REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Climber falls to death during THE CHIEF hike - Squamish (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687006-climber-falls-death-during-chief-hike-squamish.html)

Acura604 08-05-2013 06:46 PM

Climber falls to death during THE CHIEF hike - Squamish

As one who has never climbed it, can someone comment on the dangers of this hike on the Stawamus Chief in Squamish?

Very sad to hear though.

Police seeking information after woman falls to her death on Stawamus Chief near Squamish

The Stawamus Chief is popular with hikers and climbers.
The death of a woman who fell down a steep slope while climbing The Chief in Squamish remains a mystery.

Those in the tight-knit climbing community in the Squamish area say they have yet to be told what happened to the young woman who died Sunday night while scaling The Chief.

RCMP in Squamish continue to investigate the death of the woman who somehow fell down the steep slope Sunday at about 5 p.m.

The woman was climbing alone and RCMP are asking for witnesses to come forward.

Her body was found at the first peak of the popular hiking trail.

According to Ashley Green, a co-owner of Squamish-based Climb On, the climbing community has yet to find out the name of the victim.

And she said they do not known exactly where the woman was found or how she may have slipped.

Green said they have not heard if the woman was following the popular hiking route or was climbing on her own. “We are trying to get information as well, but it seems like she was probably hiking the trail.”

Green said they do not know if the person was a local or tourist.

With the dry conditions, Green said, there is a lot of loose rock and the woman may have lost her footing.

“In that area where she fell there is a possibility of loose rock,” she said.

Green said that about five years ago a hiker died after slipping on some loose rock, but there has been nothing since then, adding: “She would have had to be in a steep place.”

The Caucasian victim, who has not yet been named, is believed to be in her late 20s or early 30s. She was described as having a medium build, blue eyes and short, curly brown hair and was wearing green shorts and a blue sports bra.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hief_RP(2).JPG

Gridlock 08-05-2013 06:51 PM

What a horrible way to go. That feeling you get that you are falling is the worst, and you'd have so much time to experience it.

Truer than most, RIP.

Purely 08-05-2013 07:00 PM

RIP

Razor Ramon HG 08-05-2013 07:04 PM

The Chief is very safe, she probably went off course.
Posted via RS Mobile

Lomac 08-05-2013 07:41 PM

Yeah, the Chief isn't a particularly difficult cliff. A bunch of my friends climb it every few weeks. Hope it wasn't anyone I know.

RIP.

TOS'd 08-05-2013 07:53 PM

And the first peak is the easiest to climb as well.

ShadowBun 08-05-2013 08:11 PM

RIP

The_Situation 08-05-2013 08:45 PM

The chief is safe but there are areas where if you choose to explore, well stuff like this can happen. RIP.

rexsomnii 08-05-2013 09:22 PM

RIP.

krazynuck 08-05-2013 09:35 PM

RIP

just did the second peak last week

Teriyaki 08-05-2013 09:52 PM

Didn't know about this. Just went up yesterday morning.

RCMP and Search and Rescue was out at the entrance of the hike though, giving everyone quick tips on how to stay safe on the hike. Handed out some emergency shelters, whistles, and emergency flash cards.

instantneedles 08-05-2013 10:25 PM

RIP. hikers, stay safe

never hike alone

LiquidTurbo 08-05-2013 10:30 PM

I hope this news doesn't discourage hikers. The Chief is very, very safe. Well marked, everything is well defined.

subordinate 08-05-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8295487)
I hope this news doesn't discourage hikers. The Chief is very, very safe. Well marked, everything is well defined.

I agree the Chief is very safe but when you're on the top (first peak),

and when I reached the top, all I could think was, what if I trip and tumble off the mountain?
Plausible imo. I remember seeing this one lady, walk closer to the edge to take a picture. All I could think of was, that isn't very smart - one slip, and that's it.

Surprised they don't know if she was climbing or hiking, or the police haven't released that info yet. If she was climbing, she'd have the climbers gear.

maxxxboost 08-05-2013 11:00 PM

The Chief is safe. But it's a mountain with steap hills, sharp rocks, loose gravel, sharp tree branches etc. Shit happens so be careful.

RIP.

AzNightmare 08-06-2013 12:33 AM

Damn... it's so scary if you ever fall.
I've looked over the edge before, but I always crawl toward it lay down flat just to peek over.
Too scared of tripping or getting bumped off by accident if I just walk up to the ledge.

essel 08-06-2013 02:39 AM

Sad to hear, I just did this 2 weeks ago. RIP.

7seven 08-06-2013 05:53 AM

I just hiked all 3 peaks on Saturday, the trail is very safe. It's when some people get to the peaks and want to venture too close to the edges for the views and pictures or venture of trail when it can get a bit sketchy.

Tr1ll 08-06-2013 12:25 PM

RIP..was just up there a couple weeks ago too

The_AK 08-06-2013 02:32 PM

Incredibly safe hike, probably looked off the edge

rip nonetheless

Sid Vicious 08-06-2013 05:12 PM

im confused, was she climbing it or hiking it? cuz if she was hiking it...dont know what the fuck she did

i.e. climb
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...chief-0105.jpg

hike
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...JmeAzd4dNHn4xA

MelonBoy 08-06-2013 07:39 PM

Only part I could think she fell off is close to the top. Not many trees and if you dont have good shoes. It can get a bit slippery. I hiked up once and saw someone at the top loose footing and slid down a bit. Luckily he stopped or he was gonna go straight down the steep side of the mountain.

It doesnt help that everyone wants a cool picture.. I see a lot of people walk close to the edge. Never a good idea in my books. Wouldnt wana risk falling off for a picutre.

StylinRed 08-06-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8295487)

I became interested in venturing up the peak because of your photos liquid :)

and I have to say this story and the one that happened several years ago got me thinking :heckno:

It's also the only real reason I'd want to venture up so I guess i'll just move it down my list if getting a good pic is risky

LiquidTurbo 08-06-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8295495)
I agree the Chief is very safe but when you're on the top (first peak),

and when I reached the top, all I could think was, what if I trip and tumble off the mountain?
Plausible imo. I remember seeing this one lady, walk closer to the edge to take a picture. All I could think of was, that isn't very smart - one slip, and that's it.

Surprised they don't know if she was climbing or hiking, or the police haven't released that info yet. If she was climbing, she'd have the climbers gear.

What if I'm walking on the sidewalk and I trip on a rock and fall into an oncoming car.

Whatever happened on the Chief was a freak accident. Thousands of people hike this thing a year.

From the sounds of it, it was a hiker. Even investigators are very puzzled.

68style 08-06-2013 11:14 PM

I wouldn't be that sad if less people went to hike the chief, place is a freaking gong show on weekends and full of all these dumb families with grandparents/dogs trying to tag along getting in the damn way! Gotta go super early!