REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Escaped Boa Constrictor kills two children in New Brunswick (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686997-escaped-boa-constrictor-kills-two-children-new-brunswick.html)

PeanutButter 08-05-2013 10:39 AM

Escaped Boa Constrictor kills two children in New Brunswick

Quote:

2 children dead after snake escapes N.B. urban zoo - New Brunswick - CBC News

Two children died after a large snake got into an apartment in Campbellton, N.B.

The snake is believed to have gotten loose from an urban zoo called Reptile Ocean. The victims were reportedly five and seven years old. They were in the apartment above the zoo.

Initial reports suggest the snake was a boa constrictor. CBC is trying to confirm the details.

"The city is in shock," said Deputy Mayor Ian Comeau.

He added that the giant snakes have only been legally imported since 2009.

Police have not yet commented on the case, and it's not yet clear how the snake escaped.
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/to...le-zoo-620.jpg

Spidey 08-05-2013 10:41 AM

wtf. who would live in an apartment above a "zoo". thing looks more like a pet shop

Tr1ll 08-05-2013 10:58 AM

Can the owner of the snake be held criminally responsible?

hillmar 08-05-2013 11:03 AM

Doesn't look like a zoo at all.... I'm sure everything is for sale in there!!
Posted via RS Mobile

Energy 08-05-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1ll (Post 8295169)
Can the owner of the snake be held criminally responsible?

Not criminally unless he had intent but he might be found negligent.

Spidey 08-05-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8295186)
Not criminally unless he had intent but he might be found negligent.

Under the Criminal Code of Canada, there is something called Criminal Negligence, so yes he/she COULD be charged criminally (depending on the circumstances)

Criminal Negligence

219. (1) Every one is criminally negligent who

(a) in doing anything, or

(b) in omitting to do anything that it is his duty to do,

shows wanton or reckless disregard for the lives or safety of other persons.

Gridlock 08-05-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8295187)
Under the Criminal Code of Canada, there is something called Criminal Negligence, so yes he/she COULD be charged criminally (depending on the circumstances)

Criminal Negligence

...and in Canada, enjoy paying that fine, eh?

Spidey 08-05-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8295192)
...and in Canada, enjoy paying that fine, eh?

Agreed.

Energy 08-05-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8295187)

Criminal Negligence

Thanks for this. You're right, I totally forgot about s.219 and it was on my final too :badpokerface:

Spidey 08-05-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8295209)
Thanks for this. You're right, I totally forgot about s.219 and it was on my final too :badpokerface:

lol, tsk tsk!

bing 08-05-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8295163)
wtf. who would live in an apartment above a "zoo". thing looks more like a pet shop

The owner? who lives on top of a convenience store?

twitchyzero 08-05-2013 07:14 PM

RIP

I wonder if they were only suffocated to death or actually eaten... :okay:

dlo 08-05-2013 07:17 PM

you get suffocated first than eaten...

twitchyzero 08-05-2013 07:20 PM

yeah but Boa don't usually eat medium-sized mammals...but I guess they were small children:cry:

Nlkko 08-05-2013 08:57 PM

Dont think they were eaten as bodies were found. They were probably attacked as the snake felt threaten.

threezero 08-05-2013 10:07 PM

Read somewhere it's a rock python. If so they are the biggest python in the world. Really sad story but I hope this doesn't get mis reported and bring ever more restriction and bad press to the hobby. If kept properly there should be no chance for the snake to escape. Aka this is a complete human error
Posted via RS Mobile

nah 08-05-2013 10:26 PM

Geez the thing was 15 ft!

15-feet long African rock python escapes from pet store, kills two boys (age 5 and 7) : TreeHugger

threezero 08-05-2013 11:02 PM

15 ft is just average for rock python. Some have been known to reach 20ft plus.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hurricane 08-06-2013 06:28 AM

Something sounds a little fishy here.

I think there is going to more to this story when the dust settles.

Its just not all adding up. I don't think its even possible for a snake to kill two 'prey' at once. Also, were they in a soundproof room? Not a single scream?

Granted, I have never seen a 15 ft Rock Python go after a kid, so I can't speak from experience. Maybe he smelled food on them from dinner, and wrapped them both up in one big bundle.

Interesting that the son of the snakes owner was safely asleep in another room without his friends. Isn't being together the whole point of sleepovers?

Either way RIP

melloman 08-06-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nah (Post 8295483)

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/i...crop-smart.jpg
Quote:

Above is an African rock python stretching (!) to consume an antelope in South Africa...
:pokerface:

threezero 08-06-2013 06:53 AM

Something definitely smells fishy. A python big enough to kill 7 years old are super heavy and it's impossible for them to climb up on ventilation. Snakes also don't just go on killing spree. If they killed it they will eat it. Interested to see official autopsy.
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 08-06-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8295589)
Something definitely smells fishy. A python big enough to kill 7 years old are super heavy and it's impossible for them to climb up on ventilation. Snakes also don't just go on killing spree. If they killed it they will eat it. Interested to see official autopsy.
Posted via RS Mobile

Kids were playing with animals at a farm all day. The animal smell was still on them so they smelt like prey to the snake.

dangonay 08-06-2013 11:33 AM

^ Agree, something's fishy. Pythons apparently bite to get a grip then wrap around to constrict. I find it odd that a child wouldn't get one scream out before being wrapped up. And what about the second child? Did they sleep through it then get attacked? Or did they get wrapped up "by accident" together by the python (which seems unlikely to me)?

Pythons also will try to retreat if threatened or bite then retreat. They don't constrict/kill as self defense.

Autopsy will be very interesting.

Edit: Meant for Threezero
Posted via RS Mobile

Jmac 08-06-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 8295585)
Something sounds a little fishy here.

I think there is going to more to this story when the dust settles.

Its just not all adding up. I don't think its even possible for a snake to kill two 'prey' at once. Also, were they in a soundproof room? Not a single scream?

Granted, I have never seen a 15 ft Rock Python go after a kid, so I can't speak from experience. Maybe he smelled food on them from dinner, and wrapped them both up in one big bundle.

Interesting that the son of the snakes owner was safely asleep in another room without his friends. Isn't being together the whole point of sleepovers?

Either way RIP

It would probably be impossible to scream if a snake that large was crushing your torso.

bcedhk 08-06-2013 12:05 PM

http://dmmimages.smdg.ca/dmm/S/N/Sna..._Plane_002.jpg

That mutherfukin snake!