotham's, I'm not sure they'd all agree.

One of my dad's friends is a wine aficionado. He seems ends a ton of money on wine, and I got to try a few of his at a tasting. Turns out the one I liked most was a lower-middle end one. My dad likes the cheap stuff. In the end you yourself are the only one who can decide what good food means for you; what's good is just what you like.
Good food to me is "Oh man, this is awesome, I want more of this in my face right the fuck now."

Doesn't matter if it's hand made pasta with sea urchin and caviar dusted with truffles or a chili cheese dog. Good food is good food.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #247
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Good food to me is "Oh man, this is awesome, I want more of this in my face right the fuck now."

Doesn't matter if it's hand made pasta with sea urchin and caviar dusted with truffles or a chili cheese dog. Good food is good food.
u nailed it.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #248
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

This thread reminds me of Anthony Bourdain for some reason. He knows what good food is.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #249
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
This thread reminds me of Anthony Bourdain for some reason. He knows what good food is.
he also understands food culture
makes a world of a difference
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #250
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:

Exactly.

Good food could be that bowl of Pho at Phnom Penh, at 5am, after a long night of drinking. It could be the Double Quarter Pounder Meal + 20 Piece nuggets with Big Mac sauce, after a sesh. Or, It could just be the 6 Strips of Bacon, and 4 eggs in the morning with a cup of coffee.

I'm surprised Hyde hasn't shown up in this thread, talking about how he wont eat anything that isn't covered in shaved gold.

Back on topic though.
I'm totally expecting these girls to react like this when they eat in Richmond.

Last edited by SpuGen; 05-08-2012 at 03:09 AM.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote