REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
^ Depends on how old or what type of system you have. As I mentioned before, most systems these days support mobile phones and devices such as iPads which mean they're networked and can be viewed online.
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm genuinely curious why people have security cameras in their house...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #28
Waxin’ Punks

Not many people do. However, some people have extremely valuable items in/around their homes.. insurance companies offer better rates to people with heightened security measures. Some people just like cool technology and want to show people their car in the garage on their iPhone.. people have their reasons, for some it just brings a certain peace of mind knowing they can log in and see what's happening at home or if there is a break in that police may have a better chance of catching the bastards.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by punkwax; 08-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #29
Director of RS Cares

@lomac We have them outside the house for our own personal sense of security. Plus my parents travel 5-6 months out of the year so being able
go with their house in the palm of their hands sits much better with them. Seems like a good reason to me!

And thanks nod for the help!

Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Fair enough. I suppose it's not much different than me having a dashcam in my car.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Fair enough. I suppose it's not much different than me having a dashcam in my car.
You know, in case a russian kid tries to accidentally slip and fall on your sidewalk....or hurl himself on your roof like your house hit him.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #32
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
@lomac We have them outside the house for our own personal sense of security. Plus my parents travel 5-6 months out of the year so being able
go with their house in the palm of their hands sits much better with them. Seems like a good reason to me!

And thanks nod for the help!

Posted via RS Mobile
If you want to save $60
give this a shot first.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mCamView&hl=en

free app for ip cams.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #33
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Rsx you are really good with your sharing..
I would like to admire your suggestion..
Keep it up...
RobDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Monitored or not? Is the house pre-wired for a security system? If it is, you can purchase a system and install it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Not if you want it monitored...
Posted via RS Mobile
Not necessarily true. Companies like ADT will insist on installing their own equipment (then locking you into a long-term contract with stiff early-cancellation penalties and high-pressure sales), but there are plenty of companies that will provide monitoring services for an existing alarm. We've subbed Accurate Alarms' monitoring for some clients, for example, and there's those "1-866-247-4999" commercials all over the radio, who will handle monitoring for $10/mo.

Physically installing an alarm is generally pretty straightforward, although there's not a lot of retail availability of *quality* equipment (most of it is wholesale). Where it can get tricky is programming the system, as a lot of them require things like programming workbooks and if you're lucky, a minimal one-line LCD display to help you along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
IIRC Soundy does something related to this; you may want to PM him, he might be able to refer you or give you a hand.
Thanks for the plug I actually specialize in camera and surveillance systems; I've done the odd alarm, but I hate them, particularly because the programming is a pain in the arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
noob question: what good is an alarm if it's not monitored?

I always thought the purpose of an alarm is to have "A voice come on and speak to the intruder". I may have heard one too many ALARMFORCE commercials to end up at this thought.
We had Alarm Force once when we were renting, many years ago. It was a good deal for us at the time, renting in an unwired townhouse, where installation of a wired system would have cost a bundle. Note that their "free" system includes only one door sensor and one motion sensor, and you pay extra if you need additional sensors. I know most old-school alarm guys hate them because they don't "get" the model, but it definitely has its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Honestly, I think people really need to reconsider their level of security needs.
This is definitely true - people will just run out and buy stuff and slap it in without really evaluating needs, circumstances, or coverage, and then are surprised when it's ineffective.

Quote:
I find cameras useless. We have 2 buildings within sight of each other. One with cameras, and one without. The one with cameras gets more bullshit(tbh, it also has underground, or "concrete car rape zone") and no one ever cares that there are cameras.
I have some sweet video of a guy james bonding his way through a small window and having his way with a motorcycle.
Most people make the mistake of thinking that cameras will prevent crime... in most cases, this is not true. I have tons of video of perps doing their thing in full view of one or more cameras, either because they become oblivious to them, indifferent to them, or they're just stupid.

However, cameras CAN and SHOULD be capable of aiding in tracking down and prosecuting criminals. Unfortunately, I see a LOT of systems that use shitty equipment that's poorly installed that get wonderfully fuzzy shots of the tops of people's heads, and the like... again, slapped in without evaluating needs, circumstances, or coverage.

