REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
I STILL don't get it

[MATURE DISCUSSION] First date ideas

Hey guys and girls! I'm looking for good suggestions and ideas on places, activities, things to do on a first date. Something that won't bore her, though I feel that's really dependent on me. They say preparation is half the battle, and this forum (!!!) is one of the better resources available.

Possibly relevant information:
a) My last date was in 2008, where I took a girl to Cactus Club and a movie. Yeah, that date stunk like a dead skunk. I've been out of the dating scene ever since.
b) I managed to somehow get her interest with a lame joke about walking with her, but charging extra for conversation. So I got to get her walking, somehow.
c) She told me to surprise her. Jesus Christ, can't you girls just tell us what you want?
d) She's getting into engineering. That one's easy conversation material, since I'm in engineering...

So far, what I have is from a week-long brainstorming session:
1) Pick her up in the afternoon, go to Science World. All right! It's (probably) in her interests!
2) ????? Yeah, I have no clue what the hell I'm going do at Science World... It's a place for kids... Though there's False Creek... is there a place to sit and chat outside if we get bored of Science World?
3) Go to Guu in Gastown, or some other izakaya downtown at around 6:30, 7:00 maybe and share food, and talk. No alcohol. This isn't a one night stand, this is for long term.
4) The nightcap: Bella Gelato place below Fairmont, then walk around the Olympic Flame, more chatting, maybe? I'm not quite sure about this one either, since it's no longer summer and it's starting to get chilly. Someone mentioned Cheesecake Etc. in the Last Date thread, that seems interesting, though that takes me out of any scenic walks territory. Bubble tea's my comfort zone, but that's not impressive enough, personally.
5) BONUS ROUND: If she agrees, take her up to Cypress Mountain's vantage point and show her the Vancouver skyline at night. Personally, I think that view is the clincher. The Mariano Rivera in this game, so to speak.

So basically, that's what was revealed to me by my spirit animal. It sure seems really complex, getting from one spot and then the next, so it's not as fluid and organic as I'd like. Personally I'd eliminate the Science World deal and just take her straight to dinner, just to keep things simple. My friends have twice suggested the Aquarium, a female friend told me to just keep it simple and walk on the beach and stuff.

Any criticisms of such a game plan? Any tweaks, things that might need to be addressed before I suit up and execute? Thanks, guys and girls of Revscene! I'm planning on running through my itinerary on Friday night, just to make sure everything is on lockdown. (Yeah, you can say I'm over-analyzing things, but Navy SEALs just don't infiltrate a location without running through it at least once...)

(That's right, I compared this date to a Navy SEAL operation.)

jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

congrats on getting back into the game

first of all, are u sure u want long term? u said u havnt dated for such a long time, and now u want to go long term?

b) the premise (even though half jokingly) was just for a walk. so based on this, i think her expectations are pretty low already. so u are in good hands, u dont need to impress her with the whole dog and pony show
c) surprises. everyone loves surprises. fuck i love it when i get complimentary dessert out of the blue

she wants to have fun

d)unless engineering gets her wet, i suggest u stay away from such heavy topics. plus u wouldnt want it to feel like school. you also want her to think more in the other hemisphere of the brain

as for your plan:
science world is not bad. u get some walking and some interaction. and theres plenty to talk about. it would be a good staging for the rest of the date for something to at least refer if it gets dull

no alcohol? i would get some in the system. to loosten things up. its not like its an instant panty dropper either. so it doesnt really correlate to ONS
and say if you do have sex on the first date. it could turn out in favor of the relationship. so you dont end up friendzoned later on if she misreads your intentions (you could fill us in on that actually. more context on ur relationship with her is helpful)

all in all, just have fun being yourself.
and maybe to make it more seamless between Gelato and Cypress, maybe just get it to go--hop in your car with it and start driving

And why ask to take her to Cypress? just take her. unless she has a strict curfew or something (ask at the beginning of night maybe? although i have almost never had to ask this question lol)

the more places you explore(hopefully in a close vicinity though) the better. it just makes the date seem like more of an adventure. [yeah ur a SEAL, chasing ur target through 4 different sites. the final battle is at the top of the mountain. you capture it then you get a statute erected in your honour]

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
seems a little intense for a first date, dude.

also...if you are going to have her walk around all day, tell her to wear comfortable shoes. no chick likes to spend the day walking around in heels....they look awesome, but can hurt like a bitch.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
So far, what I have is from a week-long brainstorming session:
1) Pick her up in the afternoon, go to Science World. All right! It's (probably) in her interests!
2) ????? Yeah, I have no clue what the hell I'm going do at Science World... It's a place for kids... Though there's False Creek... is there a place to sit and chat outside if we get bored of Science World?
3) Go to Guu in Gastown, or some other izakaya downtown at around 6:30, 7:00 maybe and share food, and talk. No alcohol. This isn't a one night stand, this is for long term.
4) The nightcap: Bella Gelato place below Fairmont, then walk around the Olympic Flame, more chatting, maybe? I'm not quite sure about this one either, since it's no longer summer and it's starting to get chilly. Someone mentioned Cheesecake Etc. in the Last Date thread, that seems interesting, though that takes me out of any scenic walks territory. Bubble tea's my comfort zone, but that's not impressive enough, personally.
5) BONUS ROUND: If she agrees, take her up to Cypress Mountain's vantage point and show her the Vancouver skyline at night. Personally, I think that view is the clincher. The Mariano Rivera in this game, so to speak.
IMO, that's a very boring list. She said she wanted a surprise and you literally picked every spot the average tourist would go to.

