REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
For a little extra, you can get clear plastic brackets in the top, which decrease the visibility a lot, they're more brittle than metal, but mine didn't break, so were worth the extra cost ($500 or $1k - I'm not vain, but I was willing to pony this up no question, makes a huge difference)

Invisilign are hit and miss, only good for minor movement, and I know ppl who had Invisalign for 4 yrs then needed real braces to actually do the job
Clear plastic brackets stain easily. Not recommended for coffee drinkers. I remember seeing a someone with these plastic versions and they were stained bad which looked pretty gross. Just go metal and embrace your braces. No shame in getting this treatment done.
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,938 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
9k what the fuck!?!?
U have no idea as to the level of work they did for me.

Luckily, I'm not some joker who can't afford it, my ortho came highly recommended, they did me proud (again, lots of work), and did it quickly.

Given I'm not a punk anymore, speed and lack of train tracks were important, I got both, I paid $9k, I'd do it all over again.

I'd also pay extra and not take 2 yrs like most

And, againt, I paid for a bunch of 'extras' - I did not want full train tracks in my face, took some ppl a while to realize I had braces on (the daily soup for lunch was one)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
Clear plastic brackets stain easily. Not recommended for coffee drinkers. I remember seeing a someone with these plastic versions and they were stained bad which looked pretty gross. Just go metal and embrace your braces. No shame in getting this treatment done.
I had heard that, yet I eat a lot of curry and drink a lot of tea (no coffee) - didn't stain at all.

The bands stain (so get the grey ones), but my clear brackets saw no staining whatsoever - I was pleasantly surprised
Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

Dr. Lim at richmond does a pree good job too. Finished my braces in 2 years ish, now on my retainers
OGCStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
I am pretty sure prices are somewhat standardized across the board. The last thing you want to do is get a "deal" on dental, orthodontic, optometrists; anything medical for that matter. Your best bet is to go to a place where they will let you pay monthly.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The address of his "work" is in the middle of a residential housing complex...

lol
Not sure if that's accurate -- he used to be right across from the big superstore when I was going to him back in the mid 2000's

BTW, Prices are not standard. There is a set price dentists must charge for work done and that is the portion usually covered by your coverage. The amount they charge above that is variable and depends on the location/dentist you visit
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,813 Times in 1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Invisalign isn't for everyone. If you just need minor adjustments, Invisalign works great. However, if you need some major restructuring (think British teeth ), you're stuck with the more traditional metal braces.
My teeth were pretty bad and I got Invisalign. Have about 6 weeks left.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
I know ppl who had Invisalign for 4 yrs then needed real braces to actually do the job
How the hell did it take 4 years? When I got my first tray the package said 1 of 27 and I knew it was 2.5 weeks per tray. Later it was cut down to 2 weeks per tray.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:14 AM   #34
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
ive a few dentists in the family that will charge you the cost of the materials and nothing for their time if you're in a fix but you'll have to do some travelling (closest and best one is in boston) but at least you'll get a holiday out of it

feel free to pm
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
How the hell did it take 4 years? When I got my first tray the package said 1 of 27 and I knew it was 2.5 weeks per tray. Later it was cut down to 2 weeks per tray.
Just didn't work, 6 months with train tracks, teeth were perfect.

I don't know all the details, but it is first hand information - maybe she was doing something wrong, don't know... But unlikely (given this is an adult professional)
Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #36
Zombie Mod

Thanked 4,394 Times in 1,275 Posts
Cheapest option:
Spoiler!

Just don't get them wet.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I went to Dr. Daniel Cheng on Braces on Main(Main and 15th). Was about $6000, but mine took 7yrs....

The first orthodontist I met said he would have to take out 4 teeth and do jaw surgery... But Dr. Cheng said he wouldn't need to take any teeth out and doesn't need to break my jaw...

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,582 Times in 524 Posts
Quote:
My teeth were pretty bad and I got Invisalign. Have about 6 weeks left.
How is the progress for your teeth then?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #39
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Already two Simpsons references in this thread.

First thing I thought of...

''Did somebody say cheap braces!!??''
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I went to Dr. Daniel Cheng on Braces on Main(Main and 15th). Was about $6000, but mine took 7yrs....