In retail, we've seen a lot of successful prosecution thanks to our cameras... theft, fraud, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcLiPsEbOi View Post
I was pretty much saying that I checked and it looks like I have wiring for the keypads (main floor & upstairs not sure about basement) and motion sensors (main floor). I don't really want cameras unless it's not much more but I guess I'll find out. After this long weekend, I am going to be giving ADT and VanFire/Radius Security a call. For some reason AlarmForce didn't interest me.
AlarmForce doesn't use existing wiring; they have their own wireless equipment that they slap in. ADT should be avoided at all costs unless you like being raped up the ass. I haven't dealt with Radius but I know several business who use them, and at least haven't bitched about them. We've subbed a lot of installation and monitoring work to Accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I'm genuinely curious why people have security cameras in their house...
IN... no idea. AROUND... well in my case, to watch for hinky activity out on the street. When they were building a park across the street, I was able to provide the contractor with a license plate and video of the SUV that destroyed about a week's worth of work by ripping around the grounds at 3am. Cameras on the front and back doors have been handy to see when potential buyers come and go since we're selling the place It's also nice to be able to see who's at the door before running all the way downstairs only to be greeted with "Have you read our magazine, The Watchtower?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #35
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Not necessarily true. Companies like ADT will insist on installing their own equipment (then locking you into a long-term contract with stiff early-cancellation penalties and high-pressure sales), but there are plenty of companies that will provide monitoring services for an existing alarm. We've subbed Accurate Alarms' monitoring for some clients, for example, and there's those "1-866-247-4999" commercials all over the radio, who will handle monitoring for $10/mo
If its a standard industry brand, sure, another company will monitor. But if its some no name stuff someone bought and installed themselves, I don't think any company would touch it. More about quality of materials/installation and potential false alarm nightmares more than it is about sales at that point.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #36
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thought i'd chime on here. Recently bought a townhouse with no alarm system. I'm moving from a condo with an unmonitored alarm.
Moving this w/e after 2 weeks of renovation. We debated on what type of system we wanted (monitored/unmonitored). We eventually decided to go with unmonitored. I will be installing a swann wireless alarm system SW347-WA2. I know there are limitations to this system but for $150 (i think) why not try it. It's more of alerting us when the garage door and main door is opened.
I'm also installing the skylink hub HU-434 with garage door opener. This was mainly to use with the garage opener but it also has an option to add a wireless ip camera which I might add on later. The camera gives me a live feed through my S3 or pc at work.
Will update when I get up and running if any of you guys are curious.
funkychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

just Pinging into the situation now as im justing finding out about this. Im the Network Administrator for Vancouver Fire/Radius Security. ive seen first hand how the monitoring station and police get along. since i started with the company working with the remote guarding and VAV departments, i can answer almost any question you have regarding this.

VAV is definitly the way to go if you can afford it, the 2 that are the best right now are Videofied/RSI and IViewNow.

Videofied uses a MotionViewer Setup, where the camera is integrated into motion sensor, the whole system is wireless and can use GSM/Ethernet/Phone to communicate with the central station, the picture that is transmitted is not the best in the world, but it allows you to verify the alarm

IView is a DVR (almost any is compatible) that is wired into the alarm system and setup to operate when your existing motion sensor goes off. it requires alot more work, but the picture that can come out of it is amazing

if you are looking at a commercial setup, video analytics is the way to go, it only alerts when the software determines a problem and sends the recorded video to you

if your looking to just put cameras in, dlink makes this cloudview enabled devices that works amazing. i use it personally for protecting a shop i store my cars at, and bang for buck is amazing... they only need power, they can run connected or wirelessly, and are day/night
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
My house is prewired for an alarm (windows, doors, motion sensors, and smoke alarms)
I'm looking to get an unmonitored system that I will be installing myself (I have the electrical experience)
I also want to add 1 to 2 cameras for the front and back of my house, as well I would ideally like the system to text or call my cell phone if it is triggered.

Can anyone one suggest a set up that would work for my needs and/or where to buy the needed equipment. local or online, it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks!
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #39

Honeywell makes the HRG/HRDP Performance Series DVRs they retail for about 400$ have 4 channel in, 500gb hd, vga, spot monitor, and motion sensing capability, you will have to play with it, but its a pretty decent unit, bonus marks for being fully capable with Iview, you will also need a camera, and the Honeywell HD30 is a good dome indoor outdoor camera for about 130$ each, add a couple of hundred feet of Coax Cable with BNC Connectors and your setup and running
Old 12-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ IP cameras and NVRs is where its at nowadays
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #41

had the urge to install some ip cams around the house as well but the thought of someone hacking in and watching everything I do kind of turned me off. Its cool that you can watch it anytime and from anywhere but if my wife can see what i'm doing at home when she's out then

I'm so paranoid that I don't even have any web cams around and I stick a piece of tape over webcams on laptops.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
had the urge to install some ip cams around the house as well but the thought of someone hacking in and watching everything I do kind of turned me off. Its cool that you can watch it anytime and from anywhere but if my wife can see what i'm doing at home when she's out then
Then you don't connect the system to the internet. If the cameras are just connected directly to the NVR and nothing else, there's nowhere for anyone else to hack in.

Quote:
I'm so paranoid that I don't even have any web cams around and I stick a piece of tape over webcams on laptops.
Maybe you should get your wife one of these for Christmas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #43
Waxin’ Punks

I actually heard a story about an executive who got busted cheating because he had cams in his house. Not that he brought a girl home, but he would tell his wife he went to bed early each night she was out of town. She checked the video and he was coming home 3AM consistently when she was gone. Guess the truth came out as a result..

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #44
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
Sorry for the hijack.
Anyone have experience with internet based monitoring systems? I don't want to get a home phone just for monitoring!

So far I've found nextalarm and themonitoringcenter
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #45
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
...on this whole monitoring bit.. I've got a home alarm with monitoring... BUT in any case - the thieves or whomever that broke in have at least a 10 min window before any sort of response arrives to the house.. is that not the case?

I pay $20 a month for monitoring but it kinda sux cuz I would LOVE to eliminate my landline... I will ask my 'alarm guy' on my options.
Acura604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #46

yea i have, we use AES and DSC enabled internet alarm systems, they check in every day and work pretty well, Video Alarm Verified raises your priority with the police so that they show up in 5 minutes instead of whenever.
for most companies, they want you to have the system with a backup, either landline or GSM. unfortunately most voip lines can communicate in the frequency that the panel talks on.