Only good one on that list is Cypress. If she's the outdoor type, everything they listed on their website looks far more interesting than what you came up with.

Summer Activities | Cypress Mountain

Geocaching and Disc Golf is something I've always been curious about but never tried. Those would be my pick if I was in your place.

End of the day if she's into you, it doesn't matter where you go or do. Hell, take her fishing.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Sunday, food cart fest. Olympic village area is nice to walk around on a date, and it's massive fun
Posted via RS Mobile
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
everyone is different so i cant suggest what you do and where you take her.. but!

do what you are comfortable with! you are going to be nervous as it is so might as well get in a bit of a comfort zone so you are never lost for words or activities.. i dont mean do something routine.. but if there is somewhere you like to go, im sure you can entertain +1

i like to do things to stay active so there isnt as much pressure, something where you guys arnt forced into awkward conversation like dinner across from each other.. that is until you guys both loosen up a bit and get more comfortable.

if the girl likes you she will not just dislike you because the date wasnt perfect, chances that she is just as nervous as you is pretty high.

good luck sir.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
if she wants fun, don't go walking around for 6 hours talking about nothing.

go somewhere that's actually fun!

pick her up mid afternoon for an early dinner, let the food sit for a bit, maybe have a drink or two. then head somewhere that you two can actually have FUN. try go karting, an arcade, the trampoline park(fucking awesome btw), castle fun theme park. somewhere the both of you can laugh at each other and with each other. going up to cypress at the end of the night seems a little obvious as to what you want lol. save that for the 2nd or 3rd date

anyways, after you guys have had fun on your date, do the ice cream thing like you said. if you know a place that's close to her home, park at the ice cream place and walk her home and just give her a kiss at the end of the night(no, not a make out session!) tell her you had fun and you think you two should do something again. then walk back to your car, go home, and rub one out like the rest of the world does after a first date (unless you can score on the first date..if you can though..id be worried about her lol)
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

thanks for the feedback!! im reading it over now, hopefully i can formulate a better gameplan with the info you guys provided!
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
I don't get it

My critique: that's just way too long of a first date.

Keep it short and sweet, choose 2 things out of your list.
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
You sound too serious. It's a date, not brain surgery. You're supposed to have fun. If you're not having fun she probably isn't either. Loosen up. You don't need a "game plan". Just pick some activities and git 'er done.
Sorry, but a lot of your planned date sounds overplanned and boring.

Here's one thing that would be fun: Meadows corn maze + petting zoo. (There's also an entertainment book coupon if you have one)

Also, please don't tell her "No alcohol. This isn't a one night stand, this is for long term." That would be creepy.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Rent bikes at Stanley Park and bike around the seawall. There are places to stop to grab a quick snack, or to just enjoy the view. Return your bikes, head to Guu or Gyoza King on Robson for some food and an atmosphere that will drive the conversation.

If all goes well, then take a walk down to Bella Gelato, or Thierry. Drop her off at home and give her a good night peck. If she wants more, she'll invite you inside.

If you two like each other, the conversation will just flow. If you don't have chemistry, it will be pretty evident during the date. So, you win whatever the outcome.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
How I Mod your mother

Your itinerary sounds far from simple.

What will be left for you to do by the third date?

Besides the obvious..

Just do a couple small things; dinner and dessert. The point of a date is to get to know each other, not try to do as many things in one night as you can.

You don't need to impress her or go above and beyond because she's already out with you. Just take things slow.

If things are going well, feel out her vibe and see if she's up for a little walk after your dinner and dessert.

Just remember that a great date doesn't need to consist of lavish ideas. If you both dig each other it'll be a great time regardless of what you do.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Put yourself in the girl's shoes....don't make her jump on a trampoline....don't make her gokart....don't make her go to a pseudo-amusement park to play games against each other.

she will want to look nice and put together...the last thing she will want will be to mess up her hair and make-up. It sounds silly, but its true.

Whats wrong with dinner and dessert as Yaminashi has suggested? Ease into this shit....are you going to also be the type of guy who buys her a Gucci purse for your one-month anniversary??
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Get to know each other more. I've learned from my experiences is that when it never is perfect in the date. She could feel tired or the mood changes and then she doesn't want to go to the movie anymore. Have some plans in mind on a whim and go with the flow. Dinner obviously, but ask her what she wants to do. Have some ideas and suggest them.
Movie, coffee, a walk, Q.E. Park. Let her choose if she doesn't, then do what YOU want.