The first orthodontist I met said he would have to take out 4 teeth and do jaw surgery... But Dr. Cheng said he wouldn't need to take any teeth out and doesn't need to break my jaw...
7 years!!! More details, that's crazy!

A first guy ($6-7k quote) wanted 4 teeth out and headgear.... Errrr no thanks.

$9k got me 1 tooth removed, no headgear, 18 months - much better option

As far as I can see, from my experience, you get what u pay for!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
How is the progress for your teeth then?
All my gaps have closed up and it only took about a year. I think it's a way better option than braces.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,301 Posts
also went to Dr. Chiang on Main when I was a kid
one of my upper central incisors grew out at 90 degrees rotated...only had braces on the top teeth
it was pricey but he did a pretty good job.
I went to another dentist to finish the work and had to wear headgear to sleep for a few month...not fun.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #43

Quote:
All my gaps have closed up and it only took about a year. I think it's a way better option than braces.
Of course it is, if ur needs are met by invisilign's abilities. Most ppl can't get invisilign - no way it would have worked for me, but if it does, fuck yes do it!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #44
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I dont think theres such a thing as cheap orthodontics...it all depends on how much work is needed
Dr. Melnik at Eagle orthodontics in metrotown
I paid 6k but with a payment plan...you really dont notice the huge cost.
Looking back at my molds....Im shocked on what he was able to do...very professional nice and observant.

Every ortho gives estimates...go in for one and dont be concerned about price..listen to see who can you look better.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,928 Times in 965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post

you dun goofed if it took you 7 years... Did you not wear your rubber bands?? had the same Doctor too

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #46
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,026 Posts

Dr.Daniel Cheng. I had him... for eleven years. I kid you not.
At one point, I was really tempted to just ask him if I was his longest patient ever... but I didn't want to make it sound like a joke.

I know several people that went with him, and they all told me he takes a long time,
although no one ever beats my record of course...

He does a good job, I can't really compare him with anyone because he's the only orthodontist I've had.
Although he's getting kind of old now, and not sure how much longer he plans to work.
He seems to be pretty dedicated though.
I paid a flat rate of $5000, and he continued to work on my teeth for all those years.

In the last 2 years, I was visiting him once every 6 weeks. Quite inconvenient.
My teeth seemed to be straight after the 3rd year, but he always made some minor tweaks here and there.
And then I guess in the final few years, he tried to close up the gaps.

Not really sure. To an average person like me, seemed like my teeth should have been done long ago.

Anyway, my teeth is still fine now, although I only had them removed about 2 years ago.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #47
(ノ _ )ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoDestinyZ View Post
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for a while now. I'm trying to look for a good dental clinic that provides good work for braces, but on the affordable size. I heard it can estimate around 5-8k for yearly maintenance's including braces.

But I'm basically looking at a economic way of getting the job done without going home with an empty pocket.

Any good recommendation would be appreciated.
the cost of braces can vary from $1000-$10000 based on how crowded your teeth are. take the advice of a member and make an appointment with a recommended ortho. the orthodontist will charge you $300 and take a mold of your mouth, study it, then call you back for a real consultation. from there, he will give you a rough estimate for treatment length and the plan for however many years to come.

you've gotta pay to play and i can honestly say that this was the best 6g's i've spent.

i still remember the day i got my braces off. i was so excited that i couldn't stop licking my teeth. the sensation was so weird, yet so satisfying

Last edited by jnesss; 09-04-2013 at 12:25 AM.
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #48

Dr. Charity Sui, clear view ortho on broadway just west of cambie - lots of newer technology, got it done quick, very busy in there. There's a reason I see her at the expensive restaurants I eat, because she's good and charges a pretty penny!!! Seriously, I see her at nice restaurants here and there - small city!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
you dun goofed if it took you 7 years... Did you not wear your rubber bands?? had the same Doctor too
I always wore my elastics. I think he just forgot about when I started. He always made minor adjustments to it. I got it taken off in dec 2011. Around aug 2011 I asked him how much longer since its been a long time...so he looked at my chart and said before xmas...
Posted via RS Mobile
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote