REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Phone is calling people on its own. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687921-phone-calling-people-its-own.html)

Kidnapman 09-04-2013 03:05 PM

Phone is calling people on its own.

Hey revscene. Recently been getting calls from people telling me that I called their phone but infact I never made any calls, not even on my call log. At first I didn't think much of it until I checked the numbers that called me. They all had the same first 3 digits that I had on my phone (Obviously not including the area code). Just wanted to see if this was happening to anyone else. Btw I'm using Fido.

jeedee 09-04-2013 03:08 PM

which phone is it

im guessing you're pocket dialing. Used to happen to me all the time with my old shitberry
Posted via RS Mobile

CRS 09-04-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8313630)
which phone is it

im guessing you're pocket dialing. Used to happen to me all the time with my old shitberry
Posted via RS Mobile

Pocket dial with no history on call log? Doesn't seem likely that he could pocket dial and delete.

seakrait 09-04-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8313630)
which phone is it

Posted via RS Mobile

^^^ pocket dialing would still show up on his call logs though.

I'm on Telus and lately I've been receiving phone calls from numbers with the same first three digits as mine (obv not talking about the area code). I chalk it up to some cellphone spoofing air miles scam (I've never picked up and no messages are left). I can only imagine that my number has appeared on other people's call display as well.
Posted via RS Mobile

Expresso 09-04-2013 03:35 PM

Are you using an iphone?

My buddy's iphone before it crapped out it would randomly call people on its own.

Renthal 09-04-2013 03:40 PM

i'm on rogers with a iphone 3gs and got a text from someone with the same first 3 numbers as my number saying that I called there phone when I never did.. and it didnt show up on my call records.
shits fucked.

Kidnapman 09-04-2013 03:49 PM

really weird. Yeap it's an iphone 4. Just wanted to see if I was the only one. :considered:
Hope more people can chime in if they experienced this.

Berzerker 09-04-2013 04:03 PM

Yup just yesterday mine did the same thing. I got a call back from someone who is NOT in my contact list saying they missed a call from me. iPhone to iPhone. We were texting and I informed him that I did not in fact call his phone. He does share the same first 3 digits as my number. He sent me a screen cap of my number on his call display with the time of call. Very weird. Seems to be a recent and increasing common issue?

Here is a transcript of the texts we shared. It's actuall pretty funny.

Him: I missed a call from you?
Me: Can't be. I don't make calls from this number. When did the call take place?
Here he sends me a pic of the call log.
Me: Odd! I didn't make that call. Must be a glitch in the matrix.
Him: Ya if it happens again, they found our location, Run!
Me: I'll be sure to find a landline ASAP
Him: Good luck! I wish I had taken the other pill
Me: I would have popped both pills, just to see what happens. I'm crazy like that!
Him: Whoa! That's probably all it takes to beat the matrix!

End of texting. Pretty random and funny all things considered. Haha

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

godwin 09-04-2013 05:15 PM

Another possibility is a 3rd party has been spoofing your number.

twitchyzero 09-04-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8313664)
Yup just yesterday mine did the same thing. I got a call back from someone who is NOT in my contact list saying they missed a call from me. iPhone to iPhone. We were texting and I informed him that I did not in fact call his phone. He does share the same first 3 digits as my number. He sent me a screen cap of my number on his call display with the time of call. Very weird. Seems to be a recent and increasing common issue?

Here is a transcript of the texts we shared. It's actuall pretty funny.

Him: I missed a call from you?
Me: Can't be. I don't make calls from this number. When did the call take place?
Here he sends me a pic of the call log.
Me: Odd! I didn't make that call. Must be a glitch in the matrix.
Him: Ya if it happens again, they found our location, Run!
Me: I'll be sure to find a landline ASAP
Him: Good luck! I wish I had taken the other pill
Me: I would have popped both pills, just to see what happens. I'm crazy like that!
Him: Whoa! That's probably all it takes to beat the matrix!

End of texting. Pretty random and funny all things considered. Haha

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

how you didn't end each text with Berz Out is beyond me.

MeowMeow 09-04-2013 05:22 PM

Happened to me while back when I used to use iphone3gs (I'm with fido)
Person with 778 area code texted me saying she had a missed call from me.
I checked the log but no calls were made all day.

kunoman1 09-04-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowMeow (Post 8313709)
Happened to me while back when I used to use iphone3gs (I'm with fido)
Person with 778 area code texted me saying she had a missed call from me.
I checked the log but no calls were made all day.

Hey! That JUST happened to me too!

stewie 09-04-2013 05:43 PM

there used to be a website where you could put two phone numbers in and it would connect the two lines so both people would think they're getting a call from someone. it was called evil operator.

dunno if its still kicking around...but friends used to do it all the time...connect each others phones to pizza hut...two cabbies together...boston pizza to milestones...shit like that.

snails 09-04-2013 05:46 PM

spoof caller.. someone is using your number on an app to call people.

mystery solved.

jeedee 09-04-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 8313725)
there used to be a website where you could put two phone numbers in and it would connect the two lines so both people would think they're getting a call from someone. it was called evil operator.

dunno if its still kicking around...but friends used to do it all the time...connect each others phones to pizza hut...two cabbies together...boston pizza to milestones...shit like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8313728)
spoof caller.. someone is using your number on an app to call people.

mystery solved.

LOL wow.

People just don't have better things to do...

Impreza 09-04-2013 05:51 PM

I'm with Rogers and have been getting these calls every so often. Yesterday I managed to pick one up and it was a recording that that they are from airmiles and I have one airmiles. I'm thinking they are spoofing numbers.
Posted via RS Mobile

BrRsn 09-04-2013 07:12 PM

were you drunk when your phone was supposedly making these calls?

happens to me every saturday night too -- mostly ex GF's -- my phone apparently calls them and sobs "BUT I STIL LOOAAAVEE YOUUUUU" -- Strange. Must be an android OS problem -- should be fixed in the next update!

StylinRed 09-04-2013 07:26 PM

telephone spoofing

scamster/pranksters paradise

canucksfan 09-04-2013 09:23 PM

Happened to me twice this week (iPhone 5). I didn't pick up either time, and no messages were left. I thought it was just a coincidence that it was the same 3 digits as me but I'm glad I'm not the only one getting these calls.

So is my phone making random calls to people, and these are people who just called me back to see what's up? Or are they telemarketers?

GoneGuru 09-04-2013 09:34 PM

Had this happen to me before. The guy got angry at me because I said I didn't call him, but he kept saying I did. Told him to fuck off, and then hung up.

Ikkaku 09-04-2013 09:39 PM

spoofing pretty much means they are somehow dialing to other people using your number as a mask, but it doesn't mean your phone is actually making the calls.

For example: Someone comes up to you with a Obama mask on. It doesn't mean the actual Obama is there, just someone who is hiding behind a mask.

jack3d 09-04-2013 10:21 PM

happened to my dads iphone on fido as well. it was whenever he called his voice mail , it would call somebody else. its weird

Berzerker 09-05-2013 12:23 AM

What's the point of doing this?

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

van_city23 09-05-2013 01:41 PM

I don't think its a spoof if so many ppl are being called by this. I just got a missed call from a number with the same 3 first digits after the area code as well. I think it's a glitch rather than a spoof unless someone had a ridiculous amount of free time on their hands.

Harvey Specter 09-05-2013 01:50 PM

Why not call the carrier and report it?