I've learned the hard way (Multiple dates ended up not having a gf) that #1. Nothing goes to plan. #2. Don't stress about the plan so much, just have fun. Whatever happens happens--be fluid, adapt. #3 Don't do so many things at once. Keep it simple. If you're dinnering in downtown don't fly to Metrotown for a movie night and then Richmond for a walk.
My point is that dates are dates. The first couple are important, but don't stress yourself out too much and don't blow your cash too fast. Keep things real. Do things that are sustainable. If you don't impress her with your lifestyle then she can buzz off. Don't think about the date too much, and save yourself some time and money if things don't work out. Gas is expensive. <--- learned the hard way.
Lamboda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
+1 for a corn maze. If you go in the evening, lots of these places also have a firepit where you can have a hot chocolate and roast marshmellows. Plus evening time means no kids.

Personally I avoid lunch/dinner on the first couple dates. I'd rather spend that time doing something fun and not having my mouth full of food, unable to communicate. That said, you can always grab some sushi or some easy Chinese food take out and go hit up a park bench at a beach during sunset. At least this way you've got something else to look at instead of watching each other awkwardly eat. lol
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Put yourself in the girl's shoes....don't make her jump on a trampoline....don't make her gokart....don't make her go to a pseudo-amusement park to play games against each other.

she will want to look nice and put together...the last thing she will want will be to mess up her hair and make-up. It sounds silly, but its true.
Funny enough, the best relationships I've ever had started with a first date going to Castle Fun Park or doing something similar. It's fun, it's low key, you get to flirt while playing a lot of the games, and it's not the typical dinner/movie thing.

Obviously to each their own and it's always going to be different on what that specific person you're attempting to woo prefers, but that's just been my experience.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

Whats wrong with dinner and dessert as Yaminashi has suggested? Ease into this shit....are you going to also be the type of guy who buys her a Gucci purse for your one-month anniversary??
Agreed.

Something like what Dinosaur said.

--------------

How about this?

Make it simple, short, and sweet (desserts!)...

Dinner at a nice restaurant to "surprise" her, dessert at the same restaurant (or at Thierry which is always good), and a short walk and then ... drive her back and hopefully, if the mood is right, a kiss...

Or, dinner near Thierry, short walk to Thierry for dessert, walk around Robson if you want... and then home?

The surprise will be the location of the dinner.

A rose maybe? Not a bouquet... but a single rose to make it sweet (you can get bouquets when you are more serious about her later in later dates).

Make a good impression!

Plan for the NEXT date (hopefully... and longer) with your list in the first post.

Good luck and have fun!
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
My first date with current gf...

dinner at white rock pier area restaurant, walk along the pier and just chat, it was a little chilly so gave us an excuse to get closer.

simple... and be a gentleman.

Spoiler!
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
RS controls my life!

First dates should be long enough to get to know the person and short enough to have an escape route if it sucks. I say dinner. If all goes well during dinner, a walk and dessert is sufficient.
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
How I Met Your Mother S04E09 - The Naked Man on Vimeo

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
there is a reason ppl say "i like long walks on the beach and candle lit dinners" ...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Funny enough, the best relationships I've ever had started with a first date going to Castle Fun Park or doing something similar. It's fun, it's low key, you get to flirt while playing a lot of the games, and it's not the typical dinner/movie thing.

Obviously to each their own and it's always going to be different on what that specific person you're attempting to woo prefers, but that's just been my experience.
more than half the first dates ive ever gone on have been at castle fun park lol.

for what dino said, I guess its the type of girl your going on a date with. for me, I don't care how well she can do her hair or how tight of a dress she can squeeze her butt into, its a + if she can, but its not needed. those are the first dates where id be bored out of my mind. im not saying getting dressed up is bad, but I prefer to save those for the "nice dates", the ones where I surprise the gf with, i'll just tell her to look pretty and classy for 7pm, and i'll take it from there. every other date is just our everyday clothes doing something we can both enjoy.

i enjoy a challenge, so for me to do fun dates at first is a nice and easy way for me to see if i can put up with her and her humor/lack of humor/personality etc. if its a first date, i don't find it necessary to drop hundreds of dollars on dinner and drinks at a nice restaurant trying to impress her if im not sure it'll go anywhere. but if i go on a fun first date and it goes nowhere, at least i can say i still had an awesome time lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
there is a reason ppl say "i like long walks on the beach and candle lit dinners" ...

guys say that? if so they're bullshitting just to get laid lol...
if a girl says that...im guessing more times than not shes just saying that to get a nice dinner with her knowing it wont last more than 1 date

i enjoy long walks on the lake and hotdogs roasting over a camp fire. that's my dream girls response
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Doing something fun like Science world is cool, because if it's not going well, you're still entertained, but I agree with others that this would be a long date. My suggestion would be dinner and dessert and if it's going well take her to Cypress. If that all goes well, the second date can be longer.

First official date with my current SO was a casual dinner and then we grabbed hot chocolate and drove to Cypress lookout. It was a pretty good date.
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

if the weather is good, check out the vancouver food cart festival. take her there and walk to science world along the water.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
First "real" date for me about three weeks ago was playing some games at CHQ, then went to Wings for dinner, and then spent some time watching people fish and boat at Richmond Dyke. Kiddish date, but we hit it off and it's led to more dates.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: